Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default The Last Twenty Pounds

Hi everyone! I kind of mentioned some of this in the Weekly Weighin, but on thinking about it I realize I need your wise input. Anyway, the question is, how to take off those last 20 pounds of pure lard? Or in my case, beer, chimichangas, pizza, etc.

Up until now I've had results with just portion control, calorie counting, and basically eliminating excess fat and sugar. And lately I've upped my workouts, which has really slowed the weight loss. For me that's normal, as I put on muscle very, very easily. (Too easily, in fact-- I have PCOS and tend to get mannishly boxy-looking.) But I don't lose fat fast or easily, of course, even with the added muscle.

So what's the next step? I'm exercising basically 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day, and that's about all the old bones will tolerate right now. I'm eating 25% protein, 25% fat, and 50% carbohydrates, all food groups. 1400 - 1600 calories per day.

In the past, I've had a lot of trouble low-carbing, as it seems to leave me weak and dizzy from hypoglycemia, with no energy for hard workouts. And there is no way I'm going to live without bread, rice, potatoes, etc. forever. And yes, I eat whole grain bread, brown rice, and potatoes with the skin in concert with an otherwise low-GI meal.

I could go lower on fat, but 25% is a natural level for me and I'm afraid I'd just gain the weight back once I reverted to that level. I've started to eat more fish and beans, so I think that will lower the fat a bit. My cholesterol was 177 at last count and tris at 111. Blood sugar normal, no evidence of insulin resistance. (I'm grateful for that!)

My doctor is completely clueless about nutrition, she's one of those very tall skinny people with a high metabolism, and everyone in her medical office is really fat! So I'm somewhat at a loss. Should I just accept the slowdown and be patient, or???

Help me out, guys, summer is coming and those low-rise jeans are calling my name!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Seek, Who knows i could use the same 20 pounds gone before June. but am stuck. Jennifer3fc told me about changing metabolism. but i need to learn how? something gotta give though. ( damn beer though, i got same problem have switched from my usual dark, imports to miller lite. and the new miller low carb one, just ain't the same)
Old 04-15-2004, 07:29 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I am on my last 10lbs and struggling. I have decided to increase my exercise to 1 hour per day instead of my usual 30 minutes. I am also going to try eating fish and/or seafood (not fried though) twice per week since that worked before.

I try to eat protein in the morning since it seems to keep me going longer and I don't eat carbs at lunch since they tend to make me sleepy and feel like my brain is in a fog.

I also do little things to increase activity like taking some of the stairs at work. I can't do the full 14 flights yet but I am currently up to 5 and I take the stairs all the way down when leaving the office. I take the stairs at the Mall instead of the escalator and park the car further away from the door.

At work I go for daily walks at lunch time and do small things like get up from my desk and walk the length of the office for a break from my computer, do calve stretching exercises (discreetly) while in the copier room waiting for the copier to print and I have to get up from my desk to get to my printer. It sounds silly but every little bit counts.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #4  
Queen of China

I have been dinking around with the last ew for a few months and whan I finally asked one of my batallion of Dr.s she said..maybe that is what you are suppose to weigh...why are you slaving to gain a number...and that number will still be considered 'overweight' by the medical standards...are you happy? can you buy the clothes you want? can you maintain this weight without making yourself nuts...
(I am slinking around the office by now) are you becoming tiresome to your friends and family? are you obsessing...
It took a while but I got the point. I am happy, I can maintain this weight, I was becoming tiresome, and yes I still am considered overweight...
still..those last few pounds!!!!!damn!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:45 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

The skinnydaily post had a great article about these last few pounds last week, here it is...

http://www.skinnydailypost.com/archi...ve.html#000986
Old 04-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #6  

Thanks, Ilene! That article really confirms what I've been thinking lately-- it's time to "kick it up a notch" to the next level. I think I'm beginning to get a clue about what I need to do-- I want to run again. I'm already fantasizing about 3K and 5K fun runs, so that gives me a whole new set of goals to work for. This time around, I'd like to learn everything I can about runner's injuries, and make a real effort to stay healthy. So I'll need strength training even more to stabilize and support my hips, back, abs, and shoulders. I was clueless on these issues when I was younger!

It's Jack who's put the bee in my bonnet, actually. If he can do a 5K, I can too. It's a lot of joy and happiness for me to get from being fat, to being fit, to aspiring to become an amateur athlete. I'm so grateful to be able to do this. It's going to be a fun, fun summer!
Closed Thread