Weight Loss Support - Shocking! A twinkie for a bite of vegetables??!!

Tara D
02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Ok, not sure how to even put this...Did anyone see Dr. Phil today? A grandmother brought her overweight 4-year old grandson on the show (via taped recording) because she felt that his weight was out of control. She blamed her daughter for some of it. Then we find out that the grandma is feeding the grandson twinkies all the time, and even worse, she uses them as a bribe. If the kid ate one bite of green beans, she would give him have a twinkie as a reward.

Ok, um, despite the fact that half a bite of green beans is not going to do much for the kid -- This also makes NO SENSE calorie-wise! Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in our country these days...

jcatron243
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
HMMM, I didn't see the show but did Dr Phil say anything about the bribes??

ennay
02-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok, not sure how to even put this...Did anyone see Dr. Phil today? A grandmother brought her overweight 4-year old grandson on the show (via taped recording) because she felt that his weight was out of control. She blamed her daughter for some of it. Then we find out that the grandma is feeding the grandson twinkies all the time, and even worse, she uses them as a bribe. If the kid ate one bite of green beans, she would give him have a twinkie as a reward.

Ok, um, despite the fact that half a bite of green beans is not going to do much for the kid -- This also makes NO SENSE calorie-wise! Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in our country these days...

OMG yes...and then she is berating the mom. Uhhhh yeahhhhhhh.

And then "but you've never been a grandmother" sob sob I coulda slapped her silly.

JayEll
02-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Grandma sounds like a case...

They are probably canned green beans, too. bleah.

What did Dr. Phil say?

Jay

ennay
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
you'd be amazed at the parenting out there. I know people who think sausage and hot dogs are better options for their kids because "its the only meat they eat" who look at me as if I am harming my dd because her protein choices are almond butter, hummus, dairy, whole grains and only the occasional bite of chicken (she doesnt like meat right now)

And who think I am a bad mom because if she doesnt eat her dinner I wont keep offering food after food after food until she eats.

ennay
02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh Dr Phil reamed them of course. It was cool to see the followup on that kid from 4 years ago. (He was 187 at 4 years old, now he is 8 and down to 100)

LakeGirl
02-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I saw the show and thought it was amazing. Had HUGE issues too with the obese parents, mostly the mom, crying over their obese son. Fact is, it was obvious that mom needed to take some control in that family and of herself. I know it is easier said than done, but when you hear someone worrying to death about their son, but you can look at the parents and KNOW that no one in that family is eating properly and the kid is just going to mirror mom and dad, not to mention that he has no choices about what they put in front of him. He was simply not learning any other way to eat!

Grandma annoyed me too and so did mom to an extent. Basically with the twinkle thing, grandma got all teary and said that Dr. Phil didn't know what it was like to be a grandmother and have her grandson begging for something and her not being permitted to give it to him. The good doc basically told her that she then gave the kid bad food that could be detrimental to his health in order to alleviate her guilt.

Reddalice
02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Ugh! I have a friend who does that! She had Irish twins born - 1/1/2006 & 12/28/2006. The 1 year old she gets to stop crying by feeding her pizza and cheese and whatever else her and her boyfriend stuff their face with. I was wondering if i was the only one who saw a problem with this? She herself is overweight and moans that she wished someone had taught her to eat better earlier in life. She says she will stop- but right now, pizza, cheese, and chewy candy is the only thing that will stop her babes wails.

Mami
02-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I was really annoyed at the baby's mother. If she chooses to be obese, so be it, but she has no right to do this to her son. He cant get food unless she gives it to him, so I blame this 100% on her.

ennay
02-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I was really annoyed at the baby's mother. If she chooses to be obese, so be it, but she has no right to do this to her son. He cant get food unless she gives it to him, so I blame this 100% on her.

Which one? In both cases today there were TWO people pushing junk food on the kids. The grandma and the dad were equally to blame.

Yes the mom should have stepped in, but it would be really hard if the primary care provider (in this case it was a stay at home DAD) is deliberately sabotaging your efforts.

What pissed me off is in BOTH cases the adults were using the kid and food as a way to express hostility to eachother. In the mom/grandma case it was obvious. In the husband/wife case DrPhil didnt call them on it, but come on. The wife is pushing and the husband is sneaking 7-10 cookies into the kids room? That is passive agressive behavior if I ever saw it. He is pissed at the mom (maybe because he is a SAHD?) and taking it out on the kid. He should be slapped stupid.

kaplods
02-08-2007, 07:13 AM
I think what the grandmother said was ironic - blaming mom, yet saying how hard it was not to give a kid what they begged for, yet I sympathize with the whole family. Childhood obesity isn't much simpler than adult obesity.

My parents didn't have the best nutrition sense, but by far not the worst. We almost always had two veggies at each meal, and rarely had dessert. Mom and Grandma where heavy (but thin into adulthood) and yet I was the only one of four kids to be overweight as a kid (morbidly obese by fifth grade). My brother and I were adopted, and our youngest sisters are my parents biological kids. I think biology and dieting played the biggest role in my weight, and yet I know my parents had great difficulty controlling what I ate and how active I was. I was literally obsessed with food by the age of 7, most likely because of being put on my first diet (and going off my first diet) in kindergarten. I was very cunning in finding ways to get more food, and in kidergarten even accidentally ate ant poison because it came on a sugar cube attached to paper, just like the "candy" (polio vaccine) I'd seen given to some of the kids at school.

Being adopted, I have no idea what my genetic heritage is regarding obesity, but I have my suspicions. Not saying I (and as a child my parents) didn't have any control or responsibility regarding my weight, activity level, or food intake; but it is a lot more complicated and difficult than it seems.

The most unfortunate aspect of childhood obesity, and many other problems that begin in childhood, is the reluctance of families to try to find help, until things have gotten far out of hand (and often not even then). Admitting that outside help (especially if it includes family counseling) is needed, is often the last resort instead of the first.

aphil
02-08-2007, 09:22 AM
ennay-I agree with you. :)

My son, now 5, went trhough a stage where he would not eat meat-from toddlerhood until he was about 4. It was because meat requires so much "chewing" and when you swallow it, is isn't dissolved as much as fruit, grains, etc. are. It was a texture thing.
My son ate a lot of yogurt, peanut butter, and other things to get protein instead. He could very easily be a vegetarian. :D
My kids are all thin-my daughter wears an 8 slim. They eat a LOT. It isn't genetics (because I have weight issues, and dh can gain weight if he doesn't exercise, etc.) it is because I have always given them healthier foods, and they are active.
They have kids exercise videos, they have a swingset, they walk with us outdoors-they do active things.
I went as a chaperone a couple years ago to a farmer's market with my daughter's class...and the farmer was showing all of the kids the produce. What astonished me, was how many 5 year olds knew what a basic potato and an apple were-but none of them knew what a bell pepper, a kiwi fruit, a mango, and other fruits and vegetables WERE, and had never tasted them!!!!!!! I bet, however, that they all knew what a donut and Lucky Charms were. :(

I think that parents learn SOOO much from their families about nutrition and physical activity. My inlaws think I am torturing my kids-because my son enjoys chocolate soymilk, and he eats raw blueberries like they were M&Ms. He always has.

Mami
02-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I actually saw the show from the gym and arrived toward the end of their segment, so perhaps I shouldnt be commenting.:dizzy:

lilybelle
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I saw this show and what came to me is unless the parents are willing to set a good example and eat healthy food, the kids don't have a chance. As a parent you can't eat junk in front of a kid and expect them not to want it. It also struck me about the "lock" on the kitchen cabinets. They don't need a lock if the food in there is healthy.

I can't say that I've always offered the most healthy choices in my home like I do now. But, my kids have adjusted. They eat what I do. They won't starve if they don't get twinkies, little debbies, honey buns and pizza.

aphil
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
As a parent you can't eat junk in front of a kid and expect them not to want it. It also struck me about the "lock" on the kitchen cabinets. They don't need a lock if the food in there is healthy.

Excellent point. My kids can eat whatever they want-because our fridge is filled with fruit, yogurt, and other snacks for them. A Happy Meal is a special thing for them, not like one of my neighbors, who I see carrying in a Mickey-D's sack each afternoon with her kid. If a child grows up eating fast food 4 times a week, most likely they are going to continue into adulthood with similar habits.

What children learn when they are young is what they tend to carry on through life with...and if that childhood is one bite of green beans=a twinkie....well, that is what they are learning.

almostheaven
02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
My mom gets upset with me because she buys Fruity Pebbles and Fruit Loops for my son when we're over there, and I won't let him have them. She starts in with how once in awhile isn't going to hurt. And I continue with at this young age, yes it will. And YOU don't have to take him home and tell him that he has to eat his wheat bagel, oats, eggs, whole wheat pancakes with fruit spread because you don't stock what grandma has. Gee mom, maybe it's why I was so overweight. Maybe it's why my daughter is the same. Maybe it's why you and dad have gone on one diet program after another and have started yet a new one this year...which you're back on every other day after binging at some church function or another. ::sigh:: Some people just won't/don't get it, no matter how you point it out to them. And they think you're such an ogre not allowing your kid to have "good stuff". My son gets good stuff. It's just not her idea of good.

aphil
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Yep...the kids go to my MIL's, and you know those big plastic "buckets" for ice cream? She saves them, and bakes 6 batches of cookies...a BUCKET of each kind-so the kids have Snickerdoodles, brownies, chocolate chip, no bakes, and peanut butter to choose from. Then wash it down with a Capri-Sun. :faint:

Then she will make pancakes (white flour) with syrup and bacon for breakfast...they often will go for a Happy Meal (at 8:30pm!) for dinner. That's an average day when they spend the night at MIL's house.

I don't think my kids are "deprived"...I still let them have "kid" stuff, just healthier versions of it. They are just as happy drinking 100% juice as they are with a high fructose corn syrup/food coloring Capri Sun. They can still have a PBJ, it is just on whole grain bread, with natural peanut butter, and 100% fruit spread-rather than white bread, regular Jif, and sugar laden grape jelly.

I agree with that fact that "once in a while" won't hurt...BUT...that is if once in a while IS once in a while, and not 3 times a week. My kids have plenty of sweets on their birthday, Halloween, Christmas...once in a while does not mean "every weekend". Apparently, grandmas tend to think that is what once in a while MEANS. :rofl:

lilybelle
02-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I really think most kids wouldn't notice the healthier substitutions if you give it to them. I don't tell my kids that the pancakes are whole wheat. I don't tell them that I use ground turkey now in my recipes. They haven't noticed that the butter is heart healthy and lowfat or the sour cream is low fat. They don't care the bread is whole wheat as long as it's soft. They don't ask for whole milk and don't even notice we use skim milk now. They eat the light popcorn without complaints. If they do have ice cream, it's low fat . They love fresh veggies and they never noticed the veggie dip is now low-fat. A lot of the substitutions I make, no one cares. They just eat when they are hungry. Always having fruit available, they eat it. If all I had available was junk, that is what they'd eat. Parents need to fess up and realize that obese children is most often the result of what they are taught at home. End of story.

BTW, my SD who is a little overweight herself, just irked me to no end a little while ago. Her 2 1/2 yr. old son was asking for some cereal (raisin bran with skim milk) and she said "no, let's get in the car and I'll go get you a happy meal at McDonald's." GGGrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I told her I'd make him a bowl of cereal and she said "no, I don't want to wait on him to eat it, we'll eat in the car."

cbmare
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
BTW, my SD who is a little overweight herself, just irked me to no end a little while ago. Her 2 1/2 yr. old son was asking for some cereal (raisin bran with skim milk) and she said "no, let's get in the car and I'll go get you a happy meal at McDonald's." GGGrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I told her I'd make him a bowl of cereal and she said "no, I don't want to wait on him to eat it, we'll eat in the car."

WHAT?! Why on earth did she do that? She had to have her Mickey D's fix so the kid has to be subjected to that as well?

lilybelle
02-08-2007, 04:37 PM
cb, that was my guess too. She wanted McDonald's. He would have been perfectly happy with the cereal. He even brought me the box, asking for it and cried when she said he couldn't have it. He eats it here all the time and loves it. But, she'd rather feed him junk food and waste her money.

cbmare
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
cb, that was my guess too. She wanted McDonald's. He would have been perfectly happy with the cereal. He even brought me the box, asking for it and cried when she said he couldn't have it. He eats it here all the time and loves it. But, she'd rather feed him junk food and waste her money.

This is the nurse? Oh my.

Goodbye Chubby
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
ennay-I agree with you. :)
I went as a chaperone a couple years ago to a farmer's market with my daughter's class...and the farmer was showing all of the kids the produce. What astonished me, was how many 5 year olds knew what a basic potato and an apple were-but none of them knew what a bell pepper, a kiwi fruit, a mango, and other fruits and vegetables WERE, and had never tasted them!!!!!!! I bet, however, that they all knew what a donut and Lucky Charms were. :(

I think that parents learn SOOO much from their families about nutrition and physical activity.

That's so true. A friend of mine back in college told me about baby-sitting a young cousin (I think she was at least 6 at the time) who wanted a snack, so she gave her a cut-up apple. The child munched away and said, "I've never had this before." Granted, I never tried a kiwi (or any other "exotic" fruit) until after I got to college, but I always thought cut-up apples were a standard snack for any child.

lilybelle, the story about the mother not wanting to wait for her son to eat cereal just makes me sad. She could at least have put dry cereal in a baggie for him to take in the car.

ennay
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
omg...lilly - see that sounds like my friend who thinks ANY meat (or meat by-product) is better than anything else for a child.

portion control is another thing too. that dad was all "it doesnt seem fair that a 7 yr old has to be on such a restrictive diet" well uh..maybe if you gave him ONE oreo instead of TEN

We have some junk-food in our home and dd gets some occasionally. A cookie. A dove promise. A Hershey nugget. 10 M&M's. If we have ice cream, and we do sometimes, she gets a small scoop - probably about 2 oz.

ennay
02-08-2007, 05:02 PM
That's so true. A friend of mine back in college told me about baby-sitting a young cousin (I think she was at least 6 at the time) who wanted a snack, so she gave her a cut-up apple. The child munched away and said, "I've never had this before." Granted, I never tried a kiwi (or any other "exotic" fruit) until after I got to college, but I always thought cut-up apples were a standard snack for any child.

Yeah, we watched a child overnight in an emergency situation. Breakfast time was **** - cereal without sugar? nope (I even was willing to cave on this kid -reform wasnt my job at the moment-and add sugar but they had already tasted it without and wouldnt try it again) my dd's favorite bread (brown with seeds)- no way - yogurt sweetened with sugar (wasnt gonna even try plain) but not filled with bright pink food coloring - nope. Fruit? nope There was nothing in our house she was willing to eat.

I gave up and just took her to her daycare and advised them she might be extra grumpy

lilybelle
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
cb, this isn't the step-daughter that is a nurse. This one basically does pretty much everything wrong IMHO. The one that is an RN now is expecting her first baby in June. From what I have seen, she'll be a great parent.

ennay, I know what you mean. This SD thinks those chicken nuggets and fries and coke are better than a bowl of healthy cereal. Her car looks like a graveyard for McDonalds, KFC and Taco Bell sacks. yuck!

I've also babysitted kids before that wouldn't eat anything in my house. It is because they never had it before.

LLV
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Excellent point. My kids can eat whatever they want-because our fridge is filled with fruit, yogurt, and other snacks for them. A Happy Meal is a special thing for them

Same here. My son (7) gets them as a rare treat only. But what's really funny is he doesn't want McDonald's kid's meals anymore because they're made with the "bad fat", lol. I think I've warped him.

I didn't see the show everyone is talking about, but I agree with most of the points. These kids don't have a chance if the parents keep giving them junk.

nikkimac76
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow. That's too bad, lily.

In my group of girlfriends, only two of us have children (although I just found out last night that a third has a bun in the oven!).

I have a hard time relating to some of the choices that they make for their little boy, who is almost 3 years old. A few months ago, we went to their house to go out for dinner, and their son was just waking up from a nap. He was upset, so his father gave him a Hershey's chocolate candy bar. A regular-size candy bar, no less.

Then, we were at their house for dinner a couple of weeks ago, and for some reason he now receives a handful of Sour Patch Kids when his diaper is changed. Then, he had a soda and hot dog smothered in ketchup for dinner, plus a few cookies. We were there for Super Bowl Sunday, and he was drinking a soda in his sippie cup and had a bowl of chocolate pudding for dinner.

When you combine those eating habits with the fact that he watches TV 24/7, you have a recipe for disaster. He's a very slim kid now, but no way is he healthy. Both parents complain that he runs around the house constantly, sometimes until midnight. Hello, sugar high!

Did I mention that his mom has a bachelor's degree in early childhood special education? Could she really not know how irresponsible she is being? It floors me. I have known this girl since we were born, and we grew up as best friends and next-door neighbors.

I just don't get it. I feel bad for her little boy, and bad for her too for not doing the right thing. It's not like I feel superior or anything, but I'm almost glad for the constant reminders of the wrong things to do, and their consequences.

Mami
02-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Nikki, that diet sounds almost abusive. I am just amazed that they feed a 3 year old such things as SODA IN THE SIPPY CUP??!!! Gross. Have you tried talking to them about this at all? No offense, but your friend sounds really truly ignorant.

ennay
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
oh Mami you have no idea. I knew a girl who's parents gave her 2 cans of Dr Pepper a day. In her bottle, because she was 8 MONTHS OLD.

And the parents of the kid who wouldnt eat in our house were excited when pop started coming in those little cans that were the "perfect size" for their 19 month old

almostheaven
02-08-2007, 07:31 PM
My 16 mo. old LOVES apple. Course, he also loves banana, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, pears, peaches....

I have to hold back on oranges. The acid does a number on him. :(

Justme33
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Same here. My son (7) gets them as a rare treat only. But what's really funny is he doesn't want McDonald's kid's meals anymore because they're made with the "bad fat", lol. I think I've warped him.

I didn't see the show everyone is talking about, but I agree with most of the points. These kids don't have a chance if the parents keep giving them junk.

I've given up even taking the kids to McD's even as a treat every once in awhile...ALL THEY WANTED WAS THE TOY!!! I wind up tossing out 99% of the food...I dont even bother anymore...I've never eaten it for probably the past 10+ yrs so I dont think the kids will miss it. The food actually stinks pretty bad!!
Luckily my kid are very good about food...correction, my oldest is VERY good..My youngest is working on it....he only likes few very things...but at least they are the RIGHT kind of things....apples, carrots, broccoli, bananas, watermelon, red peppers.....

ennay
02-08-2007, 08:31 PM
You know what gets me about happy meals...

they are too much food for ME. When we were road tripping this summer we did have a fair number of fast food stops. I gave dd an age appropriate portion of fries from her happy meal, then I would keep the rest and just order a sandwich for me and it was STILL too many fries.

And I was pregnant! How many fries must that have been for a preggo to think "that is just too many".

LLV
02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I've given up even taking the kids to McD's even as a treat every once in awhile...ALL THEY WANTED WAS THE TOY!!!

Well I can't argue that McD's definitely has the better toys, lol!

ennay
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah..dd still plays with the dancing princess she got in one. And she loved the little build-a-bears they were doing when we were road-tripping.

RebaR
02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I work in an elementary school and it breaks my heart to see some of the kids and know personally what they face as they gain more weight... We so need to educate our kids and parents on healthy eating and exercise. Reading your posts encourages me because it shows me that some of us do care what our kids are putting in their mouths.

I don't know about in your area, but here the schools are not allowed to serve high fat, sugar filled foods at lunch. In fact, even the snacks that the kids are allowed to bring to school are limited... is this needed? yes. Now, are the lunches perfectly nutrious? No... we still have pizza... and such... but the schools do not have fryers...so fries and such are baked... there is always a fruit and salad available, the main entree and then a side. Sandwiches are on white wheat bread. Occasionally, they get single servings (1/2 cup) of lowfat ice cream or sherbert- that is maybe once a month.... a menu from the other day was salad, pineapple, baked corndogs, chili, 1/2 baked potato (plain) and brocoli. Perfect nutrition? no... but the kids are offered new things... a couple of weeks, they had kiwi. Some tried it and like it, others did tried it and didn't like it... some didn't try it... they are kids! the milk is all lowfat or no fat, and oj.

Is there a vending machine? yes, it's in a storage room only for teachers and staff to get to.

We are limited to what we can do for class parties... I think part of the education is to teach kids that to have that treat once in a while and to learn portions is important too... if we forbid a food, then they will want it that much more... I know that is true of me... if I forbid chocolate, rather than a piece of chocolate, I will go buy a huge bag and eat it all.

do we need to do more? yes... but it's a start

I work in 1st grade and we have a child that is probably 40 inches tall and
175+ pounds? she's as big around as tall. She tells us she watches tv in bed with her mom eating ice cream and candy. This child, 6 or 7 years old, has diabeties, high blood pressure and other meds. When her teacher asked her dad about special diet etc, he said he gives her what she wants- parents have separated this year. It breaks my heart to watch this child. It's not what she eats at school...it's outside of school. Yes, we need to educate the children, but the parents need the education as much if not more. They are the ones that buy the groceries at home....

off my soap box now...

Reba

zoritsa
02-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I've also babysitted kids before that wouldn't eat anything in my house. It is because they never had it before. I've had some kids snub their noses at what I serve too,but tough luck to them...thats all I served,lol.Most of the time though as soon as they'd see my son eat it,they'd try it and like it.

It floors me what some people feed their kids at such a young age though.My husband and I agreed that even though we were overweight,we would do our best to make wise choices for us all when we had kids.No candy before a certain age,no fast food and pop until a certain age...and even then,only on occasion.My kids love fruit and fresh veggies,more so then any of the junk food.I loved it when my youngest turned down some cake for a yogurt instead at his Grandma's house :D

Nikaia
02-08-2007, 10:56 PM
've had some kids snub their noses at what I serve too,but tough luck to them...thats all I served,lol.

My mom would like you. I wan't say that I grew up with "perfect" nutrition - the only veggies I knew until I was living on my own were corn, peas, and sometimes broccoli - but there was no catering to my or my brother's whining for junk food. If we didn't want to eat the meal she'd made - we'd just do without, and damn breakfast was good the next day! ;)

ennay
02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
oooh my dd had 2 bites of lettuce tonight (that was her entire dinner) guess I owe her a twinkie :p

Tara D
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Speaking of Twinkies, even as a child, I never understood the appeal. I was kind of grossed out when other kids brought them to school. Baked goods filled with cream that can be kept in a plastic bag on the shelf for a year just kind of freaked me out. However, I've never eaten a Twinkie or Ho-Ho, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

Nikaia
02-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Twinkies aren't that great, but I do enjoy the occasional Hoho.

ennay
02-09-2007, 01:54 AM
yeah, I think they are gross, hohos and dingdongs too.

Now one of those "fruit pie" things...that was my treat as a kid

lilybelle
02-10-2007, 02:54 AM
twinkies really are gross. I saw a show on them once and the filling is made of pure Lard and sugar. Now, that is just plain nasty.

Nikaia
02-10-2007, 04:49 AM
I've started to get grossed out by Poptarts lately. Loved them as a kid - ****, all the way up until recently. Today had been a crappy day for me, and I was at the convenience store on-campus debating what to buy myself for lunch, and I thought about letting myself use food to salve my train-wreck emotional state for the first time in awhile, and I saw the poptarts and was going to get them, but...some part of me went, ew, you're not gonna eat THOSE, are you? That's so gross. They're nothing but pure sugar, artificial sweetener, and white flour. So I didn't buy them...

...although the donuts are still a threat from time to time. ;)