Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #1  
I found my hipbones!

Default Chicken Burgers

I was a little nervous to make this dish b/c I've never used ground chicken, and DH doesn't even like regular burgers. However, we both ended up loving these; DH said it reminded him a bit of the fried pork tenderloins I used to make pre-SBD.

I found this in the Cooking Thin recipe archive on foodnetwork.com.

Chicken Burgers

1 pound ground white meat chicken
2 cups coarse to fine fresh bread crumbs, divided (not canned)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons grated sweet onion (or finely, finely minced)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon coarse grained salt
Cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

Be sure to use ground white meat chicken. If you're buying your ground chicken from the grocery story, ring the bell and ask them if they've got what you're looking for or if they'll grind some chicken breast for you. You can also grind it yourself in a food processor. Remove all excess fat and cartilage from boneless, skinless chicken breast and tenders, cut into 1-inch cubes and pulse until coarsely chopped.

Use fresh bread crumbs. It only takes a few extra minutes. Remove crusts from good bread or don't remove the crusts, tear into chunks and pulse in a mini chopper or food processor. Make a giant batch and freeze them so next time you can skip this step. (I used whole grain bread to make it SBD friendly.)

Place chicken in a mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold in milk, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, onion, cayenne, salt and pepper. The mixture will be very wet which means it will be a tiny bit icky forming it into patties but forge ahead. Place remaining 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs on a dinner plate or cookie sheet. Divide chicken meat into 4 or 5 piles (you decide which portion size is best for you) and using your hands, shape into patties. Coat each patty with bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and fry patties until golden and cooked through (about 170 degrees F), about 5 minutes per side. Serve immediately.

I fixed these up burger style with tomatoes and pickles. I may also try some mustard and lettuce with them next time.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving: Calories 291
Protein 27.22 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Total Fat 4.66 g
Saturated Fat 1.12 g
Fiber 1.14 g
Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I make chicken burgers all the time, they are wonderful. I buy the Perdue brand. I love ground chicken over ground turkey.

The way I make it is w/out breadcrumbs, I just throw in some poultry spices, and any kind of ckn spice you like, onion, sweet paprika, garlic, etc. They are VERY sticky so you might want to add a teaspoon of olive oil in the mix (normally I don't but you can). What I do is spray a plate w/pam first, plop some ckn mixture on it, spray some pam on top of the ckn blob and flatten it out into burger shapes. Also, when you grill it, if you grill it, spray the spatula first. I'm telling you, it is so worth it, YUM!!!!!!!!!!! low cal, low carb, high protein and low fat...what more can you ask for? I eat them every week and enjoy cold left overs.

Your right Fuzzy, make sure the package says Ground BREAST of Chicken, this way you are getting the white, lean meat and not the icky fatty stuff they throw in the regular ground (like chopped meat).

Here's the nutritional information on Ground Chicken and Ground Breast of Chicken from Perdue - the differences are staggering !!!!!!

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/product.asp

Ground BREAST of Chicken - Perdue Brand
4 OZ - Raw
Calories: 100
Cal From Fat: 5
Total Fat: 0.5 gm
Saturated Fat: ** (traces)
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Carbs: 0

Compaired to -

Regular Ground Chicken - Perdue Brand