Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/165/140

Height: 5'6"

Default My Period has got me Ravenous for food!!

I am trying to stick with a 1,400 calorie diet and this is my very first attempt at weight loss. I have lost 14 pounds in just 2 weeks. I exercise 5 days a week, but as soon as I started my period....I want to eat! I am starving and I had never experienced this during the last 2 weeks. I want some Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp. How do you all cope with crazy period cravings? I went up to 1,500 calories today because I felt I had to, but I hope you all can help me regain control.
BrisSissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/172/153

Height: 5"3

I found the less I gave into period cravings the less they happened over the last 6 months, cravings in general.

The first month or two they were so bad all the time, so work through it.

I personally like eating something warm and comforting, you could try something like mashed carrots and parsnips which are around 50 calories for a good sized portion, I have them with chicken and mixed leaves and balsamic vinegar with paprika/chilli type spices all over my meal.

Filling up on food like that helps me, and low calorie or no calorie hot drinks and a hot water bottle.
mynameisyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #3  

Typically I allow myself to eat at maintenance for a day or two during that time. I don't let myself binge, I don't allow a ton of junk food into my diet that week, though I do have a few snacks. I find that doing that is easier than resisting the cravings. Also, you mention this is your first attempt at weight loss. This might be too much to do at one time. I recommend starting slow, cutting out soda. Spend the first few weeks tracking everything but not really limiting yourself. Let the discipline and routine settle, then slowly restrict your calories. Doing this gives your body time to adjust and you may find it easier to deal with cravings.
gingeretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/165/140

I guess I should have clarified. I was 260 back in August. I had the Morena birth control removed and gave up soda. I lost 15 pounds making these changes before I took on this diet on New Year's Day. Today I am 19 more pounds lighter at 225. I am also seeing a doctor who is coaching me through my weight loss and monitoring my progress. She measures my BMI and even pulls out the tape measure to measure me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingeretta View Post
Typically I allow myself to eat at maintenance for a day or two during that time. I don't let myself binge, I don't allow a ton of junk food into my diet that week, though I do have a few snacks. I find that doing that is easier than resisting the cravings. Also, you mention this is your first attempt at weight loss. This might be too much to do at one time. I recommend starting slow, cutting out soda. Spend the first few weeks tracking everything but not really limiting yourself. Let the discipline and routine settle, then slowly restrict your calories. Doing this gives your body time to adjust and you may find it easier to deal with cravings.
BrisSissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Losing 7lb/week is very rapid weight loss. Rapid weight loss is a lot harder to do, more likely to mess with your head, and less likely to work out long term. I'm not surprised you're getting cravings! You could try raising your calories for a week or so, see how you do. You need to be on a plan you can sustain comfortably long-term, including when things aren't going so well. And if you need to eat at maintenance sometimes, that's absolutely fine. What is damaging is having a rigid plan where you feel horribly guilty if you diverge the slightest bit from it, which leads to bingeing and starving and such.

How much are you exercising?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #6  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

If you are craving something in particular, try to "fill up" on salad or something and then have a small portion of your desired food. Have a bunch of broccoli before your Panda Express, that kind of thing.

I'm also ravenous during my TOM. *shrugs*
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/182/140

I'm currently in the same position! TOM has occurred and I need all the food! I've found foods rich in iron that are still nutritious really help curve the cravings. Which makes sense because iron is in blood and you're bleeding constantly for days on end (Seriously, if this was happening out of any other part of your body, doctors would be calling it a medical emergency and putting you on an IV).

Definitely agree with tinneranne2, have a salad or fruit before eating, limiting you have having terrible foods.

The only other thing I can think of is try and recreate fast food at home, then you can limit what goes into it and how much you serve yourself. It may not be as good, but it may kick the cravings. I'm sure if you search Pinterest, they have lots of copycat recipes.

Hope it helps!
GingerKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I wonder how this relates to the symptoms that accompany periods for many people? For instance, if you get heavy bleeding (no personal experience here), iron will be a thing. Indeed, if you lose weight too fast, you are likely to deplete your iron stores, and it's even more important to get them checked by a doctor. I get breast pain, anxiety/depression and migraines with mine. It's important for me to keep my blood sugar stable, so I make sure my calories don't go too low, that I'm eating meals on schedule, and if possible wholegrains and good proteins. My partner has noticed that on days when I'm having trouble with my mental health, my mood is really obviously better after I've eaten, although I've also noticed the same about him, so that isn't just about sex hormones. I get generalised munchies more than specific ones, I think. Pak choi, a nice leafy green vegetable, is something I get cravings for on and off anyway. Chocolate kind of goes without saying, but I eat dark chocolate (I'm vegan) and can't tolerate much sugar, so chocolate binges don't happen.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote