Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Question Need help helping my friend

My dear friend Linda is having her gastric bypass surgery tomorrow morning. How are some ways I can support her and help her through her journey post-op? Any suggestions would be great. I know her dietary needs will be restricted and her recovery will be slow. What can I do to help her and keep her motivated?

Thanks for reading.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/147/135

Height: 5'7''

You sound like a great friend and it sounds like you are already doing all the right things. Just being there for her to listen I think helps tremendously! Having a support system is so important. It's going to be tough emotionally, for me it is anyway. It really helps to have good friends around to listen and understand.
She's lucky to have you!
Shrinky Dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Your a great friend

Just being there, cheering her on.... making her feel that she made the right decision is more than anyone can ask for

Good luck and best wishes to your friend
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Libby - can we all borrow you as a friend? you are such a sweetie!

first order of business with your friend: Listen, listen, listen.

when she gets 'that look' on her face and says she has to go to the bathroom, just let her go - even if you're in mid-sentence and it's awkward.

when she's visiting you, especially at the beginning, let her decide what to eat. for the first several weeks, i took my own food when i went out. of course, i pretty much just went to my sister's but still - it was much easier on all of us if i brought my own.

other than that, just cheer her on!

let us know how she's doing - maybe she could stop by here and update us!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #5  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Thumbs up Some more suggestions

My niece also had a RNY a few weeks ago. She lives in western SD where there is not a large shopping selection, so I arranged with the company I order protein from to send her $50 worth of sample proteins that she could have right after surgery. (She also doesn't use computers or have one). I also sent her a care package of a large variety of packet for flavoring water (Crystal light & generic ones--I always buy them when on sale or I see a flavor I haven't tried). I included some needed thing for food preparation--a 1 oz & 4 oz measuring dish, a few 2 oz. & 4 oz. plastic containers with lids, some baby spoons to eat with, a box of freeze ice pops that were sugar free, a couple books that I really enjoyed after I had my surgery, & a group of pictures of me at various milestones during the last year while losing my 110#.

I know the measuring cups, little plastic containers & spoons were the thing I used most the first few months, as I always took my food along with me when I went places also.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Ladies thanks for all of your suggestions. They are a huge help. Linda had her surgery and was in and out in 3 hours. She did really well and was in recovery by lunch time. She should be in the hospital for about 3 days. I'm going to go visit her tomorrow. I'm sure she has no desire to see anyone today.

Just wanted to give you all an update. Thanks again.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/147/135

Height: 5'7''

Great news! I'm glad she's doing well!
Shrinky Dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

That's fantastic! the most important thing is just to be there for her. One thing I noticed was that Everyone was so focussed on the fact that "you're going to be thin" "you're going to feel good" is a better one especially in the first 3 months when you feel like a hunk of poop A lot. Keep us posted on her progress!!
Kier
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

we're glad to hear that.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #10  

Just be there and listen. My best friend had her surgery 2 weeks ago today. She is now out and running her errands and everything she had the bypass. She is doing great and I just try to encourage her. When she came home I went to her house and helped her shower and get everthing set-up . She is on her own and doing great.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote