Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #1  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking BiWeekly Declutter Thread May 2-May 15/16- *New* and *Improved*(like us!)

Hello To all the Cleaner-up-ers, the Re-Decorators and Re-Locators of things. Welcome to the decluttering thread where we aim to make our spaces including cars, drawers, under the beds, closets, apartments, patios, garages, houses-in-whole-or-in-part, laundry rooms, basements and backyards livable, enjoyable want-to-be-in-able spaces. Our environments contribute to how we feel. Let's make positive changes for ourselves.

This is a new 2 week thread. Let's see if that's a good fit for us! Post your decluttering goals and update as you wish. Welcome.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #2  
persist

Hello.

I am *almost* back to "normal". My schedule is almost settled down and will be once the farmers' market is underway this weekend coming.

BUT... we've been having a cool Spring so the landlord hasn't been close to coming by to turn off the heat so I still need to declutter in here and wow it has totally gotten away from me. I have several piles in all the usual places: in front of the tv, on the chaise, in the hall, in the dining room. About the only place I don't have anything is in the kitchen! And the dishes are getting washed and put away regularly and the sink is always accessible. YAY for PROGRESS.

Other areas that need attention: the bathroom, all parts of it. Bedroom with the pile of clothes in front of the dresser drawer again! My friend passed on clothes to me a month ago and these are in that pile. Argh. On the plus side, DH fixed the bed and now we can have under the bed storage for blankets and comforters. Our tiny closet can't handle much.

I guess the tiny bathroom closet also could use a makeover.

This list will in no way be done in two weeks. BUT it's good for me to be conscious of it.

My priority this week and next is to "make my apartment look normal for when the landlord comes in" so he doesn't get on my case. I'll figure out what that means and post a detailed to-do list by the end of the day.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-02-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Micro step: I'm bringing one book to a local mini-library today. "A journey of 5280 books begins with a single book."
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #4  
persist

Excellent Billblueeyes. I look forward to your updates on that!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #5  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

Today, I got a monkey off my back!! I was working on invitations (print, labels, return labels, postage) for an event in two weeks. I woke up at 5am and thought, let's tackle it and get it in the mail. So, merged, printed, labeled, posted, licked, mailed - 96 invites ... all by 830AM! yee haw!!

Like you, onebyone, I want to tackle the bedroom and purge the clothes too big (such a great sound to that) and find a home for the ones that fit (for now). I also need to keep up on the dishes. SO! These are my two areas for this week! I CAN DO THIS!!

onebyone: farmers market? do you garden? or do you administrate the FM? A bi-weekly thread --- let's give it a go!

BillieBlueEyes: are those "mini-libraries" the little glass house outside people's homes? If yes -- how do those work?

to ALL!

Last edited by BelovedWarrior; 05-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.
BelovedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Hi there! I want to join in with ya'll! My house is a wreck and full of clutter. I keep telling myself that I'm going to spend like 10 mins a day decluttering, but it just doesn't happen. I did get our "bonus" room cleaned this weekend and threw away two bags of trash/old toys out of there. It looks so nice! I keep going in there, and looking around because it looks better than the rest of my house.
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've been waiting for the new thread to join! I find my clutter and my binging tend to hold hands.

I was doing well the last couple weeks in picking a very very small area to declutter - but starting each day with going back and making sure the areas I had done before were still clear and cleaned. That fell apart a bit last week so this week I will get the stuff i did before back and then each day pick a small area to declutter

Last edited by ennay; 05-02-2016 at 08:21 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome ennay and workinghardatlosing!

Thanks for the new thread, onebyone!

Yesterday I got home from work. Was sitting on the porch looking at how tall the lawn was. Finally, the snow had melted on it. I read BelovedWarriors post and got up, fired up the mower and just "got it done". I just let the pup out it looks so nice. Work continues in the house as I would like to have all accomplished before sunrise tomorrow morning so I can spend the day in the yard. Yesterday I scrubbed the shower/tub while showering. Got out and did the bathroom sink. Downstairs bathroom clean I did it last week.

I had a bonus while mowing the lawn. I was having a time getting mower restarted after gassing it and a high school student asked if I needed help. I said sometimes and we were going to exchange phone numbers. He kept asking and the lightbulb went on. I asked if he'd like to make $10 hauling some stuff out of my vehicles. Sure. He hauled all 6 giant bags of soil for me and brought all my vacuums/project stuff to the front porch. I happily let go of my $$ and crossed that off my list!

Have a great day everyone! I'm headed off to chores!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedWarrior View Post
BillieBlueEyes: are those "mini-libraries" the little glass house outside people's homes? If yes -- how do those work?
In our area they're made of wood with a clear front door - about a cubic foot in size.

The rules are simple: take what you'd like; leave what you'd like. It's more like a FREE box than a 'library' where you're required to return the same book that you borrowed. Yesterday I dropped off a book. In this case I had originally taken it from this mini-library, read, and was returning. Yay!

But I picked up three books appropriate for my 7 month old DGD. The good news is that they go to a different place that the bookcase that I'm trying to reduce.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
He kept asking and the lightbulb went on. I asked if he'd like to make $10 hauling some stuff out of my vehicles. Sure. He hauled all 6 giant bags of soil for me and brought all my vacuums/project stuff to the front porch. I happily let go of my $$ and crossed that off my list!
As I was reading this I said out loud, "ah, isn't that awesome!" I'm so happy that the high school student just happened to stop by. Awesome work in the house too! WTG!

Last edited by BelovedWarrior; 05-04-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #11  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Thanks for the two-week thread ... This will allow me to feel I'm making a bit more progress. I'll leave town at the end of this one and join back in for the June one. My goals:
- STILL to drop off the Goodwill but it's been moved to my trunk, but I forget it there. Need to jot a note and get that out. Credit that I keep adding to it, though.
- Deep clean of LR and DR - did vacuuming and clutter pickup (mainly mine - magazines, hair band, shoes) ... but left the dusting for toward this weekend when in-laws come for Mother's Day.
- Keep kitchen cleaned each day.
- Weed more of side garden. Ground is wet (raining for three days), so when it lets up, will be primetime.
- NEED to get the mulch and get that down. Most likely toward weekend. My drop dead date for this is before I leave for my work trip.
-
Mine always seem the same.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

This morning I arose to too much "stuff". I felt a bit overwhelmed because I couldn't do one thing until I did the next. This pattern surfaced in several different areas. I sat and finally decided to deal with the kitchen first which did require plants being moved back to the greenhouse. My original chore was to declutter the refrigerator and attached freezer. It turned into a bigger project because there was freezer stuff upstairs that needed to go to the basement freezer and vice versa. I just did it. My sis is on a trip and left me a bag of veggies. When I opened it I was reminded why I, personally, don't take clothing items from others. Much of what she gave me was "stuff" I didn't need/use or already had. Kind of like when I take clothes from others. Then it becomes "mine" and my responsibility to deal with it. I will make a plan to use the food items. Credit.

Today I will work in the yard a bit. I took the shovel with me and walked around digging on weeds I'd like to take out. I think it will make it easier when I go back out to just pull and bin them. We shall see.

The greenhouse fared well during our cold spell but I still don't have a watering or shading system in place. I did purchase some shadecloth last week and am waiting for some hooks to arrive in the mail to attach with. In the meantime I moved some starts back inside which were getting too much sun. It's all a learning process. I bought cucumber seeds last week, too, but they are floating around the house somewhere. I will find them today.

When I'm overwhelmed I just "do something". Every step moves me forward.

Best wishes all!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #13  

Okay -- so, I filled a box of clothes and a bunch of old mismatched socks. I set aside the clothes that fit now and have a few that will fit later. I was away from the house most of the day

So -- tomorrow:
Dishes
Pick up clothes and sort to wash
11:30 church (National Day of Prayer)
01:00 pickup friend drive 40 miles west to taste test a cheesecake for and event next week
Wash clothes
Head to Laundromat to dry & fold clothes
Purge more clothing - organize and put clothes away in dresser

I'm looking forward to Friday. It's suppose to be 81 here. I'm planning to get the weed weasel out and dig up the front and maybe plant some flowers.

I did purge one other thing today. I say this with somewhat of a heavy heart ... but it needed to be done. There was a friendship that was not very healthy for me --- and I put a stop to it! Decluttering is not just about papers and stuff, it can also be about emotional baggage... and I unloaded a crapload today! It will take some adjusting -- but I will be the better for it.

to all and have a great day!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #14  
persist

Exclamation Reporting in

So the car is getting its summer tires put on and I am home for the day. Tomorrow I start at the farmers' market for the market season and I cannot find the metal box that has all my sales stuff in it, including my beloved "square" used to make credit card sales via my phone. Yikes! IMPORTANT for the start of the market which also happens to be Mother's Day weekend. (I am an artist who sells ceramics, greeting cards, jewelry and paintings at the market.)

Since I need to find that box, which could be in my studio but I think I saw it here at home, I am calling this a decluttering day. I will move and search boxes, bins and bags looking for it and I will toss what is trash and put aside for donation what I no longer need or use. I am going to try to condense items and keep in mind that I want the living room area to look "normal". The weather is warming up and probably by next weekend the landlord will want in the apartment to turn off the heat and turn on the air conditioning.

I am starting now. Will report in as to my progress in an hour.

11:50 to 3:30:
Chaise is now clear of stuff
The floor in front of the tv is now clear
I have opened and looked in all but 5 boxes/bags for my square reader. So far, it's not here.
Dismantled/sorted/tossed from 5 bags and 3 boxes
Found more things to sell tomorrow (yay!)
Pulled out some supplies that were missing
Found all my printmaking tools that I replaced cause I couldn't find them and needed them. Now I have two good sets. That's not a bad thing.
Found all my brushes in their carry case. Yay. I have been using my second best brushes which are still good but my favorites are in the case.
Looked for my square reader in the boxes in the entry way and boxes under the kitchen table (not there)
sort through clothes pile in front of dresser and choose: toss/donate/keep Done, but will need to do again
Pulled out market stuff
Found my square credit card reader(yay)
TO DO: put away the good clothes

Last edited by onebyone; 05-06-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

onebyone, I hope you find your credit card swiper. At least you move forward in the process.

I've shifted to yard work vs housework. I still commit to keeping laundry and dishes kept up daily.

This morning I couldn't figure out where to start. So much to do. DH has decided to help me for one short project a day on my days off. We dug out a bed filled with grass. He dug I hauled. I timed it 30 minutes. Done. Got him to help me move a staircase and I dug out the weeds under it along with a stray rhubarb plant. Weed cloth put down and stairs back in place. Found a home for raspberry plants that need to go. They are in pots waiting for a pickup later. Installed my automatic vent in the greenhouse. Cant decide if its working right yet. The test will be if it closes come evening. Picked up all my tools. That's hard for me to do. I just want to walk away. I think I'm done for today. Took a shower and got cleaned up.

Altogether I spent 5 hours in the yard. That has to be enough for today.