Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

I got through all the science and the studies on what excess grains/glutens/sugars are doing to us and it's hard to argue against the logic. He uses a BUNCH of Alzheimer's and dementia studies that indicate that increased gluten exposure causes inflammation in most of our tissues, including our brain and a number of mental disorders could be an enhanced sensitivity to gluten. He speculates that as many as half of the population has some elevated sensitivity to glutens, and they don't always manifest as celiac disease. He uses some case studies from his own patients to demonstrate.

I just started part II last night which is basically how to eat for brain health. I'll keep you posted.

Shannon I'll check out Fathead. Also going to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" after I get through "Wheat Belly".

Last edited by andrew80k; 06-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #17  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew80k View Post
I got through all the science and the studies on what excess grains/glutens/sugars are doing to us and it's hard to argue against the logic. He uses a BUNCH of Alzheimer's and dementia studies that indicate that increased gluten exposure causes inflammation in most of our tissues, including our brain and a number of mental disorders could be an enhanced sensitivity to gluten. He speculates that as many as half of the population has some elevated sensitivity to glutens, and they don't always manifest as celiac disease. He uses some case studies from his own patients to demonstrate.

I just started part II last night which is basically how to eat for brain health. I'll keep you posted.

Shannon I'll check out Fathead. Also going to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" after I get through "Wheat Belly".
Finished Fathead last night, the latter half had some great graphics on how sugar/insulin/fat storage work in the body. There is quite a bit of sarcasm in the movie directed at Morgan Spurlock (SuperSize Me) but if you aren't bothered by that the information is good. Supposedly there is some documentary out there called Sugar, the bitter truth, I think. I will look for that next. I like seeing the info presented by different folks. Fathead is very entertaining though, really enjoyed it. In my previous career I was involved in the data from alot of studies related to dementia/alzheimers. We were looking at it in relation to lipoproteins....increased lipoproteins (LDL) linked to dementia, etc.....now that I am understanding the carbs vs fat link to lipoproteins I can, personally, easily conclude that inflammation leads to dementia and inflammation is related to diet.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #18  

I got through Chapter 7 where he talks a little about supplementation, antioxidants, fats, and fasting. He discusses ketones and how to get to a mild ketosis. Ketosis is basically the body triggering the fat to glucose process. He also talks about our genetic reaction to fasting and how our bodies kick in the fat burning mechanism as well. And about how to kick off the process by which our brain creates new brain cells and the chemical compounds that encourage that. Pretty interesting as he is setting up the next couple of chapters in how to recover from grain brain.

Last edited by andrew80k; 06-13-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #19  
~Shannon

I have been mostly low carb for almost 3 months now. I do not track anything, I just try to stay away from carbs coming from grains and sugar. I have never tried to be in ketosis or tested for it but I can tell when I'm in it. Today I woke up and knew I was (it's a taste in my mouth that changes) and what do you know I had a 3 lb whoosh on the scale.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #20  

I have finally gotten finished with the book. The last part is mostly recipes and stuff so I skipped that until I'm a little further along in the process. We are going to try to work our way through the pantry until we get rid of all the gluten stuff. After that we will go gluten-free. We are shooting for the beginning of August.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #21  
~Shannon

Quote:
I have finally gotten finished with the book. The last part is mostly recipes and stuff so I skipped that until I'm a little further along in the process. We are going to try to work our way through the pantry until we get rid of all the gluten stuff. After that we will go gluten-free. We are shooting for the beginning of August.
Sounds like a plan! I did finally this past week remove all my grain products (pasta/rice) I had not eaten and gave them to my brother and his wife. I had never used them up when I started and had been still using them for sides for my family but since we are eating so much less (and hubby is supposed to be joining me so it's just the 4 yr old eating grains) they were going to sit there a long time....I needed the pantry space more!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-23-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #22  

Shannon, you mention that you monitor your blood sugar levels in other posts I've seen. What do you use? I'm thinking of getting something to test ketone levels.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #23  
~Shannon

Quote:
Shannon, you mention that you monitor your blood sugar levels in other posts I've seen. What do you use? I'm thinking of getting something to test ketone levels.
Andrew, I just use the cheapo Relion Prime meter from Walmart primarily because you can get strips for $9 (50 strips) but it only does glucose. If you are looking for a blood testing meter for ketones, I'd recommend the Nova which I think you'll have to order online. http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...Fc9j7Aod81sAOQ

Some of my low carb buddies on another group use that one and it seems to be the cheapest I've seen (for blood). You can also buy urine strips that are cheaper but some folks seem to get frustrated with them. I have not personally tried either - I can generally tell when I am in ketosis by how the scale moves. When it is dropping literally everyday, sometimes up to a pound a day, I know I'm in ketosis. Some folks get a metallic or bad taste in their mouth. (I have that but sometimes I eat excess carbs and still have it so, lol, maybe my breath is just as Olivia says "stinky", lol!!). Whatever meter you decide to get pay more attention to cost of strips, that is what you spend the most money on. I have considered getting the Nova just to check occasionally and use my Relion for my regular testing (I test fasting everyday and then postprandial if I do not feel well or it I eat something with excess carbs and I want to see if I spike...sometimes I just test randomly to see what is going on, lol. When I first started I tested after every meal, two hours postprandial, until I got a feel for how my body responds to certain foods but now I know that as long as I eat within a certain range of carbs, it will not spike, so I do not test postprandial as often). I hope that helps. Also, as you get into eating more low carb, I'd be happy to introduce you to the amazing zucchini and cauliflower, lol! I get alot of mileage out of them. (keep in mind though that I eat low carb/high fat so depending on your goals, the recipes I like may not work with your plan)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #24  

Thanks for the input Patti.

The research I've done calls the breath you get from ketosis similar to acetone, like nail polish remover smells. I do think other types of food causes different kinds of breath as well.

I found it interesting that too much protein can hinder ketosis. Something about if you expend too much of your energy from proteins and how the body breaks it down. I'm still researching so my explanations have been pretty vague.

Shannon I was looking at the Nova. The strips for testing ketones are expensive. Since I've just started looking into it, I'm not sure how often you should test. Is it daily? After every meal? I think I'll hold off until I think it's necessary. What I'm doing now seems to be working very well, so I think I'll just keep on keeping on.

Last edited by andrew80k; 06-25-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #25  
~Shannon

Personally I think ketone testing is unnecessary but some low carbers seem kind of addicted to it, lol. If you do get anything test daily in the morning until you are in ketosis (takes about 2-3 days for most folks) then just test if you want to be sure you are still in. Also, the level of carbs needed to get in ketosis varies significantly. Some folks say they have to be at 20, others say 50. It's very individual and can change over time as well. I truly have no idea if I am ever really in ketosis since I don't test but like I said, I generally feel like I must be when the scale moves rapidly.....but that's not really proof, just me guessing. Just editing to add, I think some people test in the beginning to see how low they have to go to get there and then they know to eat at that amount....start testing as they drop carbs to find the right amount for them but then don't test regularly after that. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-25-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #26  

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines. I like the whole idea of the ketogenic diet, but I'm not sure tracking them would really make that much of a difference. Since I'm tracking my carbohydrates as much as I can, I think that I probably won't need to track the ketones. I dropped just over half a pound since Monday so I think that is a good indication that I'm at least on the right track. I will need to pay attention to my sodium levels too apparently. Thanks for your input Shannon.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #27  
~Shannon

My other thought is that if the scale stops moving or the stick isn't purple (or meter reading isn't X), you are going to do the same thing....re-evaluate and make changes or wait patiently. I am on day 4 of completely being on plan but my scale is stuck. I know my eating is fine. I'm just going to wait patiently. I have hormonal things going on right now so maybe that is affecting the scale....maybe I should increase my water....you get the idea. I'm just not sure what spending that extra money gets me. I'd rather buy more cauliflower and cheese, lol! For me, monitoring glucose has a purpose, just not sure the other does....but if I change my mind later I'll be sure to keep you posted.