View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #64
esmaraude
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Here's a recipe that even passes the test of my boyfriend who hates anything vegetarian or "diety." He and my friends love them! You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy them, and it's a good way to cut down on your red meat. And the best part is that once I'm done making a batch, I pack them individually in the little zip-lock sandwhich bags and store them in the freezer. So whenever I want one, all I have to do open up a bag and throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Karen's Veggie Burritos

-One package of Soy Taco "meat" (Comes in a sausage-like tube in the refrigerated vegetarian section of the grocery stores)*
-One cup of wild rice
-One cup of chopped peppers (Any color will do, depending on your taste; I like to combine red, green, and yellow)
-One cup of chopped onions
-One cup of salsa
-One can of pinto beans or fat-free refried beans
-One cup of low fat or fat-free cheese (I've experimented with soy cheese as well)
-Two packages of burrito shells (I usually get the whole wheat or "low carb" ones)
-One taco seasoning packet (optional)

*If you cannot find the Soy Taco mix, you may substitute one package of "ground beef" style soy mix and add one package of taco seasoning

Cook the rice as directed on the package.

Add the taco "meat" and mix well over low heat.

Stir in the peppers, onions, and beans.

Taste a sample to see if you'd like it spicier. If so, add the taco seasoning packet to taste. I always used to automatically add it to compensate for the rice, but I've recently discovered it's also good without it.)

Stir in the cheese until it melts.

Stuff the mix you've just made into your warmed burrito shells.

Viola!

And you don't have to be exact with the portions of the ingredients, this is just a rough guideline. Get creative!

If you're not in the mood for burritos, this mix is also great for making stuffed peppers.

esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote