South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #1  

Default Question on store-bought soups, nutrition labels

Hello!

I'm getting reading to move into Phase 2. I'm hoping you might be able to address a key area for me:

I'm not a fan of cooking at all. Handling raw meet just about makes me sick and, as a matter of fact, became a huge obstacle for me to get through Phase 1. I was at the point where I'd rather not eat than touch raw steak, hamburger, chicken, etc.

So, the key for my continued success will be to locate foods that fit our diet with minimal prep (microwave!!). I'm very comfortable with the whole wheat thing, avoiding words like "hydrogenated' and "enriched" and "trans-fat" etc., etc. I'm also REALLY good at buying SB frozen pizzas WHat I'm not so good at is deciding which foods are acceptable in terms of sugars. What do you think is the cut-off? For instance, I love tomato soup, but the sugars on that are pretty high, I think, even the organic ones. Basically, then, how much sugar is too much sugar? If you have any advice about decoding nutrition labels in general, I'd gladly take it!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #2  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Sorry I can't help you with that. I wanted a bowl of mushroom soup the other day and realized I couldn't have it! It also has MSG in it, which is pretty crappy and I totally didn't realize that. I'm interested to hear what some of the "pros" have to say about this.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Becky, and to The Beach. I hope Phase I went well for you.

Are you reading the nutrition label or the ingredients? Some things have OK sugar in them and tomatoes are one of those (fructose). Read the ingredients and check them out for sugar and high fructose corn syrup which is terrible stuff! Most tomato soups are just fine. Listings for milk and yogurt show sugar in the nutritional content but do not have added sugar. The sugar in milk is lactose, and it's OK.

Check out the FAQ Phase I and Phase II lists for max sugar grams in things like salad dressings.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #4  

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much! I'm not exactly new to SB-- this is my second go at Phase 1. I knew I was going to blow it over X-Mas

Thanks for the specific names to look for on nutrition labels. That's precisely what I need!
Closed Thread