Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #1  
Ugly Fat Chick

Question Does low carb really work?

Hey it is me again. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the whole low carb thing and if it worked. I am trying to find a diet that is right for me.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04 PM   #2  

I read something interesting a few weeks ago that totally changed my dieting approach. It said that lo carb diets didnt work but higher protein diets did. This doesnt seem to make sense but it does when you think about it...If you eat a higher protein diet..protein is more satiating. It also helps keep your blood sugar stable. So eat carbs but make sure you balance with protein.
For example instead of a slice of cake alone, have protein with it - say a glass of milk.

Many people that forgo carbs tend to lose it...and gain the weight back. Note I did not say all.

But if you eat carbs and more protein..you may find that you stay in control. The study showed that folks eating higher protein ate quite a bit less each day in total calories because they were satisfied.

Anyway its working for me! I upped my protein. ..and this keeps me fuller so I eat less and stay in control. BUT I did not give up carbs.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Bottom line...it's calories that count. The whole premise of the "Low Carb" diets as well as the "Low Fat" diets from the 1990's is that one would eat less. Example - for low fat, originally one would eat a lot more veggies and fruits and lean protein, and for low carb one would eschew most of the processed high calorie stuff such as cookies, french fries, white bread etc. Of course what happened is that book authors, food marketers, and dieters tried to find ways around that - with Low-fat/fat free new products like fat-free/low fat cookies and ice cream and all that came out, and lots of folks bought and consumed mass quanitites because they were 'fat free' not paying attention to the fact that (for example) the caloric difference between, say, the Fat-Free Fig Newton and the regular Fig Newton was slight indeed...what was worse was that people who normally did NOT consume stuff like cookies and chips started buying and eating the fat-free stuff with (they thought) impunity. In fact, I remember a show on PBS called "Eat Smart!" back in the early 1990's that said point blank that the only reason sugar was bad for you was because it causes tooth decay!! (I'm SERIOUS!!!)

As far as low carb - same thing - the marketers started rolling out products and making up terms like "net carbs". I saw MANY posts from people eating stuff like protein bars (candy bars) and raving about how they had so few 'net carbs'. But when you look at the label, the calorie content would be the equivalent (or MORE!) of a regular Snickers bar. (let's not even GO INTO the price factor).

Sure, add more protein to your diet (BTW milk actually is higher in CARBS than it is in protein...) but more importantly, watch your calories and try and eat a balanced, healthy diet (a good place to start would be the new US Government Dietary Guidelines for Americans which can be accessed at www.nutrition.gov) and get plenty of exercise - in other words, focus on permanent healthy lifestyle changes.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #4  

The author of the book I read noted that the milk carbs did not effect the blood sugar the way that other carbs do and thus counts them as a protein ..(this is the Insulin Resistance Diet book) ..
I have found her method of linking and balancing works well for me in keeping my head in control. In the past I would lose it with carbs by not consuming enough protein (which I realize now )

Yes bottomline its calories, I agree with you.

However staying in control to eat less calories can be difficult for some (as it was for me if I ate too many carbs).
Old 08-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Bottom line...it's calories that count. The whole premise of the "Low Carb" diets as well as the "Low Fat" diets from the 1990's is that one would eat less. Example - for low fat, originally one would eat a lot more veggies and fruits and lean protein, and for low carb one would eschew most of the processed high calorie stuff such as cookies, french fries, white bread etc. Of course what happened is that book authors, food marketers, and dieters tried to find ways around that - with Low-fat/fat free new products like fat-free/low fat cookies and ice cream and all that came out, and lots of folks bought and consumed mass quanitites because they were 'fat free' not paying attention to the fact that (for example) the caloric difference between, say, the Fat-Free Fig Newton and the regular Fig Newton was slight indeed...what was worse was that people who normally did NOT consume stuff like cookies and chips started buying and eating the fat-free stuff with (they thought) impunity. In fact, I remember a show on PBS called "Eat Smart!" back in the early 1990's that said point blank that the only reason sugar was bad for you was because it causes tooth decay!! (I'm SERIOUS!!!)

As far as low carb - same thing - the marketers started rolling out products and making up terms like "net carbs". I saw MANY posts from people eating stuff like protein bars (candy bars) and raving about how they had so few 'net carbs'. But when you look at the label, the calorie content would be the equivalent (or MORE!) of a regular Snickers bar. (let's not even GO INTO the price factor).

Sure, add more protein to your diet (BTW milk actually is higher in CARBS than it is in protein...) but more importantly, watch your calories and try and eat a balanced, healthy diet (a good place to start would be the new US Government Dietary Guidelines for Americans which can be accessed at www.nutrition.gov) and get plenty of exercise - in other words, focus on permanent healthy lifestyle changes.

You are so right on!!! No matter what diet you follow calories count, be it SBD, low fat, low cal, or like mine the right complex carbs....

No matter which way you mix it up...calories count. Even my 1 cup of brown rice has 250 calories, and my oatmeal is 200 including milk. + 50 for raisens....

For dinner I had a protein and a veggie, I even try to measure my olive oil if not I use too much, so I try to stick to the 1 tablespoon rule, or it is so easy to use 200 calories of olive oil easily.

Even non fat or low cal mayo, I use the tablespoon rule, I tend not to count cucumbers and the like though....

Last edited by Sugar Free Girl; 08-18-2005 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Tablespoon rule???
Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #7  

When counting calories I use the tablespoon to measure fats, like Olive Oil, mayo, oils in general or fats and sauces....

Last edited by Sugar Free Girl; 08-18-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I'm sorry I missed this thread. I think I'm going to be the dissenting voice. Calories count but only to a certain point. And yes, low carb diets work IF YOU STICK TO THEM. The reason people gain their weight back is because they go off their diet, just ask anyone on this forum. Your body does not process all calories exactly the same, proteins, fats, and carbs are all handled differently by the bodies metabolic processes which is why calories in doesn't always = calories out. I keep meticulous journaling records and can tell you that I can eat between 1800-2000 calories a day on a low carb diet and still lose weight. That would never happen on a low fat diet. I also frequent the Protein Power website and there are some there who eat considerably more calories (around 3000) than that without gaining so I do believe this is true. Is there a calorie ceiling? Yes, I'm sure there is but it is probably more than I would likely consume in a day anyway. I find this to be a much more satisfying way to eat and I don't feel deprived. I have tried WW in the past, and yes I lost weight, but as you know that program becomes more and more restrictive as you progress and eventually I couldn't take it anymore. Low carb diets are their most restrictive in the beginning and become more liberal later on which is how most people tend to eat anyway which seems to make more sense.

Manicgurl-you are wise to think about choosing a plan you can stick to for life because that is the only way you will be able to lose the weight you need to lose and keep it off. Low fat and low carb diets are both effective ways to lose weight, the important thing is finding a plan you can stick to. There are many quality low carb plans to choose from--Atkins is not the only low carb diet (and IMHO not even the best one) so definately shop around if you decide on low carb.
Closed Thread