Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #1  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Default Dark Chocolate?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what Dark Chocolate you ate. I notice some of you say "Dark Chocolate Squares".

I bought the Hershey 100 calorie dark chocolate bars thinking that was terrific, but to be honest, they are just okay tasting. If I am going to indulge in a little chocolate once in a while, I want it to be really yummy!

Thanks!

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Kelly,

Dark chocolate is definitely a little more "bitter" than regular chocolate but once I got the sugar out of my system it tasted much better to me and I actually really like it now.
I have bought various brands of dark chocolate and so far my very favorite is Newman's Own Organic Sweet Dark Orange Chocolate--comes in a bar 50 calories for one square. I find it in the health food section of my local grocery store (Safeway).
I also like Ghiradelli's dark chocolate squares which come in individually wrapped packages for about 50 calories each square.

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #3  
Recovering Shopaholic

Thanks Charlene!

I am definitely (too) familiar with the Ghiradelli, and that didn't even cross my mind! The Newmans sound great though, and I am going to look for them next shopping trip.

I love dark chocolate (any chocolate for that matter) and I love the idea of having the wrapped chocolate already packaged in the right size. It will help me to not over-indulge.

Thanks!

Kelly
Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4  

I buy the Dove Chocolate squares and they are really good. of course I've always liked dark chocolate so I probably am a bit biased. Suzanne. a long time ago posted an article about dark chocolate and how some sort of testing had been done and the the Dove dark were the highest in whatever the good stuff that is in dark chocolates.

I have tried some of the other darks, just for fun. The most intersting was a dark chocolate that had chillis in it. Quite interesting, although not one I think I'd buy often.

Found the link to the Dove article http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ove#post738664
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Green & Black is an excellent UK (I think) dark chocolate, lots of flavors. A little pricey here though.

At Thanksgiving I was shopping with my niece in Freeport, Maine, and we went into a Lindt outlet where I got some Lindt Excellence 85% cocoa bars - on sale - which are excellent!

DH also bought me a Hershey's dark chocolate bar with cranberries and I think hazelnuts in it. Haven't tried that yet.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The best prices I've found on dark chocolate are at Trader Joe's and at Target. Target carries Lindt as well as Green & Black. I really like 80% and higher dark chocolate. The Green & Black Mayan Gold is excellent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

2nd vote for Green & Blacks Mayan Gold. Fabulous! I also got their one with a coffee flavor? Didn't like that one.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I liked the coffee one, but I'll echo the vote for Mayan Gold! I found an organic brand in a store in Anchorage that had lime - very tasty!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I bought a bag of the dark chocolate Dove- they are SO good. I used to dislike dark chocolate, but not anymore!
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #10  
Recovering Shopaholic

Thanks so much for all the input!

I think I will try the Dove (thanks for the link, Linda!) and the G&B.

Now, ... if I only had this much interest in salmon!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #11  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

I've tried Hershey's 60% and Lindt 70% and 85%.

The Hershey's, in retrospect after tasting the Lindts, isn't very "exciting" but on the other hand it seems a decent way to wet your feet.

Next try was the Lindt 70% which I really, really liked. It has a lot of acidity to it. My dad said it had a tang like "green raspberries."

I'm working on a bar of Lindt 85% now. At first I wasn't too thrilled. Obviously at 85% bean it's very very strong. But then last night I switched back to the 70% and I missed the strong roasted flavors of the 85!

Overall, though, I do think the Lindt 70% is very tasty and goes down easy.

Next in the cupboard is a Ghirardelli 72%. By the way, I get the 3.5 oz. bars on sale; 2 squares is usually nearly exactly 100 calories (the Hershey's was a bit different I think), so I break it up and package 2 squares at a time in foil, so it's all ready to go!

Unfortunately, I live in the boonies. Even Trader Joe's is an 80 minute ride one way (though a friend and I have been known to make the trip ). So while I'm generally stuck with what I can find at the local grocery or Walgreens, we're lucky that even those stores tend to carry at least Lindt and Ghirardelli.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandbagAficionado View Post
Thanks so much for all the input!

I think I will try the Dove (thanks for the link, Linda!) and the G&B.

Now, ... if I only had this much interest in salmon!

You just need the right recipes! I firmly believe we can learn to like most foods out there , If we find the best way to fix them.. for us!!

I have loads of salmon recipes on my recipe review page. I think I noticed someplace you are doing Sonoma and since I'm the Sonoma Mod, most of my recipes fit really well. Of course, you'll need to ignore the cookie and dessert reviews!! Of course, even if you aren't doing Sonoma.. the recipes are pretty much whole foods based
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  
Recovering Shopaholic

Linda,

I am actually just a standard calorie counter (lol) which is how I lost my weight originally, but I am trying to integrate more whole foods into my diet now (and lose another 10 pounds or so). I am looking through your recipe review page - thanks for pointing that out! I *LOVE* allrecipes and go there anytime I am looking for something new.

So far, I came across the spinach stuffed salmon ... maybe I will give that a shot. The one time I really enjoyed salmon when I ate it (at a restaurant, because I have never prepared it at home!) was with a sweet asian-y type glaze. I may look around for something like that - any suggestions?

Okay back to chocolate ... Luminous, I agree about the Hersheys. I picked it up because it was prepackaged as 100 calorie bars, but I think I'd rather split up something a little more tastier!

Kelly
Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #14  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandbagAficionado View Post
The one time I really enjoyed salmon when I ate it (at a restaurant, because I have never prepared it at home!) was with a sweet asian-y type glaze. I may look around for something like that - any suggestions?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-S...il.aspx?strb=1
"Asian Salmon" at allrecipes.com. I made it some weeks ago and liked it. It would probably be easy to modify it to be lower cal. I'd replace the minced onion with green onion (gods I hate the squishy crunch of regular onions—I bet eyeballs would have the same texture) and I didn't feel like rice when I made it so I made couscous instead.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #15  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

My favorite brand of chocolate (which includes several dark & "deep milk" varieties) is Vosges ~ based in Chicago though sold at upscale/specialty markets everywhere. 2 squares is about 100 calories. My favorite varieties are the Red Fire (with chili & cinnamon) and Black Pearl (with wasabi & sesame seeds). www.vosgeschocolate.com

But this brand is rather pricey (a bar of 8 squares runs $5-8) so I only buy and enjoy on special occasions.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote