Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Angry Today's Oprah show

I just watched part of today's show, on which organizational expert Peter Walsh claimed that he believes 2/3 of the American population live in unbelievably cluttered ways (like seriously cluttered). When Oprah asked where he got that number from, he linked it to 2/3 of the American population being obese - and (now I am paraphrasing, but essentially..) that your living conditions reflect on you, how you feel, how you organize yourself, your life, the space around you, how you take care of your space and how you take care of yourself... essentially linked that.

Which immediately reminded me of the whole "fat slobs" stereotype . Now I am a VERY organized, neat and clean oriented person. Especially given my age group, in which let's face it - most people aren't. Anyways... so I strongly disagree with him, at least personally. I just hate that people may be drawing those conclusions - that fat people are slobs, and slobs may be X, Y, and Z. Like lazy, unmotivated, etc. At one point he used the words "organized, efficient, and lean" as a series.

This was my interpretation at least, did anyone see the show? If so, what did you think? And what do you all think about the obesity - massive clutter/disorganized ("slob"? too .. sorry can't think of a better term)? Do you agree, disagree, think maybe?
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I totally disagree and think that guy should be roasted!

I'm exactly opposite of that - overly organized. My home is sparse and clean. My sister, on the other hand, is not overweight. Her appearance is meticulous (nails, hair, clothing choices, etc), but she is a *complete* slob. Like, abnormally messy.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

& what does this say about Oprah? She was terribly over weight in the past but was organized and driven.

Did she take any exception to that?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I did a brief internet search on Peter Walsh. It appears that he thinks of obesity and clutter to be very similar to each other. He makes the parallel that they are both diseases of affluence, and I'd have to agree: “It is no accident that people have a huge weight problem in this country, and clutter is the same thing. Homes are an orgy of consumption.” (Peter Walsh, 7A) (from http://rhetorica.net/MT/archives/004611.html).

Maybe he didn't communicate his message very clearly on the show.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Maybe it was the way I understood it, I don't know. It was just the likening between the two of them to me.. ugh.

He did have some good tips.. professionally speaking he seems great at what he does. Just those last few comments that I did not agree with or endorse.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I saw part of the show. I don't think he meant it like you took it. I think he meant it as you have one or the other. Not that they go hand in hand. Like the things that cause you to be highly unorganized and gather clutter could just as easily have caused you to be obese. That they stem from the same thing. He didn't mean that obese people also suffer from the clutter issue.

I for one am a neat freak and highly organized. I think it's because I was so obese. I needed to have control in one area of my life. Oh yeah, and I'm a control freak too.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

What he said did make me a little uncomfortable at first, but then I think perhaps the best way to think about it is that both conditions often have an emotional basis. When skills with dealing with difficult emotions are on track, the risks of having disorganization and overeating are probably less overall. Of course, this is not the situation for everyone.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
This was my interpretation at least, did anyone see the show? If so, what did you think? And what do you all think about the obesity - massive clutter/disorganized ("slob"? too .. sorry can't think of a better term)? Do you agree, disagree, think maybe?
No, I don't agree with that. I sometimes let piles grow because I have perfectionistic tendencies. I get overwhelmed by trying to keep everything so organized and perfect, that I will let my closet go, or my car, or my purse. I get overwhelmed with knowing what to do with junkmail and newspapers. I get four newspapers a week delivered to my house when I only want one, Sunday, but my newspaper won't deliver just Sunday. I want to recycle the newspapers, but then don't find the time to bring them to a recycle bin, so they pile up in my garage.

I think there's a difference between being messy or disorganized and being dirty. I would agree that being organized feels much more relaxing.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote