Old 07-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #1  
not for anyone but me

S/C/G: 223/175/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Chicken thighs?

So I normally purchase chicken breast. But I like dark meat and haven't had any in a long while and was excited to see boneless skinless chicken thighs, thinking it would be a perfect match for me and my calorie counting. Well... imagine my surprise when I opened the package to cut into 4oz freezer baggies like I always do... These things were covered in fat! SOOO much fat. I had a huge pile of fat on one side and 11 baggies of 4oz thighs that still had some white marbling on them which really bothered me! The nutrition info says 130 cal per 4 oz serving, but is the fat included? I cut off as much as I could. I've never had to prep chicken so much and really didn't know the proper way to do it. Every time I opened a flap of meat there was a nice huge glob of gooey white fat nestled inside. Webbed between pieces and everytime I grabbed at pieces they slip through my fingers or indent instead of cut away with my knife... ew.. So my questions are does the nutrition include this fat they gave me along with my chicken? Are chicken thighs not a good healthy alternative? Is it possible to clean them nicely like chicken breast? Should I "charge" myself more than 130 cal/per 4oz? Why are there so many different calories for chicken breast/thighs/drums? Shouldn't it all be the same? How come when I try to log chicken thighs on livestrong it says one brand is 200 cal per/4 oz and another says 130 cal and everything inbetween? Also if anyone wanted to know, I purchased the great value brand from Winco. Looking forward to answers! Thanks for reading!!

Last edited by raworz; 07-26-2013 at 05:32 PM.
raworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2  

I'd go with the 200 calories for 4 oz. They are a lot more chemicals than breasts because the are so marbled with fat. Different brand will have different calories depending on how and what the chickens were fed. Walmart isn't noted for their meat section. Chicken thighs at other stores will have less fat still on them.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Dark meat is usually more fattier thus more caloric than its less fattier white counterpart. I definitely second the 200 calories for a 4 oz serving. I hear dark meat is more flavorful so go for it if it's worth it to you.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #4  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I was just reading the other day (who knows where, I wish I could remember!) that chicken thighs were a smart choice because they are "almost as lean as chicken breasts." I love dark meat, though, so I'd rather just eat with their fattiness in mine and skimp elsewhere.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #5  
not for anyone but me

S/C/G: 223/175/149

Height: 5'5"

Thank you ladies for the responses! I will go with 200 instead of 130 like the label said. But I have another question, when cooking meat with fat does the fat absorb into the meat? or does it melt off into the pan? Could I reduce the amount of fat I ingest by cooking on a rack and having a drip pan below? And what would that do for the calories? would it be the same?
raworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

absolutely! the fat with the chicken thighs is ON the meat, not in it, so anything you can do to get the fat to drip off is a good thing. sorry i can't help with the calorie count, but i do know that dark meat has more B vitamins than white meat. so at least that's something good.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote