Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Looking for other over 50s who are ready to maintain

Hi- Thought a maintainers thread for those of us on the "OTHER" side of 50 would be nice.
Did you reach your goal?
How long ago?
How often do you weigh?
What do you do to maintain...
When do you go into panic mode?

What is your biggest obstacle and how have you gotten through the tough times once you are comfortable with your weight loss?

I'm a 65 YO retiree, married and with 4 grandkids who live in other states so I travel a bit. Started a weight loss journey late last year and recently reached my main goal. If a few more pounds come off...that'd be great (!!) but am pleased to have accomplished this much in one year at my age. Now the hard work begins. Still will need to watch, and know this is a life style change to keep the weight off, and not the end of this journey.
Love to hear from "newly arrived at goalies" or those who are "steady maintainers"...and are able to be voices of wisdom!

Last edited by 65X65; 10-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi 65x65,

Sadly, I am not at goal. Hopefully, you'll get some maintenance members over 50 to join you here, and you might want to also hop on over into the Golden Girls October thread. It's made up of a nice bunch of ladies who will do their best to help you stay on the straight and narrow, and several of them are at goal.

Last edited by Jane; 10-29-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #3  

65x65, may I ask what you did to reach your goal, what has worked for you this far?
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

So happy to see this thread started. I'm a 68 y/o who by the grace of God reached goal weight of 150 on 10/5/09. I lost more after that, and have maintained well below goal since then. The Insulin Resistance Diet has been key, because it helps keep my appetite under control. 2 things happened on the 3 occasions I started regaining a couple of lbs. 1) I stopped keeping a food diary just when 2) I was starting to have "feelings" of resentment toward having to always be vigilant & disciplined. Sometimes I just want to throw aside the restraints. When that happens, I have to remind myself that I'll never be able to that without gaining weight, have an on-plan treat & move on. After 4+ years, I still find maintaining is, at times, harder than losing the weight. BUT, IT HAS BEEN WORTH ALL THE EFFORT IN IMPROVED HEALTH ALONE. Good luck to us all on this never ending journey.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Hi all.. Thx for jumping in here. I was on a lo carb lo glycemic program. It is a commercial program (had to buy protein "meals" from them. I used mostly shakes as the other items they sell all have gluten in them) I participated in this at a wellness center at a chiro office. It's called The Ideal Protein diet. It's pretty restrictive.. But it works esp if one is insulin resistant. My short stature and age did not give me dramatic results.. Some claim large losses the first few weeks.. I averaged 2-3 lbs a week consitently for about 5 months. Which I never got even close to on anything else! Weight watchers was a disaster and I gained on that regimen. For me it matters where my calories come from. I'm really carb sensitive and phasing off the commercial IP program now. Will need to be careful of carbs/ sugar forever. Am Gluten Free which helps and will be getting most of my carbs from high fiber veggies. Counting calories will NOT be enough for my metabolism and therefore, will be following a modified paleo diet. (I will use some dairy.)

The transformation of my physical self was/is amazing. Wearing really small size now, shoe size changed too! The weight started coming off my midsection first. Wanted to lose another 5-7 lbs before deciding I'm "there".. but the extremely slow weekly losses for the past two months now and bouncing up and down within a 2 lb range since summer's end have convinced me it's time to phase off. It's an expensive diet... But was worth (totally worth) it. At this point, I've gotten the biggest bang out of this protocol I'll likely get, but most importantly really understand my metabolism now. This is not a diet that works very well with cheating. You gotta be 100% in/on, because it does put your body into a ketogenic state. Cheating costs days to reverse...so it's expensive. If you have to have cheat days you may wnant a cheaper diet!! It took me about 8 months to lose that amount of weight, and mentally I was not struggling with the inability to cheat ...it was just so good to have something that actually worked, and as the pounds dropped it was easy to keep motivated and see that progress was real.

If you are addicted to bread, pasta, sugar etc... You need to evaluate what is most important..there is no forgiveness for a slice of toast or pizza, and no wine. Or beer. Since I'm gluten free... (8 yrs now) those things were easier for me to give up .. And I won't be adding them back!

What is the insulin resistance diet? It sounds similar..?!

Last edited by 65X65; 10-31-2013 at 02:50 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote