Alternachicks - Alternachick chat February/March 2007

mauvaisroux
02-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Good afternoon all! Beautiful day here today with a reasonable temperature and sunny skies. :sunny: The annual winter festival has started here and the downtown area is full of festival goers and skaters on the canal and lake.:coolsnow:

I'm having a 3 day weekend to rest up for starting my new job on Monday and tomorrow will be DH's annual Superbowl party. :)

What is everyone else up to this weekend?

Spideranne
02-03-2007, 06:00 PM
We're having a Superbowl party too. DH is origianlly from Indianapolis, so it's a big deal. I'm making Rachel Ray's turkey chili recipie which is really good and no one ever knows it's turkey unless you tell them.

Now I just have to keep cleaning the house.

Spideranne
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Mauv, how did the first day on the new job go?

paganfroglady
02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to say hi, I'm still here (somewhere!) Going to Dallas this weekend to look at apts, wanting to move ASAP! Just very hectic and stressful. Haven't been eating right, lots of junk, I haven't gained anything but I haven't lost either! I'll try to touch base when I can, let you know how the apartment hunting went!

sillymonkey
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, my first week on WW went well - I was only hungry on the first day, and otherwise it's been pretty easy. Today though - sheesh!! I've been craving muffins and cookies and just solid junk food all day long. I did cave and had half a big oatmeal cookie (which was within my calorie range), but I'm starting to think I'm going through junk food withdrawl! Yet another reason to avoid junkfood - it's addictive.

The one thing I want to do with this diet though is eat real food. I'm tired of eating tv dinners and freaky prepared foods just because they're lower calorie. Which of course means, I have to actually cook (ick). But, I have to admit, I made a nice meal for myself tonight, and enjoyed the process. I'm happy about that.

Weigh in is tomorrow - I think I've lost a little. Wish me luck!

Spideranne
02-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Paganfroglady - Welcome to Dallas. Where are you looking for apartments? I'm up in the Lewisville area. Just be warned traffic is always horrible.

mauvaisroux
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
:cheer: YAY COLTS!!!!!! :cheer:

So glad they won! They are mine and DH's adopted CFL team. We work at a couple of conventions in Indiannapolis and since our town doesn't have a team we picked the Colts as our team. DH got to go to a home game there last year and a few years before that we got a tour of the convention centre and stadium and got to stand on the football field. I didn't realize how spongy the field is - it was really weird!

Spideranne -New job is going well so far. First two days were a bit slow and not everything was in place for my arrival but everyone seems very nice. I get more work tomorrow so that will be good. I'm sure I'll be swamped in a few weeks and longing for the good old days when I was bored :lol:

Paganfroglady - nice to see you back, good luck with the move! :)

Sillymonkey- how did your way in go? One of the things I found with WW is that I started preparing meals more, simple yet WW friendly, and I ended up rediscovering my love of cooking. A couple of good WW cookbooks are the 15 Minutes one, Take 5 and Dining for 2. I have found them to have some good and relatively easy recipes that my hubby and I both enjoyed. I also found some good ones in the WW website free newsletters and the points are provided for you - makes life a lot easier. :chef:

sillymonkey
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Weigh in went pretty well actually - 4.5 pounds down (though it's the first week, so it's a bit higher than normal). But today was terrible - work was busy, WW meeting was hectic, 1st french class of the season (J'aime mon nouveau professeur ! Il est tres intelligent et gentil !), and I had my front-of-house shift at my local theatre company. Too Busy!! I didn't track a single point all day (though I will before bed), but I think I'm way way under. I just didn't have time to eat properly, and I'd be surprised if I end up making my lunch for tomorrow. Sigh - life just gets in the way sometimes.

This week, I want to track my points more closely. I think I may have been eye-balling things a bit more than I should have been.

Thanks for the cookbook suggestions Mauvaisroux. I'm not much of a cookbook cook, but I do like using them for inspiration - I'll try to check out what's available next meeting.

mauvaisroux
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Way to go! :bravo:

Are you taking a government French Course?

sillymonkey
02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks!

Yes, it's a government French course, 3 hours per week, which means the acquisition is slllllloooow! Still, I'm a lot better at French now than I was this time last year, so I guess it's sinking in.

WW weigh in was today - I thought I'd gained weight, but I actually lost 2.5 pounds (of course, I also purposely didn't wear a sweater today - freezing was worth it ;) ). Last week wasn't such a great week - had a fight with the bf (nothing major, but the stress lasted for days), stress at work, novelty of the new regime wearing off a bit. I found I stayed within my points, but my food choices weren't very good (few veggies, little dairy, etc. etc.). So, I'm happy that I had a loss this week, but I feel like this is a grace week, and I'm really just getting a second chance to get my butt back in gear. I'm trying to stay very very goal oriented so I'll keep my motivation up. Apparently I don't like losing weight for it's own sake, but if it means I can't buy that CD I want, well fine! I guess I'll lose it! :)

I hope everyone else is doing well. Hope your new job is going great Mauvaisroux.

squeaker
02-14-2007, 06:27 PM
:val1: Happy Valentine's Day chicks!:val3:

I am around, just my head has been some place else most days. Things with the BF are wonderful. I am really happy about that. Everything else is...blah. My weight is rather bad, dieting is happening in spurts, exercise is happening in spurts, work is not as thrilling as I had hoped, and I miss my family and my old job. I do get to talk to my old co-workers and my family quite a bit so that helps a lot.

Congrats on the loss Sillymonkey! :cb:

How is the job Mauvais?

sillymonkey
02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Squeaker (funny, that's my rabbit's nickname!). Happy Vday to you too!! :)

mauvaisroux
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
New job is going great, how is yours Squeaker? :)

Good luck with your French course sillymonkey. :crossed:

Just a fly by as I am wiped out and need to get some sleep. I have to get up early tomorrow to go to my drum lesson.

Spideranne
02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Is anyone else just crazy busy?? I don't know what it is about this time of the year but I am always swamped at work and buried under in chores at home. Next week I have 2 trips planned. From Sun-Wed I'm in Orlando, Fl for a convention at the Disney convention center, by myself. I'm thinking of getting a ticket for Sun. anyways and doing Disney solo because I'm getting in early enough, the rest of the time I'm in meetings all day. It just doesn't seem fair that I'll be at Disney for 4 days and its for business. Then I fly from FL to OH for the Arnold Classic. DH is competing in the weightlifting sessions and my sister lives up there so we get to visit. So now I have to figure out how to pack for 8 days, Florida weather with business attire and OH weather with casual wear. AHHH!

mauvaisroux
02-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I've been crazy busy too! :crazy:

Cool - 2 trips! Good luck to your DH for the wieghtlifting sessions! :lucky:

I know what you mean about packing - I had the same issue in November when we went to California but I have to wear a uniform at the conventions. The hard part was packing for hot days and very cool nights. I felt like it was high summer during the day but fall weather at night. then of course you had to wear winter clothes leaving Canada and returning. ACK!

And I guess you need to bring twice the clothes if you need business and casual wear. :faint:

sillymonkey
02-21-2007, 06:36 PM
I hear ya - next week, I'm in Vancouver one day, Calgary the next, and I think I can't actually make it back in time to go to my friend's wedding reception (sigh). The trip is so fast that I don't even get to do much, though I'm hoping I can have dinner with my friend in Vancouver the night before my meeting.

Times like this I really hate travelling. I'm just really starting to establish my weight loss routine (though I gained 1.5 pounds last week - sigh), and am thinking about more, but I always find travelling throws everything out of whack - always busy, always eating on the run, etc. This time, I'm going to try to do better. My last trip, the hotel actually had free yoga and exercise videos on the tv, and I'll try to get in some swimming in the hotel pool. Though I'm still terrible at portion controlling in restaurants - perhaps I'll do the trip vegetarian so I can at least try to keep the calories down.

March is going to be a long month.

sillymonkey
02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Just a little self-w00t:

I'm going to a chocolate potluck this weekend - something I've been looking forward to for a year. Of course, this could also be a killer to my program. But I've been SOOOO on program this week! WW gives you 35 extra points per week that you should spread out over the week - well, I've got 32.5 of them left!! Which means I get to enjoy the chocolate party without too much worry (so long as I keep the portions reasonable). Though, last time I had a piece of cake on my diet, I felt really ill from all the sugar. Still, it's going to be fun :)

I'm making chocolate marzipan brownies for it...yummmmmmmm!

Hope everyone's having a fab weekend!

squeaker
02-24-2007, 10:11 AM
That sounds like great fun Sillymonkey. Enjoy!

sillymonkey
02-25-2007, 09:38 AM
The chocolate party was fun, but there were only about 10 people there (I was expecting 20-30, which is the number they've had in years past). Of course, this means there was less food than I expected too. I ate small portions of what I wanted, none of what I didn't, enjoyed everything, and I'm pretty sure I didn't use up more than 15-20 points. Marvellous!

The marzipan brownies turned out gooey-er than I would have hoped, but the entire pan got eaten what with people taking some home, etc., so I was pleased (I'm not a fab cook/baker, so I'm doubly happy when people enjoy my food). I'll have to make them again for the girls at work - I still have chocolate left over, and I'd like to get rid of it before it tempts me too much.

I actually think I've lost several pounds this week. My (fairly inaccurate) home scale shows nearly a 5 pound loss! Can't wait to see what shows up on the WW scale on Tuesday :)

mauvaisroux
02-25-2007, 08:07 PM
MMMMMM! That sounds like my kind of party! Glad you had fun and that your brownies got cleaned out. :)

I spent today working at a bazaar so I feel quite tired this evening. Lucky for me that my wonderful DH cooked a roast chicken diner with potatoes and veggies so I had a nice meal to come home to.

sillymonkey
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
So, my worries about travelling hurting my diet were for naught. I caught my flight to Vancouver from Ottawa, but when I got to my layover in Calgary I found out my meeting was cancelled and I had to come back home. 10 hours of flying and I never even left an airport. Arrrrgh!! But, not only did I hardly get to eat (since they don't really feed you on airplanes anymore), my routine didn't really change, so the diet is safe. So at least there was one good thing about it - sigh.

Now I know what an international flight feels like :)

lizziness
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi all..looks like almost everyone has been too busy to check in and post! Everything at my work has been falling apart, hubby took my lappy so I have a lot less computer time now,and honestly even if I did have the time my energy is low.

I did start working out again after a lot of months of not doing it. It feels good to be back at it again. Was happily surprised to see that the 20 lbs I lost when I was gung-ho are still off. Guess keeping with smarter choices for my diet is theway to go.

Hope everyone else is doing okay...

squeaker
03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I am around. Quiet, but around. I have been busy too, plus when I am at home I have had no interest in the computer lately. I have been reading a lot more. I also have been trying to get into working out - I recently bought a WATP DVD that also came with hand weights, the stretchie thing and the belt. It is a 3 mile or 5 mile walk, and you can pick with "extra" you want to use. I also have been doing good at eating more fruits & veggies. I am also trying to get the apartment more organized. So far it is slow, but getting there.

I have a few busy weekends coming up too. A Hockey game Friday. A new table being delivered Saturday, Las Vegas the following weekend, and 2 concerts the weekend after. I am really looking forward to Vegas, since I got us tickets to Spamalot. :D That should be fun! Also I can't wait to see The Hip 2 nights in a row in a few weeks. They are one of my favorite bands and I don't expect to get to see them very often here. They play a lot more back at home. :p

How everyone is doing well! :goodvibes

mauvaisroux
03-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been doing drive by posts lately as I can't access from work anymore at lunch time.

I've been busy with work, drumming, dancing, yoga, WW, seeing friends, trying to get my house straightened out before we paint. Then when I am around I don't have the energy to get on-line! :lol:

Anyways, I resolved that I would get back into posting on a daily basis so here I am.

Sillymonkey, that sucks about your trip - what a waste of time. :p

lizziness- way to go on keeping that 20lbs off! :cp:

Squeaker - you sound like you have a lot of fun stuff going on -good for you! :D

mauvaisroux
03-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Had a good day at work today and went out to lunch with a co-worker which was really nice. :)

I'm going on a girl's day out on Saturday with my mum which should be fun. We are going to a convention type of thing for a few hours, then lunch and shopping. :cb:

Then DH and I are having some friends over for supper and a movie.

Almost TGIF!!!!! :D

Spideranne
03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone, I'm back. I had a great time last week at Disney (on business) and at the Arnold (for fun), despite having my luggage in "lost land" for a day. This week has just been crazy with all the catch up.

Well I got a chance to visit Magic Kingdom while I was at my convention. I wasn't sure it would be any fun on my own, but it completely was. I went on everything I wanted to, nothing I didn't, and never had to coordinate with anyone. Surprisingly enough I was able to get a hummus sandwich with fruit for dinner. I didn't think I'd be able to find many healthy options but there were more then I thought. It's a good thing too, because the rest of the trip I didn't always eat the way I should. (Dessert buffets are evil!!!)

DH got a new personal best in his weightlifting at the Arnold and we also got to see a couple of American records being broken so that was neat. There was also a ton of other sports being showcased so we got to watch gymnastics, table tennis, speed skating, wrestling, ballroom dancing, and some martial arts.

Sounds like everyone has been keeping busy.

squeaker
03-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Mauvais - I hope you had fun with your Girl's day.

Spideranne - I am glad you had fun at the Magic Kingdom, and Congrats to you DH on the personal best! :cp:

Things here are going well. I forgot to bring my book with me to work on Friday, so instead of reading at lunch I decided to run to the store. Everytime we got to the store the boy looks for a Wii. He does this often enough I would even look when he wasn't with me. Well, I just happened to have good timing and they had a few! So now we have a Wii. He was pretty excited. :) We got a few games, and are enjoying it. I really like the bowling game, and tennis. He also picked up Guitar Hero for the PS2 for me (my late Valentine's day present). We had Guitar Hero II, but I wanted the original too.

Friday night was a hockey game. It was fun. It was hockey, which I miss out here. It may not have been my Sabres, but the Ducks are fun to watch. And have an old Sabres player. ;)

Saturday our new dining room table came. I love it. It looks really nice in the small space we have.

Sunday we headed to a Pow Wow for a while. I love to watch the dancing. Then we headed to the mall for more Wii games, and a new table cloth.

We are busy. Not always exciting, but busy. Now I am just trying to get organized for the Vegas trip this weekend. :D

mauvaisroux
03-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Spideranne- congratulations to you hubby! :bravo: sounds like you had a fun trip. :)

We had a great time at the convention, got lots of free goodies and I bought some fancy nail care items and a new handbag (as if I needed one! :lol: )

Squeaker - yay, you finally got your Wii! :cb: l

We went to see 300 on Saturday night. It was very nice visually but I didn't really get into it. I think I was feeling too tired as I had been out all day, then entertained guests and ended up at the 12:00 pm. showing.

mauvaisroux
03-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Well I had a total crash weekend. It started out on Friday by me falling asleep on the couch at 6:30 p.m. Woke up felt awful and then went back to sleep. That's pretty much the whole weekend written off - then again it did make me relax. :)

Feeling better today so I watched t.v. and cleaned out some boxes of paper I was supposed to be destroying or filing.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. :)

lizziness
03-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Hey all, been a while. Saturday it was almost 70 degrees outside. Without too much begging or prompting, hubby went with me for a nice long walk in a park by the Willamette river. It was lovely, all sorts of people were out there were even some kids playing in the river with the ducks and geese. It was a big deal for me because in the past my hubby has refused to go anywhere outside with me EVER! It was nice.

work has been stressful, as per usual. been feeling a little bit depressed lately.. but that seems to just be me. I go in cycles of feeling okay, and then feeling less than okay. *LOL* I'm just trying to stave it off the best I can... hopefully with more daylight and soon more sun I'll start feeling better.

Hope everyone else is doing okay.

sillymonkey
03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Lizziness - I hear you on the daylight - I can't wait until we get more and my emotional 'funks' become fewer. My diet has totally suffered this past week. I'm PMSing, and I just find it makes me have absolutely no will power what so ever. However, it does make me come out of it more motivated to actually have will power (if that makes sense), so hopefully it'll be for the best. I was down 10 pounds last week, but I think I'm going to forego this week's weigh in so I can get it back on track. I also want to sign up for some yoga lessons offered through the city recreation program, so that should be cool. Still haven't started exercising in earnest yet, but I can feel it tickling in my bones :).

Has anyone ever seen a yoga swing (it's what Rosie was demoing on 'The View' a few weeks ago). I saw it, and I WANT one!! It reminds me of playing on the swings as a kid! I'd totally have fun with that (and some exercise too). Now just to convince the bf to let me drill a hole in one of his house's exposed beams so I can hang it from his ceiling :)

It's currently -15 or so (celsius), but it's supposed to be up to +15 later in the week. I'm VERY excited!

squeaker
03-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Mauvais - I hope you are feeling better. Sometimes a weekend of sleep is a good thing.

Lizziness - I so get the whole cycle thing. I find that happening often. It should at least get better soon! :)

Sillymonkey - sending some sun & warmth your way! :sunny: And good luck convincing your bf.

I am here. I just got back from 3 days in Las Vegas, which were fun. We got to see Spamalot, which was great! (Well, at least if you like Monty Python it is) I loved it. Mostly we just wandered around the whole weekend, which is great but my feet hurt by the end of it. It was a good time though. Now I am just waiting for Friday (then Saturday) to roll around so I can see my favorite bunch of Canadian musicians. :)

mauvaisroux
03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks Squeaker! :)

Glad you had a good trip to Vegas. :D

sillymonkey
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Lol - I caved and weighed-in today. And I didn't actually gain. Considering this past week included no tracking, a bunch of large meat portions, some very greasy pizza and even a poutine (fries, gravy and cheese), I consider myself blessed. So, this is the week to be totally back on track after my one week grace period. But yikes - no gaining? That's incredible!!

mauvaisroux
03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Ugh- been sick all weekend and living off soup and toast. :p

DH just got back from L.A. today - boy did I miss him! The house was too quiet without him.

Wanttolosealot
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone!
First of all I apologize for not being here for months, secondly can I come back? Please,please,Please??? Hope everyone is doing well! Look forward to chatting with old friends and meeting new ones.
Hugs to all
Virginia

squeaker
03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
:welcome3: Welcome back Virginia!

I hope you are feeling better Mauvais!

mauvaisroux
03-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Virginia! :wave:

I'm still sick - this is ridiculous! :p But am am better than I was.

Haven't been on much as I just haven't had the energy to post. I've been going to work and then coming home and crashing.