South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #1  

Default Intro

Hello hello! I am new to this site and new to the SBD. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

First the weight stuff. In April 2002 I joined Weight Watchers Online and over the course of 6 months went from 225 to 175. It took me another year to lose 20 more pounds, and I lost steam. I have now gained back those 20 pounds and I'm back up to 175, and quite frankly I am sick of counting points. I am so discouraged with it that I have not done well at all for these past few months (since September or so). I have tried just counting calories, but I honestly think I'm just sick of counting things!

A friend of mine started SBD two weeks ago, and another one started this week. Also my mom used it, but only to lose 15 pounds or so. So here I am -- I am ready to "go to the beach!" I am at roughly 175 and I would like to get to at least 125. I believe at 125 my BMI is still slightly 'overweight' (I am 4'11") but when I get there I will see how I look/feel and how well I maintain. I am starting officially on either Sunday or Monday, I have not decided yet which. I need to find the book, though I feel like I have gotten tons of info on these boards, and I'm not sure the book will even give me much more. But I hear there are a lot of recipes in it.

As for non-weight stuff.... I am a system administrator for a small company. My husband and I also run a small farm in northern Indiana, where we raise two dairy goats, two wool sheep, 12 turkeys, 6 geese, a flock of ducks, and a breeding "herd" of rabbits. We also grow a pretty large garden in the summer. We drink our own milk, eat our own eggs, duck, rabbit, and by this summer we will be eating our own lamb and kid (baby goat). My husband makes cheese, yogurt, and butter with the goat milk. I also knit and I'm learning to spin my own wool.

Needless to say we have no kids (or we would not have time for all the above), but we do have a dog and three cats as pets.

I hope the post was not too long, and look forward to getting to know all of you!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome aboard! Ya better watch talking about spinnin wool Mamacita will be on your door step! lol She is a wool spinner as well. There are a few knitters around the beach also. Sounds like you have a very busy life! Make sure you start postin with us in the daily. No your post was not to long. I did WW myself and like you I got so tired of counting stuff! I love this WOE!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

He there, Geekchick, and welcome to The Beach. You will love it here.
And none of our posts are ever too long. We are a chatty bunch so join us on the Daily and feel free to start any new thread on any subject.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #4  
Trapped Skinny Person

Welcome - you are going to love all the info and advice you will get from all the veterans here!

My 2 cents - preplan as many of your meals and snacks as possible - Phase 1 is so much easier to handle when you don't have to think about what to eat.

And get the book anyways - it is a great reference tool - just remember to check the FAQ here for the updated food lists - the book is still out of date.

Have fun on the beach.

Kim
Old 01-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #5  

Welcome to the Beach, geekchick! I do software production support for a large company and we can always use a few more geeks on the board. I never did learn to knit but I crochet (as does my 7 year old son). The book helps give a good explanation for the basics. I use the cookbook alot. They are often on sale at Target if you have one near you.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #6  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

*~ Welcome to the Beach Geekchik! Glad to have you aboard!! *~*
Old 01-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Wow, what a cool life you lead, Geekchick!
You're very welcome here!!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #8  
Gotta move my Thang!

Welcome GeekChick! These ladies can answer any question you come up with.

Your farm sounds really neat! I've always wanted to do that kind of thing, raise ducks, etc, but have not had the know-how or the energy. And now our half-greyhound dog would probably run after our ducks until they fly away or drop from exhaustion. Perhaps we should start a yarncraft thread to talk about knitting/spinning/crochet - I'm learning to knit, but I've crocheted since I was about 7.

Ciao, and welcome!
Solarmama
Old 01-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #9  

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I know Mamacita from somewhere but can't quite place it .... LiveJournal maybe? I don't think i know her, but friends of hers. My name on LiveJournal is Linchiq but my journal is friends-only.

I would love to start a fiber thread/discussion.

Going to drive up to Meijer (like Target but local to the midwest) at lunch time and get the book. I am amazed that it's so hard to find around here!
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Geekchick!

I hope you really like SBD!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Welcome to the Beach
Closed Thread