South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #1  

Unhappy Please Give Us Some Help And Ideas!

I am just wondering if anyone has tried other "diet ideas" with the Beach to try to turbo lose the weight? Like taking Apple Cider Vinegar Pills, or spicing everything up with peppers or cayene to boost metabolism?

My sister is in dire need to lose 10 lbs in 2mos and even on the Beach ( for 3 years) has had trouble losing weight. She has tried medical intervention(RXs) and had her thyroid checked and such but she seems to just be her size. She is at the gym 3 times at week and still isn't losing any.
Being fit just isn't enough.

She is on oxygen and terminally ill. She is having a living donor (from me and her son) lung transplant on April 15. She HAS to lose 10lbs or they won't do it. She has lost 15lbs in the last 3yrs on the Beach but this last 10 is just not moving. Its so slow for her.

PLEASE.....does anyone have any ideas?? I have suggested that she go back to phase 1 for awhile to tweek her system again. What do you think?

(and I don't help her confidence cause I have lost 4lbs this week alone! ) only 20 more for me!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #2  

Please Please Give Us Some Help And Prayers!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

How about posting a typical menu for her so the chicks can take a look and maybe help in that way. I know some of the chicks do weight watchers and SBD but no piils or anything as far as I know. Will add her to my prayer list!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #4  

Maybe she can try following the Phase I menu plan exactly as it is in the book?

Sometimes just taking the concept and using our own judgement on portions - letting hunger be our guide - is not enough. For such a situation where time is critical, there isn't room to figure out intuitive eating and judge whether the weight is coming off better with fruit or without fruit, with grain or without grain etc. The menus in the book will at least give balanced meals and adequate portions.

I agree with Bamiegirl though, post menus and the chicks will give their views.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #5  

okay, I will try to get her to give me one. I will post it as soon as I can.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #6  

I will certainly keep you both and her son in my prayers. This is a very brave thing for all of you to undertake. I would say STRICT Phase 1. Pills will not help and may make her immune system weak. She definately does not want that if she is to undergo surgery. I say Let the Chicks help ya'll out and see what happens.

Good Luck to you and many prayers.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #7  

Has she talked to her doctors? She may need to see a nutrition and have a very strict meal plan drawn up. For such a short-term weight loss they may want to put her on something like Medifast or something like that. But she has GOT to stick to whatever they tell her or whatever she decides to do. No cheating -- it is her longterm health at stake! You and your son are making a huge sacrifice for her and i hope that she realizes it is not worth a cheat. I hope that doesn't sound harsh but I am just trying to put it into perspective.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #8  
GARDENING ADDICT

My prayers are with you, your sidter and son
I am guessing that since she has lung problems that she has been on steroids for breathing. If that is the case, it does make losing weight alittle more difficult.

I second the suggestion that she talk to her doctor and a nutritionist to assist her in this quick weight lose attempt. She doesn't want to do anything that will compromize her health or immune system at this crutial time.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #9  

If she has been on SB Diet for three years it could be that low carb eating is no longer having an effect. Because of the time frame I would suggest tablets like Xenical if approved by her doctor. If she had more time I would probably suggest switching to a low calorie diet like weight watchers but keep some of SB principals (continue to choose lean meats and healthy carbs).
Old 02-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Keep you and your dear family in my prayers...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

You are in my prayers and I hope everything works out for you. How brave you and your son are, and what a wonderful thing you are doing for your sister. Has she tried eating only raw fruits and vegetables, you can lose weight really fast that way, and of course drinking plenty of water. Has she talked to a Dr. or Nutritionist about a fast & safe way to lose weight fast?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #12  
buzz buzz buzzin along

Talking

Even tho she's working out at the Gym, is she getting her heartrate up and keeping it up? Is she pushing herself if she's doing crunches and push ups? I used to go to the gym and work out but I really didn't workout. I somewhat glowed but never sweated. Im not sure what she can do workout wise but she's need to pushing the limit to lose weight. I would think her dr would give her a weightloss plan to lose if it's a matter of life and death!

I will add you and your family to my prayer list. May God Bless you!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #13  

My sister has try Xenical, she has sought the doctor's advice and so far, they just tell her to keep on trying. To give you an idea of how hard it is for her to lose weight, she had her teeth removed and was fitted with dentures 2.5yrs ago. (needed to be done for transplant reasons....long story) But basically, she had no teeth for 2 weeks and then couldn't really eat anything for awhile while her mouth got used to the dentures. For 4weeks, she had clear soups, juices, shakes, soft eggs, and oatmeal. She didn't lose a single lb!!!
As for the gym, she works as hard as possible can being hooked up at oxygen and line! She can't do crunches, pushups or heavy training, sheez, she can't even bend down to get her own shoes on . She does treadmill, bike, lite weights and swims. And she has a personal trainer with her to help motivate her and keep her going. She hopes that maybe if they push a little harder this time she will lose some more.

I am going to get at her next week to keep a diary of what she is eating and to go on a strict phase 1 again. I am sure if she is really tight on her diet and we tweek her system again, she will start losing. I will post her daily food intake next week and we will see if we can all find something to help with.

thank you so much for all your help.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wondermom, you will all be in my prayers. I realize that you are feeling desperate, but please don't try diet pills. Not only are none of them known to truly work (check out the Buyers Beware forum for more), but many of them cause terrible side effects, not something you want to do to your sister when she's about to have surgery.

I would definitely talk with the doctors about this and see what they recommend. And do post her daily menu. If she's only lost 15 pounds, there might be something wrong there. Also, what is she doing at the gym? If she does the same thing every time, it may no longer be helping her. She may need to workout harder (which is hard with lung problems) or just differently.

Give us more details and we may be able to help, but please have her discuss this with her doctor and a nutritionist.

Closed Thread