Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/222/198

Height: 6.4

Default Coconut oil for roasting

My previous thread got deleted, so I'm asking the same question here, under "healthy recipes". Hope it does not get deleted again
Do you use coconut oil for baking and roasting? Is it true that if using this kind of oil all food tastes like coconut?

Thanks.
bbnk85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #2  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

You can use coconut oil anywhere you would use any oil or butter/margarine. It does add a very slight coconut undertone (think more hints of versus a distinct flavor) to whatever you're cooking, which can add another layer of flavor complexity to a dish, great if you like coconut, eh if you don't.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #3  

Well yeah, that's my problem right there. I don't like the taste of coconut. But classic oil (like olive oil) becomes toxic, if heated too much. (that's what I've read). So I am looking for a healthy alternative.
Which oil should I use than?
Tnx!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #4  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnk85 View Post
Well yeah, that's my problem right there. I don't like the taste of coconut. But classic oil (like olive oil) becomes toxic, if heated too much. (that's what I've read). So I am looking for a healthy alternative.
Which oil should I use than?
Tnx!
Use olive oil, as long as you're using regular roasting temperatures (350 degrees F) then it won't smoke. Smoking is where it's bad at that happens at close to 400 degrees with olive oil. Honestly, if you're roasting meat, then even plain old butter is fine (all fat calories being equal), you won't get THAT much extra saturated fat. The fat is really to encourage browning. Using an equal blend of olive oil and butter will increase the olive oils smoke point (which is why a lot of people will saute in an olive oil/butter blend, healthier butter, higher cooking temp olive oil).

You might want to check out this link to an article that clears things up about the cooking science a little: http://scienceornot.net/2012/09/15/i...ith-olive-oil/

Remember, the Mediterranean diet is considered among the healthiest in the world and they cook EVERYTHING with olive oil, including pizzas which are cooked at much higher temperatures than 350.

The main thing is to avoid frying in olive oil, but for any other type of cooking, really, it's fine.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #5  

Thank you for this information and setting my mind to peace
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/134/125

Height: 5'3

I cook my eggs with kale sautéed in coconut oil and I honestly don't taste coconut flavor at all.
Betty Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Coconut oil varies greatly in coconut flavor, ranging from very coconutty to virtually flavorless.

The lighter the flavor, the more refined/processed, and possibly less healthul, but how much less healthful is up for debate.

I use both, saving the refined coconut oil for dishes I want to have no coconut flavor and for higher temperature applications or any dish I'm going to serve hubby (who dislikes even a hint of coconut flavor, especially in eggs and other mildly flavored foods easily overpowered by other flavors).

Refined coconut oil is to cold-pressed coconut oil as ghee (clarified butter) is to fresh butter.

That is, coconut oil is heated and filtered to create refined coconut oil. Like ghee, the solids are filtered out, and it's the solids that carry the most distinctive flavor.

Also, as with butter, there are various ways to separate the solids from coconut oil, and the higher the heat used, the less flavorful and the less healthful.

Even refined coconut oil (and butter) though, are probably better than most vegetable oils as they contain medium-chain fats (found mostly, if not only in dairy and tropical oils) which new research suggests have unique health benefits (at least in moderate amounts). They're also said to be more hunger-satiating than other oils.

Refined coconut oil is usually cheaper than unrefined, which makes it a good coconut oil for beginners, sort of like "training wheels" for the more flavorful, less processed coconut oils.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-10-2014 at 04:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I use peanut oil because it has a very high smoke point and is low in unhealthy saturated fats. Strangely peanut oil does not trigger an allergic reaction in those who are allergic to nuts. Cooking oil studies by the Mayo Clinic show that Coconut oil is high in saturated fats.

I find the major drawback of peanut oil is it is rather expensive to buy so I reserve it for high heat applications such as baking.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjohn6985 View Post
It is not true that cooking with coconut oil tastes like coconut. Cooking with coconut oil is good for health as it has low fat content.
Unrefined coconut oil smells like coconut and does add a mild coconut flavor to foods. Refined coconut oil has no coconut odor or flavor.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-19-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #10  

Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, but newer studies suggest that vegetable saturated fats act differently than animal saturated fats. They seem to increase "good cholesterol" without increasing "bad cholesterol".

Coconut oil also contains medium chain fatty acids that occur only in dairy and tropical oils. Studies have found that foods containing medium chain fats are more satiating (filling you up sooner and satisfying hunger longer) than other fats
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #11  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I use organic unrefined coconut oil, but only in sweet cooking because I do taste coconut. The only other thing we use it for is in the kettle popcorn maker, it gives the corn sort of a sweet taste and we never feel the need to add any butter or salt.

Otherwise it's just pure virgin olive oil in our kitchen.

PS, we follow (now) the Mediterranean diet, so delicious.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote