Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'8

Default Looking for some support...

I was diagnosed in May 2004 as type 1 diabetic. I have gained weight since. I am at my all time high right now. Talking to my diabetes educator she told me something I never knew before. I DID know that it is often times harder for a diabetic to lose weight. What I didnt know is that when you take man made insulin, you gain (or are unable to lose) weight. She said the more insulin you take the more you will either gain or the harder it will be to lose. I never knew that was a reason for weight gain. I know I can eat A LOT better. I lost about 20-25 lbs before my wedding in June. It took about 2-3 months to acheive. But I got really stressed with the wedding and trying for a baby that I didnt keep up with watching what I was eating. Now here I am 7 months later, heavier than I started. Im just ready for a life change. I need to get my diabetes under control. And once I do that losing weight will be a lot easier. I dont want to diet. I want to eat better and exercise more. It sounds SOOO easy. Eat better, exercise more. If it sounds so simple, why is it so hard?!?
tiffy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #2  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Insulin definitely makes it harder - but not impossible - to lose weight. It stinks, I know.
Losing weight will also help you conceive, did you know that?
I am no role model in this, I have my own struggles, but I just wanted to respond and welcome you to 3fc
Try eating and exercising like you were already pregnant, maybe that will help? Good Luck!
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #3  

Hi Tiffy! Welcome to the forum. Insulin is the hormone that tells your body to store fat. The more you have, the easier it is to gain! Insulin resistance, where you need more and more insulin to get the job done, makes it REALLY hard to lose. Folks with Type 2 diabetes are insulin resistant... so I can understand your frustrations. You will feel better, and find it easier to control your diabetes if you eat well. Please feel free to post on the Dieting With Diabetes thread. We don't just talk about dieting and losing weight in there. Its mainly a chatty, keeping up and encouraging one another thread for diabetics. I hope to see you there!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi again, TIFFY . . . Glad to see you made it over here. Hope you become a regular with us.

Insulin does not make it 'impossible' to lose, but it does make it difficult. As Monet mentioned, Insulin helps the fat cells store their product and they never seem to become nearly as resistant to the action of insulin and do the muscle cells that insulin unlocks so that the sugar (glucose) can get in to them to supply us with energy.

Proof of the case . . . me . . . I've been on insulin for about 5 years now and finally in 2006 got serious about losing some weight . . . I've lost 45 lbs. It has been slow, but also fairly steady.

You can do it girl . . . and we are all here to help. Look forward to chatting with you regularly on the monthly "Dieting with Diabetes" thread.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #5  
Addicted to Crafts!!

S/C/G: 283/235.5/175

Hi Everyone,

I used to be on the boards a few years ago but kinda lost track of it.

Quick history on myself:

My highest weight ever was 283. I lost weight before my breast reduction surgery following WW and got down to 218 in 2004. I gained back some and am looking to get rid of it.

I went into the doctor last week and found out I am diabetic. I was surprised, but did have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant six years ago. The doctor told me at that time that because of the gestational diabetes it might predispose me to having it later in life. I never expected six years to be "later in life".

I was able to control it before with diet and exercise and plan on working hard to do it the same way this time. I'll meet with the endocrinologist either this week or next week. I go in tomorrow for the full physical and fasting blood work.

My random blood sugar was 280 and my hemoglobin A1C was 14.1--that was just a quick blood draw after eating a high protein breakfast six hours previous. I know those numbers are alarming, especially knowing what I know about diabetes.

So, I am back on the boards and looking for some support--as I start my fast for the blood work tomorrow morning!

Thanks for your time.
Chachee1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'8

My last A1C was 7. That was taken while I was pregnant. My obgyn said that my diabetes was the cause of my miscarriage. My endo said it probably wasnt the cause as it was low enough to not have caused it. IM worried about it and want to lower it but it really could be worse. Good luck in youre weight lose journey.
tiffy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi CHACHEE . . . . . . Hi again TIFFY . . . . . . Look forward to chatting with both of you in the regular Dieting with Diabetes monthly thread.

So sorry to hear that "later" came along so soon, Chachee. Sometimes things have a way of sneeking out of the woodwork way to quickly, but you've come to the right place. It's a nasty little disease but it can be controlled.

We can do it, girls.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote