Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
My DD and hubby didn't get here on time to help me with those two jobs yesterday so I'll have to call a friend from church to see if he'll come help me. As soon as DD arrived I followed them in my car to the restaurant in the nearby city. The restaurant had a very steep staircase up to the front door and Gord (son-in-law) helped me with the steps. My ankle hurts more going down a staircase so once we were in the restaurant we found out that there was an elevator at the far side of the building which I used when leaving. We all had a wonderful time and we made Peggy's day (the one who turned 90). I had a 6 oz. steak that came with fancy fries, a caesar salad & 2 drinks. I think I'll be happy if my weight stays the same when I weigh in tomorrow morning. I didn't get on the scale today (afraid to LOL). With not being able to exercise lately except stretching it is hard to lose. Today, I go to mass but this afternoon I'll be watching my favorite football team (Denver Broncos) play.

Glynne - that's great that you know how to crochet and making prayer shawls. I never did learn how to do that but I did knit quite a bit a long time ago. Walking around the house will give you lots of more steps to record when you purchase that pedometer. Keep it up.

I'll really be watching my food today after my big meal yesterday. I hate when I lose a whole week of trying and spoil it all with one big meal out.

Have a good Sunday everyone,
Karrine
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, it's morning and my DGS is still alive and well. LOL Rusty still barks and growls at him and chases him when he runs, but not as much as he used to. It's taking him a long time to get used to people.

For the first time in a long, long time I did very well with my food yesterday, for the whole day. I usually start out good but then end up bad. I ate around 1000 calories. I felt a little hungry by bedtime but I worked through it in my mind and now this morning I feel fine.

I didn't eat any starchy carbs, which usually makes me eat too much. My total carbs were 47 gm, but that was from 1/2 banana and 1 cup of tuna salad. I used my online tracker to calculate it. They show carbs in tuna salad and I don't know where the carbs would come from unless it was from the mayo. I hope I can continue this. Maybe the scale will move.

Gayle, I don't exercise hard enough to burn many calories either. I do it mainly to keep me mobile and control blood sugar. We are allowed to have 3 TVs on cable so the TV in the game room is hooked up, but I don't really need it because I usually exercise while my soaps are on and we can get that channel without cable. Sometimes I watch other things.

Instead of worrying about weight loss, you should just remember that what you're eating now is a lot healthier. That's important, too.

Mary,
I have the same problem that I don't have hips to hold my pants up and they roll down over my belly. I hate that big belly but I don't think it's going anywhere.

If I am ever here alone I will get a security system. DH always says we don't need it, but I would feel safer if we had it. You never know what's going to happen. We live in a neighborhood of mostly older people and they are always targeted. My step-son bought a house that already had one and they continued with it. They live in a more secluded area. Also, it helped them one night when they were sleeping and my DGS got up and tried to go outside. It set off the alarm when he opened the door. They think he was sleep-walking.

Karrine, I don't think your dinner out sounded too bad. It was probably more than you would have eaten at home but it could have been a lot worse. I think you will get right back on track.

I hope your ankle feels better.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #33  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
For the first time in a long, long time I did very well with my food yesterday, for the whole day. I usually start out good but then end up bad. I ate around 1000 calories. I felt a little hungry by bedtime but I worked through it in my mind and now this morning I feel fine.
Good job Carol Sue....carbs are my biggest downfall, I love BREAD of any kind. It's not fair carbs are in healthy foods like tuna salad and fruit. I think staying under or around 1000 calories is the way to go. When I was much heavier, 1000 calories per day took my weight off fast.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #34  

Height: 5'3"

Just finished breakfast and will be getting ready for church soon. Our old clock radio alarm went off this morning even though dh didn't set it...he figures he must have bumped it or something. Loud music which I hate in the am! I was already awake at least and really it went off only about 15 min before we would have gotten up anyway. We don't even set that alarm anymore ...if we really have to set an alarm we use our phones. Much easier. So it was kinda strange.

After the kids left yesterday we watched a scary movie...turned out we'd already seen it but dh didn't remember it, so watched it anyway. Not really our kind of movie but it did keep our attention and the acting was ok. We are having trouble finding movies that stream that we actually enjoy. Hopefully we will in time. Hope we don't have to "kiss too many frogs" before we find some interesting and more decent movies soon. The kids gave us this BlueRay because they were sure we would enjoy it. I do enjoy some I stream to my computer that I like but they are not the kind dh likes so I just watch them while he's watching TV shows I don't like.

I think we will probably have lunch out today.

Hope you all have a good Sunday.

Mary

Last edited by maryea; 01-17-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #35  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary When you mention watching a movie you saw at an earlier time of life, I had to laugh. I remember my sister saying that she was even watching Perry Mason again because she forgot how it ended. DH and I also watched an older movie recently and said often"I don't remember this."

CarolSue Rusty may just be showing who is boss! He is very protective, right? I have no trouble holding up pants, my hips and back end are where most of my weight is stored. I look much smaller when I'm sitting.

Bobbilink 1000 calories a day? Do you feel light headed at times? How to you get sufficient nutrition?

Karrine DH is watching Denver right now. I'll join him soon. Do you know how many playoff games Payton has played in his career? I've always enjoyed watching him, even back in college.

When we went to Mass this morning I parked in handicapped so I could get inside quickly. Asthma acting up and it is colder here than I'm able to breathe in. Gal in choir sang solo of "Ava Maria" with our great piano player doing it justice. Solo as we went to communion was absolutely beautiful. Acoustics are unusually good in this Church and we were sitting where I could also watch her. She is a beautiful gal who is well over 60 and looked great in sapphire blue. Hope she sings more often.

Past few days I've been on a carb attack. Couldn't seem to get enough. After staying up till 4:00 am Thursday night, Last night I went to bed early and slept 10 hours. Luckily Mass was at 11:30 this morning.

Sandy
Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #36  

Good morning everyone,
We got quite a bit of overnight snow here last night. I gained 1/2 lb. this past week. I shouldn't be surprised due to my dinner out yesterday plus I was over on my points by just a little bit on 2 other days. I didn't think it would matter but it did. I'll try harder this coming week.

Carol - Way to go on doing well on your food yesterday. Hope today goes as well for you.

Mary - Do you have Netflix? I'm thinking about getting it if I can get someone to help me as I'm not sure what I need. Do I need a different remote (for instance)?

Sandy - I'm not sure how many playoff games Payton Manning has had in his career but I do know that he has set new two new NFL records so far this year and is trying for another. He has one more game to try and beat Tom Brady on something.

Hope everyone has a good day and a good upcoming week.
Karrine
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #37  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Karrine ~ we have Netflix. Ours is an older TV, so our Netflix comes through an extra device ~ a small box that sits on top of the TV ~ it's called a Roku box. The Roku box has it's own separate remote that comes with it. My son has a newer TV (I think it is called a smart TV) and his Netflix is an app right on the TV ~ I don't know for sure, but I don't think he has a separate remote for that ~ I think it runs right off the remote for the TV. I hope that helps. I'm not real good with the tech stuff ~ my husband is the techy in the family ~ he loves gadgets so, he gets the stuff, hooks it up and teaches me enough to be able to use it. So, I don't know a lot. Mary is real good with the tech stuff, so maybe she can tell you more.

How is your ankle doing? 1/2 a pound isn't too bad ~ you'll do better this week.

Hello to everyone else ~ be back later. Maddie is here ~ no school today ~ Martin Luther King Day.

Last edited by glynne; 01-18-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #38  

I have a big box of DVDs I bought at Goodwill. They sell them for $1.99 and I get senior citizen discount. After a movie is there for a week they sell it 50% off and I can get them for $1. I don't watch movies all the time but if I want to there's something in that box I will like. They are mostly chick flix. My sister-in-law likes to borrow them to take to their cabin where they can't get cable or satellite. DH doesn't like movies. He has a short attention span.

Karrine, Tom Brady is from the New England Patriots. They will be a hard team to beat but they have been accused of cheating twice. Nothing was actually proven.

Sandy, I think Rusty is a Lhaso Apso and that breed is known for being protective. Also, they need a lot of socialization with people and I don't think he got that before we adopted him. I think he likes my DGS but is afraid of him since he's so active. If I hold Rusty John can come over and pet him and Rusty is ok with that.

Mary, there aren't may things on TV that DH and I like to watch together. He watches a lot of those shows about car repairs and classic car auctions. Not my cup of tea!!

Bobbi, I love bread too, but because of my diabetes it causes more problems than just weight gain. I am on day 3 of staying on plan. I call my plan reduced carb. I am not eating any starchy carbs, like sweets, bread products, pasta, rice, potatoes. I make sure I have a salad every day. I don't really like fruit but I try to have a few slices of apple or pear, or 1/2 banana, just not every day. Today I am making stuffed peppers. I am putting some brown rice in the filling but it is mostly meat filling. Also, I am keeping my portions small and not eating after dinner. The after dinner is a hard habit to break. As long as I just take it one day at a time I'm OK. If I have 1 screw up, I will be off the wagon for weeks. I really want to do this.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #39  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Sandy...I put my food into Fitday, that shows all the nutrients I'm getting and if I'm low on something I can make up for it the next day. Light headed? Never, I actually have more energy on 1000 a day calories than eating heavy foods/calories.

Carol Sue....Have you tried getting more fruit in smoothies? I use unsweetened almond milk, only 30 calories in 8 oz glass. I peel, halve and freeze bananas to put in them too.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #40  

Bobbi, I don't care for smoothies or shakes. I like to have the chew experience with my food. If I had a smoothie or shake I would feel like I was having a milkshake, and would want a hamburger with it! LOL I use Fitday, too.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #41  

Height: 5'3"

We went to the gym but otherwise dh went fishing and I have been very lazy. Took a short nap then got up and cleaned our bathroom and then watch Netflix movies on my computer, wasn't even very interested in them, just felt like sleeping all day.

Yesterday our son and his GF and her kids plus their baby came over. The baby is getting bigger and is so pretty. We really enjoyed holding her while she looked around some but slept most of the time. Mama said she still wakes up about four times a night but goes right back to sleep and doesn't cry much.

I haven't eaten much today but haven't eaten very healthy either...again just too lazy to even think about what I'm eating. Trying to decide now what to fix for dinner. I have ground beef thawed out...dh suggested sloppy Joes so maybe that will be it but doesn't sound very good to me. I'm in a strange mood today!

Bobbi - I can't imagine eating only 1000 cal/day. The last time I lost any significant weight was on about 1200 cal/day and I felt like I was starving. Fortunately I can lose on more than that, but I do feel it is harder to lose now due to the meds I'm taking. Still if I stick to less than 1600 I can lose just slowly so know it is still possible and if I did go down to 1200 I would lose faster I'm sure. Don't think I'll ever go below 1400 again though. When I eat healthy I feel really good, but not like I ate today. My problem is all I really want to eat is carbs and that is not good even when they are not heavy carbs, carbs are carbs for a diabetic, except most veggies are ok. I have a hard time getting protein just naturally so I have to plan to get it. I do love smoothies, no problem there and I often add protein powder to them but have to limit them due to the carbs. See, when I like something I have trouble disciplining myself. I don't eat much bread usually thank God, but at times I do. It is always a lower carb/low cal whole wheat.

Carol - Dh and I mainly watch detective shows or news together, but I am more picky...he watches a lot I don't care for, but it's usually drama of some kind or a music show. He also likes pageants and award shows which do not usually interest me at all. And most of all he loves to watch the Filipino channel. Since I can't understand most of it, I don't care to watch. The one different type show I love is Downton Abbey and he is totally bored with it.
These days I often come back to my office and watch Hercule Poirot episodes and other British TV episodes on my computer monitor. I think the British do very well with their TV shows.

Karrine - Unless your TV came set up with internet access and Netflix you will have to have some way of connecting to the internet. If you already have that, I am not sure whether you need a separate remote. Our TV was internet capable but we had to have a device to use it. We now have a BlueRay player but there are other ways like Roku. Our BlueRay player came with a remote, I don't know about Roku and others but suppose they do too. I'm a bit disappointed with Netflix streaming though...actually prefer to get the DVDS from Netflix (just sign up online if you want that) because so few of the movies we like are available to stream. If you have Roku and I suppose other similiar ways (amazon Fire is another), you can have access to other programs that offer movies. There is a new one called Pureflix, I'm trying on my computer but you have to have Roku to use on TV. I'm considering going that route. Hulu is another. I'm assuming that like Roku the other devices come with a remote but not sure. Most are just plug in devices now so you'd have to be sure you have the ports available on your TV. Since I have not tried them I don't know much about them...only what I've read.

Sandy - I can imagine how great that singing was as that is a beautiful song.

My laziness is creeping in again and I need to get moving to get dinner ready. I'm not even hungry so hopefully won't eat much. You all have a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 01-18-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #42  

Arrow Newbie

Hi, I'm Barbara. I live in central Oregon. I'm almost 76 years old and I feel this is my last chance to lose weight and succeed at maintaining it for the rest of my life. Have yo-yo'd all my life and am tired of the roller coaster ride. It's really depressing to get started and be all hopeful and then slide down again. I really need contact with people who get it. I'm looking forward to receiving and giving support. Never been on a forum before and am facing a learning curve here
Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #43  

Good morning everyone,

We got a lot more snow with all the snow squalls yesterday and overnight again so guess what I'll be doing today (limping around on my driveway lol).

Gayle - thank you for the Netflix information.

Carol - I never thought to go to the Goodwill for DVD's. I'll have to check that out at a Salvation Army Store not too far from me.

Mary - I have a BlueRay DVD player and I just got a new modem for my office. I can access my laptop and printer remotely. I do have a separate remote for my DVD player if that works for Netflix. I was thinking about Netflix's DVD delivery service but when I look at their site it doesn't look like they ship to Canada. In other information I have read, you are right about more selection with their delivery service which I would prefer too rather than increasing my cable service to unlimited streaming which would cost more in addition to the Netflix streaming cost. Thank you so much for all the information ---- you sure do know your stuff .

Barb - Welcome to Golden Girls thread. You'll find everyone here to be very supportive. We talk about everything and not just diet and it is fun getting to know everyone even though we are a small group. I am 73 years old and by Christmas 2015 I was at my highest weight. I'm trying desperately to take these pounds off as I only have 1 pair of slacks and one pair of jeans that fit me anymore plus I look and feel awful. You'll learn more as you post more so don't give up. We are all in the same boat. It is much harder to lose weight at our age.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #44  

I am embarassed to make this confession, but I have never cooked regular rice. I have always used instant. My excuse is that we don't eat much rice, mostly the small amounts I put in stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage. Even my brown rice is instant. I finally bought a bag of brown rice to learn to cook it. The bag said to use 2-2 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. I tried that, and it turned out really sticky and mushy, so I dumped it out. I hate to waste food, but a bag of rice is so cheap. This morning I tried again but in a smaller amount. I used 1/2 cup of rice with a little less than 1 cup of water. The water was absorbed in less time than it said, but the rice was dry and a little crunchy, the way I like brown rice. It made a smaller amount that I put in the refrigerator. I know it's carb, but I heard it's healthy so I think I will try eating 1/4 c per day and see what it does to my blood sugar and weight. DH doesn't really like brown rice but he will eat it in stuffed peppers and cabbage and doesn't even notice the difference.

Mary, your whole paragraph about streaming, Netflix and Roku were like reading a foreign language to me. LOL I know nothing about those things! My daughter-in-law uses our WIFI to download games on DGSs Kindle for him because their WIFI uses up their data on their phones. We have unlimited WIFI. When DGS was here he wanted me to download games for him and I had to tell him I don't know how to do it. I think I would have to have their information from their Amazon Account to do it, also.

Karrine, we have only been getting a few flurries here and there because it's so cold. It's been in single digits and today the high is only supposed to go to 17. Be very careful with the shoveling!

Hi Barbara, and welcome to the thread. Jump right in posting, you will like it here!

Hi Sandy, Gayle, Bobbi, Lynn, and anyone else reading here.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-19-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #45  

Height: 5' 2"

Barbara WELCOME. You are close to my age so I understand the feeling that this is the last chance to make a difference in my health and weight. Scary at times.

Mary when you mentioned that your husband was going fishing I felt some envy. Little snow here, but temperatures can't even reach 20 degrees in full sunshine!!! I'm house bound as Asthma is acting up.

CarolSueDH just made his great chicken soup and Pat (sick with sinus infection) is enjoying it with left over brown Basmatti rice. This is the absolutely best brown rice. The white version is also the best, even healthier than any other white rise. We have rice at least twice a week.

Cabbage rolls or Stuffed Green Peppers are always a hit in our house. This time of year the Cabbage rolls will be most likely as Peppers aren't in great supply here. DH makes them so good. I'll suggest it for sometime this week.

I also am like Carol Sue in my need for chewing my food. Love a crunchy apple, crackers, celery, carrots, and feel satisfied with far less than I do with a smoothy. The yogurt and fruit smoothie are tasty, but I find myself very hungry shortly afterward.
Closed Thread