Exercise! - Cool Runners - March

View Full Version : Cool Runners - March

YP1
03-02-2007, 09:00 AM
I posted on the old thread this morning and only just realised we need a new one :o

Anyway, hope you're all OK and I look forward to hearing your news this month!

LisaMarie71
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Oops, I posted there too...

Helen, I just read about you planning your 18-20 mile run. Wow! I'm so impressed with your running. I know I've said it before, but honestly -- you're such an inspiration.

My husband got a Runner's World magazine in the mail yesterday (we're not sure why -- his subscription ran out ages ago) and I immediately devoured that thing cover to cover. Afterward I realized that I really am hooked now. I look up info on running, I talk to my husband about it all the time, I constantly look forward to my next run -- it's a bit of an obsession, but a good one. I've been into different forms of exercise before, in little phases, but I've never really cared about getting better at something. With running, I'm really devoted to getting better and stronger and faster (without pushing too much and injuring myself, of course). I think a big part of that is the inspiration I get here at 3FC.

Anyway, looking forward to another month of running and talking about it with you guys, and it will culminate on March 31 with my first 10k! Eek!

dollypie
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Ladies can I join? I just finished the couch to 5k program and have come to love running. It gives you such a natural high. I go to bed at night thinking about running in the mornings.

Nikaia
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone...I'm not quite a runner yet, more an aspiring runner. I just did workout 1 of C25K yesterday morning. And while I really enjoyed it, my thighs are SO SORE today! Is this common for starting running? I was going at a relatively gentle pace, considering that I've never run before (for exercise, you know what I mean). And I made sure to stretch afterwards. I really hope this goes away...

hikerchick
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Nikaia, Congrats on starting C25K the beginning can be tough but stick with it. It gets easier.

Dolliepie, Nice to see you over here. You've been doing this longer than me and they have welcomed me with open arms.

OK guys....drumroll please.

5K!!!!!
:encore:

The wheee downhill advice was superb. It made everything so fun.

I am sooooooo slow. But I could care less this is the nice thing about going out alone.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this. I am kind of fatigued between runs though. I think that will lessen as my body gets used to the routine.

Happy day everyone!

Ilene
03-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Yay March .... Spring is just around the corner :carrot:

YP1
03-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I ran in a short sleeve top today for the first time this year :) (I bought it yesterday to celebrate the onset of spring!)

I had a really good run, I managed my 20 miler (well, it's a tiny bit short but close enough for me) in just over 3 hours, and I actually ran all the way which is the first time I've ever managed that for anything over about 15 miles. I also ran it a lot faster than I was expecting, so things are looking good for my marathon.

LisaMarie71
03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Fantastic, Helen! And yay for spring! I ran in short sleeves yesterday but it was windy this morning so I wore long sleeves. On our group run, we ran 5.4 miles! I can't even believe I made it. I did take walk breaks on hills (and they were some crazy ones) but I ran most of it. I tried to take it easy, partly because my butt and legs are so sore from bodysculpting class last night!

YP1
03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
That's so close to 10k, you're nearly there now! You've done really well with your group, are you glad you joined up with them?

WindyCityChick
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
You people and your talk of short sleeves are killing me! It's 27 degrees in Chicago today, 19 with wind chill. I was excited this week when it hit 40 and I was able to go for a run in only two layers of clothes!

Just kidding - glad everyone is enjoying their running experiences. To the new C25K folks - that's how I started running, and it's a great program that really does work, so I'm glad to see you posting here about it. I'm sitting here all changed and ready to head out there myself, but keep reading and posting here. Must put computer down!

LisaMarie71
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Helen, I really am glad I joined the group. It's a temporary training team thing that the local YMCA does every year to prepare people for this big 10k in Richmond, VA (I live near there). It's a huge 10k -- I believe around 20,000 people do it every year. The training team meets every Saturday, but some of us have been running together during the week as well, so I'm hoping we'll keep that up even after the race. I certainly wouldn't want to do ALL my runs with a group, but it's nice. I'd feel better about my progress if I didn't have all those walk breaks, but I only do them on hills, so I think I'll do pretty well in the race. Luckily, the whole 10k course is flat!!

Rachel, just last Saturday it was 19 degrees here when I ran...and this morning it was 45. Right now it's 65 and tomorrow the high is back down to 45. Some consistency would be nice!!

WindyCityChick
03-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, I'm back here to report that I did put the computer down for long enough to go out and run 8 miles, a new record distance for me. The first four were really tough, running into the wind and snow - did I mention I'm ready for spring - but having the wind at my back for the return certainly helped.

Shrinking Daisy
03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello! First off I just want to say you guys inspire me. :) You're awesome!

I hope to be joining you in a few weeks when I start the couch to 5K plan, but first I need to get some good shoes. This part isn't proving to be as easy considering I have wide feet and need toe room. I also underpronate so I need lots of cushion too. Do you girls have any suggestions?

I went for my first run tonight and managed to run for 8 minutes with a 1 minute walk break after 5 minutes of running, not too bad for my first time. :) I realized tonight that I need new shoes, my old ones are just too old to cut it.... they have almost no cushion left!

AnneWonders
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome to all the new posters to the thread!

I got out for 2 miles tonight. I did OK, made it all the way around, with about the speed and HR I've come to expect since my DD was born. But it felt exceptionally hard. Not anywhere near the train wreck that was my last run, but still very hard. Of course I'm still coughing up gobs of goo when I run, and it was much too soon after dinner so I'm going to cut myself a little slack. There was also a very nice full moon rising!

Anyway, here's hoping this is a turned corner, and I'll get in some miles in the next couple months while I still can. I might even go for a couple 5-10Ks.

Anne

YP1
03-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I take back my advice about hills - it is perfectly acceptable to walk them in cross country, particularly if you can't get any grip. Or that's my excuse for today ;) Actually, I'm pretty pleased with myself, I did a 5 mile cross country race for my club the day after my 20 miler and although I didn't run it all (I couldn't), I was still the third woman from my club to finish, and my legs felt surprisingly good considering how far they ran yesterday.

I think I've earned my rest on the sofa this afternoon though.

hikerchick
03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Did another 3 miles today. Couldn't find my watch but I know I am slow. Went out in a rotten mood came back feeling better. Running is really good for me.

I am so glad that I started running in the winter. I hope I can keep this up when its hot I am a weenie when it comes to heat. I may have to move. My winters are mild so I go out in a fleece and come back in a t-shirt and my first reaction in the house is "who turned up the heat" My husband just started running too. We alternate days.

Now that I've managed 5K I need a new goal. Any ideas? Should I go for distance or time?

Happy March!

WindyCityChick
03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi hikerchick, I know what you mean - I just started running last October and I wonder how I'm going to fare in the heat this summer too. I have no problem running in the cold (to a point), but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel in August.

As to whether to focus on distance or time, all the advice I've read for beginning runners is to not worry so much on speed, just get used to running consistent distances each week. I usually run 4 times a week, with one of those runs being a longer run, since I'm trying to build up my endurance to the point where I'll be able to run a half marathon. I'm up to 8 miles on my long run, and the shorter runs are usually between 4 and 6 miles, depending on how I feel, how much time I have, etc.

ennay
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
woohoo 4 miles today. Still a long way to go to get back to the long runs I was at a month ago.

I am running a new running technique. It turns out I was collapsing the pelvis and letting the thighs turn in and pronating a lot more than I used to. I've been running 3 times with concentrating on retraining my step and I think it is getting somewhere but it is exhausting.

I...hate....heat. I already run in the early mornings so I can be home before dh leaves for work but in the summer I find it cruicial. The only thing is I do the Hood-to coast relay so I have to get used to some heat. I try to do at least one miserable late afternoon run a week when it is warm out to acclimate.

That being said, it was so nice to run in sunshine today...first time in AGES

hiker, just focus on distance for awhile, speed will come. Whatever you do dont increase both at the same time. After awhile if you want to, you can add 1 speed session a week, but the bulk of your running should be done at a comfortable pace. There are some experts who believe that for the first year ALL of your running should be done slowwwwww. But that would be boring!

AnneWonders
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
ennay, how did you figure all this out about your stride?

Two miles again for me today. Couldn't decide between 2 and 3, so I ran 2, and came back and got my dogs and walked them one--they are now quite elderly and can't run more than a block. 30 seconds faster than last time, although still quite slow, much less hacking up of nasty goo, and I got treated to a beautiful sunrise! A decent run.

Anne

ennay
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
physical therapy--once they pointed out that I was rotating in while stretching, I started playing around with it and its like my body kind of remembers the old stride but my muscles are weak. They have been doing alot of work to get my hip muscles stronger to help.

Only problem now is I have been trying to wear my new orthotics for a few hours a day to break them in and they HURT. That doesnt seem right

so sad, it was beautiful this morning (4.15 miles)...gorgeous sunrise and what..next week we go back to dark :p

YP1
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I did 7 (very) hilly miles with running club tonight. I was surprised at my speed considering I've now done 32 miles in 3 days, I was under 9 minute miles on a tough route. I'm taking a rest day from running tomorrow though.

I've also found races for the next two weekends that I fancy. One is a hilly 14 miler and the other is a hilly 20 miler, both in beautiful parts of the country. I'm going to use them as measured training runs rather than races, hopefully the scenery will distract me from the hills! And the day after the 20 miler I'm going to go white water rafting before I come home from Wales (where the race is) :)

And going back a couple of days - a short article about how to run downhill (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2719)

LisaMarie71
03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I'll have to come back and check that link a bit later when I have more time. I do feel a bit weird running downhill! White water rafting sounds fun, Helen, and you're so brave to sign up for those hilly races!

Today I ran 4 miles on a route with some hills. I didn't take any walk breaks, and I kept a good pace (for me) the whole time. I'm pretty happy with my run today! It was very windy, though! I was a bit worried before the run because my right ankle was swollen. I broke it a few years ago and it used to swell up quite a bit (it always looks a bit bigger than the other one, and it has metal in there holding it all together!), but I hadn't seen it swell this much in a while. Still not sure what was going on, and it hurts a bit after the run. I'll probably take it easy tomorrow or do the elliptical instead.

WindyCityChick
03-06-2007, 12:51 AM
3.75 miles for me tonight. It was one of those awful runs when you feel like you're running through molasses. Oh well, those happen from time to time. At least I went out.

YP1
03-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Lisa - take it easy on your ankle, but it should be fine. It sounds exactly like mine (full of metal, a bit bigger than it should be), mine swelled up once, the very first time I ran 5k straight, and I was hobbling round for a week or 10 days, since then it's been fine and takes anything I chuck at it.

rai
03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Ladies,

I usually post in the runners thread in the 20-something forum, but I see there's also a running thread here. :)

So here's some background on me: Last year I finished the Chicago Marathon. My husband and I did it together and we finished in 5 hours and 56 minutes. We didn't train for it as well as we should have, but it was one of our goals of things to do before 35, so we figured that we might as well do it. Anyways, I was so proud of myself and my body for what it could do. (We also did the Nike 5K run and Chicago Half Marathon (finished that in 2 hours 21 minutes).
After the marathon we stopped running, but we signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago (an 8K race on March 25) so I have to do 5 miles. So I started up running again 4 weeks ago. For a while, I had a mental block over running anything greater than 3 miles, but last week I ran 5 miles and it felt great! So I guess, the running bug is back in me.

I ran (or should I say jog since I am so slow) 5 miles today. I did it in 61 minutes, about 2 minutes slower than last week, but hey some days it is like that. My husband was trying to pressure me to run faster , but I saidNO WAY! I know my pace, and I'm not trying to kill myself. He wanted to run a 10min/mile pace...Ugggh, no...that is not happening....at least not yet. Am I wrong? To me it seems impossible to go from a 12 min to a 10 min pace right now. I can do an 11:45 min pace if I am running 3 miles, and he's asking me to run 5 miles at a faster pace than that! After I finished running (he finished about 15 minutes earlier than I did), he said that he thinks that I can run at an 11 minute pace. Why can't he just understand that I am slow. Man, I'm just happy to be able to run 5 miles, and now he's harrassing me about speed. He said that he believes in me and nows that I can do it, he just thinks I need to push harder.Sure, I want to get faster, but I can't do it overnight. I feel if I go faster than I won't be able to do 5 miles, but I know I can do 5 miles at the pace I ran today and it was comfortable. Thursday I'm going to do some speed work on the treadmill (run two minutes at 5.5mph, then 2 minutes at 6.0 mph, and continue the cycle for 30 minutes).

ennay
03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
you should not push pace too hard during training, especially with a limited consistent running base. MAX one time per week you can incorporate structured speedwork after a good warm-up.

The pace you train at should be considerably slower than your race pace. Since you are just restarting "comfortable" is exactly the pace you want at least 80% of the time.

You should not increase pace and distance at the same time this early in a training program

Ilene
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi Rai :wave: and :wel3fc: and to Cool Runners .... I agree with ennay don't push your pace, you'll just injure yourself...

I've been running consistently for 3 years now and am still at a 12 min pace, but I'm 50, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol: ...

Today maybe a treadmill run it's -32C here... outside ain't gonna happen :nono:

rai
03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. See you have an excuse. I'm 26 and I'm running at 12mile/minute! There's actually alot of people where I run who are older than me (50's-60's I guess) amd they pass me on the track. My goal is too eventually run faster than each one of them. :) My landlord is 56 and he qualified for the Boston Marathon. I know I should just be happy that I am out there running. I don't know why I'm so slow...I used to run track in highschool and I was pretty darn fast (not that I can remember any of my times, but I do have a trophy!)...I used to blame my slowness it on my weight, but I've seen people bigger than me run faster than me, so I guess I just have to accept the fact that I am a turtle. :)

Illene, did you always run at 12min/mile pace? if not, what did you start at and how long did it take you to get to 12min/mile?

I was reading some posts on runner's world and while they say build up base mileage, alot of people seem to suggest adding a tempo or interval training in there to increase speed.

I'm don't know if I would consider myself "in training". I'm just running. I don't know, it's funny because now that I know I can run 5 miles I don't really feel as if I am training for it.

This is my weekly plan:
Monday: Strength training (if I am working upper body, then I will also cross train on the elliptical or 4 run 30 minutes)
Tuesday: Run 5 miles
Wednesday: Strength training
Thursday: Interval training (3 miles)
Friday: Strength training
Saturday: run 5 miles
Sunday: Rest

Does this seem good. I'm trying to take the advice of not increasing distance and pace at the same time. So does this look fine? I was also thinking about increasing my mileage by 0.5 miles (or maybe 5 minutes) each Saturday.

Oh, I'm doing BFL strength training, but not the cardio.

YP1
03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I run at 9 minute mile pace or faster and there are plenty of older people who run faster than me too! I think one over 60 broke the 10 mile world record (for her age) in a local race the other weekend - 60something minutes. That would be vomiting pace for me!

Some people are naturally faster than others. However fast you are you can get a bit faster with training, but some people will always have the advantage there, sadly.

Increasing by 0.5 miles on a Saturday should be fine to build your distances up.

LisaMarie71
03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm a bit worried I'll always be a turtle too, but I've made lots of progress with my speed, I think. I've been working more on increasing my distance because of preparing for the 10k, but my speed sort of naturally increased along with it as I'm getting more fit and dropping weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a "back of the pack" girl and probably always will be!! I won't be running alongside my 6 or 7 minute/mile husband anytime soon.

Today I wasn't going to run because I woke up quite ill and ended up coming home early, but I felt much better this afternoon...so....I ran 5 miles! Woohoo! That was the first time I've gone that far without stopping or walking at all, so it's a bit of a milestone. My legs were definitely wobbly jelly at the end, but I took it quite easy and ran at an even slower pace than normal (about 12:45 minute miles). I'm just trying really hard to work up to running a whole 10k, no matter how slowly. Running nonstop for a little over an hour -- I never would've imagined I could do that while still weighing 200 pounds!

elisa822
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi!!

I just wanted to say to all you cool runners that you guys rock! Really though, I come here all the time for inspiration and it's so exciting for me to read about your progress.

For me, I can finally run 5k which was my first (and possibly only) challenge. Unless I get to running outside and really like it, then I don't see myself really increasing the distance too much. I get pretty bored on the treadmill so I'm working on my time/speed for now, since I reached the 5k. Right now I'm doing the 5k in about 35 minutes so I'm happy with that.

As I've mentioned before, I'm still scared to hit the pavement but the temperatures have been so cold, it hasn't been an issue. Since I anticipate the weather getting warmer, I have a few "outside" questions.

First, for temperatures around 5 degrees C, what type of clothing should I wear? I have gym clothes and I'm not sure how much money I want to spend on clothing for this type of weather, but if I need to buy one or two things to give it a try, I'm up for it.

Second, for those who listen to Ipods while running, where do you put your Ipod? Arm band? Clipped to your pants/shorts? Waist belt? Since I've only been on the treadmill, I've gotten by with it just sort of sitting there, but I definitely need something and I've heard mixed opinions on the Ipod armband.

Thanks again everyone!

:D

LisaMarie71
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Running outside is sooooo much better than running on a treadmill, in my opinion. You'll probably love it. As far as cold temperatures go, I'm not sure what the best clothing is. The coldest temp I've run in is 17 degrees Farenheit, and I just dressed in layers. I warm up so much when I run (I do weigh 200 pounds, after all), so being cold at that temperature wasn't much of a problem. They say to dress as if it's 10 to 20 degrees warmer, but I'm not sure about that. I don't really know what 5 degrees C is like, because I'm a hopeless American who can't do metric conversions! :lol:

Anyway, as for the iPod. I use the armband, and I've had no trouble with it. In fact, I love it. I run the earbud thingies up through my sleeve and out the neck of my shirt. Works quite well.

elisa822
03-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Lisa. Since it's getting to spring, I expect the temperatures to increase in the near future. I just picked 5 degrees C but I figured that anything around that and above would be okay. 5 degrees is about 41 F. I know people run in all temperatures but I'm new and afraid and I really hate and am very sensitive to the cold.

Did you buy the Ipod arm band or some other brand? I was afraid it wouldn't be comfortable but maybe I'll give it a try and see. I don't imagine that it's too expensive.

AnneWonders
03-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Elisa, my two cents on the Ipod. Make sure if you are running with an Ipod you are running somewhere safe. It will distract you from cars, wild animals, and exhibitionists, all of which I've had close encounters with in the four years I've been running. Hearing something out of the ordinary can be your first line of defense. It can make the time pass, but safety is paramount for me.

Anne

Sheila53
03-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I like to wear a moisture-wicking T-shirt under a long-sleeved shirt when I run in cold weather. I sweat buckets even in cold weather. Also, I wear shorts with pockets because my nose always runs and I need a place for a handkerchief plus another pocket for a cloth to wipe down the sweaty face. My Ipod sits in one of those armbands, too. Good suggestion about running somewhere safe, Anne, when you use an Ipod.

Ilene
03-07-2007, 12:12 AM
This jacket (http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=754) from the Running Room has to be the best investment I've made when it comes to running .... I can run in -10c to -20c (with little or no windchill of course) Underneath I layer a long sleeved moisture-wicking t-shirt and very light moisture-wicking jacket that DH gave me for Christmas... as it gets warmer I wear a short sleeve moisture-wicking t-shirt... It is true that you should dress like it's 10 - 20c warmer... at +5 or +10C , to me it feels almost downright balmy warm... I live in Cornwall Ontario which is very near to Toronto temps....and yes it has been waaayyyy tooo cold to run these days ....

YP1
03-07-2007, 04:42 AM
I tend to wear a technical t-shirt under a lightweight fluorescent jacket when I'm running outside, although it's been a bit warm for that here recently so I'm considering ditching the jacket tonight. I have an ipod shuffle so I wear it on the lanyard round my neck (the old style ones, not the clip on new ones), but I only wear it for long runs where I need the distraction, on my shorter runs and particularly if I'm running in the dark I prefer to hear what's going on around me.

elisa822
03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the great information and tips.

Ilene - thanks for the running room jacket link. It's nice to get a link to a Canadian store for a change! ;)

And I agree about the Ipod blocking out the noise being dangerous. I know to start, I'll only run in the daytime and preferably without cars. I'm not far from the beach where there's a great boardwalk for running. Well, at least it's always full of runners but I don't know whether the boardwalk is actually good for the knees/feet etc. Since I'm still only talking about approximately 5k, I'm not too worried about that.

And I realized that I have to be careful with whatever armband (or whatever) I buy because I also have the Nike+ kit for my Ipod, which just means that there's a small attachment at the bottom that needs room to stick out. I'll check out the Apple store to start since it's their product.

Can't wait to get outside!

hikerchick
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes I am too nervous about mountain lions to get an ipod. Occasionally you will see me "looking big and ferocious" when I hear a suspicious sound.

I have developed and internal ipod where I play the albums in my head. The only one that seems to last long enough is the soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar. OK I am weird I confess.

Jesus Christ Jesus Christ who are you what have you sacrficed. I have the whole thing in my head.

WaterRat
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi! :wave:

Can I join you again? I tried last spring to do C25K but life and minor injuries got in the way. I'm on my way again, taking it slower this time, and am in the middle of week 2. I used to run a lot from 2000-2002, and then developed a severe case of PF which took months to clear up. Since then I've not been able to get my mind (or body :lol: ) into running again. I think this time I can though. I've signed up to walk a half-marathon in late June (15 weeks from now) but I'd like to run a good part of it, hence the restart of C25K. I'm doing the race with Team in Training for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, so there is some group training provided as well.

Right now I'm doing all my running on a treadmill, as it's way to cold (0 F today) and snowy/icy to run outside. It'll be another month before the sidewalks/bike paths are clear of ice. I much prefer running outdoors though. The boredom factor is high on the treadmill, even with an iPod. :)

ennay
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
welcome water rat!

Ran 4 this morning despite still feeling like death. I felt deader than death when I was done and my lymphnodes went crazy, but 3 ibuprofen and 2 cups of coffee later I feel back to just sick, so I guess it didnt hurt anything.

YP1
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Just over 7 fast miles with running club today. It's definitely warming up, I think I might be buying some new running kit soon ;)

Welcome water rat, and good to see you running again ennay.

WindyCityChick
03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Got up early today and ran 5.2 miles in the snow - the snowplow hit the jogging path about half way through so it got a little easier on the way back, thank goodness! Have I mentioned I'm ready for spring now?

Good thing I ran today, it makes up (a little) for a bit of overindulgence at dinner tonight. Went to an Italian restaurant for dinner in celebration of a friend's birthday, and shared an order of artichoke ravioli. Wow, was it good, but I don't even want to think about what was in the sauce. At least I only had a half order.

hikerchick
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Good morning cool runners.

I ran just a hair under 4 miles today. Such a gorgeous day here. 45 degrees and sunny. Really perfect weather.

I am getting excited about going further. I hope to be able to run 10k by summer. I'd like to start inching my daily runs up to 5 miles. Not ready yet but maybe I can run 4 miles a day and a bit longer on the weekend. Go go go.

Welcome water rat.

YP thanks for the link to the downhill article. Unfortunately it was a subscriber only thing so I couldn't read the actual article but the web site did have all sorts of free articles that were fun to read.

Oh and I hope you feel better soon ennay!

Ilene
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
:welcome: back WaterRatPat :wave:

Had a great 7k run this morning in the -26c windchill, I dressed accordingly and wasn't cold at all :carrot:

YP1
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I thought I'd checked that it was a free one. Sorry!

LisaMarie71
03-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I really struggled tonight. I was supposed to do my speed intervals on the treadmill...well, I DID do them, but it was truly horrible. I struggled to do 2 miles, though I wanted to do 3, and now my ankle is really hurting. I'm beginning to worry about my ankle. Taking tomorrow off, and I'm hoping I'll be ok on the 5-mile group run Saturday. It would be truly awful to do all this training and preparing and then not be able to do the race because of an injured ankle!

WindyCityChick
03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
I ran 6.2 miles tonight, and it was almost warm outside! Supposed to get up to 50 degrees this weekend in Chicago, I might drop from heat exhaustion.

WaterRat
03-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Glad to hear it's warm somewhere! :) It got all the way to 12F here today. I did my second session of C25K, week 2 tonight and managed to run all 6 of the 90 second segments - :tread: of course, not outdoors. Brrrrr.

YP1
03-09-2007, 04:46 AM
I was inside on the treadmill today, but it's definitely warming up. I did a 30 minute fast run (8 minute miles). Tomorrow I've got a 14.3 mile race (odd distance!), but I'm going to take it fairly easy and not race it I think, I'll just use it as a longish training run.

AnneWonders
03-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I had one of those near-perfect runs today, the reason why we're all out there. It was 55F, I started about 45 min before sunrise, and had beautiful dark skys to start with a bright moon to start, a bright planet (I'll have to look up which one), lots of stars, and then the dawn started to come up and the mountains and cactus had a beautiful sillouette against the sky. I saw bats and rabbits only today, a few quail maybe. The javelinas had been through because there were many overturned trash cans, but I didn't have an encounter today. Lots of people out walking dogs. Oh and the run was a completely comfortable 3.6 mile loop with two short walk breaks just because I wanted to enjoy it. I actually added a half mile to go a little longer. I had a good 10 minute stretch when I got home to the porch and watched the sun come up. I'm eating a small banana, one piece of light whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter and a small glass of OJ as I write this, and I feel fantastic. This is why I run!!

Anyway, the near perfect run nearly came to a tragic end, as some jerk felt it would be a good idea to drive about 50mph on a sleepy rural road heavily used by pedestrians. I met him flying out of a blind dip and he clearly didn't see me, and I didn't see him until the last second. If I hadn't heard him and dove for the bushes it would have been bad, and he REALLY would have been late to work. All you IPODers out there be careful, and we should all be mindful to drive responsibly. Easy to forget.

Anne

AnneWonders
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
PS: Pat, way to go on the C25K stuff. That plan was WAY too hard for me when I started. 90s! No way I could do that.

Helen, do you have another half coming soon, or did I miss something in the last two glorious weeks that have been my life.

Anne

CharityKB
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Hello everyone! I would love to join you guys!

I started the Couch to 5K program at the beginning of August and am up to running around 3.5-4 miles. I have my first 5K on March 31 and am really excited. I am still really slow (around 12 minute mile pace), so my goal is to finish the race in less than 38 minutes.

It is finally warm here (in Indiana), so I have been able to wear short sleeves for the last week or two! Today is a beautiful day, so I can't wait for my run (even though I am a little sore).

I look forward to talking with you all!

Charity

Ilene
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
:welcome: Charity :wave:

ennay
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
4.4 today

YP1
03-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Anne, I've got a half in two weeks time. Today I have a 14.3 miler and next week is a 20 miler, then the half. Although the first two are races I'm not planning to actually race them, just using them as measured training runs.

rai
03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Got up this morning and ran 5 miles along Lakeshore Drive. The weather was nice (a little chilly at the beginning, but I warmed up within 0.5 miles into the run). The trail was a little icy and muddy in some parts though. It felt good to run outside, it was my first time doing that since October.

midwife
03-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Well!!! I found my running shoes. I have been in a bit of a funk the last 8 weeks....running would have helped, but alas!!
So, the last time I ran was the end of December. I shall do two easy miles today if I am lucky!

FaeReverie
03-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I just started running.. actually, today was my very first day starting C25k. And I was very, very nervous that I would not like it (I tried running when I started losing wieght, but I was pushing myself too hard too fast and it made me sick and I hated it). Suprisingly I loved it (well suprising to me anyway), although I can see how when it gets even warmer running in pants will be a pain... darn my absolute refusal to wear shorts. =x. And the weather was beautiful too... it looks and feels more like summer than the earliest hints of springtime. I think nature aligned in order to make my first running experience as enjoyable as possible :).

Anyway, I'm oddly excited about the fact that I ran and enjoyed it for the first time in my life, and I just had to share :).

LisaMarie71
03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Anne, that run sounds lovely!

Welcome, Charity!

I did the group training run this morning, and we did 5.5 miles. I felt good for most of it -- I walked most of the hills, but not all of them. Felt really good at the end.

Do you guys have any books on running? I bought one yesterday -- it's the Runner's World Complete Book of Running. It seems to have a lot of good, basic information, along with some training advice and inspiration from various coaches and runners. A few years back I bought two books written by John "The Penguin" Bingham, who writes a column for Runner's World. I remember reading them (they're very much targeted toward beginners) and thinking...there's no way I'll ever do this. And now, years later....I am! :)

LisaMarie71
03-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Fae, I just saw your post after I'd already written mine... so I had to come back and say this:

:welcome3:

ennay
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
6.3 this morning felt really really good

YP1
03-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Midwife, welcome back, and Fae, welcome!

I did my 14.3 mile race today. It wasn't actually as hilly as I expected it to be. There was a nasty hill in the first mile and 2 near the end, other than that it was just undulating rather than killer hills, and I ran the whole thing which I was pleased with, I've only done flat long races before now, and I try to avoid hills on most of my long training runs too. I finished in 2:03:19 which is about 30 seconds per mile slower than half marathon pace, but I'm pretty pleased with that as it was much hiller and I wasn't meant to be racing it anyway. And I managed to beat the guy from running club I often end up tussling with in races. His girlfriend is faster than he is, so he tends to go off fast and struggle towards the end in the longer races. They passed me after about a mile, and I only caught sight of him again in the last mile or so, but managed to catch him and overtake him about 200m from the finish. OK, so he's a V50, but he's still not a bad runner and it's nice to beat him!

I've got a bit more confidence for next week too. That's a 20 mile race, and again it's going to be hilly. Hopefully the scenery will be as nice today, it was well worth a trip out to run round the area where the race was, although the weather was pretty grotty up there.

hikerchick
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome new runners.

Rai, I get cold just thinking about running along Lake Shore Drive. I went to college around those parts and I remember during the winter going on an expedition to the end of the lake. It felt like going to the north pole. I would look at it. Think, "Oh boy pretty lake" and then go back inside and wait for spring which happens sometime mid june. Soon after I moved to California. Memories.

OK today I had a major NSV, a running one. I am a total beginner and have just in the past 2 weeks or so been able to run more than a mile at a time.

I dragged myself out of bed today. I was totally fatigued I just didn't want to. But of course I did because I have to. But I was feeling all grumbly and low energy.

I tried to find something different to do. I tried farlek for about 15 seconds but forget it. Fatigue day was not a good time to do speedwork. Grudgingly I decided to push on at a slow pace.

When suddenly....

I saw another runner. Mind you I live outside of a town with 50 people in it so this is not your every day occurance. There are a few people on my road but none of them run. Anyhow at this point I felt bad going home so I kept on.

I was just about done with my run when I passed my new running friend. I had just gone up the big hill when she said "good for you running all the way up that hill...I couldn't do it"

Nobody has ever congratulated me on any fitness type activity every in my entire life. OK, so it was just a little comment but you do not know how happy it made me.

I can run up that hill...Oh boy, how cool. Yay me.

Once again I am so glad I got myself up to do my run. This stuff is really addictive.

midwife
03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Good for you, hikerchick! Some hills are such a pain!

Thanks for the welcome back, Helen!

I ran two miles. I am back! : )

Ilene
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
:cp: HIckerchick

:welcome: back midwife!

Ilene
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
no run for me today tomorrow YES a run at least 8-10k!!

Ilene
03-11-2007, 01:31 PM
10k run this morning... I am such a slow poke it took me 1:18... Oh well I don't really care :lol:

LisaMarie71
03-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I had a couple of running victories today. I ran 3.5 miles in a much faster time than I normally would (39:07). I checked the time after about 3.1 miles to see how long it would take me to do a 5k race. I'd been going for about 35 minutes then, so I realized something crazy... Back in October, I watched my husband win a tiny local 5k, and a woman I barely know won in her age group (which is also mine). She ran it in 38 minutes or so, which she said was a personal record for her. Obviously there were much faster female runners in the race, but they were in a lower age group. I knew enough about running to know she wasn't going superfast, but I was enormously impressed by anyone who could run three miles at ALL at that point. I had just started running and was doing 5-minute intervals of very slow jogging at the most. Well, today I would have beat her and taken home that little trophy for myself!

The other victory is that when I logged in my run for today I noticed that I ran a total of 20 miles this past week. My first 20-mile week -- woohoo!!

hikerchick
03-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Lisa Marie, that is awesome. You should go sign up for that race now.

Ilene, slow and steady wins the race. Or at least that is what I would like to think. I can't wait until I can do 10k, I'd like to work up to it before summer because I know in the heat of the summer a half hour of running will probably be my max most days. Unless I go and run right in the middle of the river LOL.

WindyCityChick
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, I was hoping to run 8.5 miles today, but didn't have a big enough time block to get there, so had to settle for 6.5. But, it was warm and beautiful, so I loved every second of it!

Ilene
03-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Hicker -- I don't do well in the heat either...

WaterRat
03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi there. Since in reality I'm training to walk a half marathon at the end of June, I elected to do a hour walking on the :tread: yesterday instead of a C25K session. Can I just say how boring that was? :faint: I cannot wait until it's warm enough and less icy to do my running/walking outdoors! I am however, enough sore today to know that I went for a longish walk! Tomorrow will be running again.

LisaMarie - you will run 5K faster in a race, just by the fact that you are in a race. However, 38 minutes is great!

Helen - I'm constantly amazed at all the running you do....

LisaMarie71
03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
LisaMarie - you will run 5K faster in a race, just by the fact that you are in a race. However, 38 minutes is great!

No no, it was 35 -- and I wasn't even trying to go faster than normal. That's why I consider it a running victory! (The other lady ran 38 in October -- that's why I said I would've beat her). :cb:

hikerchick
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi all, not the best run today. But I got out for 2.5 miles. Next time will be better.

YP1
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Well done everyone on races, fast times, mileage and just getting out there :)

I did a good 7 miles with running club tonight. I managed to take about 4 minutes off the last time I did that route a month ago, I'm not sure how I managed that! I also got some good news - my club were the third placed ladies team overall at my race on Saturday. I don't know if they count the top three or the top four for each club, but I was the third lady to finish from my club so I definitely helped out with that. We don't get a prize, but it's as close as i'll come to winning anything for a while so I'll still celebrate it!

futurepixie
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

I did it! I tried Week 4 workout for C25K and I DID IT!! I didn't come close yesterday- it was so discouraging. But today- I did it! It was hard, and there were times were it really hurt, but I finished. Even ran an extra two minutes just because I felt like it. Two more workouts like that and I will have week 4 licked!

Man, it feels good to be back in the game. My knees are definetly feeling it, so just a short walk tomorrow and some pilates will be my reward. I say it everytime, but I can't believe I can run (even though it is very, very slowly) for five minutes at a time!

LisaMarie71
03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Helen, that's great that your running club did so well -- wonderful!!

pixie, congratulations on making it through week four of C25K -- you're on your way now!!

Well, I kind of overdid it tonight. I intended to run this route that included a few hills and totaled 5.2 miles, but I ended up running about 6.5 miles!! With hills! What was I thinking? I don't think I'll be able to walk to my car tomorrow morning! :lol: I can laugh about it now, but I really did overdo it, and that was stupid. I got carried away and thought I could go forever (albeit slowly). I did the 6.5 in an hour and 25 minutes. I'm in no way ready to run nonstop for that long, but I did. The good news is that I know I'm capable of running that whole 10k at the end of the month (as long as I didn't injure myself with this madness)!

Unfortunately, my sister-in-law wants to run 2 miles with me tomorrow night. I may have to pass on that! I'm tempted to do it since it's just 2 and I know we'll go slowly, but I know I'm doing too much.

WaterRat
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Lisa, Yay! and I'm sorry about the other post. Guess I read a little too fast and thought the 38 minutes was you. 35 was great, and wow on the 6.5 miles.

I'm supposed to be doing the last session of C25K week 2 tonight, but there's a better than 50% chance that I'll be needed at work. :( If so, there's always tomorrow.

poppins3
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Hello all,

At age 25, I'm starting to become really interested in running and have started C25K. I am on Week 4, Workout 3 and have not had any trouble so far, but I'm afraid my childhood asthma will come into play at some point.

Getting a little worried about the 20 min. run in my near future, but I'm so excited about this program!

Ilene
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
:welcome: poppins :wave:

LisaMarie -- Let us know how your run went with your SIL...

Pat -- I agree, when life gets in the way and it inevitably will, there's always tomorrow...

Tonight it's a run with the gals usually 7k or so... I hope it doesn't rain :crossed:

CharityKB
03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello everyone!

You are all such an inspiration to me!!! I did a 3.1 mile run on Monday (with an additional .65 walking). I am a litttle sore today, I think I started out too fast.

I have a 5K coming up on March 31 and just drove the course - it is soooo hilly!!! I run on a pretty flat trail, so I am really nervous! Any tips for me? I am a little scared now! I had set a goal of under 38 minutes (I am really slow), but now I am worried! Although, I did do my 3.1 mile run yesterday in 35:44, my best time ever! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

elisa822
03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to share my exciting news. For the first time I tried my 5k run outside and survived! I was warned that it could be a hard transition from the treadmill and that I wouldn't be able to cover the same distance (still being new to the whole running thing), but I did it!!

I was a bit slow but I did it. The weather was nice but a bit chilly and all I had was a t-shirt and shorts and probably could have used some pants but it wasn't too bad. (I don't have any cooler running clothes yet! ;) )

It was fun so I hope I keep it up. Thanks to everyone for continuing to inspire me!!

LisaMarie71
03-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Fantastic, Elisa!! :)

Charity, I hate hills and I'm slow as molasses, so I probably can't help you! :lol: I'm sure some of the great runners here will have tips, though.

Today I did a very easy 2 mile run/walk -- recovering from yesterday's long run! Tomorrow I won't run -- it's crosstraining day, so I'll do the elliptical and take a bodysculpting class.

WaterRat
03-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Hi all. Today worked out perfectly. I was coming back from a meeting about an hour away and it was 4:35 pm - no sense going back to work for 1/2 hour, so I went on to the gym. And it was one of those great days when everything goes well. :) Did my final session of week 2, C25K, and ran all the running segments if not easily than without feeling like I couldn't go a second longer. And my heart rate is returning to a more reasonable rate much faster now too than from when I started. All in all a good session.

Charity, I hate hills myself. The only advice I have is not to lean into them, but continue to run standing straight. It does help.

Elisa, congrats on running outside. It's really much nicer I think. And you involve more muscles since you're working to keep yourself upright and balanced much more so than on the treadmill. I can't wait until the snow and ice are gone.....

YP1
03-14-2007, 05:46 AM
I used to hate hills, but I joined a running club that's basically at the bottom of a couple of big hills and whichever way we run you have to start off by going up one of them. It's one of those things that will get easier as you practice them. I still dread them, but they're nowhere near as bad as they used to be, and it's quite fun at races when you can carry on running up a hill while people who haven't trained on them slow down or walk. And because it's harder work you'll burn more calories running uphill than on the flat over the same distance :)

futurepixie
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay, I am a officially an addict! My purse was stolen last night, and my first thought after tending to the hours of waiting on the phone to cancel bank cards and such was, "Oh god! my earbuds! I have to go out and get more NOW, because it is running day!" and also I notice now that when something bad happens I feel my legs tense up, like it is becoming a reflex to want to run off whatever is plaguing me. Before the only running I did was to the kitchen so that I could stuff my face! I imagine that today's run should be a piece of cake- no shortage of anger to run off!

CharityKB
03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh no Pixie, your purse was stolen?!? That is horrible. I hope you get it all straightened out. Worrying about your earbuds, yeah, you are totally addicted!

Thanks for the advice on hills. Since I only have a couple of weeks before the race, I am not sure I can train much for them now. I guess the good news is that this will be my first 5K and I have 2 more already lined up for the summer. The others are pretty flat, so I will easily be able to improve my time :) I think that a lot of the hills are in the beginning, so maybe I will be able to tackle them without too much problems since I won't be overly tired already. I will just need to make sure not to drain myself early on!

hikerchick
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

Great job all you c25kers you will be there in no time!

Elisa glad you enjoyed the great outdoors.

My last run kind of sucked but I did it. I kept thinking "darn I could only run 2.5 miles" and then all of the sudden it occurred to me. I have had a great change in perspective over the last month. Just the thought that "oh darn I only ran 2.5 miles" is something that before was totally not a part of my thinking vocabulary.

So I got out today and ran 3 miles. A good three miles. I think I will take my little one on a long stroller walk as I still have a little extra energy today.

YP1
03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I did just over 12.5 miles with running club tonight. When we got to about 4 miles I very nearly decided to go back with the group doing the shorter run, but I'm glad i stuck with the long run group now it's over. Now I'll probably have a bit of a rest for a couple of days before my 20 mile race on Saturday.

poppins3
03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I finished Week 5, Day 1 of C25K today:

0.5 mi jog (5.2)
0.25 mi walk (4.2)
0.5 mi jog
0.25 mi walk
0.5 mi jog

I am so proud of myself, but getting anxious for Days 2 and 3. Especially the 2-mile jog on Day 3 (Monday for me)! YIKES!!

ennay
03-15-2007, 05:29 PM
lets see, 4 on tuesday, 4 on wednesday

told physical therapist I did 6 (really 6.25) on saturday and he winced and said to keep it there, no more than 6 for 4 weeks.

is it bad that I lied and said ok? :o I already am planning a 7+ for saturday. I'm being good by not ramping my weekly by more than 10%

therapists...sheesh! what part of "I am running that half on mother's day come **** or high water" do they not get?

LisaMarie71
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I did a 5k run on the treadmill tonight -- ran it in 36:30, which was good for me, I guess, especially since I kind of hate the dreadmill. I was sweating like a freak. It felt pretty good, though! Resting tomorrow, and doing the big 6-mile group run Saturday. The 10k race is only 2 weeks away!

midwife
03-15-2007, 10:42 PM
2 miles. Ain't what it used to be, but it is another step back.

futurepixie
03-15-2007, 10:54 PM
poppins good for you!

I am a week behind you in C25K and I was just looking at the program before getting on here and thinking the same thing! Everytime I think that, I try to tell myself, "that is what you said about jogging three minutes at a time, and 5 minutes at a time and look what you are doing!" so we can do this!

YP1
03-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Ennay - I keep on wanting to say NOO about your half as mothers day here is on Sunday but I guess your mothers day is some other time. I'm assuming so anyway, unless you make a really good comeback ;)

I did 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I did it a bit slower than my normal treadmill sessions because I have a race tomorrow.

hikerchick
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Good Morning Runners,

I am a bit crabby right now because as I am heading out the door this morning my husband says. You can only go out for 25 minutes this morning i have to be out the door at 7:30.

I knew he had an early meeting but I thought i had til 7:45 and that extra 15 minutes really makes all the difference. It put me in a weird mood and I decided to repeatedly run up the steep part of my hill. That part was actually pretty good since my uphill running is beginning to resemble a slow jog rather than some sort of strange slow motion walking. (I always think that I am running but time starts to dilate since I am travelling so close to the speed of light).

Anyhow it was a strange day and really not all that bad. I feel a bit better upon reflection. I would have liked to get in 3 miles. I think I got in just over 2. Hard to say since I ran it all strange.

Our mothers day is in May.

This weekend I will take a long run. I think I will try to run for an hour.

A half marathon seems so incredibly long. I think that is just a great way to spend mothers day.

Great job on all the newbie runners, the returning runners and of course all of you running animals.

futurepixie
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
today was C25K W4w3! the last one- and it was really easy. beautiful weather too- big gray clouds with a wonderful cool breeze- i think that makes it easier, when I am starting to slow down, a nice cool breeze gives me the last little kick that i need to finish strong. ah, i love good running days.

i am nervous about week five though! this time next week i have to try to run twnty minutes without stopping! OMG!

LisaMarie71
03-17-2007, 12:44 PM
pixie, you can do it! No problem! :)

Today my training team had our longest group run, 6 miles. I was very comfortable through the whole run -- my breathing was never really labored (I talked through the whole run, even hills), but my hips and knees were hurting a bit. Finished in 72 minutes, so a slow, comfortable 12-minute mile throughout. I'm ready for the race! Woohoo!

ennay
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
lol Helen, our Mothers day is May 12th or 13th - I have JUST enough time to ramp up sensibly to run it but not race it. I want to race one in June

7 today at a nice pace Felt really really strong.

AnneWonders
03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Today was supposed to be 2 miles with the jogging stroller, but it ended up being about 2.5 when the 'throw the hat' repeats got added in. It was also hot (80F)and I'm seriously glycogen depleted because I'm sticking to my diet for once. Anyway, I walked about half of it. On paper it sounds like an awful run, but it was a pretty morning and it was good to get out and I enjoyed it.

Anne

rai
03-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Ran 5 miles today in 56 min and 47 sec. That's a Personal Record for me!!!! I didn't feel like I was pushing it though. However, 3 days ago it took me 58 min to finish the 5 miles. I am just so grateful that I can run. 4 weeks ago 5 miles seemed like such a hurdle and now I am running it consistently. I am trying to make 5 miles my base miles (before it was 3 miles).

Ennay, take it easy on the running. Do you think you can tell the therapist that you are planning to run the half marathon in May and that you want him/her to come up with a schedule that accomodates that?

Wanna be a loser
03-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow you ladies are doing awesome, congratulations.
I really enjoy running.
I only run 5k per day.
Rai, how did you go to 5miles. Did you just add a bit each day?
Lisa Congratulations on your 6 mile run. Way to go.

ennay
03-18-2007, 01:14 PM
rai - I am doing my own schedule. I've been doing it long enough now to do that. Therapists are just very very conservative. He would say absolutely do not do the half marathon. His idea of a good schedule was 6 miles max for 4 weeks, (actually he wanted me to stick to 4 miles for 4 weeks) then increase it 1 mile for 4 more weeks, etc. At that rate I would be up to a half marathon by 2008 maybe. My injury came more from speedwork than from distance anyway.

Anyway, yesterday I realized that the 7 didnt even feel like a long run. The rest of the day I was trying to figure out how to get a run in today (dh is gone). So that's good.

YP1
03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Ennay - I'm doing a half that weekend too. OK, I'm doing a half most weekends at the moment... I hope that you manage to build your training up and make it.

Well done Lisa and rai on your runs.

Yesterday I did a 20 mile race. It was VERY hilly - you can see the race elevation profile here (http://dna100.blogspot.com/2007/03/i-live.html), that hill between 4 and 6 miles was just as bad as it looks on the graph (the report isn't mine, but it saves me posting the race profile on my own blog - my longer report is here (http://berlinmarathon2006.blogspot.com/2007/03/take-to-hills-2-rhayader.html)). I will admit to walking some of it, as I didn't want to use all my energy up too early in the race, and I ended up overtaking most of the people who ran (shuffled?) past me on the way up later in the race. I finished in 3:03 which I was really pleased with, as it would give me roughly an hour to do the last 10k of the marathon, which would be on a considerably flatter course, to get a time around 4 hours which I'd be really pleased with.

My legs even feel good today, my arms are more sore after a spot of white water rafting on the way home! And bizarrely my 20 mile PB is less than twice my 10 mile PB - I've only done one of each, and I did the 20 miler at a faster pace than the 10 miler!

hikerchick
03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello all,

Helen that run looks hilly but my stupid american mind just can't think metric. But to tell you the truth its probably not the metric its more that I don't really have an idea of what a steep hill would look like on paper. I really only know my little road those hills. I should look it up on a topo. I bet I could find out.

Ran 5 miles today. Forget about the time...something like a 13 minute mile. But i ran the whole thing. Sometimes I wonder how fast I would run if it were flat. Sometimes I think it would be harder.

I have a groove. Go go go up the hill for a half mile. Wheee down the hill for half mile repeat.

I wonder if I will ever be adventurous to explore a different place. I kind of like the security of knowing where I am and that all the dogs are friendly or tied up. That and the other roads are pretty car filled with no shoulder. It does get a bit monotonous to go up and down 5 times though. And when I can take longer runs it will get downright silly.

Ilene
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Helen, congrats on the race, you amaze me!!

Hicker, from one slow poke to another, at least we're out there running :running: :D...

Today I did only 20 mins HIIT on the :tread: it was just too windy to run outside ... I am sick and tired of running in the wind and cold...

poppins3
03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I did Week 5, Day 2 of C25K yesterday (jog 0.75 mi, run 0.5 mi, jog 0.75 mi), and it was my best workout yet!! I didn't feel exhausted nor like I was dripping in sweat -- helped that I was using the treadmill in the in-laws' freezing cold basement.

I'm actually *excited* for my two-mile jog tomorrow!! I hope I can finish it, but I really feel like I can. :)

AnneWonders
03-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Ran 6 miles today. Was a nice run. I took a few generous walk breaks since this is the farthest I've run in a while and it was a hilly route. Much different than yesterday.

Anne

rai
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
ran 3 miles today on the treadmill. Man, the treadmill is no joke. Put me outside anyday!

YP1, congrats on your race. Man, I would have probably turned around and went home once I saw that hill. KUDOS!!!

LisaMarie71
03-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Helen - congratulations on tackling that hill!

poppins, great job on the C25K plan! You're doing fantastic!

rai, I'm with you on the treadmill thing. Ugh! I'd much rather run outside.

I wasn't going to run today, but then I had this insane idea to do 2 miles as fast as I could without dying. It turns out that my fastest comfortable pace for a 2-mile run is about 10:45 minute miles. Of course, my ankle was a little wobbly today and I had too much to drink last night, so I wouldn't say I was at top form!! Anyway, I was talking to my brother about it (he's just started running as well) and I told him I've decided I'm going to be a turtle forever because I love running comfortably but running too hard makes me a bit ill, and I don't want to associate anything terribly negative with running. He was giving me lots of great positive reinforcement, though, talking about what an amazing change I've made in my life and how he brags about me to his friends. Woohoo!! :) (And if you knew my brother, you'd know that's a big deal!) :lol:

WindyCityChick
03-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi ladies - I had a great weekend running-wise. I went to Arizona to watch a little spring training baseball, but still made time to run. Thursday morning, I ran before heading to the airport, and made it 8.5 miles, which is a new long distance for me. Then got out of bed early in Phoenix on Saturday and Sunday for a 6.25 mile run each day, which felt fantastic, because I was able to do it in shorts and a short sleeved shirt!

The old me would never have bothered to get out of bed early on vacation, especially since we did some hiking too while we were there. But the new me gets positively itchy if I don't get to run. Of course, my knees were a little cranky with me this morning, I think the combination of hiking and running was a bit much for them - I kept thinking that if they could talk, they would say "what about our vacation!" :)

WaterRat
03-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Whew, busy weekend here. Yesterday I finally got to walk/run OUTDOORS! Yay. It was sunny all day, but still zero in the morning. By about 4 pm it had warmed up to 25 (that's about 4 C for you metric gals :) ) so I dressed in fleece and went out for an hour! I'll be back in the gym for c25K week 3 tomorrow evening, but I need to start doing longer sessions 1-2 x a week to be ready for the half on June 23. We had a spaghetti dinner fund-raiser tonight - 5 of us on the team - and made $700 (before expenses) Whooo-hoo!

At least we are up to 12+ hours of daylight, even if it's still stinky cold in the mornings! Spring is on the way.....

2frustrated
03-19-2007, 07:32 AM
I ran! Just for a little while, but I got my butt out of the door and I am reassured that I can still run after a good long winter break....

Marathon entry next :D

2frustrated
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Eeek eeek eeek! :tantrum: :eek:

I entered the marathon! :tantrum: :eek: :fr: :yikes:

:hyper:

215 days to go... :D

AnneWonders
03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
2Frustrated! Woo hoo!

futurepixie
03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
yesterday was the first workout for W5. It went really well- pretty easy, and I was able to recover really quickly during the walking intervals. I am taking a day of exercise rest today and probably no running tomorrow. I have had a sore hamstring for about a week or so, and I wanna be all recovered for the big 20 minute run that is coming up.

This is funny- I have been at this less than a month, and it is harder to make myself rest than it is to make myself exercise! Yessssss!

2frustrated
03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Anne! :D I really am excited and scared and scared and excited, but mainly excited. And scared! :D

*cough*

:o I ran a whole mile today I guess I've gotta start somewhere! :lol:

poppins3
03-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I DID IT!!!

I ran two miles on Week 5, Day 3 of C25K.

I was running at 5.2 mph, so the time wasn't fantastic, but considering I'd never even run ONE mile before, I am ecstatic!!

LisaMarie71
03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
poppins, you're doing great!

And 2frustrated -- a marathon!!! Go, you!! :carrot:

poppins3
03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Lisa!!

Your motivation really, really helps. :)

futurepixie
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
OMG, way to go Poppins!

I am just one more workout away from mine! Knowing that someone is just a bit ahead of me and doing so well is great motivation.

hikerchick
03-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Poppins and future pixie and all you c25kers....Once you get that far in the program you have just about made it to being an official runner. It is quite an accomplishment. Did you ever in your wildest dreams think you could do it? I sure didn't. I thought there was a running gene and I didn't have it. Shows what I know. Keep it up youse guys you're doing great.

Oh yeah Helen great job on the hill I forgot to mention how you continually impress me.

Go Fru!. Marathon, you animal!

Glad I popped in this morning. You guys are all so inspiring. I think this week on my shorter runs I am going to try to up my time a bit. I know we just talked about hills and how to conquer them but anyone have any advice on how to do them better-faster-stronger. I am at the point that I can run all the way up but every time I try to push the tempo I get so worked. Should I do intervals?

poppins3
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
hikerchick: You are spot on about the "running gene." I've had bronchial asthma since I was young, but now it's a much more mild case and usually only presents itself when I have a cold -- basically meaning I'm prone to bronchitis and coughing fits.

Anyway, even though this asthma really shouldn't have affected my fitness level and ability to run, I've always convinced myself that I just couldn't run. But before C25K, I could do intervals (up to about 3 minutes), and I saw that the first workouts in C25K were based on intervals, so I gave it a try.

I never thought that I would be able to follow the program, much less follow it without repeating weeks. I have never felt better about what my body can accomplish!!

futurepixie: I'm glad I can be of any motivation. You'll feel so proud when you complete this week. I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!!

YP1
03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Yay for marathons, particularly Amsterdam ;) :carrot:

I ran a good 6 miles with running club tonight at 8:30 pace. It's coming to something when you feel cheated because the long option is "only" 6 miles!

LisaMarie71
03-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Can I just say how much I love this forum? I just posted something in the 100lb. Club Support Group forum about how it's tough for me to stay motivated lately EXCEPT when it comes to exercise. That's because I've fallen in love with running, and a part of that is because of the inspiration I get from my fellow runners here!! One thing I'm struggling with, though, is striking a balancing between keeping my calorie intake low enough to keep losing weight and getting enough to fuel my runs. I stay hungry a lot now because of all the running, and I don't want to lose focus with my eating because I really really want to get to my goal. Has anyone else had trouble with that? I'm guessing Helen might have some advice, as she lost lots of weight and developed a running obsession too!

I just got back from a 4-mile run that was really good. I ran a pretty flat course but it was tough -- windy, my legs were a bit sore, my nose kept running (always does -- darn allergies), my hair kept getting in my eyes, and I kept going faster than I probably should so I wore out pretty quickly. But it felt fantastic for some reason. I passed my husband on the way back, so now I'm sitting at the gym waiting for him to return! Seeing him run, with his long perfect stride, makes me want to be a better runner. He's one of those natural runners -- long and lean! It's so amazing that I'm actually out there doing it too instead of just watching and cheering him on!

I've rambled on again... :o

ennay
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Lisa - I add extra calories on long run days. My basic rule of thumb is anything over 4 miles (just because for me 4 miles is my "base") I add 100 calories/mile. That still puts me at a slight deficit from the extra mile. So if I run 6 miles on Saturday that day I add 200 calories. Most of it goes to pre and post run fuel (and for longer runs mid-run fuel)

Also, I try really hard to follow the fuel within 30 minutes rule. You recover faster and have more energy to run the next time if you eat within 30 minutes of finishing your workout and a little higher carb than you might normally do. (4 g carb/1 g protein is theoretically ideal)

You will find as you keep running, that your body will become more efficient at tapping fat sources for fuel and it will be easier to feel less hungry. When I first started running distance I felt really really weak if I ran 6 miler without a gu or gatorade mid way, now I can go much much longer with no need.

how ravenous I am after a run is also a good indicator to me of how hard I pushed my fitness level. I get HUNGRY after long runs. The fact that I didnt have exception hunger on saturday is an indication that fitness wise, 7 is in my comfort zone.

hth.

ennay
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh...4.75 this morning.

elisa822
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I will second (or third or fourth) how great an inspiration it can be coming here. I used to (years ago) frequent a different forum on the site and then disappeared for a while. When I came back, I recognized many of the same people still hanging out. I don't mean to speak badly of anyone and these are really lovely supportive people but many of them are the same weight and in the same place as a few years ago. It's perfectly fine if you want to use this place to just chat and make friends but I want to get healthy and lose the last few pounds.

Anyway, I had my first run outside last week and I've been dying to get back out there but it's been soooo cold and I just can't do it. I hate the cold and don't think I would enjoy it at all. I though just buy a nice jacket (one I think recommended by Ilene..thanks :) ) so I'm ready for when it's just a bit chilly.

Tomorrow I have to hit the treadmill I guess. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's not enough days in the week. A co-worker of mine really wants me to try a spinning class and I know it's a great cardio workout but how do I improve my running while still wanting to keep up the strength training and get in once a week step class that I can't give up?!

I guess my question of the day is (and I always seem to have one ;) ) is: do you think all forms of cardio can help improve your running, or do you think only more running can do that?

Thanks and congratulations to everyone on all their accomplishments and goals!

YP1
03-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Lisa - to be honest I eat pretty much as much as I want to fuel my running, but I make sure that it's all good stuff. It means I can run better and burn off more calories, rather than restricting what I take in and then not feeling up for the exercise. It works for me.

Elisa - it depends what you're aiming for really, increasing your general fitness may make your running easier, but there's really no substitute for running in terms of improving your technique and "running specific" fitness. I tend to do running, swimming and weights and I don't really do other cardio or classes. It's working for me at the moment.

2frustrated
03-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Just a 2 penn'orth about the cardio improving running.

I think running makes you better at running. I did 1.5 years of kickboxing before I started running and I could spend a whole hour sparring and not be too tired. Make me run and I die. :faint: I had to build up gradually even though I had a great base level of cardio fitness. I also think that learning or incorporating a proper breathing technique has helped my running more than anything.

I've just taken a 5 month break from running and BOY is it hard getting back into it. My legs feel ok, but my breathing and overall "running fitness" has decreased and I know that I've more stamina and fitness than when I did my half mara last year. I can still spar for a good 2 hours after an hour in the gym and not be too bothered, but make me run for a bit and I want to curl up in a ball! :lol: Although maybe that's just in my head at the moment! :p

tikanique
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I did a combo 2 mile run 1 mile walk this AM and of all things, my heels of my feet hurt - not the part that leads up to the ankle, but the actual bottoms of my feet. What in the world? Anyone else get sore there and what do you do? This has never happened to me before.

Tiki

hikerchick
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Tiki, I got sore on just one foot the other day. I just ignored it. Don't know if that's the best advice. I think I need better shoes. Has anyone bought running shoes online? Any advice on what to get and where to get it?

So now I want to go faster. Boy is it hard. I ran my first mile at 10 minutes today (would have been faster but I had to walk the last minute) the second took 11 minutes and I thought I was going to die... and the 3rd well, i just took it easy stopped lookign at the clock 13 minutes maybe? Still I felt like I got a better workout than I have in weeks. I tried to put little blasts of speed. I still have a ways to go but I really felt like I got a good workout today.

Helen I love hearing your stories. Cheated by only a 6 mile run. I love it.

WaterRat
03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Tiki - take care of your feet! Sounds like you need new shoes.

Work got in the way of my scheduled start of Week 3 C25K yesterday, so I WILL do it tonight. It'll be on the treadmill though because it's below zero here again!! Brrrr, and GRRR. :) I'm going to Dallas on Friday though, so a run outdoors in the warm weather is in my near future! Only going to be there for the weekend though.

elisa822
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I did my best 5k today on the treadmill (too cold outside here too!). Just over 35 minutes, which is not bad, I think. I just kept adjusting the speed up as I felt good and down as I got a bit tired. Switched to a walk twice for one minute each time. In the past I didn't want to walk at all but I found that my overall time is better if I let myself increase the speed and then pause once or twice to walk. I think it's all in my head but knowing I "can" stop and walk lets me really pick up the pace the rest of the time.

As for shoes, I've never bought online and I wouldn't recommend it unless you knew what you wanted. I went to a good store, had my gait analyzed and had great luck with the shoes they recommended. Now that I know that I like them, I might buy my next pair online but not the first time. I think good shoes can make all the difference.

YP1
03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I only buy online when I'm buying something I've worn before and liked. I wouldn't buy new shoes without trying them out first (unless they were ridiculously cheap and it didn't matter if they got relegated to being non-running trainers).

LisaMarie71
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I can't really imagine buying new running shoes online either -- I'd be too afraid they'd feel wrong. I bought some new ones the other day, but they were exactly the same as the ones I've been wearing. Haven't broken them in yet, exactly, so my run yesterday felt a bit weird. Today I wore my old ones and ran 2 easy miles. I don't plan on doing any more runs over 4 miles until my 10k a week from Saturday.

By the way, thanks for the advice about eating, ennay and Helen. I'll work all that stuff out, I suppose. I love the fact that I'm so into running now, though, because it feels like that will make it so much easier to maintain my weight loss once I finally do hit my goal. I'm 30 pounds away!

futurepixie
03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
OMG, yay!

I know that you guys are probably sick of hearing me freak out about such relatively short runs, but I did it! I did W5w2! that is running 8 minutes at a time! I think that I may just maybe be ready to run my 2 miles without stopping on Thursday! I hope so anyway!

This is exciting. I cant believe that I am halfway through a program that gets you to run a 5K. I never ever ever thought that was possible, much less my favorite part of the day!

poppins3
03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Yay, futurepixie!

I'm so happy for you!! I never thought I'd be doing it -- and LOVING it -- either!!

hikerchick
03-20-2007, 11:22 PM
OMG, yay!

I know that you guys are probably sick of hearing me freak out about such relatively short runs, but I did it! !

:high: awesome!

Thanks all for the feedback on shoes. I think the nearest running shoe store is about a 2 hour drive. I suppose I will just need to make the trip.

ennay
03-21-2007, 01:19 AM
I never ever get sick of hearing about new addicts to the running world!!!!

elisa822
03-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Speaking of relatively new addicts, as I mentioned I did my usual 5k on the treadmill yesterday but I'm itching to get outside. Yesterday the forecast looked great for the weekend, now...not really! I'm not confident enough yet to run in any weather so I'm a bit bummed. :( Oh well, one of these days, it's bound to be a bit better. Spring is here officially today...yay!! :carrot:

AnneWonders
03-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I love hearing about new runners! Feels like the club is growing. It sounds like you all are doing so well. I am impressed. It seemed to take forever for me to work up to 5K, and I've had to start over from zero a couple of times.

Anne

LisaMarie71
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I love hearing about new runners too, because I am one! I love sharing the joy of running with other people (even though it's not always exactly joyful). My husband was saying just the other day that he never imagined I would do this. I said, "What? Run more than two feet?" And he said, "No, I never imagined you would love it. It's a lifestyle, and you're into it now like I am." Yay! I hope I keep this enthusiasm. Honestly, the time I spend running is like meditation for me -- it's a stress relief thing now more than anything else.

I have this crazy notion that I should sign up for the Virginia Beach Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon, which is the first Sunday in September. I planned to try for it in 2008, but now I feel like I may be able to do it this year. My husband did it for the first time last year and plans to do it again. The last mile or two are on the boardwalk right next to the ocean, which should be nice (though maybe a bit hot with the sun reflecting off the water). Am I crazy for thinking I can train for it and run it with some walk breaks? I guess I just want to have a specific goal to train for besides the few 5Ks that I'm signing up for. Something bigger that will make me keep up a schedule of weekly long runs.

ennay
03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Lisa - you are up to 6 miles now? you could do a half by september.

5.2 miles this am

FaeReverie
03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Ok ok I've just been lurking for some reason, but seeing all these "I love new runners!" just made me feel all warm and fuzzy :).

Today is my off day, because the weather is icky out. Tomorrow I do a last day of W2, then on to W3! Woooo. Wait, I'm excited? I WANT to be able to run farther? Someone tell me who has transplanted my brain, please!

Lisa - I'm in Virginia Beach, but I know that there is no way I would be able to run a half this year. Next year maybe, but not now.... but at least I'm really good at cheering people on!

hiker - I went to a running store to get my shoes, and felt quite silly when they kept making me jog back and forth - first to see how I ran, then to try each pair of shoes they brought out for me. But it was worth it. I love my shoes! :)

pixie - yay! Glad that you're liking it so much.. I can't wait to get where you are now!

OK, that's about all the catching-up I have time for right now.. I want to try to get some cardio in before work!

LisaMarie71
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
ennay - I have run 6 miles once and 6.5 miles once. I've run 5 miles a few times. I know I can run 6 at a slow pace, so I feel like I could build up by September, especially as I'm hoping to be at or very close to goal weight by then.

fae - You never know -- you might be ready for the half in September too! I never imagined I'd be ready for a 10k this quickly, but your body can surprise you.

2frustrated
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I am going to join a casual running group tonight :fr: I'm quite freaked out, but I'm dragging DH. :)

WaterRat
03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Lisa, I've committed to a half in late June. I know that I'll have to walk most of it (in fact that's what I've signed up to do) but I plan to keep on with C25K and run as much as possible. Fae, you could certainly be ready by Sept! I know (from having done it before) that there comes a point at which your running improves exponentially instead of linearly (if that makes sense?) I just need to get to that point. :lol: Of course, my 62 year old body is taking much longer than my 54 year old one did to get there.

poppins3
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I would love to find an event to train for and a friend to train with!

What are some good ways to find runners in my area?

Sheila53
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Poppins3, the running shoe store is often a good place. Plus I've found races through the internet by searching on 5K and the name of my town.

YP1
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Cheated again... It was the running club AGM so we only did a short run (4.2 miles) before it. I'm going out for pizza with them tomorrow night, and I've got a couple of hours between work and eating so I might fit in a longer run before the pizza rather than coming home in between.

Frus, did you get to your running group? How did it go?

Bette k
03-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone
I just started the c25k program on Tuesday and I'm hoping to run a 5k either in July or October. I'm really out of shape, and it is going to take me a while to get going, but I really want to run. I did some running a long time ago in college. What is funny now but frustraiting then was my son went with me to help with the time keeping on my first day, I'm running and sweating and he just walks along beside me. When I had to stop he jumps a fence and takes off sprinting uphill to beat me home by 5 minutes.

Ilene
03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
:welcome: Bette ... Keep at it and you'll do fine in your 5k ... Running is a wonderful exercise...

2frustrated
03-22-2007, 07:15 AM
:wave:

Helen YES I WENT TO THE RUNNING CLUB :carrot: :woohoo:

I ran 6k and felt mighty sick, and cold and had to take a fair few walk breaks - there were HILLS :faint: Haven't really done hills before :dizzy:

DH was dragged along too - and I was saying, "I'm scared, I'm scared" all the way up the street and we get to within sight of the shop and he says, "Shall we just go home...?" NO!!!! We do not JUST GO HOME!!!! We face our fears and look like pratts in our hats and gloves and come back last :p

It was fun - I enjoyed it and think that I pushed harder than I would've done if I'd just been out on my own. I was paired up with some really scary super-tall-super-skinny-super-fit guy who said he was doing, "Warm weather training in Portugal tomorrow!" :faint: :lol: :censored:

I think I will go again, not sure about DH - he did look awful pale this morning! :devil:

I've got a long-ish run planned for Sunday since DH is out. I think I might do a 6 miler. :dunno: I need to get over to gmap-pedometer and work out a nice route.

YP1
03-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Warm weather training is just another word for a holiday though ;)

Glad it went OK, you'll get used to those hills soon enough.

Lucky13
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
hello all

it's been quite a few months but i've pretty much been running for most of the time...

i was planning on doing a marathon this past december but injured my knee 2 weeks before and didn't run until January.

I've been putting in about 20+ miles a week for awhile now...still not where i was (especially since putting on 10+ pounds...) but we're going on vacation in a couple of weeks so i've been pretty dilligent about running and eating so hopefully i will feel somewhat normal by the time we leave.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Ran a 5K (St. Paddy's Day run) in 28:45 - (9:14 pace) - not bad - but i was hoping for 28 flat...

poppins3
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I did C25K Week 6, Day 1 today, and it was fine though I hate this OLD treadmill!

I have a weird commute schedule, though luckily it ends on April 18!! My school and my home with DH are about 2.5 hours apart. Two nights a week, I live in a condo near my school with a friend. I have an old treadmill in my bedroom there that really does a number on my feet. I usually run on the treadmill once a week for C25K and walk on it the other day. (I don't want to run back-to-back days yet, so I like to save as many running days as possible for my good treadmill!)

On my four days home with DH, I use the really nice Landice treadmills in the fitness center of our condo building. I always feel so much better running on these.

But, and the point of my story, is that I really need to have my gait analyzed and get some new shoes because I don't want to risk injury, especially when some of my running is on a less-than-perfect treadmill!

hikerchick
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi all. Welcome newbies!

Trying to run faster and boy is it going slow. I can manage to do the first mile in 10 minutes but then I am out of steam. Made 5k in 34 minutes. I would like to be able to do it in 30. It will take time.

Princess Tink
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
ive logged on 2 i tunes and theres a podcast for runners that has the entire c25k program on, 1 for each week, its wicked he talks you through it and the music is really motivational!! any one else on the C25K - im only on week 1!!!

Tink :carrot:

LisaMarie71
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
hikerchick, are you doing any specific speedwork? Workouts tailored to just developing speed? I want to get faster too, but right now I'm focusing on building distance and trying not to think too much about how slow I am. I've been doing a bit of speedwork on Thursdays on the treadmill (all my other runs are outside). I warm up with a slow jog, then build my speed gradually and do intervals at higher speeds. I think it's made a bit of difference, because I'm going a tiny bit faster on my longer runs without actually trying to. After my 10k I plan to start working on speed a little more. I've read that doing speedwork on a track is good, but I haven't tried that yet. I may do that a bit in the summer (luckily my husband is a coach and has the key to our high school track!)

midwife
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Got up at 5 and ran for 35 minutes. Second time this week. It was soooo painful crawling out of bed, but I am glad I did it.

hikerchick
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Lisa, Yeah I do speedwork, I suppose. Its so hard to think of it in that way since I am so slow. I just started. I did some intervals on tuesday and then today I ran up the hilly parts as fast as I can until I just can't. I can do this for the first mile ok. Second mile not so good and third its almost impossible. But I just started and I have only been running for a month so I don't feel too bad.

I try to do more distance on the weekend when DH has more time to be with the kids. Weekdays I don't have as much time. (I have a two year old). I am up to a ridiculously slow 5 miles.

LisaMarie71
03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
hiker, if you just started and you're going 5 miles, you're doing FANTASTIC no matter how slow you're going. And you probably aren't as slow as I am -- I'm still carrying around a fair amount of fat so I don't plan to get fast any time soon. I feel a bit silly calling what I do speedwork too, but I guess it IS speedwork for me. And I think I'm improving because I manage to shave off at least a few seconds every time I do a measured 5k run (on the treadmill or on the road). I've only done that 3 times, though. Today I did the 5k in 35:30. I doubt I'll get much faster than that in the near future. My goal now is just to do my 10k next Saturday, rest a few days, then keep up a schedule of at least 20 miles a week and start building up my long runs to prepare for the half marathon in September, which I will run/walk VERY slowly just to get through it!

Seriously, though -- you've only been running a month and you're already doing 5-mile runs and tackling hills. You're the WOMAN!

futurepixie
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I am going to assume that close counts in running as well as horseshoes and hand grenades- I did the 20 minutes without stopping, except for at about the 14 minute mark i walked for about a minute and a half and then ran the rest of the 20. And on the first day of TOM no less! (I dunno bout you but for me it seems like all physical activity is harder on the first day or so of TOM) so i am gonna say that counts and do this: :carrot:

All the support and encouragement here is wonderful! i doubt that i would be as excited about this as i am without a ton of people here to cheer eachother on along the way. Warm fuzzies to all! :hug:

YP1
03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Well done on the 20 minutes futurepixie.

I feel virtuous tonight. We had a running club meal at a pizza place this evening, but I squeezed 8 miles in between work and showering to go out, so I felt like I'd earned that pizza :)

hikerchick
03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh Helen with all you do I am sure you earned that pizza...enjoy!

BTW If you haven't seen it already check out stumptuous.com go to iron and then whats new. You are the latest link in her blog. You're famous. :D

ennay
03-23-2007, 01:59 PM
4 and change this morning.

YP1
03-24-2007, 06:06 AM
4.4 miles this morning. I've got a half tomorrow but it's a lovely morning and I wanted to get out there so I took it easy. I often run 3 - 4 miles the day before a race actually, at the moment my long runs (and my races) are so long that 3 - 4 miles just feels like a nice gentle trot out rather than a hard workout so I'm not worried about it tiring me too much. (Although when I say I took it easy, I've just looked how long it used to take me to run it. I've not done that route for ages but last summer when I used to run it regularly I was usually around the 40 minute mark - sometimes down to 39 something, but up to times as long as 45 minutes. Today I did it in 36 :faint: )

Off to buy some more running shoes later. The ones I've got are fine but will probably hit 500 miles or so just before my marathon (they've done 300 at the moment) so I want to get some fresh ones on the go so I can have them nicely worn in for when I need them.

LisaMarie71
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I did 4 miles this morning too, Helen -- the Saturday group run -- and it took me 45 minutes. That's actually about right for me, though -- a little fast, considering there were some major hills. I felt pretty good about the run.

It was our last Saturday run before the 10k -- next Saturday I'll give a full report of my very first race!

ennay
03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Way to go Lisa!!!

9.5 miles this morning. Felt hard, but it was a good pace too. Humid though.

Skiing all week next week so just gonna squeeze in maybe 1 run. Maybe more if I feel up to evening running AFTER skiing

I know what you mean Helen about 3-4 easy miles though. I'm not back there yet, but your brain totally shifts as well as your body. I've had days where I said I wasnt going to run because I needed a rest and a new running friend wanted me to go out with her for a mile or two and of course I went. And I am finally starting to run BEFORE races to warmup instead of thinking the race is long enough and why would I add another mile to it.

Unfortunately I am still slower than I was pre preggo for most of my runs. Getting there, maybe only a minute off the pace now. I'm going to start training with my team next month and that is what got me faster last time ("fast" being an extremely relative term)

poppins3
03-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Finished Week 6, Day 2 today.

My feet didn't hurt at all, which makes me think it's not so much the shoes that are a problem (though I do need to have my gait analyzed at a running store), but the old treadmill.

I'm kind of dreading the longer 2.25, 2.5, and 3 mile runs on the old treadmill, but there's no way to avoid it.

YP1
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Lisa - I can't believe it's come round so fast. I'm sure you'll have a great time at the race!

I've bought my marathon trainers now, so I just need to break them in.

hikerchick
03-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm sure you will love the longer runs poppns. Its addictive and doing the longer runs feels like such a huge accomplishment that the difficulty factor gets minimized.

Today did 5 miles. Walked and sprinted up hills in the last 2 miles and still got in under an hour (which though by some standards is slow is still super fast for me).

My time still kind of sucks but i am so proud of my self because I am kicking but up the steep hills. Before I was running them but S L O W L Y. Now I can really cruise. Almost to the top. I can get to the top of the 2 less steep hills but the big one I only make all the way up sometimes. Its long AND steep so I do my best.

Then after this I am so worked that I can only jog slowly or even walk but it feels like an awesome workout.

Have fun on your race Helen! Taking it easy with 4.4 miles. How long have you been at this? That's just so cool I can't stand it.

Oh and Lisa I can't wait to hear about your first race. So exciting!

AnneWonders
03-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Good going on the runs poppins! Lisa, you are doing a fantastic job.

Ennay, did you ever find the secret to being illness-free? If so could you pass it along? I'm on upper respiratory infection number 4 for the year. I haven't been able to run since last Sunday, and the last exercise I got was swimming on Tuesday.

Anne

YP1
03-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Hikerchick - I started trying to run in summer 2004 (seems so long ago when I write it down!!!) I didn't make a huge amount of progress though until I trained up for my first 5k which was in summer 2005. Since then I've been steadily building it up. I'm shocked to actually think about it and realise I'm nearly coming up to the second anniversary of the first time I ran 5k straight on the treadmill. I think it was April 2005, and I was so proud of myself for doing it. I don't think I could have guessed what sort of running freak I'd turn into at that point.

WindyCityChick
03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Lisa, I am so excited for your race next weekend, can't wait to read the report! I ran 9 miles today, very pleased that I was able to reach a new distance for me. Still aiming for a half marathon this summer, so I'm trying to stretch my long run each weekend a bit further.

YP1
03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I've just realised that not only does 4 miles seem like a gentle jog, but even half marathons don't seem that far any more! I had a fantastic race today.

Rewind to the end of January - I was getting all stressed because I thought I'd run under 1:50 for my half and the provisional results had me a couple of seconds over (the final results corrected it and put me at 1:49:30). I said that my next goal would have to be to get under 1:45. To be honest I didn't pay much attention to that goal, I thought I'd get my marathon out of the way first before trying to pick up a bit more speed for a half. I did another half at 1:47:47 a month ago, but still didn't set my sights much higher than that, and expected roughly similar again.

So I must have pushed just about as hard as I could to finish in 1:43:03 on what was a hillier course than the other two :carrot: :carrot: Amazingly that's sub 8 minute miles all the way round and a mere 4 seconds per mile slower than my 10k PB.

I think I'm going to have a few drinks to celebrate this afternoon :D

(And I'm not going to go sub 1:40 in my next half - it's the local one and I know how hilly it is!)

ennay
03-25-2007, 12:48 PM
daaaaaaang you are fast.

I would like to come close to matching my half PR in May (2:07:??) but that will be tough given my setbacks, although when I did set that PR it was a bad race. I have another half in June but it is super hilly. I think I would be really really happy with ~2:10 for both. Then no more halfs until sept, but that will be a warmup for the marathon.

hikerchick
03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow! (general comment to all you experienced runners)

Lisa, we are about neck and neck. I haven't done 5k in under 34 and that might be off a bit since I am estimating the length of my road.

I have seen all the map my run sites and i am so rural that the map is wrong.

I generally think that my times are optimistically low but I figure since the hills are ridiculously steep that probably counts for something. Anyhow it helps me track my progress and i know its close.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I only just found your response. When I post after a run my brain cells are not functionng quite as efficiently as normal.

5 miles is totally pushing it for me but it is so much fun to push it. I have been in a routine where I do 3 miles during the week and 5 on the weekend. Seems to work well for now. I haven't really adjusted to it yet so its not quite time to push the envelope. I generally do 12 minute miles.

My favorite thing to do lately is tell people about how I am running. They never quite know what to say and most of them get a bit intimidated. "I could never do that I am just not a runner"

Its just like being a math major. (I was years ago) It was such a converstion stopper. Whats your major? Math? "Oh I was never good at that. "

Funny how math and running are similar in that way. Whodda thunk?

2frustrated
03-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I have been for a run :( My knee is NOT a happy bunny. RICE for me for a day or two. I think the problem started yesterday walking around town in non-supporting footwear, then sitting for an extended period of time in the cinema. It felt odd last night, but then was better this morning. Unfortunately after about 2.5 miles it started screaming, so I walked the rest of the way :(

:censored:

WindyCityChick
03-25-2007, 04:31 PM
2frustrated, sorry to hear your knee is bothering you. Rest up, you don't want a more serious injury.

I ran 5 miles today - it's 75 degrees and humid in Chicago today, so I felt like I was running through liquid. This 5 mile run was way harder than the 9 mile run I did yesterday under cooler temps. Hope this is not a precursor of how running in the summer is going to feel. I assume that it's an adjustment period, like most things, but today sure felt tough!

Ilene
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
8.25k run today, it was awesome, took me an hour.... I had plenty of stored up carbs from the Chinese food last night :lol: ...

Ilene
03-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Rachel , I don't do well with warm weather running either... I'll try harder this year though ... Last year I just about stopped running in the summer and biked instead...

LisaMarie71
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Its just like being a math major. (I was years ago) It was such a converstion stopper. Whats your major? Math? "Oh I was never good at that. "

Funny how math and running are similar in that way. Whodda thunk?

You'd love my husband -- a math teacher AND a running coach!

Helen, amazing job on your half marathon -- as always, very inspiring! Great job to everyone, by the way -- we're putting in some serious miles in this little group!! And we all seem to be improving at our various levels of experience, which is so great to see and to share.

I cleaned my house all day, preparing for family coming in this week (as you may remember, my brother is coming up to run the 10k, and bringing his wife and daughter and my mother will be here as well). My house is an utter wreck so it's been an all day job and we're still nowhere near done, so we missed our usual Sunday yoga.

I did squeeze in a 2-mile run, however, and it was pretty nice. Ran at about an 11-minute pace, which is my comfortable pace for shorter runs now, and actually wore shorts! Lovely sunny day. I have a problem with shorts, though, unless they're very tight, because they ride up and annoy me. My legs have become MUCH thinner (I always lose weight there first anyway), but my shorts still get caught up in my abundant thigh fat. :lol: I ran around 6pm and I saw my shadow most of the way, and I couldn't help thinking how much smaller my shadow is these days! My legs looked like they belong on someone else, I swear! :)

Lydia227
03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I have been for a run :( My knee is NOT a happy bunny. RICE for me for a day or two. :censored:

Awww Fru! :hug: I feel for you. :yes: Is this the same injury from last month? Mine is just starting to get better. I finally have more range of motion. Unfortunately, I really can't run more than ten minutes on it yet. The knee starts to ache and then my gait is all over the place trying to compensate for it. Just not worth it yet for me. Hang in there. It just takes time. :^:

sportmom
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Just jumping in here to say that I plan to start this tomorrow morning first thing! I've been on my current plan for 6 months and am looking for a boost of something new at this point as an add-in. One question that I could not find the answer to on the CR website. On a treadmill, what is considered running speed for an avg height woman? 4.0? 4.5? I know speed is not one of the early goals of the program, but I want to make sure what I"m doing is really running and not just what would technically be considered a fast walk.

hikerchick
03-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Fran:welcome2:

Great to see you over here on the running side of things.

I am brand spanking new to just about everything and I run outside so I can't say for sure about speed but my best guess would be to start at 4.5 and go from there.

What's your plan for getting started? Have you looked at C25K? Its very good. I did my own but it involved the same Jogging/Walking intervals. I found it very helpful.

The way I see it if it feels like a run then it counts. Yes you don't want to go for speed but I think that it feels best if you push yourself a bit. That's why intervals help so much. It gives you a chance to push and then recover. Otherwise I probably would have dropped dead in the first week.

Anyhow I didn't really answer your question but I wanted to welcome you over here. Let us all know how it goes tomorrow.

sportmom
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks HC. I've been hanging out on the CR website in the newbie forum. So I think I'm going to try their official Week 1 program. It's 3 days of running with days off in between. I think it's ok to do my cardio walking even on the days off, right? It just means no running, is my guess. I'm trying not to pepper their forum with too many silly questions, and trying to lurk 'n learn for now! :)

jamsk8r
03-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi all,

I'm going to try the C25K program. I've wanted to try it for a while, but wasn't sure my joints would take it. I decided to give it a go yesterday, though, and did the first workout with no complaints from my ankles or knees! So far, so good. I am going to skip and extra day, even though I am anxious to try the second workout, because I want to get it on a schedule of alternate days with riding my bike. Looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Cheryl

2frustrated
03-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Lydia - yeah it's the same thing. It felt like my someone was trying to prise my kneecap off with a screwdriver! :lol: :mad: So I'm thinking perhaps it was the shoes :dunno: I have some new ones being made as we speak so we shall see.

Fran - I think you're running if you have both feet off the floor at the same time - a fast walk and you always have at least one foot on the floor. I think that's how they judge those power-walking events. I remember reading someone being disqualified for running because they had photographic evidence of her with both feet off the floor. I think however fast/slow you go, as long as you feel like you're jogging rather than walking then you're doing alright :)

:wave: Hi cheryl!

elisa822
03-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Fran - I think a "comfortable" starting speed is different for each person. I didn't do the C25K because I didn't have the time to devote to it and I was in okay shape so I kind of did my own thing but many people swear by this, if you're really new to running.

For me, I started off walking at about 3.5 and a light jog at around 4.2 and slowly increased my distance and speed over time. Now I "run" (and I use that term loosely) my 5k at around 5.2-5.6 and still slow to a walk for a minute if I ever need to. Not sure if that helps but I think once you get on the treadmill, you'll figure it out! My one "outside" run, I finished my 5k in around 36-38 minutes, I think and just tried to stay at a comfortable pace.

As for me, I'm not thrilled at the weather here this past weekend. It was supposed to be quite nice and, of course, Friday was but yesterday turned out to be quite cold and chilly and I didn't get out for my run. And yes, I know people run at all temperatures but I'm not quite there yet.

Oh well, this week is supposed to be quite nice!

Good luck to all your cool runners.

Lydia227
03-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Frus: Good luck with the new shoes. How cool to have them made just for you. :cool:

Fran: Good luck with your first run! You're gonna love it! And as everyone else stated, don't worry too about how fast you should go. You will find your own natural stride and it will just keep getting better the stronger you become. Choose just one thing, time, distance or speed and improve upon that one at a time. And lastly, if it ever starts to hurt, just stop. Sounds silly but for me it takes just as much discipline to stop as it does to get started. :s:

poppins3
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Yay!! I just finished Week 6, Day 3 -- 2.25 mi run with no walking!!

I LOVE RUNNING!

Now that I'm in the longer runs of the program, I'm going to have to find a way to avoid my old treadmill. (I have access to a nice new treadmill 4 days per week, but when I commute -- it's an old treadmill for the other three days, and the old treadmill hurts my feet and legs.) I may start going to the gym on campus -- though all the tiny co-eds kind of intimidate me -- so that I can use the newer equipment there. That'll throw a crimp in my schedule, but it might be work it, since I'm only in school for another three weeks anyhow.

Fran: I'm 5'4, and I walk at 4.2 and run at 5.2. Not a huge difference, but my body feels it!

hikerchick
03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Woo Hoo Poppins! See I told ya you'd love it.

Those first real runs are so amazing. It is quite an acomplishment.

Today I got out and did 3 miles. Still feeling worked from Sunday's run. But managed to go out and have a decent (but slow) time. I still have to work really hard just to go slow. I wonder when a slow run will feel like a walk in the park.

Pretty day today up here in the hills. Chilly and frosty dawn with a hint of spring when the sun comes up and the flowers are all starting to bloom.

sportmom
03-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi friends! I started my Couch to 5K program today! Did my first run this morning and was just fine!! We'll see how tomorrow is, but so far so good. The running intervals (1 minute for six intervals) were easy. I strapped on 3 sports bras and was fine. I need to figure out how to keep my flanks from bouncing though, that was really the only sensation that bothered me. The cardio aspect was fine as well, I cycled back and forth b/w 4 (walking) and 5 (running) on my treadmill bc that was easy to do with my one touch buttons. Then for the last segment I took it up to 6 on the run, and really felt it. So that was a stretch, but other than that, it was very very cool. I absolutely know that my dedicated walking and weight lifting for the last 6 months has made a huge difference. Thanks for all your encouragement here!

YP1
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Poppins - that's fantastic! It's amazing how quickly you get hooked. And well done for starting hr babe.

I had a lovely run tonight. First run since the clocks changed yesterday, it was lovely sunshine all afternoon, and so nice being able to run off road because it was still light rather than trudging round housing estates. I'm looking forward to summer :)

LisaMarie71
03-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Great job, hrbabe!! Make sure you keep us posted on all your progress!

I ran 3 miles really slowly today. I'm taking it VERY easy this week in preparation for the race. I plan to do an easy 2 miles tomorrow and an easy 2 miles Thursday, and that's it.

Here's what I'm worried about with the race. My husband has to start at 8:30, and 24,000 people run this thing so we have to get there really early just to part, but I don't have to run until 9:30. I'm worried that I'll stand around for so long that I'll be worn out before I even begin. Ack! I'm also worried about the food situation. I want to make sure I eat enough before the race but not so much that my stomach's upset. Since I'll be standing around a few hours, I suppose I should eat a little something before I leave and then take a banana or something with me. What do you think?

I'll probably be asking for advice all week as I get closer to Saturday!

AnneWonders
03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Helen, you are so my new hero! That is an awesome time!

Hrbabe, are you wearing compression shorts? They are an absolute run-saver for me. Like a bra for all the floppy bits on my thighs and backside. :) They also keep my thighs from chafing. Not that you have the same issues, of course!

Lisa, you are going to do just fine at the race. Eat something lower-GI (oatmeal, banana) a couple hours before, maybe 200-300 calories, and then maybe something higher-GI (gel, gatorade) just a little before. It is possible to get worn out standing around, but walking is easier than standing if you can do that--getting trapped in a corral for an hour is the worst. Sitting on a nice piece of grass and then warming up a few minutes before is ideal, if you can swing it. Good luck, I'm so excited for you! I know you are going to do great.

I'm almost done being sick, I think, and am shooting for a run Wednesday morning. Public commitment--if I'm well, I'll do it! Why does it always seem like such a big deal after a layoff??

Anne

YP1
03-27-2007, 04:44 AM
I tend to eat a decent size breakfast before I leave the house. I might nibble on some dried fruit or energy tablets while waiting for the race to start, but nothing more substantial than that. I also tend to get all my drinking done early, then spend the last hour before the race in the toilet queue...

NavyWifeDee
03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, if you can call it that... more of a shuffling jog still for me. After my disappointing DNF on my second 5k, I've been actually running instead of being lazy, and wanted to start posting with you guys if it's okay. I ran a bit over 2 miles Saturday, then a mile Sunday (had to re-calibrate the Ipod, it was off by 4/10 of a mile) and another mile last night. I was supposed to do more last night, but TOM is here, and it was a mental struggle just to get out the door. I did do last night's run in less than 12:45, so getting closer to the elusive 10 min mile for me. You guys are such an inspiration, thanks.

Dee

sportmom
03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi guys, I was thrilled this morning when I realized I woke up w/o any pain this morning. So a regular cardio incline treadmill WALK for me today, and run#2 will be tomorrow. Also going to try to do my weight lifting today.

Someone on the other board said we should not do a lower body workout on our off running days bc the running tears down our legs enough. Is this true? I tend to think of running as more cardio that muscle building, esp. if you've already been lifting, but what do you guys think? I may need to post that question to LWL as well.

On the shorts, thanks Anne. I am using bicycle length, workout shorts. But they are a std cotton/lycra mix. Are you saying that actual compression - the really tight nylon type (like I think my adidas bra is) will work better? Any suggested brands or links so I can get an idea what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Fran

AnneWonders
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Fran, I just use Champion 9 inch shorts, lycra/cotton blend. I forget what exactly they are called, workout shorts, liners, something like that. I get them at a Bally/Haines outlet mall near me. They have similar ones at Target. Underarmour has some as well, but they are a bit pricey. There are probably some minor differences between brands. One thing that helped me a bit is to size down, so they are a little tighter and compress better--it stops the jiggling and theoretically helps to support and keep blood flow to the muscles.

I once had a pair of CWX tights that felt so good on my legs, but the seams in the crotch area were not flat-lock and really chafed me badly (to the point of bleeding) on a long run. If they get that issue fixed, I'd buy a pair of CWX again in a heartbeat, even though they are very pricey. I think they make shorts and bras now as well. I've only seen then in catalogs recently, and really would want to check to be sure those seams are done right--it was very strange because the leg seams were perfect.

I am feeling better today and I will run either tonight or tomorrow morning. I should be 100% by then.

Anne

AnneWonders
03-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, I used to have a terrible time doing strength training on my legs and running. I'd get so sore I couldn't even walk right for days. The running magazines always seem to emphasize runner's strength training--running hills, plyometrics, stuff like that. Runner's World or Cool Running might have some tips. These days I barely have time to run, bike and swim enough so strength training has kind of gone by the wayside, even though I know it is good for me.

Anne

sportmom
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Anne. I have Champion shorts, so I will pull those out and use them - in fact, already got them ready this morning for tomorrow bc they are the tightest ones I have. Thanks!

elisa822
03-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I never even thought of the Champion shorts but if they're as good as their bras, then I should check them out too!

Today, in this beautiful weather, I ran my 5k outside! I'm still struggling to find a "fun" downtown route but I did fine and finished in about 36 minutes. I felt so sluggish and am still adjusting from the treadmill to the road but it's coming along. The first km was tough and then I sort of settled in. It's tougher setting a good pace without the treadmill to help my but the traffic lights sometimes forced me to stop and then I could catch my breath so it all balanced out.

Hi to all the other runners! Hope your weather was as nice today as ours was.

Ilene
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Yes, the weather was super awesome here today too, ran 7.25k in 53 mins... Ran with a long sleeved dry-weave t-chirt and capris, it was perfect!

Elisa -- Good for you for going outside, it'll take a few tries but you'll soon get the hang of it and never want to see a dreadmill again :yes:...

sportmom
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi all, had my second run today on the c25k. Did well, but it seemed to wear me out alot more. Still adjusting my stride. Went from 5.0 on the t-mill to 5.5. I felt like I was just literally plunking/plodding along with awful form and thought maybe my stride was off. 5.5 seemed better, but winded me out more. Oh well, that I can live with and adjust to. As long as I've got no aches or strains. So far, so good on that front.

Wore the Champion tighter shorts today (thanks Anne) and did just fine with them. Seriously minimized the back-fat-slap that I complained about on Monday (yes, feel free to use that word!)

May seriously have to i-pod shop though. The TV is just not doing it for me on the runs. I actually look down at the logo on the front base of the treadmill and that seems to be where I'm most comfortable with neck position. If I try to look forward, over at the tv, I'm just not happy. My head wants to look downward and I have to admit that watching my feet and the tmill tracking coming up keeps my mind off the clock. Hmmm........

Any suggestions on that? Also, what's a good post-run meal? I generally have a few bites of dd's uneaten b'fast before I run, which is a couple of bagel bites and a sip of OJ. Then I have my breakfast afterward, either oatmeal or kashi cereal. I'm eating like I learned for general cardio and post lifting - I guess the same thing would make sense here, right? I like having just a bite before running to keep my empty stomach from making me feel woozy.

YP1
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
A mixture of carbs and protein is good post run - one that I've seen recommended a fair bit is a peanut butter sandwich/bagel.

I'm looking forward to my run tonight, it's another lovely evening. To make the most of it I might even walk up there first (it's about 3 miles away from work).

hikerchick
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I like to eat chopped up fruit with unsweetened non fat yogurt after a run.

I had a sad run today. HR you were talking about LBWO and running. Well I can't do them on alternating days. I put my LBWO yesterday and it absolutely ruined my run today. Maybe a mile and a half. I walked home deflated. I think part of it had to do with the fact that my 2 year old crawled into bed with me and peed on me at 4 in the morning and I am just plain tired.

Still I think I will keep LBWO after runs two days a week. I can't do as much this way but I would rather keep my runs and scale back a little on LB than the other way around.

Anyhow (weep weep) theres always friday.

Ilene
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Post run I like oatmeal and a protein shake...

sportmom
03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
ahh, hiker chick, sorry to hear that! Especially about how you were awakened at 4 am. blech

I am going to try, for now, keeping my lbwo on my alternate running days. So M & F I will do lbwo. That means doing ubwo on Wednesday after I run and either S or S. Then on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday I will do a cardio walk. There, that helped just typing it all out because I've been needing to write it down and hang it somewhere. Sunday should be my day of total rest - ok, maybe a dvd if my skin crawls!

WaterRat
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Sunday should be my day of total rest - ok, maybe a dvd if my skin crawls!

:lol: Fran - you really have the bug now!

I started out doing a run from week 3 last night, but I just could not finish it. :( I'm sure it's more mental than physical, but I was quite disappointed. I have a meeting tonight so I'll do it again on Thurs. I'm experiencing quite a bit of stress at work (some of which is beyond my control - I can only work on how to react) which I'm sure is contributing to my mental state (and unfortunately to my desire to stuff my face :) ). Some of the stress will be alleviated when I have 3 grant applications finished and signed off on Friday and if the weather would cooperate, maybe I can run outside again! We had another 6" of snow over last weekend, and the temperatures are back at zeroF in the mornings again. Grrrr.

poppins3
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Well, I *broke* the old treadmill this morning while I was trying to adjust the belt, so I decided just to go to the school gym. I forgot how well-equipped and pleasant the campus gym is, and I think I'll try to go at least once a week when I'm in town for school. (I might go tomorrow morning as well, though I'd have to drive all the way home to shower because I don't like showering there, then all the way back for my first class -- each way is about 20 mins. Oh well, I can decide later.)

I wasn't as intimidated by all of the tiny girls as I thought I would be, especially because I FELT WONDERFUL RUNNING 2.5 MILES THIS MORNING FOR C25K!!! (Just a bit excited.)

It also helped that the guy next to me kept checking my time and that some guy in line at the snack bar bought my fruit salad. Yes, I am happily married, but these things make a girl feel great. :)

YP1
03-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I ran 7.5 miles this evening, after walking up to the club (3 miles). I ran with the boys and felt good, I wish I could bottle this form and save it for Edinburgh!

Hikerchick - we learn by trial and error, hope your next run is better.

AnneWonders
03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
My post-run food is usually just whatever breakfast would be, cereal, banana, and milk most often. After a long run, more than 10K or so, I'll drink a can of V8 for its salt and antioxidant content, and then a small container of chocolate milk for it's near perfect carb/protein ratio and its good taste.

Good work, poppins.

I have a roaring headache, so no run tonight, but I'm going tomorrow morning for sure. Somewhere between 2 and 4 miles depending on how I feel. Putting my stuff out now!

Anne

LisaMarie71
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Everyone's doing so great! Keep at it!

I didn't get to run yesterday, AND I had a big old piece of cheesecake! Not a stellar day for my health, but it was kind of a much needed break. I missed running, though.

Today I squeezed in a 2-mile run on the treadmill at the gym before I had to help out at the track meet at my school. Over four hours of timing runners. Very tiring and annoying, but it was cool to see the kids run so fast!

WindyCityChick
03-29-2007, 12:09 AM
It's constantly a revelation to me how much I've become addicted to running. I wasn't able to get out Monday or Tuesday, and I was practically bursting at the seams to get out there today (ran 6.5 miles this morning, and it felt fabulous). From the last few posts, it looks like I'm not the only one who feels that way - a much better addiction than food, that's for sure.

hikerchick
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi all.

Feeling better today and wanted to pop in to tell you all that you are all doing so great and you are such and inspiration. Its so cool to see everyone in all stages of running development.

It is quite addicting. Its very weird still to be on the "other side" I still feel as if I have popped through the looking glass. Any other newbies know what I mean?

elisa822
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
hikerchick - I know exactly what you mean and I also love coming here for inspiration but don't think that there's a day when I will actually be the inspiration! ;)

That won't stop me from trying though!

SarahinBalance
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey ladies -

Haven't been around in a while... kind of swore off the "diet" in the sense that I was posting too often and a little obsessed... Anyways, I definitely haven't stopped my running... Popped on here today to grab a couple of recipes and thought I would post.

So I was training for my half marathon last time I was here, and completed it February 18th... Was such an incredibly awesome feeling, and was SO proud of myself... prior to that our longest was a 16 miler, so after that 13 felt much more do-able. Final time for the half was about a 10 min. mile which was my original goal so I was stoked!

Did a 10K this past Sunday... Starting in April to train for my marathon and am really excited! Put my name in the lottery for the New York marathon, and if I don't make that then I'll run the San Antonio one in November...

Hope everyone has a great day!

midwife
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Congrats on the half marathon time, Sarah, and good luck in the lottery!!

kiwichic
03-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I would love to run again , I haven't run since I was in my early 20's.
I just seem stuck in the I can't do it thing.
I think I will read in hear more often and maybe I will get enough motivation to get started.
I am very envious of you ladies that have just got on with it, cheers to you :)

LisaMarie71
03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
kiwichic, if I can run anyone can. Seriously. I've never been a runner, and I started when I weighed 250. The unlikeliest runner ever!

I ran an easy two miles tonight -- my last run before the 10k on Saturday. Getting a bit nervous!

sportmom
03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
When does the runner's high/ endorphin rush kick in? Is it based on an amount of time that you run, or an addiction to the running that develops over time - as you become a more experienced runner? I don't think I'm feeling it yet, and the fact that I have to ask this question, probably means I haven't reached it yet. But it probably doesn't come with 60 or even 3 minute intervals........

AnneWonders
03-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I got out this morning for 3.1 miles, taking a walk break about every half mile to get the crud out of my nose, throat, and lungs. A decent run. Walked my elderly dogs about a mile after that. Felt good to be out again. I'm planning to bike tomorrow and maybe Saturday too, so I'll be running again soon.

Fran, I don't get the runner's high very often. Like maybe a handful of times since I started. I just feel really really strong.

Sarah, great going on your half!

Lisa, good luck on that 10K!

Elisa, I think everyone who gets off their backside and gives it their everything is an inspiration. It certainly reminds me why I'm out there on the bad run days, or the "I'd rather stay in bed days".

Anne

YP1
03-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Sarah - well done, Lisa good luck!

I did a 30 minute tempo run this morning at roughly 10k pace (a bit faster than I ran on Sunday in my half). It actually felt surprisingly good, but I didn't have time to do more because I had to wait 10 minutes for a treadmill because the gym was so busy.

Long run tomorrow.

poppins3
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I did my second 2.5-mi run this morning. I could not be happier with C25K and how I feel when running. I think I definitely have some type of runner's high -- I feel like I could conquer the world.

:woohoo:

I am definitely going to a running store this weekend to have my gait analyzed.

hikerchick
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I had a great and groovy 3 mile run today. Hills are getting easier. I suppose I get the runners high when I have run "enough" what ever that means. For me usually about 3 miles but sometimes I think it is partially psychological like when I have met a goal.

Lisa I am wishing you lots o luck on your race. Its so exciting.

Still working out the balance of weights and jogging. You are right Helen it is very much trail and error. Ha ha I meant to tipe "trial" but I suppose I will leave that typo in.

Have a great day all.

WaterRat
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Yay! I did a Week 3 session last night without stopping! :) I'll do another tomorrow. We have a long training session for the half marathon (Team-in-Training) at a very nice rubberized indoor track. I'll just walk to warm up, do the week 3 session, and walk the rest of the time (we do timed sessions as folks are training for different events). It even has inclines on the short sides! It's ever so much nicer than running on the :tread: Hopefully the weather will warm up next week and melt the snow/ice on the bike trail I like to use. However, it was zero F again this morning, though by mid-moring it's in the 20's and bright sunshine. :)

silverose1209
03-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow Gals..I am JEALOUS!
Not really I know you work hard for this....
I am trying desperately to be able to run 1.5 miles without stopping...
I guess I should be encouraged by those running 20 miles without stopping..I dont think I could walk 20 miles without stopping.
I am a bit overweight. I am 5'4" and 165 lbs.
The only time I ever really ran consistently was in Air Force basic. But even then it was TOUGH.
I did my 1.5 miles in 12:20.
But I have gained 45 pounds since then...
I am in the reserves and canot seem to pass a pt test.
What I have been doing: 2 weeks ago I started this routine hoping it would help me:
EACH week I run 4 days a week at least. the 1st week I ran 1/2 mile. The 2nd week I have been running 1 mile(VERY slowly). Next week is 1.5 miles and the enxt week work on speeding up a bit.
I am doing this because I have a pt test in 2 weeks from now.
I am pretty sure I cannot pass it but I would like to actually run teh whole thing without walking.
When I run i have to go so slow to do it. I can barely breathe and legs hurt so bad. I am sure that extra 45 pounds does not help. I swear I run slower than I walk. But I keep thinking if I keep it up it will help....
Does anyone have any advice on me improving....
Not necessarily passing this pt test but maybe the next one in 3-6 months? I would greatly appreciate any help....
And WAY TO GO all you great runners...
Amy

Ilene
03-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Amy -- I'm not the resident "expert" runner far from it, but from what you describe, I really think you're trying to go too fast for too long, to start. The Couch to 5K is awesome because it starts you very gradually... Running gradually and steadily increasing your time and mileage will make running feel easier and will build your stamina....You have to be patient :D

hrbabe -- I think the runner's high is when you develop that addiction to the running that develops over time, it certainly didn't happen to me right away... I find it also happens when you can run without even thinking that you're running, you just forget everything. This is what the runner's high is, in my mind, anyways...

Lisa -- Good luck with the race

I had a great 8.47k run this morning...

YP1
03-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Amy - I never thought I'd get to this stage, but if you keep working at it, you get there eventually.

I ended up doing 19 miles this morning. I was aiming for somewhere between 18 and 20, but I was getting quite bored because I was just doing a 1.7 mile loop round a lake, so I stopped at 19 rather than going round for another loop.

I'll be having a nice rest for the rest of the day now :)

Ilene
03-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Helen, when you run 19 MILES :eek: do you take walk breaks? Man, 19 miles holy moly, that's a half just for the fun of it :faint: ...

YP1
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I try not to. When I did my 20 mile race the other week I took walk breaks on the hills, but today was mainly flat so I kept on running for all of it. Because I was going round the park there wasn't even any traffic to give me the excuse of stopping to cross a road, so it was running from start to finish.

Believe me, I don't do the really long ones just for fun. It's all marathon training stuff. I prefer to run about 10 or so. Still a long way, but far more manageable.

LyndaGW39
03-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi all, I'm Lynda and I'm very excited to find this thread. I will start week 6 tomorrow. I find I am really surprising myself with the couch to 5K running program. I keep thinking "I'm not going to be able to do that........." and then I can. I found my last 20 minute run easier than my 90 sec. runs were. Plus this keeps me motivating towards losing weight. Could someone explain about having your gait analyzed is?

YP1
03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Basically, different people run in different ways. Some people's feet roll a bit to the side as they run, people strike the floor with different parts of their feet.

What I didn't realise before I started running is that different running shoes support and cushion different parts of the foot. They don't just have different styles so they can sell them in different colours and patterns, they also have different jobs. Some give you more cushioning (which helps if you're a bit heavier or want to reduce impact on your joints), some are lightweight racing shoes, some stop your feet from rolling, and so on.

What I did was that I went to a proper running shop (not a general sports shop, but somewhere with specialist knowledge) and they videoed me running on a treadmill then recommended shoes that would work for my feet. They came up with a selection, then I went for a run outside in the ones I liked the feel of (only just up and down outside the shop, but better than just walking in them). Both times I've had this done I've got great shoes. My first pair were OK when I started running, but didn't have enough cushioning for when I moved up to longer distances which led to a bit of a knee issue. So I went back, got some more which I absolutely love.

The best bit is that you might pay full price when you actually have your feet analysed, once you know shoes that work for you, you can just order them off the internet and get exact replacements at a fraction of the price. Except that might mean that like me you have three absolutely identical pairs of shoes and have to write inside them to remind yourself which one goes with which!

YP1
03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh, and welcome! ;)

ennay
03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Last day of March! I ran a whopping 3.4 miles this past week because I was SKIING!!!! Man I love skiing. I ate like a pig (describing it would be XXX food porn) and maintained my weight.

I have to say, running has done awesome things for my skiing, for the first time ever I outlasted everyone else in our group.

Anyway...here is to a fabulous april and so glad to be home.

ennay
03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Runners-high - for me it is an elusive thing. When I first started I think I got it when I ran my first 5K... For the first time in my ENTIRE life I felt like an athlete!!!

Now, it comes and goes. Just usually after a run where I had a really good run. Long runs get it more, but sometimes on short runs if I went faster than usual. It usually involves doing better than I expected. And sometimes I dont notice it right away, its only several hours later when I am buzzing around the house that I really notice what a good mood I am in.

silverose1209
03-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys..I would not be trying to rush it if i didnt have the pt test coming up so soon.
I jsut dont want to look like I have not been trying. KWIM?
Where can I find this couch potato traiing thing..SOunds good.

Ilene
03-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Here you go Popppins...Couch to 5k :D (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

NavyWifeDee
04-01-2007, 01:05 AM
I ran a mile tonight. I've actually got to move up because I know I can run over 2 without stopping now, but I love the feeling that the mile is getting easier for me.. I have a 5k next week. WTG everyone that's been doing couch to 5k. My daughter wants to start running now, and that's what I'm thinking of doing for her. Hope everyone has a great weekend, with lots of good runs.

Dee

LisaMarie71
04-01-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm just popping in to give you guys a quick note about my first race, but I can give a full report when I'm rested tomorrow! I ran the 10k in 1:12, which is MUCH better than I thought I would do. I took no walk breaks, and I kept a good consistent pace the whole time. Woohoo! I know I'm slow, but for me that was pretty good. :)

YP1
04-01-2007, 03:03 AM
1:12 is really good for a first 10k, well done!

silverose1209
04-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Thanks for teh link...
I guess I jsut need to give up the idea of passing this time and jsut follow this program..Although I think I could do a little better than teh 1st week..Is there a problem with starting at week 3 or 4?

WindyCityChick
04-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Yay LisaMarie, that is an awesome time! I was actually thinking about you yesterday when I was on my morning run. There was a 50k (ack!) run going on along the lakefront in Chicago where I run, for those who think the marathon is just not long enough. Seeing the race numbers made me think that you were probably running your race at about the same time. Can't wait to read your full race report.

This morning, I ran 10 miles. So I've been telling myself that I'll sign up for a half marathon when I hit 10 miles. Went to the website a few minutes ago, but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to register. I think I'm having residual "I'm not really a runner" feelings that I just need to get over. Thought I'd come here for a little encouragement.

Silverose, I'll just give you my two cents, but only you can decide if your level of fitness is appropriate to skip weeks. You definitely want to build up your endurance gradually - the fastest way to injure yourself is to do too much too soon. So, even though you want to jump start things sooner, be careful about pushing too much too fast. That said, if you are already in reasonable shape, skipping ahead a week or so may be appropriate.