Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:38 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, they are all I eat these days. I steam them and eat them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Trader Joe's Red Pepper Sauce mixed in with green beans and topped with fat-free feta does it for me.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #4  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I know what you mean...I tend to get burned out on them too - even though I really do like veggies! A few things I have tried are:

1. Fat-free spray butter on steamed veggies
2. McCormick season salt (if salt isn't a problem for you) when steaming
3. Cooking them in chicken broth
4. Sauteing them with onions (this makes them taste so much better to me for some reason)
5. Making a vegetable-only soup
6. Steaming and filling a wheat pita
7. Steaming and piling on a baked potato with fat-free cheese slice
8. Steaming and sprinkling with Butter Buds
9. Roasting with chicken in the oven

I'm sure there are many folks on here who can add plenty more to this, and you may even do many, if not all, of the above. These are just things I try to do to change them up and keep boredom at bay.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I can second the suggestions to use fat-free butter spray and onions. I especially love this with yellow squash. I also like a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Wow RitzyFritz: I Love everyone of your ideas Can you come to my house and cook my Veggies for me-- I'm sure it would help! LOL!! I would love to, but I have every confidence that you will do just fine!

RitzyFritz & Nelie: How do you steam your veggies? In the microwave or stovetop or special steamer? I have a 2-piece pot where the top pot has holes in the bottom (almost like a double boiler). Put the water in the bottom pot, put the pot with holes in it (filled with veggies) on top of that, and then the lid. When the water starts boiling, the steam enters the holes and cooks the veggies to perfection. I HAVE used an apparatus that is like a stainless steel folding basket that sits in the bottom of the pot and works just like the above pot - the water in the pot, basket in next, veggies on top of the basket, lid on top. You can find these at most department stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc - or any store that sells kitchen wares) for about $5. Here is a link to the very thing I'm talking about http://www.applesource.com/steamer.html . The microwave works too! There are usually instructions on the package as to how to do this.

RitzyFritz, When you roast the veggies with the chicken--do you just put them in the bottom of the pan? I spray my pan with cooking spray, place my seasoned chicken in next, then place sliced mushrooms, onions, red/green/yellow peppers, zuchinni, squash - whatever sounds good! - on top. Lightly spray with cooking spray, cover with foil, and cook until the meat is done. It is best to take the foil off the last few minutes and let them brown a little. I have forgotten to take the foil off before, but they were still good - just a little mush-ier than I like. This also makes the meat have a great flavor! I also LOVE putting veggies on skewers and putting them on the grill!!! Just season them with what you like, skewer them, grill until desired tenderness, and then spray with FF spray butter when they are done. YUMMMMMMMYYY!! LOL!!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #7  
Starting over 3/24/2017

I'm DEFINITELY not a chef either, but I do like to try my hand at things (poor hubby and kids have been guinea pigs more times than I like to confess!). LOL! I think you will do just fine. There really is nothing hard to it at all. Once you do it a time or two, you will wonder why you haven't done it before now.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Pookie you asked about frozen veggies. I'm just wondering if you've tried fresh. You might find them much tastier and more appealing. They have a much better consistiency. They're not mushy. And they don't need much "done" to them to make them really good. You've got some great suggestions here, which would also work on fresh veggies. I know you can't beat the convenience of frozen, but fresh might be something you enjoy more. Just a thought.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pookie - I don't add anything, no salt, no seasoning although sometimes I'll add salsa when eating them. I generally buy good frozen veggies though, Costco, Trader Joe's and ones in the store that I like.

I steam veggies usually in the microwave. I have a microwave steamer but also a simple trick to steam anything in the microwave is cover it with a damp towel.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

You should try Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce. I use it to cook chicken and then toss in frozen veggies during the last 5 or 7 minutes, then serve over rice. Delicious! It takes only 30 minutes for the chicken to cook, and it's got lots of flavor.

Steps for one serving:
1/3 cup of Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce
2 cups of water
salt if desired
2 chicken drumsticks (I've used chicken breasts, or tilapia in the past, too)
Can add 1/3 teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken a little

Place these in a sauce pan on the stove on medium to medium high heat, stir occasionally to cook chicken evenly.
Allow to cook for about 25 minutes.

Add 2 cups of frozen veggies (I like a broccoli stir-fry mix)
Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

THAT'S IT!

Sauce should be reduced significantly when it's done...let it cook until you have the desired thickness and amount of sauce. I let it go until it's not watery and it's just enough for my rice.

Serve over rice!

Trader Joe's has some other sauces next to the curry simmer one, but that's the only one I've tried since I love it! I eat this practically every day.

Addendum:
I forgot to mention that if you're not using chicken on the bone, you can decrease the water because the cooking time is less. They actually say much less water than I use on the directions on the jar.

Last edited by Tara D; 02-15-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Tara D I use the masala simmer sauce.It is awesome.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I steam and stir fry my veggies some, and grill when it's warmer, but this time of year, I make soup with lots of veggies!

There are some other great ideas here!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote