Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Three Questions

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

1. My biggest surprise when I reached goal was that I made it. I didn't have much faith to begin with and there were times I never thought I'd get there.

2. Never give up and it will happen is my advice to anyone just starting their lifestyle change. There will undoubtedly be bumps in the road and life will throw you curve balls but persistence and patience win in the long run.

3. I'm fairly new at maintenance myself (almost 8 months). My only advice is not to slack off. Treat it the same way as you did losing the weight. The number one key for me is not only staying true and accountable with the food, but to the exercise.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #3  

1. Excited though I was, I was ready to get to normal. I lost a lot of weight. But that's not the most important thing about me. Being a person of normal weight is not all that exceptional. There's more to life. I was ready to devote more attention to things about life that I missed when so much of my conversation and mental space was devoted to weight loss.

2. Exercise. Find something you like, because you're going to have to keep doing it. Aim for FIT not SKINNY. And steady is more important than fast.

3. I'm still figuring out maintenance. Some days it feels like I'm strolling down the path, and some days I feel like I'm wobbling down a tight rope. But I'm still going the right direction, seven months later.
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

1. My biggest surprise was my lack of excitement. In the end, "goal" is just another number on the scale. No fireworks went off when I got on the scale and saw 130, choirs didn't sing, I didn't run around the house dancing. I just said "Wow, I finally made it," then got in the shower and went to work like usual.

2. Take it one day at a time and BE PATIENT. If you screw up and overeat one day, that doesn't mean you're a failure and you might as well go back to your old ways. Everyone slips up now and then -- tomorrow is a new day to make good choices. And don't give up if the weight isn't coming off fast enough. If you are eating right and exercising, it WILL come off eventually.

3. Don't celebrate by eating pizza and cake. You have to keep making those good choices from when you were losing for the rest of your life, or you will end up right back where you started.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Can I try even though I've flunk one?

The biggest surprise was that I'm really pretty little. I think denial was the big culprit there. I'm fairly certain that most folks have no idea what's really under the fat suit.

Just starting? I wish I'd started lifting weights earlier. Dabble in it all. You can start without structure.

Just reached goal (having done that and bounced). I wish I'd started lifting weights sooner. Did I already say that? Hmmm ... Hang on to 'er Newt! This is not the end of the line. Slim fitness is forever and worth taking the time to figure out properly.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #6  
Running Babe

Hmmm, I am still losing my pregnancy weight, but I thought I'd join in.

1. Like Susan how tiny I was. I ended up a size 6-8 at goal and a 4-6 when I was 5-10lbs lower.

2. Be patient and keep working at it! Also write out all the reasons you want to lose weight and keep looking at them!

3. Maintenance is a lifestyle!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #7  

[QUOTE=SusanB;1590616]The biggest surprise was that I'm really pretty little. [QUOTE]

Can I steal this one? Me, too. I figured I'd be a size twelve, ten at the least. I'm a four. Who knew.
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
1. My biggest surprise when I reached goal was that I made it. I didn't have much faith to begin with and there were times I never thought I'd get there.

2. Never give up and it will happen is my advice to anyone just starting their lifestyle change. There will undoubtedly be bumps in the road and life will throw you curve balls but persistence and patience win in the long run.

3. I'm fairly new at maintenance myself (almost 8 months). My only advice is not to slack off. Treat it the same way as you did losing the weight. The number one key for me is not only staying true and accountable with the food, but to the exercise.
I couldn't have said it better Lilybelle

I would add that "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS" !!
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just wanted to chime in and say what a great idea this is!!!! Thank you to those who have posted. I think it is the kick in the pants that I need to help me get to my own goal! Thanks! (especially everyone's #2)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #10  

Hi all--

Haven't posted in awhile. Busy training for 1/2 marathon, but this question piqued my interest. So here's my 2 cents.

1. Very surprised at how impressed/affected everyone close to me seemed to be about the weight loss. I kind of looked at it like a job to be done, and of no real consequence to anyone but me. Not true.

2. I would advise someone to live like you're already at goal weight. Don't put off enjoying your life until the weight is gone. Start challenging yourself and living like a healthy person right off the bat. Life is too short.

3. I always say to those new at maintenance that it's the actual hardest part of all this. Vigilance never ends, and you don't get to sit back and take a huge break. It's constant awareneness, and as SOON as you ignore your own personal diet and exercise rules-- you're risking relapse.

Best wishes to everyone, hope you're all doing well.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #11  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
1. What was your biggest surprise when you reached goal (if you have)?
The biggest surprise was that my metabolism is actually pretty good. However it was no match for my excessive overeating and sedentary lifestyle.

I also feel great, have tons of energy, am fit, and can do things like run a mile that before seemed impossible.

Wearing a smaller size is nice, but being healthy is what makes me happiest.

Another issue is that I still have a disconnect between what I think my body looks like and what it actually looks like. Recently I thought I had gained weight ,but my relatives told me I looked thinner. So I broke down and got a scale. And sure enough, I had lost 18 pounds since November.

Finally, and not surprising, I have problem areas that reduced with weight loss, but will probably never really go away.

Quote:
2. What advice would you give to someone who's just starting their weight loss journey?
Develop healthy eating habits that you can maintain over a lifetime and make exercise a priority. A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to be punishing or boring.

Don't be afraid to try new things to eat and find an activity that you enjoy. And if making a radical dietary change is too daunting, then make small changes over a longer period of time.

And try to exercise at the same time everyday or make exercise an appointment for yourself. Think of exercise as being important as brushing your teeth. It may not always be the most pleasant thing, but it is vital for maintaining or improving your health.

Quote:
3. What advice would you give to someone who's just reached goal?
Just keep doing the same things you did to lose the weight.

What helps me is to track fitness and exercise minutes per month. That way once the pounds and inches stop coming off, there is always a goal to reach.

Sometimes I will also do an exercise countdown for a holiday or a special event. Like there are X amount of exercise days I have to do before this event. So if there are 20 exercise days, then I number 1-20 on a scrap of paper and cross a day off when I finish a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyk View Post
I would add that "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS" !!
Personally I think that particular motto is a horrible one.

There is an abundant amount of great tasting, yet healthy, food out there. And there is nothing wrong with junk foods if you can eat them in moderation. A healthy meal plan does not mean that you forego things that taste great nor does it mean that you should deprive yourself.

To me at least, at worst, the motto reads that starving yourself or severely restricting is worth it because you'll be thin. Being thin isn't the end all be all. A person can develop an illness and become thin.

However nothing feels as good as being healthy and fit.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

1. What was your biggest surprise when you reached goal (if you have)?

I guess I could make a list for this one!
  • That I was small framed, I am also a tiny person - who knew?
  • That the reason I hated trimming my toenails was because I was heavy, it's a breeze now
  • Being freezing cold all the time, I have to keep a sweater in my car.

2. What advice would you give to someone who's just starting their weight loss journey?

Accept that it is for life. There is no starting/stopping, there is no "diet for a little while and then return to normal." Find something you like that you can do for the rest of your life.

3. What advice would you give to someone who's just reached goal?
  • Keep doing exactly what you were doing to lose weight.
  • Slowly raise calories over a period of time until you are at a level where you can maintain without gaining/losing.
  • Forgive yourself when things go offplan, but get right back onplan. Treat meals are not treat days or treat weekends or treat weeks.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote