Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #76  
Grateful

S/C/G: 262/tracker/175

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Jane! And hi to all....a gorgeous day here in Oklahoma, with an expected high of 83 (!!!). Fourth day OP and feeling good.

Any recommendations re/ a good calorie counter online?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #77  

Hi everyone. On plan here in snowy Juneau.

OkAnnie-- I have used Fitday and sparkpeople. Both are wonderful for tracking your food. They are not calorie counters so to speak, although you can certainly get that info. By plugging in your food intake you get not only calories, but all nutritional info. Both are free, as well.

Jane, I am jealous of your good weather. It will be at least 6 weeks before my ground thaws.

Web Woman: I am down about 26 pounds and have lost only 1 size, but only because my clothes were so tight. I was a tight 26, and now I am a comfortable slightly loose 24, and some 22s.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 314/283/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jane and all of you ladies! I miss stopping everyday but I am eating right although it's hard to get enough calories in (did I say THAT?) since I started the temp training. By Monday I will know if I can stay or not; they don't train the way I am used to; it's just one of those things! I am doing my weigh in in the am and I'll measure tonight. I will be on Saturday am to report. Enjoy the lovely weather. It will be in the 70s here tomorrow, I think!
Oh, and THIS is fun: I put the jacket that I wore to my interview (March 2nd) on two days ago and thought "Too bad I can't button it!" I couldn't then. I reached down and it BUTTONED!

Last edited by Tamsin78; 03-17-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #79  
Grateful

S/C/G: 262/tracker/175

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, all! Day five for me, and OP. I even think I can handle the weekend to come.
Tamsin78: Yeah, button!!!! That must have felt SO good...
Bunti: Yeah, 26 pounds!!! WTG!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #80  
GmaTo8

Hello all,

Web Woman - since I am tall, it takes about 15 pounds for a size, either going up or down, haha. Also, it takes even a little more to get into/out of each women's plus size. I just wish sizes were standardized, so I could pick up the same size in any brand and it would fit!

OKAnnie - Bunti gave you the same answer I would have for tracking food info - Fitday seems to be a leader around here. I personally just track my info on school paper in a 3-ring binder. I do this each evening for the next day, usually. But Fitday gives all the nutrition info, which would be helpful.

Bunti - it took me a good while to go down a size, too, when I first began, because my clothes were too tight. The feeling of putting on the smaller ones sure made me want to shout Hallelujah! I have daffodils buds and forsythia bushes ready to pop open any day now. Before you know it, you'll be thawing out, too.

Tamsin - I hope the scale is kind to you. Sounds like you are doing great OP! Also hope you'll be able to stay in the job, if you want to. And Whoo Hoo for being able to button the jacket! You are an inspiration!

Trish - where are you? Hope all is well with you and yours.

Dr. Oz has a weight loss article in the April Good Housekeeping magazine. Although I don't intend to follow his plan, there are lots of good ideas for healthy snacks, and recipes that I like. If you need more healthy food ideas, check it out! Keep in mind that magazine are free to peruse at the library.

We've had such beautiful weather, and I've been outdoors, taking advantage of it. The grands will be here this weekend, so I may not be able to post. Have a good one!

Last edited by Jane; 03-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Sorry I've been MIA. This will be a quick flyby just to say HI! Everything is going good right now. Scales bouncing but not gaining. That just seems to be the way I do. Had to go get pedicure and get nails done today. Should have gone last week, but I scraped my ankle on my shoe rack whenrushing into my walkin closet and it had been sore. Since I've been diagnosed with T2 diabetic, I get a pedicure once a month to take good care of my feet. The bonus is that the ladies that do the pedicure where I go do great massages and I knew that one of them rubs so deep that my ankle couldn't take it. I didn't call for an appt and the one I got today did a good massage but not as deep as the other one does. I don't complain when it seems rough because I know it is good for my circulation. Then DH and I went shopping and out to eat.

I'm eating my carby foods only once a day... called the Reward Meal on Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. Other meals and snacks are low carb. This way I don't have to count calories or carbs. I even do it more Intuitively by eating only when hungry. I found a website that has an active CAD/CALP support thread and I'm very thankful to find them as there are some out there but not very active.

Trying to be more active. Getting out more; so beautiful out that it is easy to want to. I don't cook like I used to so trying to learn new ways to cook more at home healthy versions some of the foods we like to eat in restaurants. Also thought I would check out some easy one dish recipes that could be made to take to church functions and/or to church families when needed. I just need to find ways of being more active rather than being on the pc all the time.

I see we have some Newbies Glad to have you here.

If I don't make it back here before then Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #82  

Height: 5'3"

Finally felt like I'm getting my house back to normal a little bit more today. Staying home and off the computer really helps. Ran a sweeper over the carpets and kitchen...just hitting the middles but looks better and got the kitchen counters cleared. Also last night I finally got the bathroom stuff back in the cupboards..it had been in a box on the main bathroom floor and we were just removing a little at a time as needed. Glad to have these things done. I'd like to leave more things in the RV but since we might not use it again until next Jan I don't like to leave things out there that can expire. But all this packing and unpacking is sure work. I washed a couple loads of laundry and cleaned the laundry area (in my garage) while I was out there, and I washed the bathtub and showers thoroughly. So feel like I'm getting back on track finally with my house. I plan to clean out the car but not sure if I'll get to it now so may do it tomorrow.

We got another estimate on our tree work today and it is the same company we used before. They seem to be the cheapest and we know they do good work so think we will go with them again.

I am feeling better...don't think I'm quite over my UTI but not as noticeable now and today is my last day of antibiotics. He only had me take them for three days this time. Hope that will do it. My legs are still aching (unrelated problem) but not as badly today. When I sit too long it gets much worse so I just need to be up moving more I guess. I downloaded an upgrade to my calendar software and have been sitting here quite a while playing with it. I really like it but there was one thing I used to do and can't seem to now so I emailed the creator about that. Otherwise it's better than ever. I like a simple calendar but there are a few things I prefer too.

For those who are members of Costco and buy cell phones, I recently discovered that Costco gives you a good deal on phones. I'm told they give you much more with the phone (accessories) than the other places do but I haven't actually purchased one from them myself, so just what I read and they confirmed it. Only thing is they don't carry the iPhone which I wanted. I am considering an Android too though and they do carry it.

My weight was up today but think I just got too much sodium yesterday. The good news is that when I went to bed last night my bs was very close to normal (diabetic)..it was only one number too high. That's the best I've done recently so think I'm eating better. For breakfast I had scrambled eggs (1 whole and 1 white), and 1/2 cup peaches with 1 oz cheese. Lunch was a cocoa and pb smoothie. Both meals were very good and kept me going without a snack in between. Snacks are usually my downfall as you may remember although evenings are the worse time. Tonight we are having another beef and veggie stir-fry and rice. I will only have a little bit of rice.

Yesterday I signed us up with our gym again. I need to go over the schedule and plan what classes I want to take. I know I want a stretch class, but I also want to use the machines again so may change it up a bit this time, maybe alternating days or something. I used to take a circuit training class 5 days a week...and I with two classes a day I spent almost two hours at the gym and that really messes up my days so am hoping to work something out where I'm only there an hour. I'm not sure my dh can take being there so long right now too.

My dh bought a new pressure washer today. He bought one at Costco yesterday but it was not good enough, took him an hour to clean off a small portion of moss on the patio. So he took it back and got a better one at Lowes and he got a good deal on it. His old one quit on him (it was given to us by a friend and was used) and he's been wanting one for quite a while so he's happy. With all the rain we get, moss is a big problem.

Trish - glad you checked in. Sounds like you are doing well. Your post reminded me that I need to go in for a pedicure too.

Jane - I'm not tall...just a bit under 5'4" but because of the way I carry my excess weight (around my middle), it seems to take forever for me to lose enough to change a size! The waist measurement is SO important, not only for health but for the fitting of clothes. When I lost 33+ lbs before I could continue to wear my "fat" clothes until I'd lost most of that! But it was when I finally bought new clothes that people began to notice.

Going to take a break before I have to fix dinner. Have a good evening!!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 314/283/135

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm Gonna WAYYY In and the Tape!

Dear Ladies-Good to see all of you stopping in, Mary, hope you feel better, I know how THAT feels. The gals here always make me feel better!
I had a rough week-this job, if it continues, is really short term, just until late May.
This week the scale really slowed down but I expected that with cardio exercise and hand weights. I dropped about 1.5 pounds and lost eaxctly 2 inches-combined, from my waist, abdomen and hips this week. My bustline and what I refer to as the "mid-line" (halfway between my bust and waist) have dropped a combined 7 inches since one month ago.

I had promised on my blog to start adding real supported facts about weight loss and diet and I will start tomorrow by adding a new page; first topics: soda and your body and the effects of sugar substitutes!

Enjoy your weekend, Lovelies!

Last edited by Tamsin78; 03-19-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #84  

So far so good today on both calories and carbs. My am bs was high this am but later pretty good. I see the doctor next week so he may discuss this then. I think I'm going to take him a print-out of my readings...or maybe not, I don't know. LOL At the last visit he threatened me with Byetta and said it might help me with my weight too but I really don't want to inject myself.

Tamsin - congrats on the weight-loss. Sounds like you are doing well. I stopped the regular sodas a long time ago...it was hard to give them up. Then I drank diet for a quite a while and got to like them, but I had osteoporsis at the time, and stopped them because they are bad for your bones. Also took medication for a while, and increased my exercise and my last bone scan showed NO osteoporosis! I couldn't believe it and made them double check to make sure they hadn't mixed mine up with my dh's who had the scan done at the same time!

It feels good to be caught up with most things around the house now. I have scheduled some short trips over the next several months....one to the the coast and one 2-3 hours north of us. Nothing too far away. I'm happy to be back home.

Hope you all have a great evening. We are going to watch a movie. I may have some popcorn as I think I can afford the calories and carbs. Yea!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #85  

Morning Everyone!!! It is a sunny day here in Juneau. Snow is melting, and my mood is really lifting.

Still on plan. I lost 1 pound last week. My DS started Richard Simmons food mover last week, and on his blast off week lost 8 pounds. I am having a hard time convincing him that every week wont be like that.

I never have been a big soda fan. Just the occasional-like once or twice in a month. When I was getting used to moderating my intake, I used them once in a while. (4 ounces-diet- over ice with a slice of lemon) Last night I saved some points to have a 4 ounce glass of real Dad's root-beer that I had been saving for a treat. One sip and I didn't want the rest, so I dumped it and had a glass of herb tea instead. The root-beer wasn't nearly as good as I had remembered. Diet pop is part of my survival plan in social situations, if I need it.

Tamsin, sounds to me like you are doing great!

Mary, I wish I was "caught up around the house" I don't remember what that means, lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #86  

Hello everyone, as you know I am new here. I wasreading your threads and your group seems very friendly. I have been trying to lose some weight but success has not been my portion! I have been doing the point system for two months and I am down only 2 pounds. Today I have decided to check the calorie amount right along side of the points. I journal everything I eat. I am not good with exercise as I have arthritis. I do walk as much as I can.
The weather is just starting to break here. Nice but windy today. The forcast gives rain/snow for this coming week. I can forsee not much walking!
Not quiting this journey. I need to get 15 pounds off that I carry on my upper legs and derriere!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #87  
GmaTo8

Just a quick swing-by to say hello! The grands were here this weekend, and we had a big ol' time working in the yard, etc. I am worn out, but in a good way. I hope each of you had a good weekend, too.

I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #88  

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday! It was nice to be back in our own church this morning. We attend a lot of good churches on our winter trip but just like with our home there is no place like it!
After church my dh was very hungry so we stopped at Olive Garden for lunch...fortunately there wasn't a long wait. I had Pasta Fagioli and salad (dressing on side) and 1/2 breadstick (no added butter) and we shared a dessert. I would have been fine if I hadn't had the dessert because even 1/2 put me WAY over on carbs and calories! So I'd better eat lightly tonight! Unfortunatlely even that doesn't help when a diabetic goes over in carbs though. Just seems like I can't pass on the dessert.....good thing we don't eat out real often. Then we went to Target...I had a $50 GC so bought our milk there plus a couple household items.

After that meal all I want to do is sleep...talk later..
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Everybody,

A quick one tonight. I've had a great OP weekend. Really have enjoyed the beautiful weather and being with friends at church today and tonight.

Maryea Good to see you. I understand about overdoing carbs sometimes. I'm eating my starchy/dessert carbs once a day and have to really be careful not to overdo. I sure feel it if I have just one bite more than I need. I'm re-reading the Heller's Carbohydrate Addicts Diet book and now that I am dealing with diabete II, I'm seeing things in the book I didn't pay close attention to before and understanding more about keeping those insulin surges in check so the BG readings aren't so high. It is a lot of trial and error as I'm learning which carby starches my body tolerates and doesn't. So I'm working at learning how to get better control.

Jane Glad you had a good time with the Grands this weekend.

Hannah2 Glad to have you here. It is no fun when we lose so slowly although they say it is harder to gain back when we do. Patience of losing hasn't always been my vurtue. At my age losing slow or quick is not as important to me as being healthy. Do I still have problems with slow weight loss? You bet ya I do. As I said, patience is not one of my virtues. Good luck on your journey.

Bunti Congratulations on the 1 lb loss.

Tamsin78 Congratulations on the 1.5 lb and 2" loss.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Y'all have a great Monday
!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #90  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Trish - you are so right when you say the weather makes us feel better! I seem to have lots more energy now that the sun is out, and the temps are spring-like. I wish I could eat only one carb dish a day. Maybe that would help my belly flatten out some.

Tamsin - yay for you, dropping weight and inches! Sometimes the measuring tape is much more kind to us than the scales. I hope this week is easier for you than last week was, job-wise.

Mary - I'm glad your UTI is better. Hope it's all gone by the time you read this. Getting things put away does make a person feel good. There's even a book out there: Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat. Did you decide which classes you'd like to take at the gym? Olive Garden is a place I have trouble staying OP, too, so I just stay out of there, lol.

Bunti - congrats to you and your DH both, for your weight loss last week. Men do lose much quicker than we women, but I agree with you that he won't lose 8 pounds every week. About the root beer - isn't it funny how our tastes change? Quite awhile back, I budgeted calories for a glazed donut, and looked so forward to it when they were served after church, but was very disappointed in the taste. Like you, I put it down and wouldn't waste my calories on it!

Hannah - with your positive attitude, I feel sure you will make it this time!

The weekend just flew by, and now I'm doing the countdown to my Chicago trip next week. I'm taking my granddaughter by train to meet her penpal, and it's a toss-up as to which of us is more excited, lol.

I'm thinking about going back to calorie counting, because the scales has stalled with WWP+. I was POP and did intentional exercise last week and showed a gain instead of a loss. The only explanation I have is that my current weight is a place that I was for a long time in the past, and I believe my body likes it here!

Have a good week!
Closed Thread