Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default Sticky Brown Rice

I had to share this with folks who have trouble with sticky brown rice. I never had the problem with white rice but I switched over to brown rice a few years ago. I've had sticky brown rice with every attempt until today. This morning I cooked it in my large cast iron pan and it turned out beautiful! No stickness, every kernel is separated and tender. I don't know what why cast iron made such a difference, I cooked it in a stainless steel/copper bottom pan before. I have actually impressed myself, ouch! I hurt my arm trying to pat myself on the back.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

What kind of brown rice have you been using? I always use the Uncle Ben's and have never had a problem just following the package instructions.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #3  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I have had mixed results with brown rice but Uncle Ben's is very good. I also like the parboiled brown rice. You cook it like pasta and drain the water off. It cooks up in about 15-20 minutes and fluffs up nicely. I don't use white rice any more so I use the brown rice for every rice dish I make.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

me too, never use the white rice any more. I just like the brown rice better. Who knew? I never have any problems cooking it either, but I use uncel ben's too.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Okay, I'm not 50+, but I had to comment.

I only eat brown rice and I was always under the impression that stickiness or dryness had to do with the kind of rice you are cooking (and I don't mean brown or white.) Long grain should be drier and short grain is sticky, medium grain would be somewhere in the middle. I believe it has to do with different starch to protein ratios that different rices have.

That being said, I think the best type of pan to cook brown rice on the stove is cast iron. It heats quickly and it holds the heat better. Plus, if you are making basmati, using cast iron is the only way to get the traditional crunchy bits on the bottom. I make my Japanese style short grain in a rice cooker, so it's very sticky and soft.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #6  
Bobbi

I'll have to look again in the grocery store for "From scratch" Ben's rice. We have many types of Ben's rice but they are all preboiled and seasoned rice. I use Mahatma natural whole grain rice that has to cook for 45 minutes. (long grain, I doubled the recipe) We spoil our chickens every morning with cooked brown rice, green or black grapes and shredded cabbage all mixed together. I make up packettes of it to last a few days, the chicken love it and they reward us with very large brown eggs.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Lucky chickens!!!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #8  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Zenor, I've been known to cook any type of rice into oblivion.

Bobbi, can I be one of your chickens?
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #9  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

OOohh

I learned how to bake brown rice in the oven on 3FC in the last month or so. If you're baking something else anyway, you really aren't using more energy. The rice comes out great!!!

Try this http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthre...ked+Brown+Rice
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I misunderstood the thread, and was hoping for a recipe for sticky brown rice.

I love thai sticky rice, but I was told you can't make it with brown rice (because it still has the bran layer, which keeps the grains separated) and just never gets sticky enough to clump.

Any tips (the rice you used and how you made it) to make it sticky?

Last edited by kaplods; 09-29-2008 at 08:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #11  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I think the length of the grain makes the difference, but it also helps if you saute the rice in a little oil before you boil it, boil it without stirring it and then steam it for a period with the heat off. I saute the rice in oil or butter, depending upon the flavor I am going for, simmer it for 30 minutes without stirring it, make sure there is enough water in the rice before I turn it off, then put a lid on it, turn it off and let it steam for 30 minutes. It comes out tender and fluffy and you just fluff it with a fork before serving it. I think quick heat transfer of the cast iron skillet is a good trick, too.

I am wondering about those chickens, do you give them other grains? I love to have chickens and I have always been concerned about their diet...so corn based usually.
Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #12  
Bobbi

Hi Everyone

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me, and
we all could probably use more calm in our lives.

Some doctor on TV this morning said that the way to achieve inner
Peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around
my house to see things I'd started and hadn't finished and, before
leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a
bottle of shhhardonay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of vocka, a pockage
of Prunglies, tha mainder of bot Prozic and Valum scriptins, the res
of the Chesescke an a box a chocolets. Yu haf no idr who fkin gud I fel.

Peas sen dis orn to dem yu fee ar in ned ov inr pece
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #13  
Bobbi

No, I'm really not a drunk..........that was a joke!
About our chickens, we have 6 Orpington hens that are the sweetest things. They come running everytime we step out the back door to see what we have for them. During the summer we give them lots of lettuce, beet tops, grasses, etc. but they also have regular chicken feed. I give them kitchen scraps all year long, carrot or potato peelings, outer layers of cabbage, lettuce etc.
Quote:
I am wondering about those chickens, do you give them other grains? I love to have chickens and I have always been concerned about their diet...so corn based usually.
Sheri
WebRover...thanks for the recipe for oven rice, I'll try that next time since I make so much of it. Sounds like an easy recipe that doesn't have to be watched.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I misunderstood the thread, and was hoping for a recipe for sticky brown rice.

I love thai sticky rice, but I was told you can't make it with brown rice (because it still has the bran layer, which keeps the grains separated) and just never gets sticky enough to clump.

Any tips (the rice you used and how you made it) to make it sticky?
I have a recipe book that calls for sweet brown rice, and says it's a sticky rice that you can use for sushi. I found some at Whole Foods, haven't tried it yet. I don't have much desire for white rice anymore.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

While in Asheville, I had something called "forbidden rice". Black (no, not wild rice, this is really a rice). It was delicious and quite high in fibre too.

Couldn't find it in my stores but I did pick up a small package of something called Lundberg Black Japonica Rice (from California according to the package) which says it is a 'grourmet blend of black and mahogany rice'.

Haven't cooked it yet because I didn't want to waste it on my cold-jaded taste buds, but maybe today will be the day. I'll let you know how it is when I do try it.

Anybody else already familiar with it?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote