View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #12
Suzanne 3FC
it's always something

So people really do read the library posts

I guess I'm not the norm here, then, because the largest chunk of weight I've ever lost with one method was done while eating bran muffins or toast and fruit for breakfast, bagels and nonfat cream cheese for snacks, sandwich and salad for lunches, pasta for dinner, lots of frozen dinners which are famous for their carbs, and I also got all of my veggies and proteins. However, I counted total calories, consuming an average of 1600 per day (never topping 2000) with 3 meals and 2 snacks, I didn't eat anything after 7pm, and I exercised twice daily, 7 days a week. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months (which I admit was too much too fast, but I'm just pointing out that you can live in carb-heaven and still lose weight). I stuck to it because I enjoyed what I was doing and it fit my lifestyle at the time. I was never hungry, either. (exercise is a natural appetite suppressant)

I agree with a lot of what the article says, and I highlighted one particular statement regarding calorie consumption. There have been studies in the news lately that say the same thing, so that's not the first time I've heard that it was all based on calorie consumption. From everything that I've read, studies and personal experiences, and based on the countless email we've received from people that lost the weight and have kept it off, -- the most successful diet plan you can go on is the one that you will actually stick to. If the low carb diet foods fit your personal tastes and lifestyle and you can stick to it, then it will work. If a higher carb Weight Watchers points/recipes/menus do it for you, then you'll be successful. And so on. Of course if you have a specific health concern, such as diabetes or insulin resistance, AND your doctor recommends a specific diet based on those issues, then that limits your options. However, for the rest of us, it's all based on personal tastes and lifestyles and what we can actually stick to. The only real trick to dieting successfully is finding something you can stick to.

We've received thousands, literally thousands of email over the years, from people that wanted to share their own diet techniques. Of those that not only lost the weight, but also kept it off, most did not do it by low carb or any other specific diet type. In fact, I only recall a small handful from people that kept the weight off via low carb or any other specific diet. The vast majority of people that were successful (long term) did it by creating their own personal diet plans. They tried various diets, picked the bits that they liked the best, and created a pesonalized program that they could stick to for the rest of their lives.

Naturally, if a specific diet plan works for you and you can stick to it, then that is a good and easy thing. But everyone is different, and our bodies are not identical. What works for you may not work for me, and so on. The biggest problem I see with diets that are current buzzwords, like Atkins or SBD, is that if someone follows them and doesn't lose weight, loses very little weight, or can't stick to it, then they think there is something wrong with them. Instead of stepping back and realizing that it isn't the plan for them, they panic and start cutting food intake or stay on induction too long, and end up doing more harm than good. Look around, it happens here, too. People can become obessive about it. Something we hear a lot is "I just realized my salad dressing had 9 grams of sugar instead of 3, have I ruined the effects of my diet? Will I stall? Do I have to start over?" and similar questions. Why panic over a tiny indescretion when the overall diet is still sound? It's turning something simple into rocket science, when the simple method works just as well, if not better.

Something else we need to consider is that the food manufacturers are wearing this out. The profit potential on low-carb foods is ENORMOUS, so it's naturally being shoved down our throats. The average consumer sees it everywhere, then they assume it's the only way to go, but it isn't. They are being taught that they can't lose weight unless they do it low-carb, when that simply isn't true. The same options are still out there, that have been successful for so many people before. As the article said Consequently, the solution might be more obvious than it appears.

When you go on a diet, any diet, you are eating less. Add exercise, and you burn more. You are going to lose weight. It's not rocket science.

Ok, that was just my 2 cents Please don't send hate mail or pull out your voodoo dolls Dieting is like religion and politics, and there will always be opposing sides. Remember, I'm not saying that any of the diets mentioned on our forum are wrong, bad, or don't work. They ALL have the potential to work, and that is my point.