Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #140

Looks like I missed Mima's anniversary, Mother's Day and Tammy's BD. So ... here's a late happy Anniversary, Happy Birthday and glad everyone had a good Mother's Day. We went to Alabama last weekend and no particular excuse for the rest of the week except just busy.

Glad you got home safe, Mima. Candice, sorry you wrecked the car but glad you weren't hurt (nothing except your pride, that is!) Don't you just hate doing stuff like that when your hubby is around? I do. They always act like they are so superior in matters of 'driving' and the like. When, actually, I'm a much better driver than my husband. He takes risks I would never take but, yet, I can get to a destination a lot faster than he can and when I need to ask directions ... I don't hesitate!!! But, too, my sense of direction is much better than his! He's 'messed up' with me several times over the last week or two ... so last night he brought me a dozen roses. Even though I never did say a word to him about anything ... he knew! My kids aren't doing such a hot job lately either and I think he was feeling sorry about that ... but that's another whole book! We also went out to eat for Mother's Day ... had 10 and an hour's wait for a table at O'Charlie's but dinner was pretty good considering the crowd. Kids gave me an hour massage certificate and flowers.

Sometimes I think I don't like the people my children are growing into ... they are both very successful ... but they are changing ... maybe that success is what is changing them, I don't know. I guess I've changed, too, and maybe that scares them a little. I'm not just staying home doing nothing but taking care of their needs anymore. I have a life OUTSIDE of them and I think maybe they resent that. But, what ever it is, there's something different. Especially with my daughter and daughter-in-law. You can almost FEEL it. They say things about my size (I'm a lot smaller than they are) and me looking their age and stuff and about me being so busy all the time. And even about us being gone with our friends a lot. They don't say these things in a nice way, either. It's like they want me to LOOK 60 and stay home. As a matter of fact, my daughter's MD card to me said: "Mom, who ever imagined the day when I'd be the one all stressed out raising a family and you'd be the one out playing and enjoying life?" on the front ... Well of course, I laughed ... what else you gonna do??? I opened the card and on the inside it said: "You know, Mom, It really annoys me when you laugh like that ... Well ... didn't know whether to laugh or cry there for a minute! There was a day when she used to buy me NICE cards for Mother's Day!

Last edited by MemeToo; 05-10-2005 at 01:36 PM.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #2  

Hey Meme, when people change, the others try to maintain what used to be. Hang in there-they will get used to it and you won't have to do anything. When I go to Fl, my son used to want me to be at his house all the time, but now I am married and Brad and I have a busy life down there, but this tear he seemed to get used to it. Then Brad told me that he said something to him about next year. We want to be independent like we are at home. I do love to be with them but not all the time. Bye for now-went for a walk with Auntie-she was not feeling too well. She is going to be 82. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #3  

Mima ... I'm not going to do anything or say anything to them. The less done or said the better. You can't really bring things like that out in the open because that usually just makes them worse. I've found that out the hard way ... with my own mother. She used to treat me really bad and when I'd say something to her about it she'd take a defensive attitude and I'd always be in the wrong ... everything would be MY fault. So ... the less said the better. But, on the other hand, I'm not changing for them, either. My son told me Sunday I needed to EAT more. I looked at my husband and said, would you please tell him that I eat. He just laughed and said oh yeah, she eats pretty good! I really think they want me to be fat again and to have WHITE hair and wrinkles and LOOK like a grandmother. When I walk into my daugher's office and then we go to the cafeteria for lunch (she works at the hospital) I get looks from her coworkers like ... Paula ... is THIS your MOTHER? And I think that bothers her. She'll be 35 next month and my son will be 39 ... my best friend just turned 41 and her parents just moved here from MI and I met them for the first time ... they thought I was same age as my friend ... I'll be 58 a week from Friday. Well, there's nothing I can do about the wrinkles but I'm NOT going to gain the weight back (if I can help it) and I'm not going to let myself go, either.

Sorry ... can't say anything to them so I guess you gals are just getting it all ... I just need to vent. (guess this makes up for me having to read your posts for 30 minutes to catch up ...) I'M DONE!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #4  

Default Hey There

Meme- I guess the kids have to find ways to cope for a change.. My son got married. His new wife took over and he is not leaning on us for a change, He isn't calling or coming around either. I guess we all have got to get used to the change..I miss him sometimes.. but, I don't miss all the extra work I had to deal with to help him..
Mima- When are you going to move down on a more permanent basis? Our kids want to be independant but still try to change the role. They can't have it both ways no matter how old we get.. I try to stay in charge of my life and will as long as possible.
I was outside pruning a tree today. Too much up and down the ladder.. I feel it tonight.Hello everybody.
Back tomorrow.. Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #5  

Meme, vent all you want here!!! That's what friends are for.

We all change in one way or another. I'm having trouble with Tim's independence that he wants. He just turned 17 in March, but he's planning his future. There's nothing wrong with that, but MY BABY IS GROWING UP!!!

Today was our field trip. I'm pooed out. Lots of walking. We went to Carillon Park in Dayton, OH. It's a historical park. Lots of older buildings, older modes of transportation, and all kinds of neat stuff. One of the Wright Brothers original planes is in this park. The kids were totally amazed by that because we've done alot of talking about them. I'll be glad to get to bed tonight.

17 more days of school.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #6  

Thanks, Tammy, but I'm all through venting. (And thanks so much for 'listening')!!! I love my kids and I don't have a problem with them. They are the ones with the problem so I guess they are the ones who will have to figure out what to do about it. My life is pretty full as it is ... too full actually .. without going around making mountains out of what may just be molehills. I'll take the grandkids when I can and let the older ones work out their own little quirks. I learned long ago to let sleeping dogs lie and let the Good Lord take care of the ones that wake up hungry!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #7  

Good meme-Quite a few years ago, I had a different kind of problem with DIL. Never said anything and now she is my new best friend. Having trouble with my daughter because I don't agree with her so I need to back off and be more compassionate BUT I STILL DON'T AGREE WITH HER. Down to the wire on Idol-voted for Vonzell for 45 minutes. Bye for now. Mima Can't move down yet, Joanne. We both work up here and it's really too hot down there and we have 3 kids up here and our friends have all gone home, anyways. But I love it in Florida-We are going through withdrawal!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #8  

I changed my tracker thing under messages the other day. I figured that I needed to change it to show the weight gain and maybe I'd get on the ball and do something about it. I hate it that I've gained, but I know it's my own fault.

Mima, maybe when you move to Florida, I'll join you!!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:15 AM   #9  

Good, Tammy!!! I can show you around!!! Boy, we miss Florida, especially our church. But they send flyers to keep in touch and also e-mail. It's cold again-Brad has a cold-Am I next?
Alison is excited -Vonzell is in town and the kids are hoping she will go to her old high school. That's for you American Idol fans!! Still busy cleaning up and then I go to work next Tues-vet today. Bye for now Mima
Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #10  

It's so hot here ... and supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm hurting and have a headache. Waiting on a customer to come pick up a trailer. I hate waiting on people. Can't get a lot done ...

I'm entertaining the idea of entertaining tonight ... just don't feel like getting the house in shape and shopping for food. I don't know when I got so old! Used to ... I could 'spiff' up the house and run to the store in no time. Now it takes me all day! Maybe I'll suggest we all go out to dinner and then come back here and play cards ... that way all I'll have to serve is dessert & coffee and I can pick that up on the way to the restaurant. (Maybe it isn't old age afterall ... maybe it's just laziness!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #11  

Default Hey There

Meme- You are not OLD!! There is no such word. I will be old when I am dead.. We are getting YOUNGER!!! The way I feel lately that could be soon. Normal people have colds. I have colds and they go for the lungs..Another few days of setting on my rump may help..My hubby is afraid of catching it so he has gone out in the yard all day and worked. Maybe ,I should stay sick longer so he will get more done.
It is hot here and no sign if rain. There is a tropical storm way down south but I am sure we won't get any of it..
Tammy- My weight creeps up and down all the time.. My hubby told me tonight to stop feeding the cold.. I have to get on the scale thursday. I say somewhere that 3000 people move to Florida every year ,I think,I wonder where they go. There is a lot of open land in N/Fl. but not too many are going there..It seems they all want to settle mid/central and down the state.I love N/Fl. and would go there in a min. My hubby won't.He was born here in Tarpon Springs and will never leave.
Mima- It take 5 years for your blood to thin enough to really be comfortable in the heat. Ofcourse that is why we have air conditioners..I can stand the heat but I like my air.. I have lived here all my life..I am the real Florida Cracker..
Hello everyone..Have A Great Weekend...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #12  

My BIL lives in Tampa. I don't know where we would want to live if we moved down there. My husband lived in Georgia when he was a kid. He lived in Brunswick. We've visited there a couple times, and we really like Jekyll Island. A couple years ago when we were there, I tried to imagine living there when I retire. Bob mentioned it today. Maybe that's where we will end up.

Have any of you been on Flexeril? I take it at bedtime. I started taking it in September. I just found out recently that it can cause weight gain. Has anyone else had that happen? I want to go off of it just to see if I can lose some weight. Maybe I should wait until after school is out though. 14 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 05-14-2005, 01:53 AM   #13  

Tammy ... I was on that for years. It made me sleepy and I was overweight but I can't say that it was the Flexeril that caused it because I don't know. I know Prednisone got me started up the scale back then ... could be the Flexeril and other similar meds I was on back then helped keep my weight up there for so long ... something sure did! I'm off everything that causes weight gain now (I think) and don't plan on going back on anything long term if I can help it. I took a round of Prednisone a week ago but it was just a 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 thing and then I was through with it. I'm sure you've all done one of those. It usually makes me feel better but it didn't work this time. I am still hurting so bad I can't stand myself. My head is a little better ... I think it was from being out in the sun with customers for so long today. They just want to stand out there and talk and talk and talk! I nearly passed out on a couple yesterday. Had to sit down on one of the trailers and they STILL didn't leave!!! I wouldn't be able to stand FL ... can't take the heat!

Had friends over tonight afterall but not for dinner, we went out to eat and I bought cake for dessert ... turns out we had so much fun we decided to do it again tomorrow night ... we had cake left over so we have to eat it all up!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #14  

You must have the same kind of friends we have, Meme. Sounds like fun. Send us some of your heat, just not all of it. Well, trees are finally on the trees-hope I don't have asthma again as I am going to work on Tuesday. I was so bad in Florida.
I read on another thread that I have been doing the wrong thimgs for the IBS. I did not have any pains yesterday and I switched to Beneful instead of Metamucil. Now I don't have that bloated feeling. Too funny yesterday-I was going to bring the dog to the vet yesterday and he disappeared til noon -when the office closes. So today, he is going at 10:30 but I think Brad will bring him-after he fixes my closet-the shelf is falling down. Have a nice weekend everyone-I am achy from doing so much work-i will rest correcting the teacher test. Ha!!! Mima
Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #15  

Meme, the Flexeril is what I take at bedtime, so sleepy is a good thing. lol Since I went on it in Sept., I've gained 10 pounds. I told Bob that it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I eat, I stay the same since I've gained those pounds.

It's cool and raining here today. The band is supposed to march and play at a racetrack about 25 miles north of here this evening. I'm planning to chaperone, but the way it looks, it will be rained out. It's Eldora Speedway just in case any of you are racing fans. Tony Stewart of Nascar fame just bought it.