South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:17 AM   #1  
Razz

Question Can I eat that?

Hi!

I'm new on the South Beach Diet, and I'm afraid I don't speak "diet." Can you tell me if I can eat the following in Phase 2:

-cane juice
-wheat gluten
-jasmine rice
-seminola

I check ingredients obsessively, and if I don't recognize an ingredient, I put it back on the shelf. Thanks for your help!

Julie
Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach.
Are those items ingredients in some processed food? Cane juice (sugar) and rice are not allowed on Phase II. Wheat gluten? Seminola? Sorry but they are not listed in my guide. Perhaps you could find out by checking Prevention.com or the South Beach Site.
Sorry not to be of more help.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 AM   #3  
Razz

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a little nutty--I should have typed "semolina" and "gluten-free wheat."

Yes, they're all ingredients in foods I've been checking out. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I refuse to buy anything with sugar, corn syrup, or any kind of starch anywhere in the ingredients list. For Thanksgiving, I splurged on a tub of fat-free whipped cream, but later, I found out that it was full of corn starch. Rats! I went shopping at my favorite asian market today and saw microwaveable glutinous rice, but I didn't get it for fear that glutinous rice was just a form of white rice. I miss mochi (a kind of dessert), but there's rice starch in it. I'm still trying to figure out why rice noodles are allowed.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

If the gluten-free wheat is whole wheat, that is allowed on Phase 2. Is the gluten-free wheat for a condiditon like celiac/sprue, or is it just an ingredient in something that you are buying.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #5  
Razz

The gluten-free wheat is an ingredient, which I often see in pasta and bread and the like.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #6  
Gotta move my Thang!

Gluten is the protein in wheat. If the wheat flour is gluten-free, then the protein has been stripped from it, and would leave, I assume, the starch. You can get "wheat gluten flour" which is just the protein, and is added to breads to help them rise in some cases.

I would be surprised to learn that rice noodles are allowed on Phase II, if rice is not. Rice noodles are made from rice flour, which seems to contradict the whole "more processing = less good carb" thing. Almost all rice noodles are made from white rice flour, as far as I can tell.

Glutinous rice is a type of Asian rice that is used a lot in desserts in Japan and SE Asia, because it is extra starchy and sticky.

Lastly, I thought brown rice was permissable on Phase II, in small amounts? I'll cry if I must cut out ALL rice - what will I eat my curry with?!? A spoon, perhaps. Ah, well.

Ciao!
Solarmama
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Solarmama, I buy those bags of already-shredded cabbage (for coleslaw) and stir fry it as a base for things like curry. It makes a reasonable substitute for rice.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:09 PM   #8  

I just serve curry and chilli and those 'wet' dishes in a bowl with a spoon.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 AM   #9  

We have still been having our thai and indian curries, but using a small bed of canned brown lentils.. the lentils are nice and peppery and add a great flavour... the cabbage is also a good idea for the thai curries...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #10  
Razz

The updated food list shows that rice noodles are allowed in Phase II, as are basmati, wild, and brown rice. I picked up a box of instant brown rice to see how it goes. I miss curry, too, and I've been meaning to try it with cous cous, or tofu. Unfortunately, my favorite place makes it with chunks of potato and probably sugar, so I don't think I can have it. My favorite mix has sugar in it, too. Sad, sad news on the glutinous rice, but I'll find other options. I wonder how brown rice tastes fried. Pei Wei offeres it along with all their dishes. I should try it the next time I go there. Last time, I got the Soba Miso, which uses buckwheat noodles. It was delicious!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #11  
Gotta move my Thang!

Hi there,

Thanks for all the curry suggestions - it's probably my favorite dish in the world, (all Indian food, really) and I was dreading having to give it up. Of course, I'll have find curries that aren't flour-thickened to stay OP phase I. Tanrazbury, if you cook and would like some sugar-free curry recipes that can be tailored for no potatoes, let me know and I'll post a few in the recipes section. (I'm away from the cookbook library right now )

I make fried brown rice at home with cold, precooked brown rice and it turns out fine - a little more chewy than white rice. I'm glad to hear that basmati is back, though - it is just so satisfying in certain circumstances. I usually eat brown, even with curry or Asian food, but on 'occasions' a lovely, fragrant basmati just knocks my socks off.

Where are folks finding the "revised" Phase lists? I'm reading the SBD book right now, and it must be the non-revised version. I'd rather not stress about something that I really AM allowed to have at one time or another - I have vowed to begin Phase I on 12/27, even though I will still be travelling after the holidays. There are certain things that I feel rebellious at having to give up - beets, for example. I'm not going to go crazy on them, but IMHO I make really excellent pickled beets, and I love them chopped up in salads. So that's my pre-determined cheat. But, if miraculously, some of the foods I am sad to give up turn out to be okay (like basmati rice) then I can save myself some feelings of deprivation and stress.

Thanks!
Solarmama

Last edited by solarmama; 12-23-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Solarmama - the latest revisions are found in the Frequently Asked Questions here in The South Beach Forum. Here ya go - lots of good stuff in there!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115
Old 12-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #13  
Gotta move my Thang!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I'll check it out right now! (Work? what's that?)

Solar
Old 12-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #14  
Razz

Ah, I would love some curry recipes! I'm giving away my curry mixes today because they use flour (boo!) and some sugar. I fell off the wagon yesterday because of some unfortunate exposure to holiday goodies, so I'm going back to phase 1, but when I come back off it, I'd love to try some new recipes. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:14 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I wonder if the rice noodles are made from brown rice? I love the buckwheat noodles...yum!

While I was home, I found a great Chicken Marsala (not with marsala wine...it was a curry!) with brown rice frozen meal at Trader Joe's. Amazing!!! All of the ingredients look SBD safe.

Great idea about the cabbage, Ellis!

But we can definitely have brown rice in Phase II. Couscous too... but what about curry over barley? Curry over Quinoa? There are so many tasty options!
Closed Thread