Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default New to Everything

I'm new to this board & new to diabetes. I have not yet gotten my testing machine. I just joined Jenny Craig. I'm hoping I will be able to eat their foods once a nutritionist works up my program.

Has anyone had any experience with doing Jenny Craig as a diabetic?

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning LYNN . . .

Welcome to the Diabetes Support forum. Hope you'll become one of our regulars. Please have a look at the Getting to Know You (Sticky) entries and then come on over and join us on the monthly Dieting with Diabetes thread. Here is a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105981

Actually, I've not heard any of our group mention Jenny Craig or any of the other pre-packaged plans. Both Sugar Busters and South Beach, as well as Volumetrics, are definitely in sync with the stuff Diabetics need to watch for. Ensuring that your carbs are controlled and well-blanced throughout the day is probably the biggest dietary thing to watch for. Your Dietician will be able to guide you in the right direction. Personally, I tend to follow the CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association) guidelines and track all the major nutrients -- Carbs, Fibre, Fat, and Protein -- with a little home made Excel program.

Anyway, next to regular testing (so get your metre and test strips ASAP), losing weight and getting some regular exercise are the two most important things you can do to gain and keep control of your Blood Glucose levels. Unfortunately Diabetes does not make it any easier to lose weight, but it can be done. What meds are you taking? Most diabetes medications (except Metformin) are noted for adding weight rather than subtracting it. Although some of our members have had some good results with the new Byetta as well.

You have a good day, now, and we'll all be looking forward to chatting with you in the future.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Lady Lynn, and a big wave southward from Eastern Ontario.

I'm a type II diabetic and have been able to bring my readings into normal range by following South Beach which focuses on GOOD carbs much the same as Sugar Busters does. I've been less successful with weightloss but am working on it.

Hang out with us. You already know 3FC is a great spot for information and support.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote