Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Mid-loss maintaining week

Giving some thought to taking a maintainance week, and wondering if other people do something like this during their weight loss periods. Intentionally I mean, instead of just making the best of a plateau.

I find I'm burning out a bit. The recipes are getting bland, I can't get excited about meals, and cooking is feeling more chorelike than usual.

Before I slide off the wagon, I'm thinking about taking 5 days to a week to eat at maintenance calories, try some different things without having to worry about the impact and generally let my hair down. If I plan to do it, hop out and land on my feet it's much easier to climb back on the wagon after my walk to stretch my legs as opposed to slithering out the back and five-star frogsplashing into the mud.

Have you ever done this?

And successfully gotten back on track when you planned at the end of your hiatus?

I'll continue tracking through the period, because food tracking IS something I need to do for the rest of my life even when I reach goal.

Thoughts?
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 291/249/180

Height: 5'5"

I have never done it, but I think it sounds like an EXCELLENT idea. Good luck!!
JsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Yes, yes, yes! I do a two week maintenance break every few months. I think it was IanG who posted this article about it, but I really took it to heart and it has been emotionally (and physically) very important to my progress.

I thought I posted a thread about it but I can't find it. Boo. I put my maintenance break in my calendar AND I tell my boyfriend. That way it's set in stone. I know when it starts, and I know exactly what day I need to get BACK ON PLAN. No excuses!

Beyond that, it's not a free-for-all. It's not time to binge eat all day every day for a week. But it's a good chance to get those cravings out of the way. I rarely eat fast food, but I do still want it now and then. So, I get myself fast food, usually just once, while I'm on a break. I'll have hot wings one night, and break my "no alcohol during the week" rule.

I think it's great you are still planning to track what you're eating! That'll keep you from going overboard. I'd also stick to your exercise routine if you have one. Though of course, if you're feeling burnt out from working out, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from that, too. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #4  

Actually, I'm reaching the end of it now I started on Monday and it's been nice. Working out's been a little more problematic, but that was less to do with taking time off and more to do with overtime at the office. Tried a couple new recipes, didn't sweat how much oil I used in my food, indulged in some vietnamese food and totally ballparked the calories.

I feel much better, and willing to tighten back up on Sunday. Funny thing was I didn't even have the urge for junk or fast food. Part of that I admit is knowing how I feel when I eat it after eating healthy (anything really greasy leaves me with a full on stomach ache now, not to mention other effects that leave me being careful to always have a clear path to the plumbing) and part was the idea just didn't appeal to me. So it was larger portions of healthy foods, and a couple new things on the menu.

I like the idea of scheduling these in and making it a part of the routine. I think I'll put the next one on the calendar for May.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #5  

And I just read through the linked article, and I'm going to have to bookmark it. Interesting read and he presents a compelling case for a 2 week break instead of a one week hiatus.

Still going to restart on Sunday, but I think I'll plan for two weeks in May and see how that feels.