Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #1  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Default Need help in the fish department!

Okay so I will let everyone know upfront fish is not, nor never has been a part of my eating habits. The occasional fried battered shrimp and a can of tuna here and there are the extent of it. Although I would LOVE to include tuna say twice a week the mercury scare has gotten to me. I know there are website calculators to show you how many cans are supposedly "okay". But isn't that assuming that there are equal amounts of mercury in each can? DOes anyone have any other better info on this?

Okay so next I have heard alot on this forum about the wild alaskan salmon. That you can even get it from a can and is it safe? I have read to avoid the "farmed fish". Okay so can someone please tell me if this is safe and if it is what labels do I need to be looking for in the fresh dept? And what brand of canned should I be looking for? I would like to try to start with one nite a week for fish. TIA!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jasmine,
I never really liked fish either--especially as a child. I think I disliked it the most because we'd be served fresh-caught trout that had not been boned. Nothing more exciting that trying to eat a fish full of bones!!! My mom often made tuna casserole but I loathed that (still do). The only way I'll eat canned tuna is in a tuna sandwich.

When I first started eating fish, I really liked salmon, but not much of anything else, but I would only eat it a couple times a year.

When I first started eating whole/super foods, I discovered a lot of fish that I had not previously tried and I found that I really liked them. I still eat fresh salmon, but have added halibut, sea bass, sand dabs and other fish to the mix. I grill a lot of it and also pan fry with a little Pam and some seasoning. I've also gotten some recipes off the internet. One of my favorites was a baked sea bass (or halibut) served with whole wheat orzo combined with sliced grape tomatoes and a bag of spinach. You cook it just long enough for the tomatoes to get warm and the spinach to wilt. The flavors are amazing.

But in regard to your question, I have heard that farm raised salmon isn't as good for you BUT only if you eat tremendous amounts of it (it's not as good only because they are raised in tanks where the water gets polluted rather than the fresh water streams that are natural to them). As with anything, if you eat it in moderation, you should be okay. And I don't like the canned salmon--reminds me too much of tuna. I say go to a good butcher and get some fresh or frozen--you'll like it a lot more.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #3  

While I'd rather eat wild fish, sometimes the cost is prohibitive. I haven't had any ill effects and I eat fish of some sort usually 4 -6 times a month.

Tilapia is a mild fish that might be good to start with, since you are not a fish eater. It took my some doing to get use to salmon and fresh tuna. Tuna burgers are the bomb now. making them next week!! Halibut is also yummy as is red snapper and orange roughy.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I'm a big seafood & fish fan; the Monterey Bay Aquarium actually publishes a pretty useful guide ("Seafood Watch") that lists what seafood are best to eat, what to avoid, and what to be cautious with.

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Some are on the cautious/avoid list for health concerns (mercury/dioxins), and some are for environmental ones (risk of being overfished, fish farms' wastes directly released into water, catching methods that harms other at-risk species, etc.).

There is also a pocket guide you can print out and stick in your wallet for reference (and several versions, depending on which region of US you live in) - pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 01-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

AquaWarlock, Thank you! That guide is so informative!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, we have a saying here: "Friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon."

Seriously, in addition to other reasons, wild caught salmon tastes much better than the farmed, and like all fish, the fresh/frozen is better than the canned. There are 5 varities of Alaskan salmon and it's not the best that's being canned. You should look for King (Chinook), Silver (Coho) or Red (Sockeye) salmon for the best eating. The very best way to have it is fresh caught, cooked over a campfire! But there are lots of good recipes. The leftovers can be used just as you would tuna. I make casseroles, salad for sandwiches, salmon patties, etc. Of course, all the salmon that we have was caught by me and DH, so we have it a lot.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #7  
I AM healthy!

Thanx so much for all the advice ladies! I am going shopping on friday so we'll see how good the pickins are. I know when I glanced in the freezer case last week I seen "farm raised". Waterrat that is awesome that you live up there!! You should sell it online!!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love wild caught canned salmon, I make it like tuna salad (a little low fat mayo, some chopped onions, dill pickles). Delicious in a whole wheat pita with sliced ripe tomatoes!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #9  

Just my $.02, while I can occasionally eat salmon, it's just not my favorite. I have found tilapia is the fish I like best. This may be because (my friends tell me) it has no taste, lol. It is very mild and can be spiced to your prefrences. I like mine with thai spices or bread crumbs and parmesan.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Jasmine - there are lots of places that sell Alaska salmon online. You can just put Alaska Salmon into a search engine. I have no recommendations, but this one offers free shipping: http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/ And Joy, I found tipalia to be too bland Just depends what you're used to I guess.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #11  
Mel

I eat probably way too much fish- but I'm really sick of chicken and turkey breast. I buy a lot of my salmon a Trader Joes. Their frozen wild salmon steaks and patties taste great and are far less expensive than most grocery stores.

Tilapia I use like chicken- I've put it in chili, curry, on salads. The only think I won't do is eat it plain because it just leaves me starving, no matter how much of it I eat.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Chicken, salmon, salmon, chicken - that's my variety these days. Occasionally some veggie crumbles in chili or spaghetti. Oh, and eggs and cottage cheese for a change. We had turkey at my BIL's on thanksgiving, and the neighbor where we at Christmas dinner served ham - I ate veggies and deviled eggs (whoops, probably not any better).
Old 01-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #13  
I AM healthy!

Thanx for the advice and links everyone. I did see "tilapia" was on sale for .99 cents a pound? Sheesh! That low price almost has me really worried now! haha

Glory I wish there was a Trader Joe's close to me! Closest one is 40 minutes and we are busing it right now til tax season so that would be probably a few hour ride on the bus. *sigh* WHat brand of canned do you buy?

There is supposed to be a local farmers market here at the stadium in town on wed. so I am going to try to check that out for fresher produce.

Waterrat thanx for the link. They are expensive but I am not surprised. There are different prices and varieties just on the alaskan salmon.

Wild Alaskan Silver Salmon $12.95 lb.
vs.

Smoked Yukon King Salmon $27.95 lb.

Good lord! WHat is the difference? Some taste better?

Mel:

I buy a lot of my salmon a Trader Joes. Their frozen wild salmon steaks and patties taste great and are far less expensive than most grocery stores.

How much are you paying a pound? TJ will definately be an option in the next month or two.

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatc...et.aspx?gid=17

Okay I checked out the links but it didn't really say any concerns about the safety of eating only the environmental hazards. Hmmnn...

Found this;

http://www.healthcastle.com/salmon-s...-mercury.shtml

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/seafsafe.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

THANKS FOR THE WEBSITE AQUAWARLOCKVERY INFORMATIVE!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks for all the websites everyone. I got the little print out about fish on a vacation to the Monterey Bay Aquarium years ago but should see if it's been updated since then.

Waterrat being from Alaska and catching your own salmon you don't have to worry about this but I did a little research on farmed fish and I found this interesting article from Time Magazine if anyone's interested....

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...391523,00.html

We don't have a Trader's Joe's in Colorado either and I miss it! In California I had one down the street from my house.

We have a meat deli right near our house and they always seem to have fresh cuts of wild salmon. It is expensive though. I really like canned wild caught Alaskan salmon and add it into whole wheat couscous, brown rice or a pita with veggies for lunch or dinner.
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote