Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default Lost 7lbs in 7 days but is it just water weight?

I was about 12 stones 4lbs one week ago and am now 11 stones 11lbs. I am 5'2 and aiming to lose at least 2 stones.

I have PCOS so losing weight is a real struggle. No amount of exercise works. And no diet worked in the past. But still, my GP told me to look at my diet. I felt like I was hardly eating anything so got a little offended. I mean does he want me to starve myself?

But then I had a look online and I saw lots of advice about people with PCOS going low carb.

The last time I lost weight was when I was eating a severely low calorie diet, eating once a day. I only lost 1lb a week during that time and was down to 10 stones. But this time the weight is coming off, and it is coming off fast!!!

I eat three meals a day and it's not like I am starving myself this time round. The only thing that's changed is that I eat low carb. I am vegetarian so Adkins is not for me. But it works!!

I know I should be eating about 6 meals a day but I'm still learning what to eat and what not to eat and I'll introduce extra meals in later.
rishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2  
I WILL get there...again

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I would definitely guess a good portion of it is water weight. Keeping in mind that 1 pound of fat is equal to about 3,500 calories that means losing 7 pounds of fat would mean a calorie deficit of 24,500. Of course taking off excess water weight isn't a bad thing either.
bunnabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/171/140

Height: 5'2

I think it prolly was water weight. I had the same thing happen to me.
Ktieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

A lot of it was probably water. But, you probably also shifted about a lbs of body fat. What happens when we go low carb is that we deplete the glycogen stores in out liver and muscles, and that glycogen is stored with a grams of water, so as its depleted we lose water weight. The first two weeks, while your body adapts to the lost glycogen stores is where you see all thos pounds falling off. After that, it will slow to 1 to 2 lbs a week.
The reason why low carb works so well with PCOS sufferers is due to the increased glycemic control and decreased insulin response to blood sugar spikes. Insulin is the hormone that drives fat storage in our bodies, and many things can impact insulin response, mostly a high carb consumption, but also too much protein or just too many calories in general.
Good luck, even if the initial loss was water it still feels good to have lost that water weight. Now, remember, you will experience a stall here either this week or next while your body adjusts. Don't freak out, just keep on keepin on, you might stall on he scale but you will still be losing fat. This is where measuring is a good idea because the scale will stall from time to time.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #5  

I thought so. I want to lose weight but want to do it the healthy way so it stays off a lot longer. This diet is not just a diet for me, it's a lifestyle change. I just hope I am able to lose fat in the process even with PCOS. I know it's more difficult to do with this condition but I hope not impossible.
rishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi rishu -- it's just not about the 'weight' ....the number on the scale....losing the water that we retain through eating the wrong foods has an effect on us just like the fat does, so it's GOOD to lose some water weight....if we stay consistent to counting our carbs and eating healthy....the weight will come off....maybe not in big woooshes like this week but it will come off...it has too....hang in there!
Elizabeth779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I have a problem with eating anything that had a mother, but I agree completely w/ ghost.

lot of it was probably water. But, you probably also shifted about a lbs of body fat. What happens when we go low carb is that we deplete the glycogen stores in out liver and muscles, and that glycogen is stored with a grams of water, so as its depleted we lose water weight. The first two weeks, while your body adapts to the lost glycogen stores is where you see all thos pounds falling off. After that, it will slow to 1 to 2 lbs a week.
The reason why low carb works so well with PCOS sufferers is due to the increased glycemic control and decreased insulin response to blood sugar spikes. Insulin is the hormone that drives fat storage in our bodies, and many things can impact insulin response, mostly a high carb consumption, but also too much protein or just too many calories in general.
Good luck, even if the initial loss was water it still feels good to have lost that water weight. Now, remember, you will experience a stall here either this week or next while your body adjusts. Don't freak out, just keep on keepin on, you might stall on he scale but you will still be losing fat. This is where measuring is a good idea because the scale will stall from time to time.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote