View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
a broad abroad
i luv my dog!

I was always under the impression that its a type of reduced fat cream cheese. It has always available, even before the term LowFat entered the supermarket. It is sold in bricks like cream cheese right next to them in the market.

After seeing your question, I found this online:
* Cream cheese is similar to French Neufchatel in that it is made from cow's milk, but differs in that it is unripened and often contains emulsifiers to lend firmness and lengthen shelf-life. USDA law requires cream cheese must contain at least 33 percent fat and no more than 55 percent water, although there are low-fat and nonfat varieties now on the market.
* Neufchâtel is a name used in the United States for a softer form of cream cheese that contains 20 to 33% fat, although the cheese bears no relationship to French Neufchâtel, produced only in Normandy.

PLUS tips:
Low-fat and non-fat varieties will not melt as well because of the lower fat content.
• To reduce fat in dips and spreads, yogurt cheese, creamed cottage cheese, and low-fat/non-fat cream cheese may be substituted measure for measure.
• In most applications, Neufchatel cheese may be substituted for cream cheese measure for measure.

Last edited by a broad abroad : 05-30-2005 at 06:00 AM.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote