Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Default How Do You Get Back On Track?

How do you get back on track? For me I really need to stop the night time crack, I mean carb, binge. Sometimes I can really summon up the "juice" to fight the craving for a little while. I thought I was mentally there but that bewitching time comes and there I am, like a ghost roaming the kitchen. What do all of you do? Any and all suggestions welcome!!!
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

What I've learned over the years is that late night crack binging is due to stress eating, simple as that. Earlier in the evening we can usually handle the stress of the day and eat a sensible dinner - but the later it gets and the more tired we are, we cave into that stress monster and eat a whole sleeve of girl scout cookies. (who, me?)

I would suggest doing anything that de-stresses YOU, like yoga, calming tea, exercise, deep breathing, or even mild meds. (I take a Relacore some evenings, which are o-t-c. Magnolia Bark is anti-stressing). Once you settle the stress, you'll be able to resist the crave. Also, after a cup of calming tea, brush your teeth - sometimes that works, too.

Good luck!
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I sometimes have trouble with the same problem - night time overeating! With me, it's mostly a boredom issue. What works for me *most* of the time is to budget calories for that time of day. Having a planned snack to look forward to really helps. If you still feel like eating, maybe try this veggie dip: mix 1 tablespoon of Ranch dressing into 1/2 cup of salsa. Lots of crunch, flavor, and nutrients for a small amount of calories.

One of the best ways to keep your hands out of the cookie jar is to come here and read all the good posts.

If you do over-indulge, get back on the wagon immediately. Not the next day, but Right Then!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #4  

WebWoman - you hit the nail on the head about the stress. I'm only having my master bath remodeled but with the noise, dust and toxic smells that get through the plastic sheeting I'm hanging out in my sons' semi abandoned rooms. One of them is right above the noise. So I switched to the one on other end of house but this son doesn't live far and he decided to spend the night - so I switched back. I had cataract surgery on one eye a month ago and vision is still fluctuating and now I notice that the other eye is bothering me. Two additional. annoying things on top of the usual stress. Not sleeping in my own bed...I do have to think of a way to de-stress. I do have meds but I think they just loosen my will power. I might try a little tea. They stopped making my favorite - Lipton's Lemon Soother. And I haven't found one I like as well. I also have to be careful about getting up in middle of night one more time
Jane - I like your ideas. I have been racing around dealing with remodeling issues and haven't been planning meals or snacks properly. I will plan a snack for tonight. And I keep telling myself I will come on 3fc when I want to eat bad stuff and I keep forgetting. I think I'll cut up some celery pieces and cucumber and I'll come on line.

Thanks for your suggestions. Sometimes, especially when you have extra stress, you need reminders. I'm excited!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Here are my best 10 ideas to get "back on track"

1) Go find someone on any 3FC Board who is in trouble & give them 10 ideas.

2) Go to www.dwlz.com & spend some time playing around there.

3) While you are in www.dwlz.com, download Weight Commander and spend time playing with it.

4) Make yourself a pot of herbal tea, put it in your best teapot and pour yourself several cups while you are on the computer.

5) Find a good meal recipe that is around 400 cals/serving; make it; package the servings in separate baggies; eat one.

6) Think of a good challenge you would like to set for yourself & post it on the 50+ Board. We'll join you in the challenge & it will be a lot easier to do it!

7) Identify 5 things you did today that were good/nice. Write them on an index card and put it on your refrigerator.

8) Go to at least one 3FC Board that you rarely visit & read through 1 page of messages.

9) Think of a goal that you could meet this week. Challenge yourself to do it.

10) Turn off TV, turn on some good music, lie back and spend 10 minutes imagining how you will spend a day after you meet your weight goal - be specific - start with when you wake up in the morning and go through day until bedtime.

Good luck to all of us,

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #6  

Lynn- thanks for the great ideas. I will look up those sites when I get a chance. All of a sudden my life has gotten nonstop busy.

tI did pretty well last night. I didn't have time yesterday or today to get to grocery store so I didn't get my cukes but I let myself have one handful of tortilla chips. I usually try to have no carbs and then end up having too many. These particular chips aren't my favorite, unless loaded with guacamole so I tend to not over eat them. If I had something I really loved, like chocolate, salted nuts, potato chips, doritos, etc., then I want massive quantities.

Last edited by deelee10; 03-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7

i also stuggle with night binging too so I try to get online and answer my e mail.if my hands are busy i'm less likely to eat.I also chew gum and drink water ,diet soda so my mouth stays busy too
mrslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

The one thing that has consistently worked for me to keep appetite & carb binging under control throughout weight loss & maintaining is to ALWAYS LINK PROTEIN WITH CARBS. I use the Insulin Resistance Diet's linking method & usually eat a bit more protein if I'm really hungry. When I want comfort food & feel that emotional "food is therapy" stuff coming on, I make ham nachos - I cut up pieces of lean ham & melt some cheddar cheese on top. I fill up very fast on the protein & the melty cheese with the saltiness of the ham satisfies nicely. Sometimes I make 3 c. air popped popcorn & drizzle about half a tablespoon of real butter & pour an oz of melted mozarella on top. These things really crush the binge monster for me. Eating carbs alone simply does not work for me, because I rapidly reach a place where I just can't stop. Good luck in finding what works for you.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #9  

Joyful and Mrslosingit - thanks for the great suggestions. I had a little relapse on Thursday night but did very well last night - celery sticks with blue cheese dressing.

Tonight I might try that again. I also bought some almonds - Hopefully, I won't over eat them.