Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #226  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

KarenFL - you aren't wrong. We've become the thread of lecturing, a forum to show off how smart we are. I'd like to see a lot more of "Cajun - hang in there, because we know you're trying" or "Lucinda - you've been down the road, and you're doing so well"....

This thread has been around for a very long time, and it would be a shame for it to die out.
Thanks everyone for the welcomes.
Liana: I don't do zumba or Jillian right now. I have bad knees, and am not able to move that fast right now. Hopefully, they'll improve with time.
Lucinda: Youngevity is a line of products to give you all the vitamins, minerals, amino acids and anti-oxidants your body needs. I am taking gluco-gel to rebuild cartilage. I'm on my second week. I'll let you know how it works. I'm optimistic, but that's kinda the way I am.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #227  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

My dh lost his keys this morning. He woke me up from my needed slumber,(dog had thrown up /soiled in the house!) last night and I was CRANKY!
Usually this minor blip would have been my excuse to comfort myself with vegan ice cream, raisins and salted nuts followed by an afternoon of Patron coffee tequila on ice.

But not anymore. I can not let my Golden girls down! I have to stay sober and committed, Right?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, I don't think anyone would find a reason to be offended at your post. It's the truth.

When I first started posting here I could see that it was a very tight group of friends who had been posting together for a very long time. But I was told to grab my cuppa coffee and pull up a chair, so I did. Now I realize that not everyone is interested in what I have to say, and vice versa. But I find that I can learn something new, or I can click-on-by something that doesn't apply to me, and others can do the same with my posts. Unless someone is really posting hateful comments to another, they have a right to post their info or opinions. Maybe not everyone agrees with that. I know some of the old posters have left and you miss them. That's understandable. I miss some old posters, too, but I have also met some very nice, caring people. The thread will not die out. There are always new posters chiming in. They might be saying things you don't want to hear, but there's always the ignore feature built into the forum. You still have the right to post with your old friends in the manner you're accustomed to. This is one of my favorite threads because there is always someone here every day posting something of interest. As much as I like the younger women on other threads, I have a hard time relating to pregnancy, TOM and such. So lets keep inviting new posters to join the group. The more the merrier. Variety is the spice of life, and other such sayings.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #229  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Lucinda I know several people that are battling this life long illness. You are doing great. I'm sure at times you are feeling overwhelmed. You can do this. I have an addiction to. It's food. I tell my self one day at a time. After all that's all we are promised. Hope dh found his keys. From my experience with my dh if it's not in plain view he don't see it and won't move things. It's got to be in front.

Judy welcome to our lil family. I know how you feel. I'm battling a pain in my knee also. I use to jump on my mini trampoline but haven't lately due to pain in my knee.

Carol sue I like what you just posted. Without y'all Goldie's I don't know where I would be. It's such a good support system. But the most important gift I've been given is true friends with struggles like mine. I love hearing about daily lives. Children. Grandchildren. Darling husbands. CRANKY husbands. Sometimes it's not about just the diet. Too much of that leads to burn out I've learned. Yes it's always in the back of my mind but I love sharing the happy things and I sure need to vent too sometimes without judgement. I think of y'all daily. I pray for those that need extra prayers and I've come to love everyone too.

Gayle I'll be glad when things settle too. I need and love my golden girls so much. I love hearing about your sweet lil maddie. They say that you love your children with all your heart and soul but those grandkids are so very special and different. I guess I'll find out one day when my grandbabies start to come.

Andi welcome. I like my coffee too with stevia and cream. Tried black coffee without cream. Yuk. Can't handle that. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Deelou I know how you feel about that tracker. It hurts so much when you have to move it in the wrong direction.

Mary I'm so glad your sugar levels are getting better. Have you felt a difference in your energy and mood? Myself when I consume too much carbs and sugar I feel tired and overall just don't feel good. When I'm off the high carbs I have more energy and feel more jolly. The 1-1-1 diet was ideal. It was balanced. Just not for me. It allowed me too much carbs. It said I could have chocolate and that's what I ate as my carb. Lol. Like putting candy in from of a baby.

Naughty welcome. Looking forward to getting to know you.

K31 how is your Tim feeling. I'm still praying for you both.

K3 don't ever stop sending out the posse, rolling pen, ear worm. Those three thing have made me try harder when I was ready to throw in the towel. They gave me tons of smiles and jump started me when I needed a kick in the behind. You are very much loved. How are your knees feeling since surgery. I don't think I've ever heard how successful your surgery was.

Rosey are you still enjoying your morning drink on the deck. Hope it's not too hot for you. We are burning up here in louisiana. The morning temps with humidity is smothering.

Bobbie have you finished all of your painting. Have you given up on 1-1-1 and gone back to what works for you. I know I have and I'm doing better. What day does our % challenge end.

Today is weigh in day. Last week I had a gain but this week I've lost that and am back to my ticker weight. So that's still 9 lbs down. Dh was cooking last night and he said you know what would be good some homemade ice cream. Ohh k3 I coulda used that rolling pen to wop him on his nose. I told yes just great. He said awe a small bowl won't hurt you. I left the room. I was mad. Gave him the cold shoulder. When we went to bed he asked what was wrong. Uh oh. Wrong question. I lit into him. I said if I want to eat ice cream it will be my choice. Quit offering me foods I don't care to eat and saying it won't hurt me. He don't understand those things are triggers for me. I was fussing at him with all barrels loaded. After I was done he said that's my girl and I am very proud of you and I'm sorry. Men! How am I going to stay mad at him. Lol.
It's hurricane season and we have so much wild game in our freezer from all of us hunting. We are trying to use some of it so dh has been cooking Monday Tuesday and Wednesday night. Youngest son come to eat and takes lunches for him and our oldest son to work. So far we haven't put a dent is that wild game freezer. Dh has fishing nets out too and is catching catfish so that freezer is filling up. Day before yesterday he caught 200 lbs of catfish. They will be running them again today. I wish the ones of you liked catfish I could share with. We've been sharing with family and friends.
I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Didn't do on purpose.
Gotta get the laundry started.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #230  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Cajun...geeez, what a bird brain I am. I forgot all about the challenge!
I have not gone backwards since I changed my ticker. BUT, I haven't lost anything either. Sorry! We've been so busy getting other things done in our cottage. Right now Bruce is building a shed, I'm having fun weeding the mini garden we put in. This fall I'm going to build a cedar raised bed to put more garden in next spring. I found I can't take the country out of me.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Friday I have surgery scheduled for my right foot (bunion). They will shave off some bone, take some bone out and screw together my bones so they can't separate again. I can't drive for a long time, will have to wear a goofy looking shoe for 4-6 weeks. As soon as it's weight bearing, I'll have the left foot done with the same procedure. Bruce is gearing up to take care of everything in the house, including washing the clothes. I have to ice it 45 minutes out of every hour for 2 days. It's going to be painful in more ways than one.

Ta Ta

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-23-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #231  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola!

Cajun – please keep us posted on the wedding plans…. and will you be able to keep on track during the frenzy? When is the wedding scheduled? And which DS is this, the younger or the older? I can’t remember: do you have an outside job as well as all the other thousands of things you do? It’s very generous of you to offer to help defray some of the expenses… weddings are incredibly expensive, aren’t they?

Did your foxes go live somewhere else?

Deelou - what has been HAPPENING with you????

Lucinda – eiuuuuuuuu! I can’t imagine adding butter to coffee! Why? Why?? Did you go from 178 to 110 in just two years? Amazing!

Gayle – please stop apologizing!! You are just fine; quit worrying so much! So, do you have Maddie every day this summer? How is your DS doing? Have things calmed in her life?

Bestisyettocome – do you have an easier name for us to use? Are you looking to have surgery on your knees? KarenFL had TKR on BOTH knees this past spring! She’s a warrior woman!

Bobbi – good luck on Friday! I hope your DH is ready, willing, and prepared to be of great help to you! I think it might be painful for a few days. Good luck, good luck!! Maybe you can bling your “goofy looking shoe”!

Waiting for the phone man… and for the ant sprayer… and for the lawnGod… Once I get everything fixed, I hope it stays that way!!

Nothing to report (obviously)…. So, have a good Wednesday. Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-23-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #232  
Jacksonville, FL

I'm heading to a wedding this Saturday, one of our young Pastors, our 50th anniversary party, the next Friday, then school and church activities start up mid August.....summer is so boring!! I have to stay in because of the humidity and so have just switched 3 months of inside because of the cold in Ohio to 5 months inside because of the humidity!! I sure wish the " oh, you'll get used to it in a year" had applied to me....we've been here 7 years and I love a lot about it just not the summer......!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Donna sorry I did leave you out of my post. The wedding is march 14 Saturday at 6:30. Reception to follow. It's my youngest son getting married. Yes ma'am wedding cost a lot. It wasn't supposed to be a big wedding but it's turning out to be. They are such a well liked couple. They have 8 bridesmaids and 8 groomsman. Several little flower girls and ring bearers. She has a very large family. It's exciting to be able to be a part of the planning. She included me but I always try to be respectful of her choices and offer my opinion but not pushy at the same time.
I have a daycare in my home. When the kiddos leave there isn't any energy left for much. I guess that's why I like doing thing on the weekend. Sometimes I don't leave my house Monday thru Friday. Lil red fox is still here. I'm going to go along with dh and let him stay as long as he don't surprise me.
As far as the diet goes I'm sure I'll be so busy I won't have time to eat. At the time of the wedding that is. I have to stay on target to look nice in my dress. It's my 7 1/2 month goal. I can do it.

Bobbi I agree. You can never take the country out of a person that loves it. I'm Back to my ticker weight so my % didn't change but im still trying. Your holding your weight and that's a great thing to do. Especially for someone at goal or close to goal. I'm going to say prayers for you and your dr. Hopefully you won't be in too much pain. The ice might be worse than the surgery. Oh and dh too. He's going to need them. Lol. Come back to us as soon as you can. Let us know how your doing. In hospital overnight or outpatient?

Deelou I can relate to high humidity and temps. Hate summer. Love fall though.

Ttyl
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #234  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello Ladies!

I have not posted for awhile. Been so busy and will continue to be busy, but I do like to drop in from time to time. My weight is up - down - up - down, but I refuse to give up! I am trying and that is what counts! Have not been walking, hubby got sick and I am not brave to walk by myself at 4am! But he is better so as soon as this rain lets up we will begin walking again. I hope you all have a blessed day!!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #235  

Tam Tam!! You are another I forgot in my last post because you have been missing for quite a while! Are you still following The One plan? I remember that it was difficult due to your working situation. Sorry to hear about your dh being sick...is he better now? I would never walk at 4 am! My dh wouldn't either and since we are retired it is not an issue for us, but my dd often runs very early in the morning...I'm think more like 5 or 6 though...I wouldn't even do that. Sheesh, when I had small children, the last thing I had strength for was walking early in the am, but then that's why these young women often have more strength than I did at their age I guess.

We just got back from the gym about an hour ago. My bs is still high most of the time but it is slowly dropping. Yesterday I had a really good reading before lunch. For so long I never saw a normal reading...only what the diabetic classes taught me was "diabetic normal." Now my doctor tells me that that is not low enough...so I'm pleased to see these much lower ones now.

Cajun - Funny how weddings seem to grow after the planning begins..but with a large family it is understandable. Sounds exciting although I know large weddings can be stressful too. As the mother of the groom hopefully not too much is expected and you can stay relaxed and just enjoy. I never had to plan a wedding, just helped financially with our two sons. Our oldest dd has never married (legally) and our youngest was older and they did it all themselves. They actually married once in Vegas so little planning needed but then at her mil's request they did it again at a wedding hall...unofficial but more formal and with more guests. I got the fun of shopping with her for her dress, veil and cake, helped a little financially but had no stress of planning etc. which was great.

Bobbi - My dh made raised gardens a few years ago and really likes them. The last two years he has also done something different in that he doesn't have them all in one area. In our regular gardent he has three rather large ones (regtangles) where he grows onions, garlic, broccoli, zucchini, green beans and cucumbers. Then he has two others...one more larger rectangles where he grows lettuce and eggplants (this one is not completed planted this year), and two smaller ones (square) where he grows bell peppers, more eggplant, and tomatoes. He doesn't grow many plants of anything, usually 1-4 depending on what it is as we can't keep up with it all. Right now I have about 6 zucchini in the fridge and we have given some away. We will probably be giving more away soon. Sometimes I think he works too hard and we end up giving most away but he says he enjoys it...both the work and the giving.

Ouch you description of the bunion surgery sounds painful but hopefully they anesthetize it well. I have two bunions now, one bigger than the other but either is very large yet. I actually just realized what was happening a few months ago, but my feet have hurt for a long time in many of my shoes and I wondered why..duh. Best of luck with your surgery and take good care of yourself so you heal well.

Deelou - Enjoy the wedding! Good to have you back posting.

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #236  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

[QUOTE=maryea;5045335]Tam Tam!! You are another I forgot in my last post because you have been missing for quite a while! Are you still following The One plan? I remember that it was difficult due to your working situation. Sorry to hear about your dh being sick...is he better now? I would never walk at 4 am! My dh wouldn't either and since we are retired it is not an issue for us, but my dd often runs very early in the morning...I'm think more like 5 or 6 though...I wouldn't even do that. Sheesh, when I had small children, the last thing I had strength for was walking early in the am, but then that's why these young women often have more strength than I did at their age I guess.

Yes hubby is better, thank you. No I just could not stick with the one one one diet. I wish we had the option of being able to walk later in the morning, but with work it is 4 am or not at all.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #237  

I didn't mean to end my post there although probably it was enough babbling on.
but I don't want to miss anyone either.

Also wondered: I was doing the foot press at the gym this morning and upped it to 200# and it made one of my knees hurt so moved it back down to 180. I don't know whether that is good (or even decent/average) for my age (71) or not, I do know I used to be able to do more. I usually only do 20 reps.

Wannabe - I agree with what you said.

Cajun - I think I can tell a little difference in how I feel but not a lot yet. I think I don't feel quite as tired and I don't have that drive that made me feel I HAD to eat. I'm still eating more than I should...just can't get back to diet mode. That's my problem I have never changed my eating lifestyle completely I guess. I wish I could get myself to do that. I eat healthy things but too much. But at least now I do feel I have a choice. I just need to get back to making the right ones. I have always eaten similar to The One plan and I still do but I just eat too much. So not all problems are solved with the new med but now it's up to me.

Lucinda - So proud of you...I do look to you a lot for inspiration of what I should be more like. You're doing great!

Best - I don't know whether I have welcomed you...if not WELCOME! Always room for more and I look forward to hearing more from you. Knees can be tricky once we age and esp put on weight.

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all from the sunshine state where there is another 40% chance of rain down from 50%.

Welcome Best...understand too well about bad knees. I am half way thru recovery post BTKR in Feb, PT until you go crazy.

Lucinda...first you lost me with vegan ice cream and then I hummed what is Patron coffee tequila? Sounds really interesting.

Carol Sue...GG is a great site because of it's core. Each of us were attracted here because of the respect and compassion seen. Without that core of caring it would be just another site. Respect us and shelter us and the payback is sweet. As I said yesterday we are the Golden Girls and we glory in being crones.

Mary...If I could I'd being doing a happy dance for your BS!

Bobbi.....ooooh ouch. Question do you get to be a "cranky pants"? Oops that sounds obscene.

Cajun...Eating down our freezer, too. But there is a law in nature that the more you eat down the more seems to appear.

DeLou...There's a storm forming, maybe....way out there. Secret: last year when ever a storm formed I had GG singing or puffing and all the storms blew out to seas. As Donna calls them the weather fools....hmmm

Donna...Open book 17 of Wesley Petterson. One to go.

Audi...instead of group hugs how about some giggles.

Rosey...is MIA because of a sick pc.

Gayle...Is spending time with Maddie so we can hear and enjoy the fun of having a DGC so close.

Know I missed some but everyone gets a hug.

Played bridge today and to my surprise we came in 1st. There are a few players who really irk the bejesus out of me. Have a new strategy. I think of them naked. This one, for lack of a better term, lady today had put on her lower lid liner and her stick concealer. NOTHING else. Picture straight black line with streaks of whitish globs. It was sad but she stayed b*tchy.

My DD had her gastric bypass 6 weeks ago. She's down 52lbs, bs 101, bp 110/60 and off all meds except vitamins. She looks 20 yrs younger.

Time to do one more round of pool pt....arghhhhh hugs k3

Last edited by Karen3; 07-23-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #239  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Karen 3 .. one of my short term goals is to learn to play bridge. It is a cerebral game and I am looking forward to doing something with my DH and other like minded people. Coffee flavored patron is tequila. And we were best friends all last summer.
This summer she has been disinvited anywhere near my mouth.
Vegan ice cream is thick and sweet and oh so yummy. I have eaten enough to last a life time so I really don't miss it.
Bobbi---what was the last straw for you that prompted the decision to have your bunions shaved? I have a bunions too so I am wondering where is the point of "this and no more"?
Holy Moly! 52 pounds in 6 weeks! She must feel spectacular!

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 07-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #240  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

"Wow, this is the Golden Girls I remembered and loved. Everyone is talking again, YIPEE. It feels like home.
Lucinda...Not only are my feet ugly but I don't ever wear sandals anymore because of my bunions. The straw that broke the camels back was the way both my big toes were turning, one to the east and one to the west. ( Over lapping my other toe and soft corns were starting to form. They hurt! ) UGLY SIGHT, I don't even like talking about it. Just shaving the bone off doesn't work, it can grow back. You have to have it cut off, then screws put in to keep the bones from separating again. The procedure is called Kalish aiken bunionectomy if you want to look into it.
I will do personal tomorrow, too busy getting stuff done around here to make it easier for Bruce. I will be bed/chair ridden for a couple of days until swelling goes down.

TaTa
Closed Thread