PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/212/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Default New to forum, but not to trying to lose weight with PCOS

Normally I would avoid posting about myself somewhere so public, but as all PCOS girls know, everyone else doesn't truly understand the struggles of losing weight with PCOS, and after lurking for awhile I realized that getting involved on here might bring me more accountability and support. (My BFF is 110 sopping wet and bless her heart she is my biggest cheerleader, but it would be nice to talk to people who can relate a little better!!!).

I am 26, and was diagnosed with PCOS at 19. I have never, ever liked that diagnoses or thought it was really accurate. I have spent 7 years fighting it. I don't even tell new drs (I move a LOT) that I have it, because I refuse to believe it... I still think there is something else going on. PCOS is way too broad of a diagnosis. I have never had a cyst. I am insulin resistant and overweight. In college my periods went from being every 28 days on the dot to 28-35 days. I thought that was SOOOO irregular, my dr said PCOS and put me on birth control. I don't remember the first pill I was on, but I ended up crying constantly after a couple of months and got another dr to switch me to Yaz. I was on that for about 2 years... and then I got lazy and stopped taking it. I had graduated at that point and wasn't around 100s of other females in the dorms, and my periods went right back to normal (28-32 days ish, depending on stress). I was also on metformin for a year in college, had TERRIBLE side effects, and gained a ton of weight. I took myself off of it and never looked back.

Prior to being diagnosed I gained about 25lbs in a year, and have gained about 45 more in the 6 years after that. I decided when I tipped 220 that it was time for a change. Weirdly... the lbs have been melting off at this point. I'm pretty sure that will stop any day now and I don't want to get discouraged and quit when that happens, so that is why I am here.

In the last month I have started back on Yaz, mainly because I am sick of my face looking like I was 16 (I had PERFECT skin in HS with no work, go figure). I have also started trying to take my Vitamin D more religiously. After reading some of the boards, I have realized what a huge link there is between vitamin D deficiency and those diagnosed with PCOS. At most I am willing to admit I have a non-traditional form of PCOS that maybe belongs in other classes of issues, since I don't have reproductive issues at all (that I know of).

Has anyone else noticed changes from taking Yaz (I was terrified I would gain weight like I did before when I was on BC) or upping their vitamin D? I'm hoping this combo will help me get down enough that I'm encouraged not to quit this time. I want to be HS skinny (or close) by the time my 10 year reunion comes around.. which gives me about a year and a half.
linsintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Linsintx,

Welcome and Congrats on your weight loss so far! That's an awesome start!

So, you started losing weight once you started Yaz again? (10lbs in a month with out doing any diet changes?)

And did you start the vitamin D at exactly the same time?
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/212/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Thanks!

I have started tracking my meals... but I haven't really changed much. I still like a glass of wine with dinner. I still eat fast food 3-4 times a week because of my work schedule (worst thing ever, I know). I've been to two fish fry parties and eaten tons of fried fish, fries, and pie. Didn't bother tracking those, don't even want to know. Once I realized I was somehow finally losing more than the usual 3-5 lbs (which I always promptly gained back), I decided maybe I should be a little more intentional since something seems to finally be working for me.

I have taken Vitamin D before (my levels were just under 20 when I was checked back in 2010, and my dr made me take massive amounts, and then I fell off the wagon bc I hate pills....). I started intentionally taking it again about 5 weeks ago, and it hasn't been perfect, but I probably remember 5-6 times a week. I'm wondering if that, with something in the Yaz controlling my hormones better, is helping my body to act normal for once.
linsintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to the forum. It is definitely hard to lose weight with PCOS. But it's not impossible. You CAN do this!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote