Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 12:11 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default any diet supplements proven to help with weight loss? Q&A from Shape

This is in this month's Shape magazine and I really liked the answer and wanted to share.

Q. I feel like I've tried every dietary supplement known to man, including Hydroxycut, chromium picolinate, and chitosan, but nothing works, despite all the promises. Is there any dietary supplement that actually has been proven to help with safe weight loss?

A. "The answer is no" says David Levitsky, Ph.D., professor of nutrition and psychology at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. In the doses recommended, no supplement has been found to be effective for losing weight, Levitsky adds. "When a dose becomes effective in terms of increasing metabolic rate, it becomes dangerous. You can run into heart, blood pressure and other medical problems." Even the risky supplements that actually may promote weight loss, such as ephedra, don't help take off more than a couple of pounds - and even then, they work only in the short term.

Levitsky surveyed 150 web sites advertising weight-loss supplements and then reviewed all the published research on the active ingredients found in the supplements. Not a single ingredient lived up to the weight-loss claims advertised. In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

"Everyone's looking for a magic bullet," Levitsky says, "but there is just no substitute for calorie control."

=====================================

I thought this statement in particular was worth noting..
In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

It makes you wonder about all of the claims presented in advertisements, that look so reputable! Think twice.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Suzanne - I haven't read Shape in eons but I find it especially ironic that that appeared in the magazine - as the magazine is OWNED by a supplement company - Weider (who also owns Muscle & Fitness, M&F Hers, Flex, etc.)

Most of the fitness mags out there are in fact owned by supplement companies - for example, Muscle Media and Energy For Women are owned by EAS, etc.

I just find it VERY interesting indeed!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:22 PM   #3  

Mrs. Jim, those companies make other supplements than those for weight loss.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I work from home taking calls for products that people see on TV. Lately, I've been taking a lot of calls for pills like Propolene. I'm giving a script to read and EVEN I don't believe what I'm ready. People are so eager for an easier way. A quick way. I have never found a way other than moderating your diet and your excercise.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

There is no magic pill.

But just once, when someone asks me how I lost 50#, I want to give them a big cheesy wink & say, "Trim Spa, baby!"
Old 07-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #6  
HappyBunny

I agree with what you're saying, there is no miracle pill. However, I have been fat all my life, and I had completely given up on ever losing weight. I didn't diet, didn't exercise and didn't even look in the mirror. I just thought I'd always be fat. Then one day a friend gave me some AM300's. That same week, I joined a gym. I don't know if it was the pills or the one day of exercise, but I lost 10 pounds that week. If the pills didn't work, at least they gave me some added motivation. After that, I've tried ever pill on the market, and none of them worked. Although, some of them made me so quesy from swallowing the huge pills, that I didn't eat.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #7  

Question What about CortiSlim & UltimayeHGH, they seem different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
This is in this month's Shape magazine and I really liked the answer and wanted to share.

Q. I feel like I've tried every dietary supplement known to man,
including Hydroxycut, chromium picolinate, and chitosan, but nothing works, despite all the promises. Is there any dietary supplement that actually has been proven to help with safe weight loss?

A. "The answer is no" says David Levitsky, Ph.D., professor of nutrition and psychology at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. In the doses recommended, no supplement has been found to be effective for losing weight, Levitsky adds. "When a dose becomes effective in terms of increasing metabolic rate, it becomes dangerous. You can run into heart, blood pressure and other medical problems." Even the risky supplements that actually may promote weight loss, such as ephedra, don't
help take off more than a couple of pounds - and even then, they work only in the short term.

Levitsky surveyed 150 web sites advertising weight-loss supplements and then reviewed all the published research on the active ingredients found in the supplements. Not a single ingredient lived up to the weight-loss claims advertised. In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

"Everyone's looking for a magic bullet," Levitsky says, "but there is just no substitute for calorie control."

=====================================

I thought this statement in particular was worth noting..
In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

It makes you wonder about all of the claims presented in advertisements, that look so reputable! Think twice.
undefined
What about Corti-Slim & Ultimate-HGH, they seem to be different from the usual weight loss products in their mechanism of action? Any promise here?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:32 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default New CortiSlim Study

I just read a new double blind study done with CortiSlim. In a double blind study, there are two identical groups, one that takes the substance being studied, and one that takes a placebo that looks identical but has none of the substance in it. The people don't know which pill they are getting, and neither do the researchers--that's why it's called double blind.

In this study, both groups were told to follow a moderate program of diet and exercise. After 12 weeks, the group taking CortiSlim had lost just under 10 pounds average, and the group taking the placebo had lost just over 1 pound average.

I have been taking CortiSlim for 10 weeks, and I have also been on a diet program and walking every day. As I have said in other posts, I think that CortiSlim helps me with the afternoon/evening carbohydrate craving. I don't think that my weight loss is due to the CortiSlim alone, but I feel that it has helped.

SW: 196 5/24/04
CW: 179 7/28/04
GW: 145

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-29-2004 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Edited to correct mistyping
Old 07-31-2004, 05:49 PM   #9  
Indian Princess

Smile No to Cortislim

Sorry to say, Cortislim didn't work for me. After about 3 days I noticed I was getting extremely fatigued about 1 hour after taking it. Even in the morning after sleeping all night. I am not a person who just nods off, but at my desk at work I had trouble keeping my eyes open. I continued to take it 2 times daily, but stopped after like 2 weeks. I wrote to the company and they said some people do get tired and to only use it at dinner time or return it. I split the order with 2 women at work. 1 girl is still on it after like 2 months, no weight loss, but she is calmer. I did sleep more soundly, but I never had trouble sleeping to begin with. 1 of the ingredients is a source of Valium. So I say NO TO CORTISLIM.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have to ask where you get the information that CortiSlim is "a source of valium." Valium (diazepam) is a synthetic compound. I've never heard anything like that about it, and I've looked at lots of websites and other information.

It's been worth it to me to try CortiSlim, but clearly it's not for you. People who have been under stress for a long time probably ARE tired--but are kept going by the stress hormones in their system. Of course, there are other ways to reduce stress, such as yoga, exercise, biofeedback, meditation, long walks in the woods, and so forth, which don't involve supplements or drugs. And if I had time for all those things, I would do them, but I would rather not put off losing weight until I have the time.......
Old 08-02-2004, 05:45 PM   #11  
Indian Princess

Talking Thanks

I wasn't stressed when I started taking Cortislim. I wanted to try it to see if it worked. It didn't. My coworker is still taking it, and she hasn't lost anything. It just makes her sleep better at night. The ingredient I was referring to is called vanadyl sufate (5mcg of vanadium). That is what made me tired 1 hour after taking it. I wouldn't recommend this product as it is costly. Yoga, deep breathing exercise, walking and relaxing music are great for stress, but I am not under stress. So I guess won't believe the advertising of most pills. They don't really work, diet, exercise and good old laughter work best.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #12  
cherylh

Dr Jamie McMannus "Personal Guide to Wellness" and Dr David Heber "The L.A.Shape Diet" both reccomend meal replacement shakes and supplements for weightloss. They have many proven studies from UCLA Center for Human Dutrition that they are safe and effective
Old 10-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierkingl
I wasn't stressed when I started taking Cortislim. I wanted to try it to see if it worked. It didn't. My coworker is still taking it, and she hasn't lost anything. It just makes her sleep better at night. The ingredient I was referring to is called vanadyl sufate (5mcg of vanadium). That is what made me tired 1 hour after taking it. I wouldn't recommend this product as it is costly. Yoga, deep breathing exercise, walking and relaxing music are great for stress, but I am not under stress. So I guess won't believe the advertising of most pills. They don't really work, diet, exercise and good old laughter work best.
WOW !!! great info. THANKS !!!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:42 AM   #14  
Hip & fit but... chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Suzanne - I haven't read Shape in eons but I find it especially ironic that that appeared in the magazine - as the magazine is OWNED by a supplement company - Weider (who also owns Muscle & Fitness, M&F Hers, Flex, etc.)

Most of the fitness mags out there are in fact owned by supplement companies - for example, Muscle Media and Energy For Women are owned by EAS, etc.

I just find it VERY interesting indeed!
Even more interesting is the fact that every issue Shape actually contains ads for some of thopse products, like Diet Fuel and stuff

But I agree, there is no magic pill!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:47 AM   #15  
Hip & fit but... chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherh
Dr Jamie McMannus "Personal Guide to Wellness" and Dr David Heber "The L.A.Shape Diet" both reccomend meal replacement shakes and supplements for weightloss. They have many proven studies from UCLA Center for Human Dutrition that they are safe and effective

This is a bit of a generalization. Some meal replacement shakes and some supplements are safe, some are not. Taking milk thristle to help your liver in fat metabolism and taking Hydroxycut are not the same thing.

I do take some supplements, mainly liver support herbs and aminoacids, as well as essential fatty acids and a multi, but I steer clear of all those "fat burners". I once read this sentence, that really stuck with me: "In your quest to lose weight, you'll have to give up some things. Your health shoulnd't be one of them". Amen!
Closed Thread