Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #1  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Choosing Packets at 1st Consultation

Tomorrow I go for my starting consultation and I'll be purchasing my packets (although I'll be actually starting when I return from my vacation).

For some reason, I'm kind of panicking about what packets to buy. I don't know if I'll be allowed to buy individuals or not and this program will be stretching my budget (so there's no buying extra packets as alternatives).

Does anyone have any tips/guidance about some of the "safer" choices? Or the strategy you used in choosing packets (whether in individuals or boxes)?

Note: I know there is a post about favorite packets but I haven't seen a thread about choosing packets in phase 1. Feel free to point me to a thread if I've overlooked something.

thanks!
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

I think one thing to be aware of is if you prefer the sweets or the savoury when you choose. Some people love the sweets but purposefully try to stay away from them, but if you are just starting a diet that may be hard to do. I myself am a sweets person and find everything I buy each week kind of goes this way. I have not been buying soup, omlette, or any of the "chip" type snacks. I get the cappachino and choclate drinks, and either bars or soy puffs of different flavours. Now my husband who likes savoury food had the omlettes, soups, and dill pickle zippers. And that is what he had. Anyway it is something I would take into consideration. Sorry I do not remember the threads you are looking for.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

My coach didn't give me a choice but put together a selection of various items so I could try a mix. They were sweet, savory, puddings, shakes, etc. It was a good way to force me to try variety.

However, a problem with this can be that in your first few days you may come across packets you don't like and won't want to try again. I did but then later was given another variety pack by someone going off the program. When I tried the same things I hated the first time, I found I loved them the second time.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Most clinics include the first week (some give more) of food, and purposely give a set variety of packets so that you can try different things.

Everyone's tastes are different, so it's hard to give universal suggestions for packets. What I love, someone else may think is vile, and vice versa

One thing to remember is that you only get ONE restricted item per day, so make sure that for every one restricted item you choose two unrestricted items. Restricted items are higher in carbs and will be noted on your Phase 1 protocol sheet so you know what they are.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #5  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Hopefully you will be able to buy individual packets. I bought a wide variety of packets the first week to find out what I liked. My tastes have changed since I started and some things I didn't like at first, I like now. If you go for vanilla and chocolate drink packets, they can be "dressed" up with flavor extracts and sugar free syrups. They are very safe choices. The strawberry wafer is the restricted item I have always loved. It helped me feel like I had a treat to look forward to in the especially difficult first week.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #6  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Thanks all, your tips were exactly the type of help I was looking for!

And thanks for the reminder of the restricted/unrestricted ratio. I was just reading the old threads, which debated eating restricteds or not.

Last edited by rubygirl05; 02-27-2013 at 11:41 PM.
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #7  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

You should get a starter kit with 27 packets of food, should be prepicked out for you, its called a quick start. its 27 different packets so that you can taste 27 of the 65 we carry cuz the next week you have to buy by the box, at least that is what I do at my clinic. They should also give you a menu for exactly what to eat when for your first week.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #8  
Started IP 12-26-2012

I didn't get a starter kit. I was to pick out exactly 21 packets (3/day for 7 days) 14 non-restricted; 7 restricted. But I got to choose.

I didn't duplicate anything so I could try as many different things as possible. I tried a lot of the puddings, soups, drinks, omelets, some bars and the soy puffs.

Some stuff was pretty tough to choke down, but it costs so much I made myself swallow. Others I enjoyed and still eat. Everyone's different. I am definitively more of a savory person than sweet and stick with the soups and omelets mostly.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #9  

It was hard for me to eat some of the stuff I received in my beginner packet. I found that I love the premixed chocolate shake, the chicken soup and the dark chocolate pudding. I have a box of the bars (chocolate PB, I think) that I love as well. I mostly stick to the drinks and the soups but I'm one of those people that can eat the same thing over and over.
ecmcnamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #10  
Reboot Jan 2018

I didn't get a starter pack so had to buy the whole box. I've still got lots that I don't like.
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #11  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I got a 'starter pack' with a selection of different things, but I didn't get a suggested menu (which I really wouldn't have needed anyway). From day 1 I've always had he opportunity to swap packets I didn't like. This has certainly made me less hesitant to buy full boxes.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #12  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

As you can see here, every clinic is different. I am always able to choose 27 individual packets each week as " mix and match". I can trade back ones I'm not using.

I kept a running list for the first month or so and rated every packet as " love it" " ok " " yuk " "yum" etc. after a while I knew what I liked and basically stuck to it.

My favorites: breakfast : piņa colada, mango- peach, pineapple banana drinks
Lunch: broc-cheese soup, chicken soup, leek soup, a la king, herb and cheese omelet
Snack: double chic bar, chic- peanut bar, sw cheese puffs, white cheddar ridges, choc soy puffs, garlic soy nuts, BBQ soy nuts

Also RTD chocolate and vanilla for when I'm traveling.

Those are my favorites, but everyone has different tastes, so you'll find your favorites, too. Enjoy!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #13  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I got a starter kit with a variety of packets plus 2 restricted items and a specific menu for my first week. I can go back at any time and purchase by the box or individual packet. I am gradually building up a selection so that I can just buy a few boxes each week and still keep variety...although not sure I should be trusted with a full box of the strawberry wafers! .

I too kept track of yum, so-so and yuck. Only had one yuck. Will see how that changes over the next few months. I have tried all the packets, but not all of the restricted items as I try not to eat those every day, I generally stick with non-restricted items.

I heard last week that some new items are coming out. Anyone know what?

Last edited by Msbehaving; 02-28-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I heard last week that some new items are coming out. Anyone know what?
Yes!

I posted last week that, in May, there will be a non-restricted brownie, non-restricted garlic & herb potato chips, a cappucino RTD and a ready-to-eat chocolate pudding cup!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #15  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

I also got a starter pack an a menu to follow. Love the menu it was so much easier to follow especially the first week. As u stay on program your taste buds change
Sammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote