Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 142/166/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Please Help... Need Encouragement + Advice!!

Hi there! I'm new to this community but desperately need some advice and encouragement...

I am 38 years old (no kids), 5'8" and currently weigh 166 lbs, which is up from 142 when I got married 4 years ago. My husband and I are going on a cruise in 55 days and I was hoping to lose 10 lbs before then. I started working towards that goal 4 weeks ago (when we were 95 days away from cruise) thinking that 10 lbs in almost 100 days was very feasible. However, nearly 5 weeks in, I have lost absolutely nothing and depending on what day it is, am up 2-4 lbs. And yes, I know about all the different reasons weight fluctuates , but I would still have expected to be down at LEAST a pound or two! My clothes aren't even feeling much looser at all, so I don't think I'm losing inches either. Maybe centimeters... lol

I keep a daily food journal and stay within a 1200 - 1500 calorie range per day - AFTER counting back in calories burned working out. I do a 30 min high intensity elliptical workout 4-5 days/week (with wrist weights for added resistance) followed up with a 30 min brisk walk and some toning exercises (squats, lunges, pushups, standing side crunches). I allow one rest day per week and the one other day that I am not doing elliptical, I do a 45 min walk plus toning. I have also started doing a 15-20 min power walk during my lunch 3 days/week.

I have cut a lot out of my diet (was eating fast food almost every workday) and eat small meals/snacks throughout the day. A typical day looks like this:

Oatmeal or protein bar for breakfast
Low fat Greek yogurt cut topped with whole grain granola
Snack pack of plain almonds
Tuna (prepared) with 6 whole wheat crackers
Turkey w/ pepper jack cheese (I roll them together - no bread)
Celery or carrots w/ 2 TBSP peanut butter
A fruit of some kind
Gluten free mini rice cakes or peanut butter protein bites
2 TBSP chocolate chips to get my sweet fix

I very rarely deviate from this since I have the calories down to a science. If I eat out, I always choose something low calorie/low-fat from the menu (usually salad) and replace an item or two from the list above of the same calorie amount. I do have one cheat meal a week - Taco Tuesday! But I still keep my portions down and will add a little extra to my workout that day to help offset the splurge a bit.

I have almost cut soda out completely, except 1-2 diet Dr. Peppers a week (can). I do not drink coffee and only hot tea with honey occasionally. I drink at least 10 cups of water a day and usually 4 of those with lemon. No alcohol except a glass of red wine on special occasions, but none actually since I started this regimen.

Sorry this is so long... just trying to give you as much info as possible to give you a good frame of reference. I am SO discouraged and now 10 lbs in 55 days seems impossible!! I am tired of being hangry, counting calories religiously every.single.day., working out and not seeing any result! I was so frustrated this weekend that I ate a big piece of chocolate cake!

What am I doing wrong?? Am I missing something? Eating too little? Too much? Not working out enough? Any advice or encouragement would be so very appreciated!! And please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place or not following correct guidelines!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lassieashley; 09-19-2017 at 03:16 PM.
lassieashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172.6/172.6/135

Height: 5'4"

I would like to offer advice but I only know what works for me. I don't count calories exactly - I use the weight watchers point system. I only lose weight if I log everything (even my 4oz of coconut water in the morning). I can't imagine why your body is holding on to the weight and I hate to throw this out there but are you sure you're not pregnant?

Good Luck. Try to enjoy the cruise even if you don't lose what you hope to lose.
Salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

For me, your diet would be too high in carbohydrates. I fall into the camp that believes macros matter as much as calories, and I lose weight far more quickly if I reduce my carbs. There's science behind it that I won't bore you with, but that's what I'd try is tweaking the macros- more protein and fat, less carbs. I'd also cut out the processed food and make my food from scratch using whole ingredients.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 142/166/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks so much! I am not pregnant and guess I should mention that I am not on any medications either. I have wondered if my carbs are still to high, but have read conflicting views on what is too high and what your body needs - especially with working out as often as I do. But I think I will modify my intake and see if that makes any difference!

I will for sure enjoy the cruise even if I am still carrying around these extra pounds!
lassieashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Good luck! Hope your cruise is a blast!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote