PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #1  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Default My Dr appt today!

Alright girls -- here it is. Almost 2 years ago I was thought to have PCOS -- nothing done about it.

So I got refered to a different doctor and she done a good bit of blood work and even sent me for an ultrasound. I thought this was great!

Well I went back today to get the results from everything and well here is how all of that went --

ALL of my lab work was fine. How in the heck is that even right? Everything was PERFECT!

Well then she had to go and view my ultrasound and guess what it showed -- NOTHING. No cysts yet. Everything looked great.

So I guess your wondering why I am pissed and cried all day. My blood pressure had been high and my fasting blood sugar was 177. So now after I'm only 18 and never have I taken regular meds -- I'm on two. And I have to check my blood sugar fasting everyday and record it for three weeks and then return to see her. I'm soo confused. At least I was semi prepared. At first she was going to only give me the spiro and let me take that for 2 weeks and see if things changed and then she glanced back at my D-stick from last visit. She asked if it was fasting or not and I was like um yeah -- why? She was like oh well it's kinda high there. Have you ate today? I was like uuum no I have a lunch date with my mom after this. So she had them recheck it and it was 177. She was gonna give me provera to take for 5 days and then she was like oh well if you take the Spiro and Met for a little bit it's gonna give you AF.

So now here is the end -- Im' 18 (almost 19) I have fluid on my ankles, HTN, and high insulin levels. I asked her about another thing my other dr had dx me with. Hyperinsulinism. She said that it's what you experience before you have an issue with hyperglycemia. She told me ( and was being really nice about it) that dropping a few pounds would help. I'm working on that. Really working hard.

Girls -- I read here all the time at everything and have learned so much and now *I* feel soo stupid and so lost. What is the deal? Why me? I honestly sat in my car and cried for like 20 minutes before I could meet SO and mom for lunch. I feel like somewhere in the past I have done something and this is the cause of it and it's all my fault. I appologized to Amanda for all of this as I feel like a faliure. Does anyone have any answers?

If you've made it this far -- thanks for reading!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Erika, I'm not sure I understand (sorry) - does this mean you do NOT have PCOS? And does this mean you are diabetic? And why do you feel like a failure? You are young and you care enough to go to a doctor and get this worked out, so right there are two things on your side. There isn't any reason in the world you can't beat this. Fill me in, chick!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #3  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

I'm sorry that you had a bad doctors visit and that you sugar is high. Hopefully between diet, the meds, and exercise you can get that under control quickly.

About not having cysts...it is possible to have pcos and not have the string of pearl cysts. You may just develop the cysts at certain times in your cycle. I never show a cyst on the ultrasound but always show free fluid like they burst the cyst/s when they started the ultrasound.

I hope that you have been able to get over the shock of what she was saying and start developing a plan that will work for you.

Good luck and take care of you!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Erika,

Well done for going to the dr even though it was a difficult experience. Thing is you know what the problem is and you know what you have to do to address it. The medication might be a temporary thing - the healthy eating and exercise will help and will probably stablise your blood sugar/ pressure in time. I WISH I'd had been informed enough to do something about my problem at your age.
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 AM   #5  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

It is very possible for people to have PCOS and never ever get a cyst.

This will be me. Normally PCOS is broken down into 5 different 'kinds' if you will.

I have been taking the meds and hating it everyday. My tummy ( as usual for people on met) isn't holding anything.

I guess I feel like a faliure because I just wanted to grown up and be a normal teenager and get to worry about Teenage things and the college things and now I'm worrying will I make it until tomorrow.

I really have to thank you guys for the support.

It means a lot.
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Erika, I'm not a doctor, but I feel safe enough in saying don't you worry abotu making it until tomorrow! I've heard of BGL much higher than yours without problems. You are lucky. A lot of people with higher sugar and more weight to lose just don't face the facts. You aren't hiding your head in the sand, you are doing something about it. And every day you are going to get healthier, and imagine what you'll feel like this summer! I bet you are going to have a lot more energy, your BP will be down some, and I bet those ankles will have lost a couple of inches!!

Don't you stop for a minute. You have a lot of potential! Think of all the good you can accomplish in just a few months! Baby steps!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote