Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Hello pattygirl63! I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a couple of years ago and put on a low g.i. diet by my doctor. It's pretty much low carb and that's how I lost my weight and got my blood sugar (among other issues) under control and back to normal.

Gwen--Sometimes I go overboard with nuts too but I think for me it's just a matter of just liking them too much. I often try to have them as a bedtime snack, brush my teeth and then hit the sack. No time left to binge on them then It also seems to help me if I pair my peanut butter with some celery. Maybe it's the fiber???

joyfullretiree--thanks for the encouragement with the new recipes. I have been craving pizza so this morning I recreated an old Denny's classic--the pizza omlette! Oh, it was delicious I used one whole egg and some egg whites to make the omlette. I filled it with a mixture of turkey pepperoni, sausage, green peppers that I lightly sauteed. Sprinkled a little LF mozzarella and a tiny bit of parmesan. Poured a serving of tomato sauce (italian seasoned & no sugar). It was filling, and came in at about 7carbs for the whole meal. Although I am not counting the calories I know it came in low because I used LF items and kept the filling scanty. Just enough to make it taste really good.

Today, my co-op meal is to be chili, cornbread and veggie tray with dip. I think I will skip everything but the veggie tray/dip. I have some chicken thawed, which I will sautee then I'll have it with some mashed cauliflower and sauteed zucchini.

Anyone watching the supper bowl? We're not big football fans but I'll probably watch some of it off and on with the hubby. No superbowl parties for us and that's not a bad thing in my book. No food temptations

Stay warm and have a great day,
Lou

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #107  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Gwen - wow, you are so close to Onederland! What an accomplishment! I love those tomato-basil burgers, too. Like you said, they take care of the pizza cravings.

McGoo - So glad you've joined us. A big Yay for the first 5 pounds down. That's great!

Lou - how did the smoothie work out? Did you like it better with the Jello powder? Whole Foods - be still my beating heart! I don't have one of those stores near me, but have been in one, and LOVE it! The nearest one to me is over 2 hours away. I'm making chili tomorrow for Tuesday. Sounds so good! Neal is watching the Super Bowl right now. I don't watch it, but I do like the commercials, haha.

Trish - YAY, you're back! And a big Whoo Hoo for the 25 pounds lost. I'm glad you have a good doctor that you are comfortable with. That's so important!

Joyful R - there is a quote around that says -
"Being fat is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
Maintenance is hard.
Pick your hard. "
How true! I was putting so much anxiety and energy fretting about being so overweight, that I truly think doing what I have to do to lose is easier than that. I will be so happy to get back to the maintenance "hard". You are an inspiration.

Today was family day. What fun! The kids got to go out and run off some of their energy, since the high temp got to 43*. I had my "treat day", as usual, and as usual, the leftover trigger food (lemon cake) will go down the garbage disposal before I go to bed. Neal knows the routine, and is so supportive of me! He will grab one last slice beforehand, though, haha.

The first week of February is just about over, ladies. It will be spring before we know it! Here's to buying smaller summer clothes!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning All,

pattygirl - Congrats on reaching your year end goal. I agree that the key is finding what you can live with. You might be interested in a book I just finished reading, LIFE WITHOUT BREAD. You can eat bread, so I guess this was just thought to be a catchy title. The authors (one a physician who has treated over 10,000 patients with this WOE) focus on the health benefits of Low Carb Nutrition & only give weight loss a small chapter near the end of the book. They believe that not only diabetes, but other auto-immune disorders respond well to this WOE. They do a good job of making complicated body processes understandable. One very interesting thing they said was that before insulin or any diabetic meds were available, empirical evidence showed that eating around 72 gms utilizable carbs was a good amount for a case of uncomplicated Type 2 to be managed/controlled. They also said that limiting carbs further yields no advantage. I like to cook simple as well & I love to use my crockpot. Some of my favorites are 1)dump in half a package of boneless skinless fzn chicken breasts,1- 2 cans rotels (how hot do you want it) & 1-2 cans yellow hominy & just let it rip, 2) a moderately fat cut of roast beef rubbed with chilli spices is good as is with a salad & veggie side or added to pintos & canned tomatoes for chili, or wrapped in a tortilla & sprinkled with cheese, 3)a few potatoes, pork loin roast & sauerkraut, & 4) pork loin roast rubbed with garlic & cumin powders & salt & then pour the juice of at least 4 limes over it all & serve topped with quacamole. I just make sure that the protein to carb ratio is heavily weighted toward the protein. Like you, if I don't count carbs, I end up eating more than is good for me.

Lou - That Pizza Omelet sounds so good. A definite must try. I may try it for dinner today, but willl have to sub ham for the pepperoni if I do. One of the things I like about the recipes you are creating is they are what I'd call Tasty Simplicity. Too bad you can't enjoy the chili from your co-op meal, but I guess it would be difficult to know for sure what's in it.

Jane - I like that quote & yes I'm glad to be at "maintenance hard". Spring is looking a lot closer & isn't DST only about a month away? My fingers are getting cramped up, so I'd better stop typing now.

Everyone have a great day & God bless.

Last edited by joyful retiree; 02-07-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I like the quote too, and will aim for 'maintenance hard". The last time I lost weight, it was the maintenance that I failed - I just didn't get it that maintenance doesn't mean " well that's over with, now I can back to normal" normal being my bad bad bad eating habits. After reading all of the posts here I don't think that I am a true carb counter I follow the glycemic index and limit my carb intake to fruit, veggies and maybe 1 piece of multigrain bread at breakfast and something like a very small (1/3 cup) serving of a potato or rice/grain medely for dinner. Sometimes just one of the bread or rice choices for the day. but I don't actually count grams of carbs - I find points frustrating enough.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #110  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Hey, ladies! Just checking in. I haven't been doing too good the last week. I don't know why, but whenever I get to one of my goals or near it (this goal is 239 that I am near, not even at) I start doing bad. I wish I knew why I did, what I do to myself. Now, I will get my stuff together and start back at it, but it seems like every time I slip and then re-start, it's like I have to retrain myself all over again. It would just be so much easier if I just stayed on plan. Anyway, back to counting carbs and cals today. Shooting for less than 100 g's of carbs and about 1500 calories. I seriously need to get going on this "Mount Everest" of mine.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Good morning friends!

HadEnough--I am just like you. I don't know what keeps me from moving forward either. I think a big part for me is that I am actually pretty happy at my current weight. My clothes fit, my labs are text book perfect & I'm pretty happy with how I eat. When I look at the actual number on the scale and when I see myself naked I KNOW I need to lose more weight. But, with my clothes on, I look really good. Maybe I should spend more time naked on the scale and in front of the mirror Please stick around, I think we could really be a help to each other

TeaGranny--it is hard. I'm chosing my 'hard' too. I think I do finally have my head wrapped around that concept and it's actually very comforting. So, whether I'm losing or not, just maintaining my current weight is still work and regardless of what I do, this is work I will have to do for the rest of my life. I hope that made sense!

joyfull retiree--Yes, you hit the nail on the head-simple & tasty is my mantra! Now that I'm an empty nester I really don't care to cook all that much but I always say, 'I'm a good assembler'

Jane--I didn't really care for the SF jello smoothie . One more week and I can have my berries, till then I'd rather do without.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!
Lou
Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #112  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Smile Six meals daily under 300 calories?

I read somewhere that we need to eat six meals daily, all under 300 calories, all combined properly and in proper proportions. (1/4 protein, 1/4 starch, 1/4 veggie) Has anyone else seen that? The theory is that our body will not use more calories than that every 3 hours, so anything extra will be stored. Also read that we shouldn't eat for at least 2 hours before bed - digestion slows so much that any food just sits and is absorbed? Makes sense to me.

The March edition of Prevention has an article on the "Active Calorie Diet" - very interesting! You can also read about it on prevention dot com/active calorie diet. "Active" caloric foods are (of course) lean meat, green veggies, fibrous fruits, hot spicy spices, etc...

I read the label on the can of nuts (dried fruits and nuts which I ate the almonds from) Sugar was 2nd on the ingredients list after almonds!!!

NewCreation - I'm so glad you are happy with you! It's such a great feeling that you should bask in it! When you're ready to lose more, then you'll pick up the losing again.

Some great quotes I've found on this site:

"I deserve to be thin, feel good about myself, and not set myself up to feel terrible tomorrow." The Beck Diet Solution

"I have never, ever, not even one time regretted not eating something. Never. Not once. Turns out telling yourself “NO” feels marvelous."

"No deprivation passing up on *those foods*. The deprivation is EATING them and remaining overweight."

"You've got to raise your standards; requiring more from yourself. Challenge yourself. Push yourself. Work past the discomfort. Every time you do it, it gets easier and easier" - Rockinrobin

Last edited by Gwen; 02-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

joyful retiree Thanks for sharing with me about the book. I was reading it out loud and my DH said "O no, another book".lol He doesn't really care if I get it since he has his things he buys. What caught my eye was the 72 g carbs. I had 95 carbs and about 1500 cals yesterday. The good news is I was down 2 lbs this morning and my BP was excellent, but my fasting BS was way up there. However, I don't think I'm a person who can eat a bedtime snack. I had already decided to cut back on the carbs and I'm trying the 72 g today after reading your post. I also loved your food ideas and intend to try them. DH will like a few of them as well.

Gwen Thanks for the heads up of the sugar in the nuts. I'll have to watch that. In fact, I had peanuts last night before I went to bed and wondered if that was why my BS was so high. I'm going to go check the bottle as soon as I get through here.

HadEnough & ANewCreation I have noticed that I do the same thing when I get down below 210. And I'm not really sure why. I'm not satisfied with where I am. I'm thinking that I've gotten below 200 and even got down as low as 150 lbs before and gained the weight back. The last time I got down to the 160s 8 years ago and put it back on. I've often thought that I'm afraid of failing again. I finally hit 209.5 this morning. So now I'm going to work at getting below 200. I'm hoping we can be supportive enough for each other here that we can get over these hurdles we face.

Jane I also love the quote. Hope you don't mind, but I took it and printed it on a nice pretty 8 x 10 piece of paper and set it in the kitchen where I plan my meals to inspire me.

Tea Granny I think it is great you can do that the way you do. So don't feel bad about your woe. I really had intended to do that and did when I first started the WW pts+ program. I did fine as long as I stayed with that, but I have a tendency to over do the carbs even or maybe I should say especially the fruit. I recently told my doc that I could easily be a fruitaholic. I think that is because my Mama didn't care for fruit so we didn't eat it and our veggies were limited because Daddy didn't like them. Mama did but wouldn't fix them since he didn't. When I went to live with my Daddy's aunt when I was grown, she ate both fruit and veggies and I found out that I absolutely love them. If I can get control of them, I will gladly go back to eating them. I think fruit plays such an important place in our nutrition and health. I had a man who owned a health food store tell me once that veggies work like a broom and fruit like a mop to keep our system clean. So I very much plan to get control of them and eat them again. Spring will be coming up and great choices which I don't want to miss.

I'm having to go back and read a page a day to catch up and it will take time, but I love the way y'all share what you eat etc. I think we have a terrific group going here. Thanks Jane for starting it.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #114  
GmaTo8

Since some members have slow internet servers, I like to begin a new thread at about 100 posts. So let's hop on over to Age 50+ Counters Club #2. See you there!
Closed Thread