Exercise! - When will you stop exercising?

View Full Version : When will you stop exercising?

cbmare
03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm just really beginning to take it seriously. However, I know I won't be able to do it the rest of my life. Right now, I'm glad I'm not built like my mom. She always prided herself on being thin. She just couldn't understand why we (my 2 sibs and daddy) couldn't lose weight. To her, it was a matter of will power. Anyway, she's 89 and in extremely poor health. Osteoporosis has grabbed her and isn't letting go. She did walk quite a bit all of her life. Now she can barely move without extreme pain.

It's going to take quite a bit for me. This elbow pain is getting better. It's been since Sept and I'm going 2ce a week for therapy on it and it is helping. That limited me for a bit. Knee pain bothers me at times. Apparently that runs in our family. I'm sure taking a few hundred ounces off will make them happier. Plantar faciitis in both feet has really been a problem. I'm trying different shoes for different activities and it seems to help. There again, taking a few hundred ounces off should make them happier.

I'm just wondering what it will take to make some of you stop?

CharlieBaby
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
...why would you stop? I think, as we age (and at the age of 28, it may be cheeky for me to say something like that), the kind of exercise we do will change, but why stop entirely? My folks, both 60 this year, are avid bikers and walkers, and have recently taken up kayaking. My dad's always been super active but this is new for my mom. She started to worry that the heart disease that runs in her family would extend to her, so she got moving. She now routinely bikes up to 90 kms a day when they do big trips. She's also started a weights regime to build bone mass in an effort to try to avoid osteoporosis.

I hope that exercise - which, in my current lazy state, I can only bring myself to do a couple times a week right now - will always be in my life, in some form. I don't think I'll be running 10k races when I'm 80, but I hope I'll still be able to get around - walk my dog, play with grandkids, if I have them, etc. I hope nothing stops me. That may be wishful thinking ;)

Meg
03-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I'll stop on the day I die. :D

Injuries and aging simply mean you need to adapt your exercising, not stop. :)

srmb60
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I've never been much good at sitting still. So maybe right after they pry the diet coke outta my cold dead hand.

I already have waaaaay less creaks and crackles than I had a couple of years ago. I'm not doubting that I'll be even more fit in the future.

CinnamonGirl
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I will always remember a great banana commercial from a few years ago that had this beautiful 80-something year old woman that swims laps in the lake everyday. She's my role model. :) There was another one where an 80-something man was running hurdles. If they can do it so can we. OK, maybe not to that extent as everyones genetics are a bit different but what a great goal to have. I hope and plan to be exercising until the day I die!

Beth

LisaMarie71
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I agree with everyone else -- I can't even imagine stopping. If something happened to my health and I couldn't move, I suppose I'd have to. But until that happens, I'll be doing some form of exercise until the day I die. It makes me feel too good to stop. Also, I really don't want to gain the weight back, and stopping exercising would be a surefire way to do that, so yeah...bad idea.

The problems you have with knee pain and plantar fasciitis (which I know is very painful) obviously make it more difficult, so I hope you can find something great and pain-free, something that you love so much you'll never even consider stopping.

rockinrobin
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I'll stop exercising the day I stop eating. So for all intents and purposes that would be a big fat never. G-d willing I will be able to exercise til the day I die. After going so many years with ZERO intentional exercise I never, ever again plan to be without exercise in my life, bad knees and all.

hikerchick
03-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Susan I was thinking "the day they pry those running shoes from my cold dead..." But I think that has been taken.

I am totally the opposite of Susan I am inertia queen. Luckily I am compulsive and now that I am compulsive about exercise there is no stopping me.

Obsidianbbw
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I am actually sore from a new weight workout. I don't exercise everyday, but I can't see myself not doing it again.....does not compute...LOL. If I skip more than 2-3 days I start getting antsy.....Also no desire to give up all the good things that have happened and slide back into non movement....I will say at first it was a chore and I had to really push myself to do it, now I look forward to and get annoyed when I plan to workout and something interrupts the plan.

When I first started (not all that long ago) I had lots of knee pain and heel pain in my left foot. I bought 2 supposedly great pairs of sneaker and they just made it worse. I finally went to the runners store and got fitted with a truly great pair. Between losing some weight and working out consistently no more knee pain and only the occasional twinge in the heel.

BlueToBlue
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
There was a woman in my gym the other day that had to be in her 70's. At first she and her husband were just walking on the treadmill, which is about all I expected them to do. But then later I saw her doing the butt blaster (weight machine where you are on your hands and knees and lifting a weight by stretching your leg straight into the air behind you; yes, it is as hard as it sounds). She looked totally fragile but her she was doing the machine that, frankly, I try to avoid myself!

I expect that the type of exercise I do will change over time, but I don't have plans to stop exercising. I have said that when I hit 80, all bets are off. But I'm thinking more in terms of eating--when I hit 80, I'm eating whatever I want.

I know that when I first started exercising, I was really daunted by the idea of continuing to do it everyday for the rest of my life, and sometimes I still feel a little overwhelmed when I think about it that way. But as time has gone on and exercise has become more of a habit and less of a chore--and I've actually come to look forward to it sometimes--the thought of continuing to exercise for the rest of my life has seemed less impossible.

tikanique
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
My DD's great grandmother (95) goes for walks, and also gets on that exercise thingy where you sit on the seat and pull the handles toward you while pushing out and forward on the foot pedals a couple times a week. She is so cool!

Tiki

kaplods
03-12-2007, 05:37 PM
My grandfather-in-law is 85 and walks at least a mile every day, even though he has extremely severe back pain. He and his wife also have a stationery bike they have used regularly (although I think he had to give up the bicycle recently because of the back pain).

My father-in-law has MS, severe PAD, has been wheelchair bound for about 10 years now, and had to have a leg amputated last year. He still lifts weights and until right before his amputation, was swimming weekly at a warm water pool. He can't get some of his medical equipment wet any more so he can't get in the water anymore, but he does what he can.

I'm not as dedicated as either one of them yet, but they're my role models. My father-in-law told me about the warm water pool, and I LOVE it. I love the water, and would swim three times a day, if I could. When I herniated a disc in my back about ten years ago, that's exactly what I did. The buoyancy of the water was the only thing that relieved the pain enough to allow me to go back to work, so I swam before work, on my lunch hour (luckily I had a flexible work schedule), and after work.

My dream is to have an endless pool (the water "treadmill" type narrow pool that allows you to swim in place) someday. However, since they run about $18,000, I'm not sure that's likely.

midwife
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
When I consider the athletes who complete marathons and other amazing endeavors lacking legs, arms, or who have other challenges, I know that (for me) aging will be no excuse. If an 80 year old can run a marathon, I can run three miles. If my joints crap out, then I will need to change what I do, but there are always always options.

srmb60
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I stole the cold dead hands thing from Maintainer's. We were talking about coffee one day. ;)

cbmare
03-12-2007, 06:12 PM

:rofl: I thought of you when I posted this thread. Somehow I picture the lid to your coffin bumping up and down because your spirit will be in there pumping iron. :D

canadian mom
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

I couldn't say it better myself!

Meg
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh Mare, you just made my day! :lol3:

I keep saying that I want to be a little old lady in the nursing home doing squats, but your idea is even better.

Would you believe that I spent the first 46 years of my life convinced that I loathed exercise with a passion? I'm still not sure I really like it, but I really like the results. :D

YP1
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I read the question and thought why? why would I want to stop? As others have said, hopefully I'll adapt to suit my abilities rather than giving up entirely. For one thing, my only hope of winning races is likely to come when I'm a vet ;)

I want to be that 70 year old who still runs. Maybe not fast, but still out there and still doing it. I can't imagine not being a runner, it's changed my life in so many ways.

cbmare
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Would you believe that I spent the first 46 years of my life convinced that I loathed exercise with a passion? I'm still not sure I really like it, but I really like the results. :D

I've recently had to change my words. I've always hated exercise. However, I have enjoyed physical activity. I don't mind hiking upstream several miles to find a fishing hole that I like. Well guess what?! That was hiking!

I don't mind (well, I'm beginning to mind) going up to the mountains, driving down 13 miles of unimproved mountain logging road and setting up camp by myself. Guess what?! That's weight lifting! Trust me, pitching a 15 x 11 tent, carrying propane tanks (5 gal), going to get water in a 3 gallon bucket, gathering and splitting firewood plus getting all the other stuff out of the back of the truck is a lot of work! It takes over an hour if I push it. I take breathers now so it takes about 2 hours.

My change of words? I like physical activity! My WATP dvds are physical activity not exercise. If that is what I have to say to myself to stay motivated, I'm doing it.

Glad I made your day. :D

Ilene
03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
When I first started exercising, when I was around 28 my mom asked me the exact same question: "When will you stop exercising?" At 28 I told her I would do it till I was 40 at least... I'm 50 now and there is no way in heck I will ever stop exercising, like Meg said, "I will stop when I die!" I actually exercise more hours per day now than I did when I was 30sh because I have more time, the kids are grown, etc...

SexyRevealed
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I plan to never stop. This is for life.

And here is my role model. Shoot, I wish I looked like this NOW!

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-08-03/naked.shtml (It's not naked, don't know why the page is called that... LOL.)

http://www.momsonthemove.com/show_detail.asp?id=45 (a video)

drake3272004
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I plan to never stop. This is for life.

And here is my role model. Shoot, I wish I looked like this NOW!

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/20...03/naked.shtml (It's not naked, don't know why the page is called that... LOL.)

http://www.momsonthemove.com/show_detail.asp?id=45 (a video)

WOW Ript at 86! And for her cats! What inspiration:carrot:

Ilene
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
:woohoo: those pics are AWESOME!! That's ME at that age!!

cbmare
03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Holy Cow! I gotta work harder!

2frustrated
03-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I :love: that lady! If I look anywhere near as good as that at ANY age I will be stoked! :D

cbmare
03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I :love: that lady! If I look anywhere near as good as that at ANY age I will be stoked! :D

:rofl: Can you imagine the looks her grand and greatgrand kids get when they say she's in a lifting competition?

Your great grandmother is doing what?

tikanique
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I want to be HER when I grow up!

Tiki

silverbirch
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I heard this nice piece on the radio today about Joy Shellard who's 79 and competes in ice skating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/04/2007_11_tue.shtml

Apparently, she can go lower than any of the others in the group and ... jump higher! :cool:

cbmare
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I heard this nice piece on the radio today about Joy Shellard who's 79 and competes in ice skating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/04/2007_11_tue.shtml

Apparently, she can go lower than any of the others in the group and ... jump higher! :cool:

I read the little blurb. It wouldn't let me listen to it. I got a delightful voice stating, "Sorry. We can't bring you the program you requested." :(

These women are great!

silverbirch
03-13-2007, 05:55 PM
"Sorry. We can't bring you the program you requested."

Yes, that's our BBC voice! Sorry you couldn't hear it. At the end of the interview, Joy's younger friends all said they wanted to be like Joy when they were her age and be able to go so low and jump so high! They want to be like her when they grow up.

Brilliant! They are all marvellous.

btw, I bumped into one of my gymn friends in the supermarket this morning and he told me he is 75. I had no idea! I thought he might be about 65! He was just killing time before he went to one of his stretch classes....

junebug41
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
CB- in relation to your first post, my mother is the same way- thin her ENTIRE life, even when she was pregnant. This woman wouldn't know scale shock if it knocked her upside the head. She is now in her 50's and completely disabled. Her doctors (and me) have tried to get her moving, but it is incredibly hard for her. She never learned what it was like to work for her health and I think the older she gets, the more difficult it is for her to grasp that concept- that it won't come naturally forever. With that said, I believe in working through pain and the power of exercise for things like stress relief (aside from weight management). I'm hoping this will serve me when I get older. Have you thought about physical therapy? They can get you doing exercises that won't put as much stress on you. My SO and I also do a begginner yoga class on saturdays and there is this group of older ladies (65+) that comes and whenever the instructor asks us to introduce ourselves they launch into the details of their ailments at the time and they aren't as flexible as say the ballet dancer that shows up, but boy do they feel good afterwards anyway.

And speaking of ice skating- I used to work for an ice arena and we had our senior regulars every day. One, Morris, was well into his nineties and would spend half the session lacing up his skates and the other half skating his one lap. Now, for a 90 year old, that is something. It just scares me to think of what could happen to them. One of our most dear regulars had his pacemaker sputter out on him while he was on the ice and now it makes me nervous when he gets on the ice, but I'm sure he is in better health than most college students I know anyway.

cbmare
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Jen,

My mom walked and bowled into her 70s. She fell one day while removing the oven door for cleaning. She hasn't been the same since. I'm sorry to hear that your mom is in such bad shape. We are peers. While I'm out of shape and overweight, I can't imagine myself being totally disabled. That is sad for someone who is so young.

As for me, my knees have hated me all my adult life. I have to be careful on my bicycle. I sometimes have to stop and rest if I'm out for more than an hour. I try to use the middle speeds so I don't have too many revolutions nor hard to peddle.

I had my sports dude work on my knees last year. They are still improved from that. It's just that I've started working out and they are just miffed with me for making them work. There are some things they don't like to do. Honestly! Sometimes I think they're more stubborn than my kids were during the terrible 2s and trying 3s!

almostheaven
03-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Stop? We're supposed to stop? Anytime I even get such a though, I think about Alton on the WATP videos...72 yo Alton plugging away with all those young women. What exercises did Stom Thurman say he did every morning before he died? If he still exercised every morning at 100, I see no reason to stop.

ennay
03-15-2007, 01:08 AM
death

cbmare
03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
death

Try not to take up the whole board by being so wordy next time, will ya?

:rofl: You crack me up!

Is that really me
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
My aunt and uncle - who are both in their 80's - walked and swam most of their life. They never did any weight/strength stuff, just the walking and swimming. They are both now in a retirement home. They had their own apt. until they were in a car accident while driving to my uncle's brothers funeral. My aunt fractured her back. They fused it. Then she tripped over my uncle and fractured her back. They fused it. She fell again but only got bruised. Then she fainted and she fractured her back again. They fused it.

I often wonder if she had done weight bearing exercises along w/the walks and swims would she have staved off the osteoporosis to a certain extent? They are both now in the medical part of the retirement home. My uncle was dx'd w/leukimia and my aunt is in a wheel chair (she's afraid of falling again). This absolutely keeps me motivated and intent on exercising and lifting weights forever.

Jo

ennay
03-16-2007, 12:35 AM
mare - seriously though, my mom has had both knees replaced so now she swims and rides bike and walks. She was a cyclist before and she would not let them graduate her out of physical therapy until she could ride again. She does occasionally have to walk the steepest hills, but she can still ride 30-50 miles.

She finished her first triathlon at 70. She was dead last, but she finished it.

aphil
03-17-2007, 01:03 PM

I also plan to stop exercising only due to death. My mother is a head nurse at a nursing home...and from her experience, the people who "stop" moving are in there bedridden and arthritic, with osteoporosis-while many people the same age are out strolling the local walkway every day, and taking water aerobics, etc. There is a lot of truth to the phrase "use it or lose it".

I realize that when I am 80 that I won't be able to do the exercise that I am doing now-but I will be able to walk, do some dancing, light weights, swimming, etc.-and I plan on doing it. Not only for my weight...but for longetivity, vitality, my bones, and basically general health.

ennay
03-17-2007, 01:09 PM
and they show the best prevention for alzheimers is exercise. alzheimers scares me more than any other ailment