South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:56 AM   #1  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Default please help me deal with these ANTI-DIET thoughts!

OK, here are my self-defeating thoughts going thru my head! HELP!

1. we're having my nephew's b-day party this Sunday, so wait until AFTER THAT to start dieting again (so I can have cake!)
2. then we're going out of town next weekend, so wait until after that (so I can eat what I want)
3. then Valentine's day (chocolate!)
4. then my DH's b-day (do you see a pattern here)?

I could put this off forever!

other thoughts:
1. I just bought sugary cereal in bulk from Sam's club - that will be going to waste!
2. I made chocolate frosting yesterday, that is still in the fridge - shouldn't I eat that before I start my diet?
3. there's tea with sugar in the fridge - *sigh* I guess I should pour that out!
4. I am SO TIRED of salads!
5. I'm addicted to sunflower seeds.

HELP! I'm sabotaging myself!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #2  

Hi,
I can see the temptation, but I think you know what you need to do lol! Throw out the stuff that's tempting you. Don't wait to adopt healthy patterns. You can eat well today, tomorrow and Saturday before having an allowable 'slip' by including a piece of birthday cake on the weekend. Don't worry about the Phase I/Phase II thing, just start on Phase II until after the birthday and then get to Phase I on Monday. But don't keep putting it off.

Even if these early days are 'practice and awareness' days, use them to clear your cupboards and fridge, plan next week's meals, strategize ten different ways to say no to a second piece of birthday cake or to tell your better half that a single piece of really good chocolate is actually healthy while the whole heart-shaped box isn't.

These can be useful days. Don't waste them.

Hope this helps a bit. You can do it! You know you can!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #3  

P.S. The food bank would probably love to have the sugary cereal you just bought at Sam's!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, I hear ya, hon!
We just went through two birthday celebrations, and I packed on two pounds. DH took the remainder of one of the cakes to work.
As for the leftover icing (there was a LOT, and I could have eaten it all in one sitting), I put it in the sink, and ran the hot water over it until it was gone.
Heidi's advice is excellent.
Come in and post with us... often... there's lots of support to be had here.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #5  

Welcome! There will always be temptations and reasons for not starting. I know I put it off far too long. I think one way to look at it is that this is truly a new way of eating. It is not a diet that you go off at some point. There are times when I choose to be strong and resist the temptations such as birthday cake and there are times when I choose to give it. But it is my choice and I have to live with the consequences.

I would definitely wait to start until you have read the book and the stickies in the Frequently Asked Questions so you have the updated food lists. Preparation is key to being able to stay on the plan. Phase 1 is only two weeks. I know that seems long but there are LOTS of good recipes between the forum and the cookbook. I rarely eat salad even when I was phase 1.

It is important to not cheat in phase 1 since you are truly trying to detox. We can certainly help you plan and answer any questions you have. My life and my health are vastly improved because of South Beach and I am glad I didn't wait another day.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #6  

Lots of great advice! I just will add "Welcome!"
Old 02-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shyla, I totally empathize! BUT! The fact that you recognize these self-defeating thoughts and are asking for help tells me that you want to be healthy more than you want to eat or not waste those things. You CAN do this girl!!!

Okay...give all acceptable food to the local food bank, soup kitchen, shelter, or church.
THROW OUT the tea, the frosting, and any other food in the house that tempts you (including the sunflower seeds!). You can do this!!!

Then, make a plan of attack for the things that are to come. Some ideas:

Nephew's b-day--bring SBD safe dessert for yourself, and plan something fun to do there, like play with the kids, chat with a family member or friend, or even a craft that you enjoy. If you can't do it there, promise yourself something if you stay OP during the party, like a luxurious bubble bath, an hour with a mug of tea, quiet, and a good trashy novel, or a long walk with your DH.

Valentine's Day: you can celebrate this all year long, so postpone your celebration to the first night on Phase 2 and eat strawberries dipped in chocolate. Yum!

Vacation: plan something equally delicious but less fattening, like a boat ride, going dancing, or doing some dancing in the hotel room under the sheets!

DH's B-day: make something SBD safe for his b-day. Eat out at a place with SBD friendly food or eat in and make something romantic but OP. I'm making SBDized german food (DH's favorite) for his b-day and an apple crisp with WW flour, splenda, and oats for the topping. We'll either have small scoops of fairly SBD friendly vanilla ice cream or make our own at home. It'll be fun!

As to salads, if you don't like them, don't eat them! Have leftovers from dinner for lunch or make meat rollups...have tuna or chicken salad (with mayo, not cut up on lettuce). You can go weeks without a salad if you don't like them.

I know you can do this girl...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #8  
gotta lose it!

Shyla, hello. I know it's tough to not think about those "sweets", etc. Maybe you should try focusing on all the good things that will happen when you reach your goal. In a previous post I believe you said you have 4 month twins - they will love to have a healthy mommy. Focus on all the reasons why you want to lose the weight - so what if you waste a box of cereal - you are worth a lot more than just a box of cereal!!! Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #9  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Thanks guys!

I just threw out the chocolate frosting..... and made myself a breakfast sandwich on the george foreman grill (wheat bread, ham, cheese, and an egg) - yummy! (probably too much bread, but I won't have any more today).

it's hard to cook with twins in the house! *yikes* I'll have to go throw out that tea & make some more in a little bit.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #10  
buzz buzz buzzin along

Talking hi

I just wanted to chime in! The last night of my non healthy eating lifestyle. I went to the cupboard with Garbage can. I throw out anything that was opened. then dumped my coffee grounds on top> to further deter myself. Then anything I could use down the road (ww noodles, lemonade (for dd/dp) corn bread, chips put them on what we call the "TEMPATION" shelf. I can't reach it w/o a chair or step stool. This has stopped me from cheating on the beach. You know we have had 2 birthdays since since I started with incredible cakes (double choco and butter cream, my fave!) I ate a cheese stick. while everyone was chowing down. I still celebrated and everything. I don't need to eat cake to feel like Im having a good time at the party and I don't miss it. I remove myself from it! (btw, I'm always in charge of passing out cake to everyone ) JMO, I think that if you are committed to lose weight then you have to make sweet sacrifices. Good Luck on the Beach, I love it.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #11  

Shyla - the things we talk ourselves into (or out of) You can do this. Call a family member or someone you know who can use the things you need to throw out of your pantry!!! Then get them over there ASAP and give it to them. That way it won't go to waste and your waist wont miss it

We all struggle with some things at some point in our lives. Don't let it get you down. Take charge and GET RID OF THAT STUFF. I eat alot of just plain chicken and LF cheese. I am not a veggie/salad person either (much to Laurie's chagrin ) But there are plenty of other things you can eat.

Keep posting - GREAT support here. I LOVE these ladies and I've just started to post recently. Take advantage of their experience and look at some of the scale lines in the signatures - that's where the truth is!! This works if you work it hon. Good luck and don't put it off. For your OWN sake.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #12  

Ohhhh... I've SO been there! I was always coming up with a reason to "start later". It gets easier. Once you're in the swing of things it'll just come natural and not having your favorite things every day won't seem quite so dire. And I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Barbara when she says: I think one way to look at it is that this is truly a new way of eating. It is not a diet that you go off at some point. This was the hardest thing for me to accept. That these eating changes are FOREVER, not just until I'm thin.

You can do this Shyla. I believe in you!
Closed Thread