View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #26
MrsJim
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietingLady
I'm used to taking herbal supplements and monitoring my body's reaction and I've noted nothing adverse so far. I'm wondering about the problem, though, of knowing what's really in the pills -- or in any herbal supplements, for that matter.

I checked and found that all of my herbal supplements have the same statement that the Hoodia powder bottle does: "This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." However, the statement applies to claims about what the product's results, not to whether the bottle contains what it says it does.

Aren't there laws against mislabeling which apply here? This is a U.S. manufacture and I can't imagine he wouldn't get in trouble for selling something that isn't what the container said it is. After examining all my bottles, I see nothing on the label to give me any more confidence that my Echinacea is what it is, than that this Hoodia is genuine.
You have to keep in mind that since 1994, the FDA's hands have been tied as far as monitoring the manufacturers of dietary/herbal supplements. (you can read about it here). So basically, unless a LOT of people are adversely affected by a product - such as what occurred with ephedra last year - the FDA cannot do a thing and these guys can say whatever they like as long as they put in that little disclaimer. And again...how do you KNOW that whatever it is you're taking is actually Hoodia? You said you didn't see the 60 Minutes segment a couple weeks ago, but the transcript has been posted here TWICE along with the link to the 60 Minutes page, which includes a video.

I've been watching this whole snake oil scam going on for years now. YEARS! The diet pill snake oil salespeople must have been overwhelmed with JOY when the initial reports on hoodia started coming down the pike, since they had lost ephedra/ma huang as their 'miracle pill'. Trust me...these companies don't stay in business very long - generally they change their names and packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietingLady
Even natural products can be abused or contraindicated, of course, so self-education is important, but whenever certified Hoodia Gordonii itself is available -- either in powdered or fresh form, whichever works, that's what I'll be inclined to try, not Phytopharm's articificial product.
Certified...by whom? And just how do you KNOW FOR SURE that the stuff you're putting in your body is 'natural' and not 'artificial'? Because the seller told you so? Also if you read the 60 Minutes quote, you'll see that the Phytopharm extract is NOT 'artificial':

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Minutes
The future of hoodia is not yet a sure thing. The project hit a major snag last year. Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, which had teamed up with Phytopharm, and funded much of the research, dropped out when making a pill out of the active ingredient seemed beyond reach.

Dixey says it can be made synthetically: "We've made milligrams of it. But it's very expensive. It's not possible to make it synthetically in what’s called a scaleable process. So we couldn’t make a metric ton of it or something that is the sort of quantity you’d need to actually start doing something about obesity in thousands of people."

Phytopharm decided to market hoodia in its natural form, in diet shakes and bars. That meant it needed the hoodia plant itself.
This might be a good place to quote the initial BBC documentary transcript which you can find in the first post of this thread:

Quote:
I discovered some of the Hoodia has already reached the United States where a "grey" market in the Hoodia has already taken off. You can check the net for Hoodia products, but be careful, as the ones I found are worthless frauds. One popular "Hoodia" appetite suppressant sells under the name of Lipodrene. I had the pill independently analysed in London and it turns out to have "no discernible Hoodia" in it. I would be equally careful of trying any other alleged Hoodia pills. Pfizer have sole marketing rights, the clinical trials have three or four years to run so be patient.
Personally, if I don't know for SURE what's in something, I just don't pop it in my mouth on the word of some salesperson on the Internet saying "you'll burn fat!" or what have you, ESPECIALLY since there is NO regulation on this stuff whatsoever. Without a lab test, you have no idea what's really in those pills. What if you have a severe allergic reaction to an ingredient? To me, buying supplements from unknown parties on the Net is just like buying street drugs like meth or crack. You're putting them in your body and you really are going on trust that the website or whatever is telling you the 'truth'. From my years of looking at the diet pill supplement industry, 'truth' may be in shorter supply than the actual Hoodia...they want your money, that's the bottom line.

Fortunately I don't see this happening with Acomplia (the promising appetite supressant/anti-smoking drug which is due to go to the FDA for approval very soon) since it looks as though it's going to be an actual PRESCRIPTION medication and will undergo testing and close scrutiny for safety and effectiveness.
September 1996: 155 pounds (-110 lbs)
*LIVING at: 145-149 pounds, size 4/6 (-116/120 lbs)

*Maintenance = LIVING.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Wanna know how I lost the weight and have kept it off for over 16 years? Click here!