Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: me:153/129/130 him:243/203/185

Height: me 5'5" him 5'9"

Default Scared in Maintenance

Hi all- I am starting a new thread to reach more people, I posted on the maintainers and there are not too many...thank you Maile for your reply

I am confused/scared now that I am in maintenance- I just started 2 days ago. I lost 4.5 more lbs in phase 3, and now in phase 4, I understand the whole 5 days on, one fun day, on phase one day...but I am not sure how to handle the 5 days.

How much fruit should I add back in? I used to be a vegan/vegetarian and would eat a large amount of fruits and veggies (carbs!)- Now with this new knowledge of how even the "good" carbs can cause weight gain, I am uncertain how much to bring back. I am still relying on quest bars and IP pudding, but want to get those out of my diet and rely on real foods...but what do I do for snacks?

I really don't want to slide down the slippery slope that is weight regain, and want this to be my last diet ever. I have learned so much about the science of our bodies and why I kept losing and gaining on that neverending yoyo for my whole life.

Anyway- any successful or even relapsed maintainers- I would be indebted to hear your tips, ideas of what a day of eating looks like...etc. Thank you so much~
EasierWithTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #2  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

If you review some of the older Maintenance threads there is a spreadsheet that has a sample week. It was created by an IP clinic in Alaska. I can't remember where it was, I will look around. There is also a good explanation of Phase 4 sheet that is in the stickies too I think. I have been collecting all of this stuff and studying it so I will feel prepared in maintenance because I have the same fears you do!
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #3  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

I found them on page 4 of the first sticky thread at the top of the forum.
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #4  

I started Sunday and am so confused and scared too, I will be interested to hear what others have to say as well. I dont want to gain!
twinsmonmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/148/160

Height: 5'7"

Great question: I am by no means an expereinced maintainer but I'll tell you what I'm doing:

I have been on Maintence for a little over 1 week now. I too am scared. My clinic says it is good to be scared because the people that don't seem scared in the beginning of maint. often regain very quickly.

What they have stressed to me is keeping fat and carbs separate. Which is quite tricky. I think this might be easier as a vegan because you can find a lowfat protein source to have with your carb meal.

I eat a phase 3 breakfast w/ all food groups

lunch is my "fat" meal: I have protein, veggies and salad. If I am eating red meat or pork or salmon, the higher fat proteins I eat them at this fat meal. If am eating cheese, sauteed veggies, or full fat salad dressing I eat them the fat meal - I don't add them all the same day obviously - I have not heard of a goal to keep daily fat below for phase 4 - would love that info

For dinner I have my carb meal : protein, veggies, carb(s)
I choose a lower fat protein source, don't put oil on my veggies when I prepare them and choose 1 serving of a complex carb like Quinoa, bulgur, kashi, etc as a side dish.
You can add fruit to this meal also
W/ a carby vegetable like corn I do not have an additional side dish of complex carbs.

I have a snack before bed - I have been having a quest bar - I haven't figured out a good snack that keeps carbs and fat separate. Still working on that would love suggestions.

Did this for the first week and lost 1 lb even though I changed my official w/i time from first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - to afternoon after eating.

My coach is away but the one I saw Tuesday said it looks good.
She also suggested sticked to a calorie count around my BMR - I asked because once I got in all that food I felt the calories were to high each day they were coming in around 1800 - which seemed way to high to me.

It is very confusing - I'd love to see what others are doing and hear any feedback on my eating.
onmyway1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #6  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I have been maintaining since November, and here's what worked for me.

Before I even started maintenance, I began using MFP to track everything. Once I started maintenance, I approached it as phase 3 with extras. I added back a carb at dinner, an apple for a snack, etc a little at a time. I actually continued to lose for several months (slowly) while I worked my way up to a calorie level where I was maintaining. Each week I would look at my average daily calories and my weight and if I was still losing allow myself more extras.

I understand being apprehensive about this. I think easing into it this way helped a lot with that.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/148/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the info Lizzy. That's makes alot of sense.
onmyway1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #8  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I was scared when I entered maintenance also. I basically ate very much like I did in Phase 3.

I eat a Phase 3 breakfast. I eat protein and vegetables for lunch and dinner.
I was very worried about adding carbs so I might only have a half cup of beans or a small sweet potato with dinner.

I eat nuts for a snack.

The mixing of fats and carbs I usually only do at breakfast.

I do have a glass of wine some nights..It has not seemed to hurt.

Unlike most people here, I do not do fun days. I used to be a binge eater and cannot return to those trigger foods that set me off. For me it is high sugar and refined carbs that were the problem. Once in awhile I might indulge in a fun meal..higher fat but generally low carb.

My advice is to add things slowly. Experiment with what works for you. You can always do Phase 1 if your pounds go up.

I also exercise 6/7 times a week. I exercised the entire time on IP.

I also found that Refuse to Regain had some excellent advice on maintenance.If you look at some back posts you can see some of her ideas.

It is scary at first but eventually you will come to enjoy maintenance. I no longer use the packets.

Two other tools I use. I weigh daily and use www.weightgrapher.com to keep an average weight progress. The other thing that helped me was using the National Weight Control's idea of setting a range of 3 percent up or down from your goal weight. Then you are not so focused on just one number. However, some people find weighing everyday is not beneficial to them.

There are lots of friendly people on the maintainer thread but very often people are too busy to post.

Last edited by Maile; 08-31-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote