Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wow Becky! That's amazing! So glad to hear she is doing so well. I, too, look forward to being old enough to say and do anything I want to (and maybe eat whatever I want to as well).

So far as Bikram Yoga and smells.... I have almost zero sense of smell. This can be a very good thing. So, I rarely smell anything in yoga. Once in awhile I smell someone who hasn't bathed or (hope I don't offend) what we jokingly call "the curry people". The demographics where I live have a high percentage of Indian and Asian people, so you can imagine. My dh does yoga with me occasionally and he says the smell isn't usually too bad. My experience is that "clean" sweat doesn't have a bad odor-- it's just when someone is already stinky and then starts sweating that it gets bad. I always take off my makeup before class (have had burning mascara in my eyes and it hurts) but I put perfume and deoderant on in the morning and I think it has mostly dissipated by the afternoon when I go...

Sounds like you did great Jen!!

Andrea-- I wondered the same thing too. Acai is a fruit I guess? They blend it with soy milk, flax seed and a few other good things (can't remember) and top it with sliced strawberries, bananas, a little granola and a little honey. They have other bowls with different ingredients but that is the only one I've tried. Oh! They also top it with goji berries which are supposed to have tons of anti-oxidants-- I actually bought some and put them on my oatmeal today.

I'm on day three of my oatmeal experiment and so far so good. I had been eating the same breakfast almost every single day-- a egg white "mug" with salsa and boca crumbles with berries and a fiber one brownie. Decided to change things up and am enjoying my oatmeal. I'm making a chocolate banana oatmeal with berries (including goji!). I am getting hungry earlier but I think it's because I'm eating a smaller volume of food.

Two pounds above my redline. I can almost see the light. I'm wearing my skinny jeans today-- they are TIGHT but my bigger size are BAGGY. Hoping they stretch as the day goes on.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #32  
Workin' It

Oh Becky, I covet your 'stick'! I've used them after races at vendor tables before but have never bought one myself. I want one desperately! I'm glad that your grandmother is well. I had her in my mind all day yesterday.

Dagmar - enjoy your visit to the house! DH and I visited ours often while it was being built and it really allowed us to make plans early.

Jen - great job on the lunch run! Woo!

Allison - what are you going to do when your schedule clears? It sounds wonderful! I can't imagine having a free weekend right now.

Andrea - I'm glad that you guys went to the gym, I know that felt better than sitting around.

Saef - I'm sorry about the drama with your wall. I just don't understand the fundamental reason behind why they are denying it. I know its frustrating.

I got some sleep last night but am still tired. Some PMS this week is killing me.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Allison - what are you going to do when your schedule clears? It sounds wonderful! I can't imagine having a free weekend right now.
The main difference will be that my in-laws are gone for the summer. That means no more Sunday afternoons and dinners with them, so more freedom to do what I want.

For the past several months, my schedule (on the weekends) was golf, shower, grocery shop (Saturday) and most of the late afternoon off. Sunday was golf, shower, laundry, lunch, movie, fix and eat dinner and then be too tired to do much else.

While we'll still try to fit in some golf in the mornings before it gets too hot (although I'd rather take lessons) there will be the main part of Sunday that will be free from just about everything. I want to do yoga and then clean up and relax and read some of the myriad of books I've downloaded over the past several months (reading the end of Defending Jacob right now). I know that once I start doing some sort of exercise, the remaining morning will be easier for me to mentally get into it. Besides, no more getting DS up and fed in the mornings gives me more time for myself!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #34  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks, I am at home today trying to get over a cough I picked up a couple days ago. DH is over at the hospital with the girls where he is still working remotely. This cough is so frustrating! If I go to the hospital I have to wear a mask, and I'm constantly afraid of infecting the babies. If I stay home I feel bad for not being with them and not putting in the time to work on breastfeeding with them. I'm hopeful that if I stay home and rest today tomorrow the cough will have improved. It's kind of strange because I don't think I've ever had a cough like this that didn't come with any other symptoms. It started as a tickle in my throat, and is now one of those nasty chest coughs with lots of phlegm. Yuck.

In other news, the girls are doing well and are now both over 4 pounds!

Becky, I'm glad your grandma will be home soon. It is a mixed blessing of old folks to be able to say whatever they want -- on the one hand, it must be liberating to be completely honest. On the other hand, I find that old people tend to say a lot of really racist or otherwise offensive things.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Hi folks, I am at home today trying to get over a cough I picked up a couple days ago. DH is over at the hospital with the girls where he is still working remotely. This cough is so frustrating! If I go to the hospital I have to wear a mask, and I'm constantly afraid of infecting the babies. If I stay home I feel bad for not being with them and not putting in the time to work on breastfeeding with them. I'm hopeful that if I stay home and rest today tomorrow the cough will have improved. It's kind of strange because I don't think I've ever had a cough like this that didn't come with any other symptoms. It started as a tickle in my throat, and is now one of those nasty chest coughs with lots of phlegm. Yuck.

In other news, the girls are doing well and are now both over 4 pounds!

Becky, I'm glad your grandma will be home soon. It is a mixed blessing of old folks to be able to say whatever they want -- on the one hand, it must be liberating to be completely honest. On the other hand, I find that old people tend to say a lot of really racist or otherwise offensive things.
Jessica, I thought of you Sunday. We had a baby baptism this Sunday at my church. This baby was so tiny I was surprised when they said he was two months old, turns out he had been a preemie, but he is fine, growing and healthy and beautiful, too.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #36  
Workin' It

Jessica, I'm so glad that the babies are doing well!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- are you feeling better? So, are you able to breastfeed them now (when you aren't sick)? That's awesome!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #38  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jessica has kennel-cough.

I didn't infect you through my laptop screen, did I? I was hacking and spitting into tissues at work the other day like an old coal miner with emphysema. (That would describe my grandfather, so I know of what I speak.)

Have you done that twin photo yet where the mother's got one in either arm, nestled kind of like a pair of footballs? Yes, I want that for your new avatar.

I'm whistling bravely over here because, yet again, the Zoning Board postponed making any determination on our flood wall. They want reports from three more engineering firms, those that aren't part of the dispute. But our lawyer is certain that no matter how the decision goes, there'll be a lawsuit, either from us or our opponents.

And I am reading that the National Weather Service is predicting a more severe hurricane season than we had last year, the year of Sandy.

I am starting to wonder if I am looking at a situation where I've got to cut my losses in my real estate investment.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #39  

No hurricanes in California although we did have a mild earthquake last night. I was sitting on my couch watching TV when my couch moved ever so slightly. I was surprised to see reports that it was a 5.7 quake. I would have placed at at a 3 as I barely noticed it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have a friend in Yuba, CA who felt the quake, too, bargoo. While 5.7 isn't huge it is usually one that is easily felt. It's hard to feel those 3.0 ones.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #41  

My guess that it might have been a 3 as the movement was so slight and very gentle, I even questioned for a minute if there was an earthquake. A 5.7 quake can surely be felt, I am a little ways from the epicenter, though., about 167 miles from here.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-24-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #42  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Michele, I'm still sick. I can sort-of breastfeed them, which is to say, they attempt to latch on and eat, with varying degrees of success, then they get a tube feeding either concurrently or afterward. I haven't tried to feed them the past couple days because I have been coughing so much. They get my pumped breastmilk in their tube feedings in any case so nutritionally it is the same.

Saef, no, I have not gotten to hold them at the same time yet. I am looking forward to being able to take that photo though! Now that they're both off breathing support they are easier to take in and out of their isolettes, and the nurses say that maybe next week they can move into cribs in the same room. (Right now they have two adjoining rooms with a sliding door in between.)

Bargoo, 5.7 is a decent size earthquake, but 167 miles is a long ways! It's funny because out here since there are not regular earthquakes, when a 3.0 or something happens everyone freaks out.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #43  

I have been in many earthquakes including a 7.1 . The 3 was my guess and nothing official.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #44  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

My sister lived in San Fran for several years and I've still experienced more earthquakes than she has - 3 in total. All small, but noticeable. A very weird feeling.

saef, I share your anxiety about rain. My neighbor continues to refuse to fix his roof, so the rainy weather we're having now means I have water in my basement and coming in through my kitchen cabinet - all caused by the water flooding off his roof. I took pictures this time and am going to call my insurance company. I think I'm going to have to take him to court. UGH. Anyway, my sympathies on having to make a difficult decision about your home.

jessica, I hope you feel better soon and the girls progress enough that you can hold them both together!

I've had a pretty good week. I've been exercising every day and doing better with my eating. I'm finally feeling more comfortable at work and am starting to enjoy some of my young coworkers. But I'm glad for the 3-day weekend!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote