Thread: Book Lists
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
funniegrrl

I'm not a maintainer YET ... heh heh ... but I love the idea of this thread and thought I'd contribute. Reading is as important as breathing to me, and whenever I undertake something my first step is to read about it. So, in the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've read quite a bit. Here are my recommendations:

Practical Books about Weight Loss and Fitness
  • Thin for Life : 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off by Anne Fletcher
    As mentioned previously. This is the book I read months before I started my program, and it made me think that maybe, just maybe I could lose at least some weight and keep it off, and there are strategies here that I use to this day.
  • The Thin Books: Daily Strategies & Meditations for Fat-Free, Guilt-Free, Binge-Free Living by Jean Eddy Westin
    This is the BIBLE for understanding and recovering from compulsive overeating. Even if you don't attend OA (and I don't) it's invaluable for understanding that the way your brain works may be standing in your way, and that you have to become aware of when you are falling into old traps and have strategies to deal with them. This is one of those books where I kept saying, "How did she know I think like that?" and "You mean EVERYBODY doesn't think like that?"
  • Fattitudes: Beat Self-Defeat and Win Your War With Weight by Jeffrey Wilbert, Norean K. Wilbert
    This book wasn't as helpful for me as it is for others, but I did get something out of it. I think it's especially good for people who have significant others, relatives, and/or friends who don't understand why losing weight is hard and who (intentionally or unintentionally) can sabotage your efforts.
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom by Phil McGraw
    Overall I'm not a Dr. Phil fan but this book pretty much hits the nail on the head.
  • Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight by Kathy Smith
  • Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam Nelson, Ph.D. and Sarah Wernick, Ph.D.
    Kathy Smith's book, above, draws a lot on this work and previous works by Nelson. Both are easy, informative reads.
  • Kathy Smith's Getting Better All the Time : Shape Up, Eat Smart, Feel Great! by Kathy Smith
    A more general book than the Lift Weights book. Contains some tips about motivation as well as food and exercise advice.
  • Yoga for Wimps by Miriam Austin
    Yoga is one of the best things you can do for your body AND your mental / emotional / spiritual life. If you are afraid of yoga or think your body can't do it, this is a terrific place to start. The relaxation techniques alone are worth the price.
  • Cool Yoga Tricks by Miriam Austin
    Once you've started real yoga practice, this books teaches a lot of wonderful modifications to help you get more out of poses. I learned some things in here that I use in my yoga class that my teacher didn't even think of.

Mind / Body
  • Health Journeys: A Meditation to Help You with Weight Loss (audio tape) by Belleruth Naparstek
  • 28 to Motivate (tape / CD) Jenny Craig
    Available to JC clients; may also be available for general purchase through their web site.
  • The Mental Edge: Maximize Your Sports Potential With the Mind/Body Connection by Ken Baum, Richard Trubo, Kenneth Baum
    The concepts here apply to ALL facets of weight loss and fitness, not just competitive athletics or exercise.
  • Get Motivated! : Daily Psych-Ups by Kara Farley
    Ditto
  • Meditation for Wimps: Finding Your Balance in an Imperfect World by Miriam Austin, Barry Kaplan

True Stories
  • Stop the Insanity by Susan Powter
    This book could fit in a lot of different sections ... I put her here because overall it's very inspiring and has some good factual info about why oxygen is important in fat burning, that it's OK to modify exercises when you can't keep up with the aerobics instructor, etc. But some of her food advice is misguided, and she DOES have a chip on her shoulder about men due to her past. But, I got a huge kick and a lot of good info from reading it.
  • Fat Chat With Tamara: How I Lost 100 Pounds and You Can Too by Tamara Hill, Maryann Brinley
  • Passing for Thin : Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self by Frances Kuffel
    You may not completely identify with Kuffel, and obviously we are not all 12-steppers, but her story is compelling and insightful.

Related Medical Issues
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know by Mary J. Shomon
  • The Good News About Women's Hormones : Complete Information and Proven Solutions for the Most Common Hormonal Problems by Geoffrey Redmond

For Those Thinking about Plastic Surgery
  • Two Girlfriends Get Real About Cosmetic Surgery by Charlee Ganny, Susan J. Collini
  • The Smart Woman's Guide to Plastic Surgery : Essential Information from a Female Plastic Surgeon by Jean M. Loftus M.D.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote