Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #1  

Angry Mothers and Diets...Ugh

Ok so, I have gone on a diet before. When I was 11. I lost 30 lbs. in like 3 months. My mother was practically starving me, because she was starving herself. Like we ate the bare minimum. She lost 70 lbs. I keep telling her I do better on my own. Because If I tell her im going on a diet its like she puts a leash on me and she leads the way. Thats not how I run my diets. I have to do it on my own and at my own pass. Sometimes when she gets on my case about food I just want to rip her head off! -.- does anyone else have this or have had this problem?
PatheticallyCriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #2  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

Exact opposite, my mother always nags me and says I am to skinny. If she had been more realistic I think I would have been more apt to believe her on other things. But instead if I lose any weight she thinks I am getting an eating disorder and becomes "very concerned" ... mind you the least I have ever weighed is 145, nothing close to super skinny LOL

I moved out of state and as horrible as it is to say this, it really helped. I love her but I can't deal with her head trips. --Sumi
sumisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #3  
Losin' it forever!

I'm forty years old and married and I still have this problem! If my mother knows I am dieting, or in my case, living a more healthy lifestyle, she tries to monitor everything when she is around me. (Thankfully, we don't live with her!). She is also the person who, when she is not monitoring me, is trying to send me home from her house with cake, pie, etc, so that she "won't eat it."

Maybe you just need to try to sit her down and explain that you are handling this one on your own. Tell her that you are aware of your weight and you know the right and wrong food choices for you to make, but they are still your choices, even if she doesn't feel they are the best ones at times. You could even tell her that you want her support and encouragement but not her policing of you.

Good luck! Moms can be hard work (I also know this because I am one! )
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah unfortunately mothers have a way of doing that. I've been overweight since a young age as well and all along my mom dragged me to doctors, put me on diets, harrassed me about my weight, etc. She still harrasses me but a little less these days since I lost quite a bit of weight already.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #5  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Yup, my mom too. Thankfully, now I'm an adult and live 800 miles away. That's the biggest help that ever happened.

She put me on my first diet at age 8. Herbalife shakes and dragged me to aerobics/jazzercise classes from the time I was 6 until I was to big for her to force me too. Stepdad, same thing, restricted food intake and a huge workout program, aerobics tapes, 3 times a day, run 3-5 miles and lift weights. It worked, I lost 40 pounds in 2 months, however, it didn't stick because I didn't LEARN how to do it myself. Once I was on my own, back to my old habits because those had never been dealt with. I truly feel parents in general do all of this insanity out of genuine love and concern, not all parents do, but most do, I feel. If you never learn to eat right, and work out etc, it doesn't do mom and dad any good to force you too. You'll revert to bad habits if you're never taught good ones.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

When I was younger and living at home, my mother was overweight. In fact, she became the designated fat person in our family. We use to say very rude and cruel things to her about her weight, all in the guise of being funny.

Well, I grew older and I managed to surpass her highest weight by at least 15 pounds. She never said anything to me about dieting or losing weight. I think she learned over the years not to bring up certain subjects.

She died about a year and a half ago. She was no longer overweight. And I would really be happy if I could tell her that I've managed to lose weight and become healthier.

So keep some perspective on these things. It's not about your mother, it's about you.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #7  

Also, if your do this right you make lifestyle changes and you never go on a diet. Diets don't work in the long run.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #8  
TRIATHLETE!!!!!

S/C/G: 274/255/130

Height: 5' 5"

I think we all have difficult family members. My mom never outright restricted, but she and my dad would make little comments from time to time. Nothing overtly mean, just little things like a gasped, "Oh, my!" during a dress fitting. And my dietary choices were criticized - I either ate too much or not enough. (Sometimes true, sometimes not.)

I actually have larger problems with my in-laws & their food pushing. (My sister-in-law is particularly bad about this.)

Anyway, I'm sorry you're not getting the support you need at home. I totally understand wanting to keep your plans a secret from your mom - I did the same thing when I still lived with my folks to avoid the running commentary on what I was (or was not) eating.
cinderly is offline   Reply With Quote