Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Reading list

I miss our reading list thread. Thought I'd start a new one. A few of the great books I've read lately were weekend books. You know, not very long, kinda big print, those ones that used to be on the best seller list but you found them in the clearance section?

The Dogs of Babel (Carolyn Parkhurst) - just a touching story about dealing with grief. I just loved this book.

The Family Tree (Carole Cadwalladr) - funny and enlightening story about trying not to turn into your mother.

also read a flop. It's a well celebrated sci-fi book. Though I'm not sure why it's sci-fi OR celebrated, to be quite honest. Dhalgren (Samuel R Delany) has incited in me ire like that I haven't seen since 11th grade English Class (the scarlet letter). I got to the last chapter and just threw it down and walked away. I just hated this book so much words can't even describe it.

Right now I'm working on Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga, the first book Magician: Apprentice. So far I am really enjoying it.

What's everyone else reading?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
Right now I'm working on Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga, the first book Magician: Apprentice. So far I am really enjoying it.

What's everyone else reading?
I loved the Riftwar Saga too. There is a related trilogy, the first one is Daughter of the Empire it's fabulous too.

I recently read Girls Who Went Away which was sad, but oddly repetitive at times and I am currently reading Black Swan Green which I am really enjoying (great language/dialogue/imagery).
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #3  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

This is my favorite thread and I miss it too.

I recently finished P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern. I loved it. It is about a woman who lost her husband. She then finds out he left her a series of letters to be opened, once a month. It was sweet and a little sad, but well worth the read.

Also I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I liked that one too. It is about a doctor who delivers his wife's twins. He sees that one has Down's so he tells the nurse to put her in an institution. Instead the nurse takes off with the girl to raise her. The doctor tells his wife the girl has died. Yup, it did make me cry.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Great book suggestions everyone!

Sqeaker - those books sound really touching.

I'm currently reading Melancholy Baby by Robert B. Parker. It's about a female private detective with a messy love life who is trying to figure herself out while working on a case of questionable parentage for a client, then the bodies start piling up as the story unfurls and the plot starts to connect everyone to each other.

It's not bad for a quick read. I started it yesterday and I'm halfway through it.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/202/154

Height: 171 cm

Oh, what a great thread ! I am a total bookworm. This summer, I read the most I read for a long long time.
I just finished 'Tears of the Moon' by Nora Roberts. It's very, very nice. Also, I'm now reading 'Queen of the Damned' by Anne Rice, to get my necessary dose of vampire lit
Also, I'm trying to read 'How the Rich Get Thin' by Jana Klauer. Not that I'm rich, but good to know!!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Well I ran out of horror books to read and ended up reading Medieval History (fiction) for some strange reason I'm really enjoying reading books by Elizabeth Chadwick - all lances, swords and leaky castles and not a vampire, werewolf, devil and monster to be seen.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Moo -

I started reading a Spider Robinson book this morning on the bus. Callahan's Key which is another installment of the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series. I love Sci-Fi and enjoyed the other books in this series.
Closed Thread