Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #1  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Default My new found love of vegetables..

I had posted here a little while ago when I first really began to change my eating habits. I had never eaten most of the vegetables that people eat.. broccoli, peas, asparagus, peppers, squash.. none of those. I wanted to love veggies, I really did, but I was scared. Scared of wasting my money, time, and effort on making something I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.
However, I realized that most of the foods I was eating were over processed 'diet foods' and I was hungry a lot of the time. I knew vegetables were the key to eating a higher quantity of food and getting the most nutritional value out of my meals so I just decided to start trying them, even the ones that really scared me.. like broccoli and asparagus.
Things have changed! I consider it a mini-success of mine that for my birthday dinner instead of ordering french fries, or rice or something for my side I ordered snow peas and broccoli! Last night, as my snack I had green beans instead of chips or cookies. I actually crave healthy food now.

There was a time when carrots were the only veggie I could manage to sneak in my diet, but now I am just excited about what I'm going to try next. I'm really surprised at how much I actually enjoy these foods.

Anyway, I guess the point of this entry is to say that if I can become a veggie lover, anyone can.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #2  

Congratulations on making this change!

Your enthusiasm is infectious.

Personally, for me, my whole way of eating changed when I did this: I stopped counting calories and I told myself I would start consciously including more fruits/veggies in my diet. I told myself I would a) start by including three servings each day and work my way up to nine b) keep track of my daily servings and c) promise myself I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I had eaten the fruits/veggies I needed to.

At first I was quite stunned to realize there were many days when I went without eathing any fruits/veggies. How shocking is that? How could I not even take the time to eat a banana or drink orange juice?

But as time went on, the most amazing thing happened. I started enjoying finding ways to include fruits/veggies into my diet and I stopped craving complex carbs.

This one small change made all the difference.

WastedThermos, I'm glad it's working for you as well! Please post any tips you might have on how you work in your servings.
Scorpio Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #3  
Nox

I've always loved vegetables and fruits (my parents and grandparents were vegetable farmers, so heaven help me if I didn't love them!).

Something fun to try and a challenge to yourself may be to each week, make yourself buy and try a vegetable you have never eaten before - this is great especially if you have a farmers market nearby, or a really great fruit and veggie stand - perhaps even look up a vegetable and get some recipes before even buying it? Visit a foreign market in town if you have one, like the local Chinatown - there are fruits and veggies from other countries that we are not normally exposed to in grocery stores in North America that are really neat to try (though so many do look scary).

Myself, I try to stuff more vegetables into sandwiches than meats and cheese. I got DH to really like having cucumber on his lunch sandwiches. Trying different greens instead of lettuce also - like even spinach leaves on sandwiches. Adding sprouts adds fibre too - I loved the flavour of onion sprouts on a sandwich or salad. Too bad I have so much trouble finding them in the market.

Also, lots of vegetables taste really good grilled - we discovered that together this summer. A light marination with a small amount of balsamic vinegar, and some olive oil to keep it from burning on the grill, salt and pepper, and they were completely delicious - I did this with zucchini, peppers, eggplant, asparagus, yams, onions.

I have also replaced meat in certain recipes with some success - grilled portabello mushrooms that have been marinated, and served in a pita with feta cheese in place of a burger. Eggplant parmasan instead of veal or chicken. Tossing lots of fresh (or even frozen) veggies with minimal or no meat into a pasta with a low fat milk sauce thickened with a roux, and flavoured with a bit of parmasan for a nice pseudo alfredo.

If all else fails, I do cheat and throw a v-8 in the lunch once in a while too.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #4  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedThermos
However, I realized that most of the foods I was eating were over processed 'diet foods' and I was hungry a lot of the time. I knew vegetables were the key to eating a higher quantity of food and getting the most nutritional value out of my meals so I just decided to start trying them, even the ones that really scared me.. like broccoli and asparagus.
Things have changed! I consider it a mini-success of mine that for my birthday dinner instead of ordering french fries, or rice or something for my side I ordered snow peas and broccoli! Last night, as my snack I had green beans instead of chips or cookies. I actually crave healthy food now.
Yay for you! I've rediscovered veggies too and they are a major part of my eating plan. I usually have hot veggies with my meat, and then some raw spinach with dressing (very simple salad). I like veggies now.
FatVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #5  

I'm just trying to get back into the "veggie" thing. I used to eat them all of the time, raw, cooked, grilled, etc. etc.... but over the past few years, I've not eaten enough (and therefore ate other not-so-good things to take their place) and have gained and gained.... I know I need to eat more veggies!! I'm new to this site, and so far have enjoyed reading the posts and ideas from others!
mygabaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 AM   #6  
it's always something

Welcome to 3FC Hopefully, this veggie forum (as well as many others here) will help you start feeling the veggie love again Lizzie is a great example that it can be done.

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/196/170

Height: 5'4

you guys are so cool to read, you are really going to inspire me, I can just tell, just reading these I had to run upstairs and raid the fridge, for VEGETABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all ready cut up and waiting for me, so me and my dog Foxy are having a real feast. I am so glad I found you guys
homemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I went years without eating many veggies -- despite liking a number of them. I have slowly started to use and cook them more. I started with ones I knew I liked and could "cook": raw salads, broccoli and green beans. Then I cooked asparagus and spinach. That was fun! This past week I cooked acorn squash for the first time -- loved it!

We have a great produce market nearby and now when I go there I get excited by the possibilities!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #9  
LLV

I love veggies. I'll eat almost all of them, with the exception of things like greens. Collard greens, turnip greens, etc.

Gross
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #10  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Personally love veggies except carrots, just can't take that extra step and become vegetarians though. Love meat too.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #11  
Marathon Goddess

I made a realization at one point, I was talking about how many servings servings of fruits and veggies, you were supposed to eat and realized I wasnt getting even 7 servings in a week, not even one a day, how terrible is that, so hubby and I changed right then and there, we had to learn to cook with them and everything, but now we eat them all, and like them, we even have at least 1 vegetarian meal a week, I feel so much better and get sick so much less, since I changed my eating habits. Its taken a few years but I would say we eat them all now! And love them!! :-)
happytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #12  

new to this site , on WW is it true that most veggie, are no points? do you just add points to them if you ,let say but butter on them? thanks
jackie o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

You might try asking that question in the WW forum if someone doesn't answer it here.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #14  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Hey veggies are so great I am so glad you are enjoying them. Try roasting some carrots, peppers, garlic minced, aspargus, anything in the oven at 375 for about 30 min. with olive oil dripped over it all a bit of salt and pepper. You can add low carb pasta when its all done and have a wonderful meal. THis was one of Rachel Rays 30 min meals. Enjoy! Any veggies can work add some mushrooms as well. Try making some eggplant parm. I pre bake my dipped eggplant no oil just cooking spray on baking dish.
cacmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #15  

Hi Jackie O--Most vegetables are 0 points for WW (exceptions are starchy ones, like peas, winter squash, potatoes). I think any vegetable is allowed on Core. You do have to count the toppings separately if they aren't core foods (i.e., if you eat a serving of acorn squash and you put maple syrup on it, count the points for the syrup but the squash is Core).
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote